Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13060173

Subject: "I've never been this hot about $45! Let's talk scams you been caught in" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15893 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 02:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I've never been this hot about $45! Let's talk scams you been caught in"
Tue Aug-23-16 02:24 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

I guess this isn't technically a scam. But it feels like it.
So I rented a car a few months ago (Dollar Rent A Car). The city I was in has a bunch of express toll roads that are easy to get on accidentally. I was good at avoiding them but slipped up a couple of times.

No big deal, I thought. I'm sure that I'll just have to pay the tolls and some type of admin fee.

I just opened my mail. Shiiiittttttt!!! They want me to pay the tolls (3 tolls, total $1.90) plus an admin fee. The admin fee? $15. PER TOLL. Total= $45!!

http://i.makeagif.com/media/8-28-2015/WlsZqq.gif

I'm lucky I only got caught in three. I don't know how they get away with this.

Anyways, have you ever been scammed? Or felt scammed (as is the case here)?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
haha, i was in cali and was on some toll roads and me and the wife
Aug 23rd 2016
first time in NYC, find the queen...
Aug 23rd 2016
lmao damn homie.
Aug 23rd 2016
i was 15... they got me good
Aug 23rd 2016
Be glad you didn't Lochte yourself lol
Aug 23rd 2016
      lolol
Aug 23rd 2016
i started jhs in 6th grade, but there were only like 3 6th grade classes
Aug 23rd 2016
aye little dude from across the street. Let me hold a dolla.
Aug 23rd 2016
lol....my barber was JUST complaining about this to me Saturday...
Aug 23rd 2016
toll bill from Hampton roads was $1.50 with a $3 convenience fee
Aug 23rd 2016
fell for the white van speakers scam for $150
Aug 23rd 2016
Elaborate.
Aug 23rd 2016
the speakers are cheap knock offs.
Aug 23rd 2016
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam
Aug 23rd 2016
I've seen the same scam in Philly, NJ and CT
Aug 23rd 2016
yes the same script..incl buy me a beer etc
Aug 23rd 2016
      I almost got got the first time. What saved me was the brand name
Aug 24th 2016
           they showed me the magazine lol
Aug 24th 2016
Dude tried to get me with that in the BoA parking lot.
Aug 23rd 2016
I got a good one.
Aug 23rd 2016
lol @ that picture
Aug 23rd 2016
If you were driving by yourself
Aug 23rd 2016
      no need to fix it.
Aug 23rd 2016
So, this dude I know had this idea to "flip" a burner...
Aug 23rd 2016
hahaha
Aug 23rd 2016
That's nothing. The real gun scam is robbing the buyer of the gun
Aug 23rd 2016
      lol, that kinda sounds more like robbery than a scam
Aug 24th 2016
Lol i'm still mad over some man fast talking me out of $50 20 years ago
Aug 23rd 2016
my homie in philly got beat for $100...
Aug 23rd 2016
in AC old dude in bathroom took us for 45, had a ring, said he was a thi...
Aug 23rd 2016
Some work from home shit.
Aug 23rd 2016
man, my former co-worker who I still keep in touch with...
Aug 23rd 2016
      RE: man, my former co-worker who I still keep in touch with...
Aug 23rd 2016
My mother got pulled into a totally awful potentially fatal scam 20+ yea...
Aug 23rd 2016
got robbed in Crenshaw when i was in HS / not even joking / nm
Aug 23rd 2016
not so much a scam but in 7th grade i had a switchblade comb
Aug 23rd 2016
LMAO!!!!!!`
Aug 23rd 2016
hahaha
Aug 24th 2016
LOL
Aug 24th 2016
i went through the same thing when I was...9 with my second bike
Aug 24th 2016
HAAHAHHAHAHHAAHA
Aug 24th 2016
LOL!!!
Aug 24th 2016
reminds me of documentary 12 Oclock Boys....
Aug 25th 2016
I fought so many Cholo's & Jewish kids in the 90's..lol
Sep 04th 2016
early 2000's, thought IT field would be a good look for me....
Aug 24th 2016
gadamn that was a good ass hustle
Aug 24th 2016
on the floor is a pic of that latina amongst the debris from the move
Aug 24th 2016
HA!!!! YES!
Aug 24th 2016
i came close to signing up for one of those when i was 18
Aug 24th 2016
how could you still be on the hook for all that loot though?
Aug 24th 2016
      The way the loan was set up was just all kinds of lame....
Aug 25th 2016
           fuuuuuuuck
Aug 26th 2016
I signed up for a small neighborhood gym when i moved.
Aug 24th 2016
What EYE wanna know is, WHO are these magical moving companies
Aug 24th 2016
      lol that's what i was wondering
Aug 24th 2016
           Mayflower
Aug 24th 2016
Saw an army buddy get got in a street card game.
Aug 24th 2016
I feel his pain... they took my 20 so fast in Manhattan
Aug 25th 2016
great post
Aug 25th 2016
years ago Im driving my old ass car
Sep 04th 2016
LOL those body work gypsies are the worst
Sep 05th 2016

