Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13048880

Subject: "Sanders supporters: What will you do to ensure Trump loses?" Previous topic | Next topic
Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 10:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Sanders supporters: What will you do to ensure Trump loses?"

The Sanders campaign has succeeded in catalyzing a political shift and will be a precursor for what's to come among the younger generation of politically active Progressives.

Now that the legitimate grievances of his supporters have been expressed - it's time to ensure that this fraudulent fascist Donald Trump never becomes President.

Sanders supporters: What are you going to do in order to ensure Trump does not become President? Nobody can shame/fear you into voting for Clinton -- you may live in a state where it won't matter - but if you do - are you willing to sacrifice and do what must be done in desperate times?

If you simply cannot authorize a Clinton presidency at the polls - are you willing to go out and lobby Republicans to stay home, vote for Johnson (to siphon votes from Trump), or stir up a fervor within the Republican party that takes its own trash out?

Will you run for a local/state office?

What you shouldn't do: Stay home, do nothing, and complain about the system. If you do that - you did not understand the courage, decency, integrity, and moral imperative of the Sanders movement.

-->

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Oh, I am 100% on board for Hillary.
Jul 25th 2016
I think there are multiple solutions here.
Jul 25th 2016
I believe the only way to preserve momentum is to elect Hillary.
Jul 26th 2016
About the fear....
Jul 26th 2016
Same as always. Vote my beliefs.
Jul 25th 2016
I respect that.
Jul 25th 2016
Vote for Hillary and encourage others to do so as well
Jul 25th 2016
^^^^^ this right here is the right answer
Jul 25th 2016
I'll recruit as many ppl as possible for Stein and sell Rs on Gary
Jul 25th 2016
So your best case scenario is to blame the House of Representatives
Jul 25th 2016
      I'm not shook by that at all.
Jul 27th 2016
Ask Trump supporters to explain how his platform benefits them specifica...
Jul 25th 2016
That's a waste of time and only going to leave you frustrated
Jul 25th 2016
I disagree. While there is a large % of blind Trump voters
Jul 27th 2016
      I agree with this. Alot of people just don't pay attention to politics a...
Jul 28th 2016
its possible to justify anything
Jul 27th 2016
hold my nose and vote for Hilldawg
Jul 26th 2016
Withhold my vote. Not give it to Hillary.
Jul 26th 2016
Most will vote for Hillary ... the others
Jul 26th 2016
subterfuge. fake GOP tweets to support johnson over trump
Jul 26th 2016
good poast. nm
Jul 26th 2016
RE: Sanders supporters: What will you do to ensure Trump loses?
Jul 27th 2016
I've found it to be a fairly viable strategy.
Jul 27th 2016
      Johnson is pulling as much from HRC as Trump
Jul 28th 2016
           I don't think that's true - but am open to be persuaded. Evidence?
Jul 28th 2016
Vote for the DNC's choice of candidate.
Jul 27th 2016
i will vote for Hillary...
Jul 27th 2016
write in
Jul 27th 2016
Stand outside the polls and beat the shit outta whoever looks
Jul 27th 2016
Vote for Hilliary and fake smile while I do it.
Jul 28th 2016
lol - she's lost a significant % of Sanders voters when she hired DWS
Jul 28th 2016
She ain't "hire" ther though...
Aug 01st 2016
      ......then why do it? It is HORRIBLE optics
Aug 01st 2016
           She took the fall for the whole DNC...
Aug 01st 2016
Chomsky brief on Lesser Evil Voting
Aug 01st 2016
Stupid smart people.
Aug 01st 2016
      expound?
Aug 03rd 2016
           mostly, just f**k him for being right
Aug 03rd 2016
                lol
Aug 03rd 2016
I really dislike Hillary, but I'm voting for her. Trump folks can't part...
Aug 01st 2016

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 10:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Oh, I am 100% on board for Hillary."
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't need his speech tonight-- though his reassurance that they're working together to still make sure major portions of Sanders' campaign that I dig come to fruition made me happy.

But it could be Hillary Duff on the ticket and I'd still be with her. Trump literally has me waking and going to sleep in fear. I wish I was exaggerating.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 11:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I think there are multiple solutions here."
In response to Reply # 1

If you can vote for Clinton - fine. But there are a significant amount of voters who can't do that. If that's the case - what can they do? I do not believe that the mere act of voting fulfills one's civic duty. The momentum built from this campaign must not be paralyzed. There are multiple things that can be done to both ensure Trump loses *and* work to reform the current status of duality politics.

