Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13061537

Subject: "I think I'm done with theroot.com" Previous topic | Next topic
Ron Burgandy
Member since Sep 16th 2005
1599 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 01:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I think I'm done with theroot.com"

This is one of the dumbest pieces I've read in a while and frankly this type of attitude would lead to less diversity in Hollywood....

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2016/08/no-zendaya-in-spider-man-homecoming-is-not-the-progress-were-looking-for/

You stay classy okayplayer!!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
you do realize that's half of a point-counterpoint deal right?
Aug 25th 2016
RE: you do realize that's half of a point-counterpoint deal right?
Aug 25th 2016
uhhh, but you do realize this IS part of the plan
Aug 25th 2016
RE: uhhh, but you do realize this IS part of the plan
Aug 25th 2016
      if we limited think-pieces to only those worthy....
Aug 25th 2016
the movie has just started filming
Aug 25th 2016
I kinda agree with the article
Aug 25th 2016
There's a good point about the roles that WOC are cast into
Aug 25th 2016
in superhoero movies that just women in general
Aug 25th 2016
hes right
Aug 25th 2016

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 03:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "you do realize that's half of a point-counterpoint deal right?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2016/08/yes-zendaya-in-spider-man-is-the-mary-jane-we-all-hope-for/

the quality of the writing in totality notwithstanding, what is your issue with what was said?

i agree that taking traditionally a white characters and making them black (or the reverse) isn't as cool as developing NEW well rounded characters of color. i agree that its lazy to do it that way, and that we shouldn't trip over ourselves to celebrate when that happens

i agree that it's bass-ackward for us to get mad at "whitewashing" characters (all the voice actors in an animated movie about minority being white for example) but boogaloo when it happens in our "positive" direction

Ron Burgandy
1599 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 03:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: you do realize that's half of a point-counterpoint deal right?"
In response to Reply # 1

We can agree that developing new characters would be ideal and also not celebrating when they race bend characters. But I also think there is no reason to complain about Zendaya getting the part....I don't recall seeing the production company using this as a marketing tactic to drive Black people to the theater to support this film. Why can it not be that she earned the part based on her talent and not the production company pandering to minority viewers???

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 03:28 PM

4. "uhhh, but you do realize this IS part of the plan"
In response to Reply # 2

to get more black seats in the theater

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Ron Burgandy
1599 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 03:31 PM

5. "RE: uhhh, but you do realize this IS part of the plan"
In response to Reply # 4

Even if that's the case, is this worthy of a think piece? We want representation on the big screen and when we get it people still complain....I agree we shouldn't go out and "boogaloo" either but this is really nothing to bitch about.

If anything it's counterproductive and will cause production companies to say screw it and continue with business as usual.

Selah
16484 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 04:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "if we limited think-pieces to only those worthy...."
In response to Reply # 5
Thu Aug-25-16 04:06 PM by Selah

there would be very little internet left

did you check the response-record post?

THAT is just as bad

so....

if your real point is you only want quality content, then yeah - you prolly *should* stop reading theroot.com, then okayplayer.com, then....

Selah
16484 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 03:41 PM

7. "the movie has just started filming"
In response to Reply # 2

>....I don't recall seeing the production
>company using this as a marketing tactic to drive Black people
>to the theater to support this film.

this is marvel getting ahead by dropping unconfirmed rumors to see how folks will react

>Why can it not be that
>she earned the part based on her talent and not the production
>company pandering to minority viewers???

it could be that theoretically (she won off her talent), however we have a track record of this type of behavior being exactly that (pandering)

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 03:27 PM

3. "I kinda agree with the article"
In response to Reply # 1

I would prefer if she was his new love interest.

I remember the fast and furious broad being mad at black actors "stealing" white roles when changing popular white characters to black ones.

I didn't agree but i think it was mostly her wording. Made it sound like white actors were struggling for roles.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 03:36 PM

6. "There's a good point about the roles that WOC are cast into"
In response to Reply # 0

Almost always the "love interest" of the white man that's the lead of the show.

Selah
16484 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 04:07 PM

9. "in superhoero movies that just women in general"
In response to Reply # 6

except, so far, for amanda waller and wonderwoman (the latter of which will have HER lover-sidekick too..eat THAT dudes )

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 05:56 PM

10. "hes right"
In response to Reply # 0

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

Lobby General Discussion topic #13061537 Previous topic | Next topic