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59131 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 02:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "haha, i was in cali and was on some toll roads and me and the wife"
In response to Reply # 0

disregarded them bc we just wanted to get to where we needed to go.

Remember like 5 days after we got back home and called the car rental agency and they were like yeah, we're gonna get tickets we'll forward them to you, but you can try to call the agency and explain what happened. I did and they just made us pay the toll no extra fees or tickets.

I don't know why the rental agencies don't give you a heads up about the tolls in the first place. Well i know why yours didn't lol

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79349 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 02:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "first time in NYC, find the queen..."
In response to Reply # 0

shit happened so fast...

i lied and told my sister it must of fell out my pocket.

VA got us on a toll road in hampton roads. kept looking for the toll booths. no 15 dollar admin fee tho

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cenario
59131 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 02:32 PM

4. "lmao damn homie."
In response to Reply # 2

>shit happened so fast...
>
>i lied and told my sister it must of fell out my pocket.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

legsdiamond
79349 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 02:40 PM

7. "i was 15... they got me good"
In response to Reply # 4

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15893 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 02:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Be glad you didn't Lochte yourself lol"
In response to Reply # 2

>shit happened so fast...
>
>i lied and told my sister it must of fell out my pocket.
>

Cenario
59131 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 03:19 PM

11. "lolol"
In response to Reply # 6

Cenario
59131 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 02:31 PM

3. "i started jhs in 6th grade, but there were only like 3 6th grade classes"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-23-16 02:31 PM by Cenario

for really smart kids(plug, plug, plug) and the rest of the school was 7th and 8th graders...i was a tall skinny kid (like 6ft 140) that stuck out and would always be someone that olders picked on.

In any event, some short 8th grader comes up to me in the beginning of the school year and was introduced himself and was like yo, i know everybody in this school, anybody mess with you let me know.

So for a month i'm chilling, i'd see him in the hall he'd say whats up and chat with me..then about mid october dude asks if i have a dollar, i give it to him....next week, same deal....about a month later same deal....all in all i prolly gave homie like $15 and never utilized his services. Homie was like the mob.

Me and my boys finally ran into some neighborhood problems in 8th grade but by then, dude was probably hustling freshmans at Mafioso High

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 03:31 PM

13. "aye little dude from across the street. Let me hold a dolla."
In response to Reply # 3

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Dstl1
Charter member
56192 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 02:38 PM

5. "lol....my barber was JUST complaining about this to me Saturday..."
In response to Reply # 0

he rented a Yukon to take his family to Dallas for a family reunion. I've driven to Dallas and Houston from the Lou, so I know the route. It's mad tolls. He SWEARS he paid at every one of them, but a week after getting back, he got a bill in the mail for $40. I drove from the Lou to Virginia last month and there was mega tolls in Pennsylvania...and a couple in Maryland, too. I made sure I ain't bullshit around. As far as I can recall, though, all them joints had a live human in the booth.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

legsdiamond
79349 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 02:43 PM

8. "toll bill from Hampton roads was $1.50 with a $3 convenience fee"
In response to Reply # 5

no tolls, no where to pay if you are from out of town.

straight theft

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 03:07 PM

9. "fell for the white van speakers scam for $150"
In response to Reply # 0

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15893 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 03:08 PM

10. "Elaborate."
In response to Reply # 9

Speakers were really a box of bricks or something?