-->

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Tue Jul-26-16 12:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "I believe the only way to preserve momentum is to elect Hillary."
In response to Reply # 4

A Trump presidency would crush the momentum and send us genuinely backwards.

If someone is literally unable to vote Hillary, I hope he or she would still work hard toward getting Democrats into the House and Senate, either by volunteering or helping get the word out to friends/family.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Tue Jul-26-16 04:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "About the fear...."
In response to Reply # 1

Around 6 months ago my SO had to establish boundaries in regards to how much i was reading and talking and watching tv about Trump. It was like I KNEW that this dude was gonna pull this off and I felt some sort of weird obligation to warn everybody. I know, i know....it sounds like i need to get a life. But i was legit having nightmares about this shit. Specifically about Mexicans getting rounded up in jeeps at night and parents being torn apart from children.

Basically, she was getting sick of me being obsessed. My father was born under Nazi occupation in Holland so it's been deeply entrenched in me to be wary of political movements like this. My pops still keeps a giant bag of oatmeal under his sink for societal emergency type situations. He used to vacation in Arizona (his favorite place in the world) until they enacted that law where you had to keep identification papers on you at all times. He's never been there since just on principle...so I guess that's just a reflection of how serious he is about shit like this. And with what philosophies he kinda raised me with. In anycase...I wonder if maybe all those war stories implanted in my mind have made me a little paranoid.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 10:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Same as always. Vote my beliefs. "
In response to Reply # 0

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 11:01 PM

3. "I respect that. "
In response to Reply # 2

-->

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 11:05 PM

5. "Vote for Hillary and encourage others to do so as well"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-25-16 11:07 PM by LA2Philly

That being said, once she is elected, continue to utilize the momentum from Bernie's campaign to shift and eventually reinforce new paradigms.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 11:49 PM

9. "^^^^^ this right here is the right answer"
In response to Reply # 5

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 11:40 PM

6. "I'll recruit as many ppl as possible for Stein and sell Rs on Gary"
In response to Reply # 0

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 11:43 PM

7. "So your best case scenario is to blame the House of Representatives"
In response to Reply # 6

for Trump's election.

Fight the good fight!

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 04:42 PM

26. "I'm not shook by that at all. "
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Jul-27-16 04:44 PM by Jon

Those rules were written in a much different time.

Today, in 2016, where all the info is out there, all the numbers, etc, for all to see...I'm fine with daring elected members of congress to pick someone other than the candidate with the most votes. They would be facing the potential of political suicide, or worse, if they deliberately snubbed the people.

Most Americans don't know that rule and would go batshit if it went down any other way than giving the cat with the most votes the win.

I'm fine with putting that explosive ball in the House's lap. They'd know which color wire to cut.

Even if they go and cut the bad wire, then at least we've gotten to a point where ppl are demanding that rule be fixed at once, 2-party gridlock is shaken, 3rd parties are taken seriously, and change is knocking on the door for real.

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 11:49 PM

8. "Ask Trump supporters to explain how his platform benefits them specifica..."
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 11:52 PM

10. "That's a waste of time and only going to leave you frustrated"
In response to Reply # 8

They are simply going to say make America safe and great again.

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 01:32 PM

22. "I disagree. While there is a large % of blind Trump voters"
In response to Reply # 10

There is also a significant % (i'd wager 20-30%) of Trump-leaning voters who really aren't comfortable with him - but because of their loyalty to their party - or because they are so repulsed by Clinton - they just feel like Trump is their only option. But there is a decent % of those polling for Trump who can be convinced otherwise.

-->

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35863 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 03:23 PM

31. "I agree with this. Alot of people just don't pay attention to politics a..."
In response to Reply # 22

they like him and don't like her. period.

but they can be convinced if given some choice facts that make them think...i've done it with a few people...they say "wow i didn't think of it that way...i can't support him"

d

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 03:32 PM

23. "its possible to justify anything"
In response to Reply # 8

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79559 posts
Tue Jul-26-16 07:36 AM

12. "hold my nose and vote for Hilldawg"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Mr. ManC
Member since Jan 26th 2009
11819 posts
Tue Jul-26-16 08:03 AM

13. "Withhold my vote. Not give it to Hillary."
In response to Reply # 0

There is a lot of time between now and November 8th. In that time I would put money into Jill Stein's campaign and get others tk support her. I want to get her to the debate stage and help her build the attention of the Green Party

With that leverage, as Bernie or Bust has successfully done, I would hope that we are able to pull Hillary the rest of the way on these Progressive issues and get her on board the rest of the way with universal single payer, aggressive environmental stances, and ensuring that we have an America as promised.

