Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13052211

Subject: "OKScience: So do new findings on female orgasms imply..." Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Aug-02-16 01:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OKScience: So do new findings on female orgasms imply..."

That pleasure superseded natural selection (wrong term)? It seems based on this study, female orgasms were once the signal to drop eggs which would seemingly be more efficient than monthly cycles. Could our pleasure sensors have overridden nature in this case?

*****Swipe*****

They noted that many female mammals release oxytocin and prolactin during sex — the hormones released by women during orgasms. What’s more, in many of those species, females use a radically different kind of reproduction.

While women release an egg each month, other female mammals, such as rabbits and camels, release an egg only after mating with a male.

Ovulatory cycles evolved in only a few lineages of mammals, including our own, Dr. Pavlicev and Dr. Wagner found. Before then, our ancient mammal ancestors originally relied on ovulation triggered by sex with a male.

Those early mammals developed a clitoris inside the vagina. Only in mammals that evolved ovulatory cycles did the clitoris move away. Based on these findings, Dr. Pavlicev and Dr. Wagner argue that the female orgasm first evolved as a reflex to help females become pregnant.

When early mammals mated, the clitoris could send signals to the brain, triggering hormones that released an egg. Once the egg became fertilized, the hormones may have helped ensure it became implanted in the uterus.

This arrangement has worked well for mammals that rarely encounter males. It helps females make the most of each mating.

But eventually some mammals, including primates like us, started spending their lives in social groups. Females had access to regular sex with males, and orgasm as an ovulatory mechanism was no longer so useful. Our female forebears instead evolved a new system: releasing eggs in a regular cycle.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/02/science/scientists-puzzle-over-a-biological-mystery-the-female-orgasm.html?_r=1&referer=

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Rule of science: wait six months after it hits headlines.
Aug 02nd 2016
so like,
Aug 02nd 2016
From what I understand...
Aug 02nd 2016
I've seen some inside camera work.
Aug 03rd 2016

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22258 posts
Tue Aug-02-16 01:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Rule of science: wait six months after it hits headlines. "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-02-16 01:52 PM by MEAT

Then see if it's a thing or not. The media loves to put half things out for full consumption.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Tue Aug-02-16 01:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "so like, "
In response to Reply # 0

orgasm to induce pregnancy and not so much pleasure?

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8753 posts
Tue Aug-02-16 10:17 PM

3. "From what I understand..."
In response to Reply # 0

An orgasm during sex, by a woman, aids conception. So, maybe the findings in the study cast some light on the origins of that phenomenon.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 03:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I've seen some inside camera work."
In response to Reply # 3

"Most of the hypotheses people have come up with have been difficult to measure—like, umm, the idea that women's orgasms "upsuck" semen into the uterus, facilitating conception—so the question remains largely unanswered."

Sounds silly...but the camera footage seems to suggest this might be legitimate. I wish i could post it up but can't find it. But yah, you see the back wall of her vagina convulse and smashes down...sopping up the semen.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13052211 Previous topic | Next topic