Cenario
59131 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 03:22 PM

12. "the speakers are cheap knock offs."
In response to Reply # 10

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 04:12 PM

17. "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam"
In response to Reply # 10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam

ou walk out of Home Depot with a new faucet for that bathroom project you’ve been putting off, and as you head to your car, two guys in a windowless van roll up. At this point, your instincts should tell you that nothing good could come of the situation, but then the friendly guy behind the wheel tells you he’s got the deal of the century for you. Suddenly, you can’t help but take a closer look at what might be a potential steal to be had.
We feel for you if you’ve fallen for the scam, but the fact is, you no longer have any excuse with today’s technology being what it is. You have a lengthy Wikipedia entry on the subject and dozens of caught-in-the-act videos on YouTube at your disposal, not to mention a general cavalcade of consumers on forums, blogs, and watchdog sites, all ready to warn you about what’s become known as the white van speaker scam. Yet, as you read this, someone, somewhere, is falling victim to the hoax.
Related: If you’re waiting for Windows 10, watch out for this email scam
The white van speaker scam is a global phenomenon. According to Scam Shield, the scam is currently active in 24 cities, four countries, and three continents. It subsists because of the avarice of those who conceived of it, the cunning of those who sell it, and, most of all, the ignorance of those it ensnares. Fortunately, a little information can go a long way in helping you see the scam for what it truly is.
How it Works
The white van speaker scam is simple in its execution. Salesman are hired to peddle inferior, faux-name-brand speakers from a van or SUV, or just about any vehicle with a cargo area. The speaker equipment is cheap, shoddy, and generally un-sellable via traditional channels. To work around that fact, the scammer employs a fictitious backstory. They’ll tell you that they requested too many units and haven’t been able to unload them all, that they’re on their way back to the warehouse and there will be hell to pay if they show up with any inventory left. They’ll present you brochures, Web addresses, business cards, and box tops, all of which will seem to point to the fact that this is your lucky day and you’ll be getting an incredibly expensive speaker at a once-in-a-lifetime discount. The salesperson will likely be aggressive, charismatic, and accommodating. For instance, do have to run to the ATM to grab some extra cash? No problem, they’ll wait. Even if even you’re a bit skeptical, you might justify the purchase by saying to yourself, “it’s such a cheap price, how bad could these speakers be?”
Seriously, they are that bad
Think Michael Jackson circa 1987. Ever heard of Bang Audio, Paradyme, or Klausen Audio? Of course you haven’t — and it’s not because they’re exclusive, expensive brands. Many of these obscure outfits exist just for the sake of these kinds of scams, often obtaining licenses and distribution rights in effort to create a veneer of legitimacy. Even their names are designed to make you think you’ve heard of them before, as they names often evoke already established brands such as Bang & Olufsen.
However, you don’t have to be an audiophile to hear the difference. There’s no complex engineering, testing, or research behind these products as they’re merely hunks of plastic with the cheapest drivers the manufacturers can muster. Typically, they won’t even sport a crossover network, meaning speakers that really have no business producing bass or treble are tasked with producing the deepest lows and airy highs. Just imagine Mariah Carey as a baritone, or Bryn Terfel as a soprano, and you’ll start to understand.
Watch it in action
If you’re worried about being scammed, or you don’t know if you’ve been scammed, the Internet is the best resource you have available. Simply Google the company name, or a description of the situation, and tack on the word “scam” at the end before searching. If something is of dubious morality, legality, or value, the Internet will most certainly be abuzz with buyer beware sentiment.
YouTube is the best resource of all for this type of scam, one that allows you to see precisely how the shtick unfolds in real-world circumstances. Below is such an example.

So, is this illegal?
Unscrupulous? Immoral? Illegitimate? Yes. Illegal? Unfortunately, no. The companies involved will be sure to cover their hinds by paying their taxes and acquiring licenses and distribution rights, so it’s rare that you’ll be able to nail them on those fronts. Furthermore, the swindlers selling their speakers are almost always independent contractors. Since they’re not employed by the company, the company isn’t liable for any kind of false advertising the salespeople may engage in. You could choose to bring legal action against a particular salesperson, but once they pull out of the parking lot, it’s going to be very difficult to track them down. Even if you do find them, any case you bring is basically going to be your word against theirs, and if you do recover damages, the requisite time, energy, and court costs will probably exceed the value of what you recoup.
Who is behind this?
There were multiple reports from 2009 that ousted Michael Joseph Amoroso as the mastermind behind the morally bankrupt operation. An entry on Ripoff Report — made by a swindled scamee — claims to have ferreted out the master scammer with the help of a private detective. The same individual even posted the location of Amoroso’s house on another forum.
It’s unclear whether Amoroso continues to be involved with the scheme, but the venom behind the Ripoff Report entry and elsewhere on the Internet effectively demonstrates both the prevalence of the scam and the anger of those affected. However, beyond Amoroso, there is a veritable laundry list of companies that are complicit in this scam. Below is a list of implicated brands and companies, compiled from various sources around the Web.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/dont-be-a-sucker-the-white-van-speaker-scam-explained/#ixzz4IBz52HdN
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13546 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 04:48 PM

19. "I've seen the same scam in Philly, NJ and CT"
In response to Reply # 9

Same exact script every time.