I don't know what I will do on November 8th but I am done with the Democratic Party. I wish a vote for Hillary would be an insurance policy on ideals but I think it is lip service. And that most of her supporters will defend her no matter what doesn't give a lot of leverage to holding her accountable.

We'll see though.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Tue Jul-26-16 05:55 PM

15. "Most will vote for Hillary ... the others"
In response to Reply # 0

Will be ostracized and likely end up in either the Green Party or as right wing fascists (to shake up the system.)

Maybe Susan Saradon can organize a party (no snark, I mean it) and they can form a party that gets less votes than the Green party.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Tue Jul-26-16 06:11 PM

16. "subterfuge. fake GOP tweets to support johnson over trump"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-26-16 06:12 PM by Riot

leaning towards "GOPforGary" as a hashtag rallying cry

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue Jul-26-16 06:13 PM

17. "good poast. nm"
In response to Reply # 0

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 12:28 PM

18. "RE: Sanders supporters: What will you do to ensure Trump loses?"
In response to Reply # 0

>vote for Johnson (to siphon votes from Trump), or
>stir up a fervor within the Republican party that takes its
>own trash out?

Why didn't I think of this??? Great strategy.

On the real, I'll vote for HRC. She actually came to my high school and spoke a looong time ago. I was impressed. No beef with Hillary for me.

And I'll campaign for Johnson to all the GOP family members I have (the mega church-ers).

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 01:30 PM

21. "I've found it to be a fairly viable strategy. "
In response to Reply # 18

>And I'll campaign for Johnson to all the GOP family members I
>have (the mega church-ers).

While I don't have GOP supporters in my family - I do have friends/acquaintances who are leaning towards voting Trump. Interestingly - when I don't see/talk w/ them for a while - they start to warm up to Trump - but after we're able to have in-depth discussions they seem to leave like "Trump is dangerous" - and many of them want a third party as well - and because Johnson is polling fairly well (near 13%) - significant votes can be stripped from Trump supporters if they can be convinced to vote on beliefs/principles.

For moderates and Rockefeller republicans - Johnson is everything that Trump is not: ethical, fiscally disciplined, robust philosophy on civil liberties, small government proponent, skeptic on interventionist wars.

I think Johnson could end Trump's chances if he continues to pick up steam.

and GOOD.

-->

DeepAztheRoot
Member since Dec 19th 2003
13992 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 02:06 AM

27. "Johnson is pulling as much from HRC as Trump"
In response to Reply # 21

<-Fear Ameer

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 09:11 AM

28. "I don't think that's true - but am open to be persuaded. Evidence?"
In response to Reply # 27

-->

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 12:33 PM

19. "Vote for the DNC's choice of candidate. "
In response to Reply # 0

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 12:54 PM

20. "i will vote for Hillary..."
In response to Reply # 0

but it sucks that even in voting against Trump we're just continuing this 2 party nonsense. Something's gotta give...this election is making that abundantly clear but I just don't know enough about any of the alternatives and really am afraid of the type of hate Trump will inspire if he makes it in office. The RNC sealed the deal for me...i'm voting HRC.

It's not even him I fear...it's his crazy followers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 03:37 PM

24. "write in"
In response to Reply # 0

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 03:59 PM

25. "Stand outside the polls and beat the shit outta whoever looks "
In response to Reply # 0

like they a Trump supporter

I saw that on a meme...or a tweet and thought it was funny

but yeah

I'm not in the business of tryin to change minds

and

I don't engage with anyone who would seriously consider voting for him where it would have any impact soooooo

I like Hillary a lot as a person...I like her as president but I liked Bernie's platform more than the stat quo

Hillary is spaghetti...yeah spaghetti is good....it's great even...it'll get the job done but won't necessarily wow you

so I'll take spaghetti over caviar covered spam any day

=======================================
Coolin...

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 09:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
29. "Vote for Hilliary and fake smile while I do it."
In response to Reply # 0

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 10:35 AM

30. "lol - she's lost a significant % of Sanders voters when she hired DWS"
In response to Reply # 0

dumb dumb dumb... oh well..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Mon Aug-01-16 01:25 PM

33. "She ain't "hire" ther though..."
In response to Reply # 30

She was named Honorary Co-Chair of the campaign.

She got about as much influence on what's happening as you do.

my avy: Deep in your heart, you know he's right: http://coreyrichardsonneedsajob.com/
my hustle: http://SupaSoulSounds.com

*RIP: John T. "220v" Richardson, Blessing Benson, and Dilla*

Mr. ManC
Member since Jan 26th 2009
11819 posts
Mon Aug-01-16 04:46 PM

34. "......then why do it? It is HORRIBLE optics"
In response to Reply # 33

for a meaningless placeholder position?