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 05:01 PM

21. "yes the same script..incl buy me a beer etc"
In response to Reply # 19

>Same exact script every time.

my dumb ass fell for it hook line n sinker..THEN I looked it up and read about it after the fact

I been waiting for a mutherfucker to try it again all these years

flipnile
13546 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 02:24 PM

44. "I almost got got the first time. What saved me was the brand name"
In response to Reply # 21

I'm no expert, but I was into car/home audio enough at the time to know a lot of brands. Everything sounded good except for a few things:

1. didn't recognize the brand name
2. dudes said their boss would be livid if the brought the speakers back. what boss would be livid about inventory coming back (as opposed to going missing)
3. why was dude selling $1,200 speakers for $150 in the age of ebay?

I passed, then once I saw the same scam months later in a different state I was glad I did.

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 02:33 PM

46. "they showed me the magazine lol"
In response to Reply # 44

>I'm no expert, but I was into car/home audio enough at the
>time to know a lot of brands. Everything sounded good except
>for a few things:
>
>1. didn't recognize the brand name
>2. dudes said their boss would be livid if the brought the
>speakers back. what boss would be livid about inventory coming
>back (as opposed to going missing)
>3. why was dude selling $1,200 speakers for $150 in the age of
>ebay?
>
>
>I passed, then once I saw the same scam months later in a
>different state I was glad I did.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23862 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 05:36 PM

27. "Dude tried to get me with that in the BoA parking lot."
In response to Reply # 9

"Oh man, are you interested in an media center setup? I tried to install one a few minutes ago, but the owners weren't home."

I think everything is a sting, so I was like NOPE, but he got some Mexicans with it a few seconds after I declined.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 03:37 PM

14. "I got a good one. "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-23-16 03:39 PM by double negative

The first and last car I ever owned was the car I learned how to drive with.

It was a hand me down from pops.

In the years I owned it I managed to put some dents in it. The first dent was in the front left panel.

One day I was waiting at a red light and a gypsy...an actually gypsy with his whole family in the car looks over (he was at my right) and he says in a thick accent while moving his pointed finger back and forth between my dented panel and my face -

"Friend! I fix for you?! Your panel! Your Panel! I fix for you?!

I said "...uh, how much?"

He says "80 dollar. 80 dollar. Pull over?"

The light turns green, I pull off on a side street right by the intersection. Dude gets out, we shake hands. He shakes his head while looking at the dent and then he goes to his car and pulls out a fucking dent puller. It wasnt just any dent puller but a hammer dent puller. It works by making a hole (a HOLE) in the steel. Once the hole is made the puller operator pulls the sheet metal into place.

This is a fine way to pull a dent but the thing is that you have to make plans to fix that area immediately or else run the risk of having the exposed holes rusting.

He was going for it and with each hole (he was on the third one at that point) I kept thinking to myself "Oh shit. Oh shit. OH SHIT."

I said "Yo my man. Stop. Stop. STOP. YO MAN STOP. I dont want that"

He said "No? Look I have kid. You pay me"

Now, the thing that got me was that there was no discussion about how the work would be done. Before I could say yes or no he went to work with the puller.

We have a back and forth and I'm heated because I was 20 at the time and 80 bucks was a fuck ton of money.

Eventually we agreed to get to our cars and drive to a nearby gas station so I could grab some cash from the ATM. When I finally grabbed enough money to pay the man I could see out the corner of of my eye his grandmother in the passenger seat gesturing for me to come close.

I reluctantly handed him the money and crouched to hear the old lady better. Shes talking and gesturing with her hands and it hits me, shes saying

"I read palm. I read palm for you? You want palm read? I read palm for you?"

I was like......ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

I got in my car and noped the fuck out of there.

They got me for 80 bucks off 10 minutes of work and I drove away with my car looking even more fucked up than before.

for reference...these are puller holes: https://spitfiremk3.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/image_141.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15893 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 03:51 PM

15. "lol @ that picture"
In response to Reply # 14

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 03:54 PM

16. "If you were driving by yourself"
In response to Reply # 14

that story could have ended a whole lot worse.

How much did it cost to fit the damage that dude did to your car afterwards?

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

double negative
22151 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 04:15 PM

18. "no need to fix it. "
In response to Reply # 16

1. this was Los Angeles so the panel did eventually rust but I didnt have to deal with snow and road salt

2. when i got the car from pops it already had 160k on the clock so I was really just driving it to the ground

but

2a. i got it to 220k miles and sold it to go to college and whats funny is that the person who bought it totaled it in a month. Even funnier is that I ran into the car 7 years later in a totally different city HUNDREDS Of miles from where it first lived. guess it was revived. Old Toyotas/Hondas keep going man.

flipnile
13546 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 04:59 PM

20. "So, this dude I know had this idea to "flip" a burner..."
In response to Reply # 0

Let's call this dude Ralph. Apparently, Ralph knew a guy that was selling a little .380 for $200 (illegally, obviously). Ralph wasn't interested himself, but he happened to know another guy that was looking for something. Ralph called the other guy up, told him that he had something for $300, and the deal was made. So, Ralph goes to buy the gun from the first guy for $200, and everything apparently went well. Ralph immediately goes to the other guy's house to sell him the burner for $300. Simple, right?

Well, it turns out that the "gun" Ralph bought from the first guy was really a small cordless drill with a socket in it wrapped in duct tape. Ralph says when he went to buy it, they met in a dark park, and it was wrapped in a t-shirt. The guy showed him the butt of the drill, and that was enough for Ralph. He said the other dude laughed at him.

This was all told to me after it was done, so I didn't even have a chance to tell him that it was a bad idea, for a multitude of reasons.

legsdiamond
79349 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 05:12 PM

23. "hahaha"
In response to Reply # 20

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 05:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "That's nothing. The real gun scam is robbing the buyer of the gun"
In response to Reply # 20

because you know he doesn't have a pistol.

it's potentially the safest jux on earth. learned it in Chicago, worked better in L.A.

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg

Get 25% off www.karmaloop.com w/ rep code JR9103 |
Nike, G-Star, Herschel, Adidas (Men's & Women's clothing)

flipnile
13546 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 02:40 PM

47. "lol, that kinda sounds more like robbery than a scam"
In response to Reply # 26

Mynoriti
Charter member
38799 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 05:11 PM

22. "Lol i'm still mad over some man fast talking me out of $50 20 years ago"
In response to Reply # 0

when i was a cashier at a home improvement store. he bought something and gave me a 50, i gave him change back, he told me he thought he only given me a $20... then started with the "well give me change for this, now this" fast-talk spiel, and even though part of me knew what was happening. i was too confused to keep up. By the time i figured out exactly what he did he was long gone, and i knew I'd be short, and played dumb..

so yeah, it wasn't even my money, it resulted in getting me written up and transferred to building materials where i mostly rode a forklift all day and was much happier (i hated being a cashier), but still FUCK that old man for getting the best of me lol

legsdiamond
79349 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 05:15 PM

25. "my homie in philly got beat for $100... "
In response to Reply # 22

we worked at a print shop and dude asked for change, started fast talking and next thing you know he was like FUUUCK that got just got me for $100.

Manager wasnt even that mad, she thought it was funny cause he was a slick talker and met his match.

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 05:14 PM

24. "in AC old dude in bathroom took us for 45, had a ring, said he was a thi..."
In response to Reply # 0

took it too a jeweler.."Its no gold" lol...hell who cares. we knew we were taking a chance

JFrost1117
23862 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 05:43 PM

28. "Some work from home shit."
In response to Reply # 0

Back when I was applying to fuckin 10-15 jobs a day, one finally responded back. In hindsight, the whole thing was fucked up, but I couldn't see it going in. I did the "interview" over fuckin Yahoo Messenger, and "they" were like, cool, you're hired. We just need to send you your laptop to get started.