Naw, that was Hillary bring her along for the ride.

Kaine stepped down so Schultz could head the DNC in 2011.

DWS held it down and got Hillary the nom.

Kaine got to be VP, and DWS gets to take her "50 state plan" to the general to muddy the waters again and get Hillary in the White House, where Kaine and DWS will join her.

Simples.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

CRichMonkey
Charter member
49444 posts
Mon Aug-01-16 08:23 PM

37. "She took the fall for the whole DNC... "
In response to Reply # 34

Now, you riding in the car with three of your boys and the shit's dirty. Cops pull you over and run the plates, decide to do a funny search and come up on the guns/dope under the driver's seat.

Your mans takes the charge for the whole crew and he knows he's fitna go upstate because he knows you got a scholarship, about to get your paper, start a business, and do some good for the hood.

He takes the five, you gonna put some shit on his books. Don't give a fuck who you are, he took it for the whole squad, that nigga fitna have all the Irish Sprint, Snicker Bars and Newports he needs 'til he sees the other side.

That's what HRC did here. DWS was a loyal soldier who was overzealous with the plan, so they can't leave her hanging. Buuuuut, they can't bring her onto the team neither.

She's probably gonna lose her primary and gonna need something to do until the administration starts and she can go work for AIPAC or something.

my avy: Deep in your heart, you know he's right: http://coreyrichardsonneedsajob.com/
my hustle: http://SupaSoulSounds.com

*RIP: John T. "220v" Richardson, Blessing Benson, and Dilla*

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Mon Aug-01-16 01:16 PM

32. "Chomsky brief on Lesser Evil Voting"
In response to Reply # 0

(from 6 weeks ago)

https://chomsky.info/an-eight-point-brief-for-lev-lesser-evil-voting/

An Eight Point Brief for LEV (Lesser Evil Voting)
By John Halle and Noam Chomsky
JohnHalle.com, June 15, 2016

(Note: Professor Chomsky requests that he not be contacted with responses to this piece.)

Preamble:

Among the elements of the weak form of democracy enshrined in the constitution, presidential elections continue to pose a dilemma for the left in that any form of participation or non participation appears to impose a significant cost on our capacity to develop a serious opposition to the corporate agenda served by establishment politicians. The position outlined below is that which many regard as the most effective response to this quadrennial Hobson’s choice, namely the so-called “lesser evil” voting strategy or LEV. Simply put, LEV involves, where you can, i.e. in safe states, voting for the losing third party candidate you prefer, or not voting at all. In competitive “swing” states, where you must, one votes for the “lesser evil” Democrat.

Before fielding objections, it will be useful to make certain background stipulations with respect to the points below. The first is to note that since changes in the relevant facts require changes in tactics, proposals having to do with our relationship to the “electoral extravaganza” should be regarded as provisional. This is most relevant with respect to point 3) which some will challenge by citing the claim that Clinton’s foreign policy could pose a more serious menace than that of Trump.

In any case, while conceding as an outside possibility that Trump’s foreign policy is preferable, most of us not already convinced that that is so will need more evidence than can be aired in a discussion involving this statement. Furthermore, insofar as this is the fact of the matter, following the logic through seems to require a vote for Trump, though it’s a bit hard to know whether those making this suggestion are intending it seriously.

Another point of disagreement is not factual but involves the ethical/moral principle addressed in 1), sometimes referred to as the “politics of moral witness.” Generally associated with the religious left, secular leftists implicitly invoke it when they reject LEV on the grounds that “a lesser of two evils is still evil.” Leaving aside the obvious rejoinder that this is exactly the point of lesser evil voting-i.e. to do less evil, what needs to be challenged is the assumption that voting should be seen a form of individual self-expression rather than as an act to be judged on its likely consequences, specifically those outlined in 4). The basic moral principle at stake is simple: not only must we take responsibility for our actions, but the consequences of our actions for others are a far more important consideration than feeling good about ourselves.

While some would suggest extending the critique by noting that the politics of moral witness can become indistinguishable from narcissistic self-agrandizement, this is substantially more harsh than what was intended and harsher than what is merited. That said, those reflexively denouncing advocates of LEV on a supposed “moral” basis should consider that their footing on the high ground may not be as secure as they often take for granted to be the case.