Thennnn, the next day they were like "Actually, we're gonna send you the money to get what you need". They sent a check for like $2100 that I cashed, then I had to do some weird shit at Western Union to send a portion of it back. So, on fucking pay day, I check my account, and the $2100 is gone, and my pay check, and the shit from Western Union. Account completely emptied. On pay day, when my car note is due.

I called the company that was supposed to be hiring me and they were like, "We've NEVER had a work from home position." Local police were like "Welp, nothing we can do, since it happened online." I submitted it as a cyber crime to the FBI, and I've literally never heard anything else about it.

Dstl1
Charter member
56192 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 06:07 PM

30. "man, my former co-worker who I still keep in touch with..."
In response to Reply # 28

his wife got gaffled in a style similar to this just a couple of years ago. She LOVES purses...and buys and sells them a lot on Ebay...at least used to. She was selling an expensive jawn. Buyer hit her up like...I'm from out of town, but a friend of mine will be coming there in the next day or two. She said she'd send her a check overnight and she could cash it and give her friend the purse. Got the check, deposited it, used money off said check to go out to eat, buy clothes and some other shit. Met her "friend" to give her the purse. About three days later...check was returned...BoA put a dent in their account for the whole thing. They were straight drained of the original check amount PLUS what they spent out of it. Dude was at work crying real tears like "man, she always puts us in bad spots". He went to our boss and he gave him a SUPER advance loan to get his checking account right. Ebay was like....Sorry, fam...you shouldn't have spent a dime until the check cleared.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

JFrost1117
23862 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 06:41 PM

33. "RE: man, my former co-worker who I still keep in touch with..."
In response to Reply # 30

Lol, I didn't cry, but I probably would've been justified. So many points of fuckery in these situations. I'm out of money, I don't have a job like I thought I did, And so many fuckin places were like "Sucks for you, buddy."

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 06:05 PM

29. "My mother got pulled into a totally awful potentially fatal scam 20+ yea..."
In response to Reply # 0

She lost $300 and was frankly lucky that she wasn't murdered.

Long story, so I won't bore you with it, but it made me SO ANGRY when I heard about it that I didn't give anyone any handouts for at least a year (the innocent always get punished, right?) because anyone asked for change made me think of my mother getting scammed out of $300 that she couldn't afford.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

2Future4U
Charter member
3346 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 06:25 PM

31. "got robbed in Crenshaw when i was in HS / not even joking / nm"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.instagram.com/christiancgarrido/

Hussein ibn Malik "if he escaped on a horse he might be realest nigga ever, EVER..2013 Nat Turner with the burner"

MaxPtah "Django is real homie.."

PoppaGeorge "If you're a child of the 70's, Ye looks like

Mynoriti
Charter member
38799 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 06:37 PM

32. "not so much a scam but in 7th grade i had a switchblade comb"
In response to Reply # 0

it was the first week of school, and was fucking with it, and this cholo walks up to me like, says something about me having a knife.

"I say nah it's just a comb, see?"

"Oh that's cool holmes, lemme see it?"

"Ok"

He pops it open "Oh shit, holmes that's crazy. He I'm gonna go show my homeboy, I'll be right back ok?"

"Oh ok

"Oh

Dstl1
Charter member
56192 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 07:23 PM

34. "LMAO!!!!!!`"
In response to Reply # 32

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 12:15 AM

35. "hahaha"

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 09:11 AM

39. "LOL"

double negative
22151 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 03:01 PM

48. "i went through the same thing when I was...9 with my second bike"

OG crips were like "ay cuh' lemme ride yo' bike lil' homie"

i got the bike back but only after my family hunted them fools down after a few weeks

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 03:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
51. "HAAHAHHAHAHHAAHA"

I'm gonna get in trouble at my desk. LOL

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 07:49 PM

52. "LOL!!!"

Since 1976

KnowOne
Charter member
39940 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 09:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
54. "reminds me of documentary 12 Oclock Boys...."

When Pug finally gets a dirt bike, and kid at the bball court asks to ride it.
Kid: "its not enough room to wheelite here, Imma go around the corner, I be right back...."

The slow progression on Pugs face over the next few minutes as he slowly has the accept the fact that the kid aint never coming back with his bike. Brutal.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Sun Sep-04-16 09:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
59. "I fought so many Cholo's & Jewish kids in the 90's..lol"

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg

Just trying to share the world - www.JySbr.net

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 06:01 AM

36. "early 2000's, thought IT field would be a good look for me...."
In response to Reply # 0

despite the fact that I already had a B.S. Engineering from the best HBCU engineering program on earth....

Signed up to one of them rinky dink For Profit "computer science" schools.... Dude smooth talked me into signing up for the whole get down, A+, A++, MSsomethingoranother, I can't even remember what all that dumb shit was...but ultimately dude gased me up like I was gonna come out the program like a GOD and be marketable as Steve Jobs..... smh...

Before the fckin A+ class even finished a full semester, roll up to the school one evening to go to class only to find THERE WON'T NO MORE CLASS!

Folk...
The school had literally vacated the premises over night yo! All the lil project pc's were gone, files gone, furniture gone, people GONE. Felt like that episode of Seinfeld when George had discovered that exclusive club in a meat factory that only allowed beautiful models entry and then he tried to take Jerry to see it and it was nothing there but a construction site... except...my situation wasn't as funny as that... (but there was this FINE latina that used to come to class very scantily clad and it was great motivation)....

I was still on the hook with Key Education Services for $20K.. yes $TWENTYFUCKINKAY!!

TO.THIS.DAY. i'm salty about that $20K fck up yo....They got me...Key Education Services (now known as Key Bank) got me....I got my self....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

legsdiamond
79349 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 08:59 AM

37. "gadamn that was a good ass hustle"
In response to Reply # 36

just picked the school up and left town.

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 09:06 AM

38. "on the floor is a pic of that latina amongst the debris from the move"

>despite the fact that I already had a B.S. Engineering from
>the best HBCU engineering program on earth....
>
>Signed up to one of them rinky dink For Profit "computer
>science" schools.... Dude smooth talked me into signing up for
>the whole get down, A+, A++, MSsomethingoranother, I can't
>even remember what all that dumb shit was...but ultimately
>dude gased me up like I was gonna come out the program like a
>GOD and be marketable as Steve Jobs..... smh...
>
>Before the fckin A+ class even finished a full semester, roll
>up to the school one evening to go to class only to find THERE
>WON'T NO MORE CLASS!
>
>Folk...
>The school had literally vacated the premises over night yo!
>All the lil project pc's were gone, files gone, furniture
>gone, people GONE. Felt like that episode of Seinfeld when
>George had discovered that exclusive club in a meat factory
>that only allowed beautiful models entry and then he tried to
>take Jerry to see it and it was nothing there but a
>construction site... except...my situation wasn't as funny as
>that... (but there was this FINE latina that used to come to
>class very scantily clad and it was great motivation)....
>
>I was still on the hook with Key Education Services for $20K..
>yes $TWENTYFUCKINKAY!!
>
>TO.THIS.DAY. i'm salty about that $20K fck up yo....They got
>me...Key Education Services (now known as Key Bank) got
>me....I got my self....
>
>"Get ready....for your blessing....."

FLUIDJ
44604 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 09:23 AM

41. "HA!!!! YES!"
In response to Reply # 38

Mynoriti
Charter member
38799 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 01:26 PM

43. "i came close to signing up for one of those when i was 18"
Wed Aug-24-16 01:28 PM by Mynoriti

because i wasn't going to school.

except this was the 90 and it was some offbrand telecom school. when i went to meet with them, dude gave me some details and dropped a ton of paperwork on me encouraging me to sign up now because enrollment was limited. it was something like $40 grand which he said was nothing compared to what i'll be making. i wound up telling him i'd think about it and never went back

the truth is the real reason I didn't do it because i was working full time and partying so much i thought it would interfere too much with my social life

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 03:21 PM

50. "how could you still be on the hook for all that loot though?"

seems like there's gotta be a way to get outta that since they literally shut down.

FLUIDJ
44604 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 09:54 AM

55. "The way the loan was set up was just all kinds of lame...."
In response to Reply # 50

Key Bank was set up at the time as the lending partner for student loans to these types of schools. When you registered, they released ALL of the funds to the school UP FCKIN FRONT. (This was before the financial crisis mind you...so banks were getting away with some grimy stuff in all aspects of lending, not just housing market) So they considered the services rendered or whatever once they released funds.

The school filled bankruptcy to protect itself from creditors or whatever....so the students were waaaaaaaaay down on the list of folks to get restitution (if any assets of value were even found). Key Bank sent some kinda form letter talking about they were victims too..and they were listed as creditors on the bankruptcy filing, yada yada yada.....YOU STILL OWE US DOE!! ...