A third criticism of LEV equates it with a passive acquiescence to the bipartisan status quo under the guise of pragmatism, usually deriving from those who have lost the appetite for radical change. It is surely the case that some of those endorsing LEV are doing so in bad faith-cynical functionaries whose objective is to promote capitulation to a system which they are invested in protecting. Others supporting LEV, however, can hardly be reasonably accused of having made their peace with the establishment. Their concern, as alluded to in 6) and 7) inheres in the awareness that frivolous and poorly considered electoral decisions impose a cost, their memories extending to the ultra-left faction of the peace movement having minimized the comparative dangers of the Nixon presidency during the 1968 elections. The result was six years of senseless death and destruction in Southeast Asia and also a predictable fracture of the left setting it up for its ultimate collapse during the backlash decades to follow.

The broader lesson to be drawn is not to shy away from confronting the dominance of the political system under the management of the two major parties. Rather, challenges to it need to be issued with a full awareness of their possible consequences. This includes the recognition that far right victories not only impose terrible suffering on the most vulnerable segments of society but also function as a powerful weapon in the hands of the establishment center, which, now in opposition can posture as the “reasonable” alternative. A Trump presidency, should it materialize, will undermine the burgeoning movement centered around the Sanders campaign, particularly if it is perceived as having minimized the dangers posed by the far right.

A more general conclusion to be derived from this recognition is that this sort of cost/benefit strategic accounting is fundamental to any politics which is serious about radical change. Those on the left who ignore it, or dismiss it as irrelevant are engaging in political fantasy and are an obstacle to, rather than ally of, the movement which now seems to be materializing.

Finally, it should be understood that the reigning doctrinal system recognizes the role presidential elections perform in diverting the left from actions which have the potential to be effective in advancing its agenda. These include developing organizations committed to extra-political means, most notably street protest, but also competing for office in potentially winnable races. The left should devote the minimum of time necessary to exercise the LEV choice then immediately return to pursuing goals which are not timed to the national electoral cycle.

1) Voting should not be viewed as a form of personal self-expression or moral judgement directed in retaliation towards major party candidates who fail to reflect our values, or of a corrupt system designed to limit choices to those acceptable to corporate elites.

2) The exclusive consequence of the act of voting in 2016 will be (if in a contested “swing state”) to marginally increase or decrease the chance of one of the major party candidates winning.

3) One of these candidates, Trump, denies the existence of global warming, calls for increasing use of fossil fuels, dismantling of environmental regulations and refuses assistance to India and other developing nations as called for in the Paris agreement, the combination of which could, in four years, take us to a catastrophic tipping point. Trump has also pledged to deport 11 million Mexican immigrants, offered to provide for the defense of supporters who have assaulted African American protestors at his rallies, stated his “openness to using nuclear weapons”, supports a ban on Muslims entering the U.S. and regards “the police in this country as absolutely mistreated and misunderstood” while having “done an unbelievable job of keeping law and order.” Trump has also pledged to increase military spending while cutting taxes on the rich, hence shredding what remains of the social welfare “safety net” despite pretenses.

4) The suffering which these and other similarly extremist policies and attitudes will impose on marginalized and already oppressed populations has a high probability of being significantly greater than that which will result from a Clinton presidency.

5) 4) should constitute sufficient basis to voting for Clinton where a vote is potentially consequential-namely, in a contested, “swing” state.

6) However, the left should also recognize that, should Trump win based on its failure to support Clinton, it will repeatedly face the accusation (based in fact), that it lacks concern for those sure to be most victimized by a Trump administration.

7) Often this charge will emanate from establishment operatives who will use it as a bad faith justification for defeating challenges to corporate hegemony either in the Democratic Party or outside of it. They will ensure that it will be widely circulated in mainstream media channels with the result that many of those who would otherwise be sympathetic to a left challenge will find it a convincing reason to maintain their ties with the political establishment rather than breaking with it, as they must.

8) Conclusion: by dismissing a “lesser evil” electoral logic and thereby increasing the potential for Clinton’s defeat the left will undermine what should be at the core of what it claims to be attempting to achieve.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Mon Aug-01-16 05:29 PM

35. "Stupid smart people. "
In response to Reply # 32

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 04:53 PM

38. "expound?"
In response to Reply # 35

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 05:12 PM

39. "mostly, just f**k him for being right"
In response to Reply # 38

die hard Hillary stans can still get the bozack, though.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 05:32 PM

40. "lol"
In response to Reply # 39

kevlar skully
Member since Mar 13th 2007
6049 posts
Mon Aug-01-16 05:49 PM

36. "I really dislike Hillary, but I'm voting for her. Trump folks can't part..."
In response to Reply # 0

point blank period

Lobby General Discussion topic #13048880 Previous topic | Next topic