Rather than fck my credit up, I just continued to pay on the damn thing till it was paid off. Didn't have the energy or time or knowledge to do anything else at the time.

>seems like there's gotta be a way to get outta that since
>they literally shut down.

Dstl1
Charter member
56192 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 07:26 AM

58. "fuuuuuuuck"
In response to Reply # 55

Cenario
59131 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 09:17 AM

40. "I signed up for a small neighborhood gym when i moved."
In response to Reply # 0

Paid for the year in full (around $350 after fees) bc it saved like $200. Joint was real small, like no changing room small just a bathroom. Lockers were on the main floor. I only ever saw one person working there (the owner)

I went about 5 times and then my schedule changed and I stopped going. Went back about 4 months later and everything was gone. I was tight. Every now and then I'd drive by and see the empty spot through the glass and get tight all over again. Once after driving by, i had looked up the gym online and found the facebook page and apparently the owner just packed everything up one night and disappeared never to be seen or heard from again.

The part that really made me feel like crap was that i could have contacted my credit card company and they would have worked with me to refund part of the charges but i waited too long.

FLUIDJ
44604 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 09:27 AM

42. "What EYE wanna know is, WHO are these magical moving companies"
In response to Reply # 40

that can take on such a large move and execute it so quickly???

And they GOTTA know they are aiding some shady shit....like, damn moving folk...can y'all at least have some morals??

Cenario
59131 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 02:32 PM

45. "lol that's what i was wondering"
In response to Reply # 42

who moving all that equipment in the middle of the night?

legsdiamond
79349 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 03:11 PM

49. "Mayflower "
In response to Reply # 45

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/sports/year_in_sports/03.29.html

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 08:31 PM

53. "Saw an army buddy get got in a street card game."
In response to Reply # 0

A group of us were in Spain and at one point, three of us decided to walk around town (Barcelona). Got to an area were a few dudes had a 3 card Monte game going on within a crowd of spectators. As expected, a random lady, whom I'm sure was their plant, won some money, which would convince others to try their hand at winning. I had said to the other two who were with me something along the lines of 'you would have to be a sucker to play this game. By now, folks should know that this is a hustle.'

One of the cats I was with stepped up to the table. I had figured he had heard me but was gonna try anyway. Due to knowing that dude is a fast talker, I figured that he knew what he was doing and was going to out hustle the hustlers. The hustlers started with the "friend" fast talking with ol' boy and managed to pull some of the extra euros he was holding out of his hand and sat them on the table.

Inevitably, dude lost the money (if memory serves me correctly it was the equivalent of around $200). Dude was livid. He started yelling about "policia" and I kid you not, the dudes quickly packed up and smooth blended in with the crowd for their escape; just like the movies. You couldn't even point those fools out for jack.

I told dude that I thought he knew that was a hustle and he yelled about how he didn't know and asked why didn't I tell him. I told him I thought he had heard me and wanted to try anyway. Dude was frothing at the mouth and was all ready to leave after that. That was the smoothest con I had ever seen.

Since 1976

legsdiamond
79349 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 08:08 PM

57. "I feel his pain... they took my 20 so fast in Manhattan"
In response to Reply # 53

I had big plans for that 20. This was back when nyc subway was like $1 or $1.50

my sister made me take rolls of pennies to the subway booth

Cenario
59131 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 09:57 AM

56. "great post"
In response to Reply # 0

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43347 posts
Sun Sep-04-16 11:05 PM

60. "years ago Im driving my old ass car"
In response to Reply # 0

Car was banged up and had one major dent that was getting rusty.

I pull into a home depot and dude scopes me out and says Ill fix that shit for $50.
I think I gotta pull into a shop somewhere so Im like "nah im good"
hes like I can do that shit right here I got all the supplies in the car

I had been thinking about it for awhile, so Im like 50, bucks, cool.

This mofo proceeds to pull out the mallet and hits the dent our a few times and spray paints it with a base coat that isnt the same color as my car....

im like wtf...hes like nah we dont have that color paint, you gotta do that yourself. The dents are better but far from fixed...

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Mynoriti
Charter member
38799 posts
Mon Sep-05-16 03:28 AM

61. "LOL those body work gypsies are the worst"
In response to Reply # 60

Lobby General Discussion topic #13060173 Previous topic | Next topic