Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13048284

Subject: "With 'four gun barrels' in his face.." Previous topic | Next topic
Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4550 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 10:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"With 'four gun barrels' in his face.."

*WHEW*

Link: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2016/07/23/faith-ekakitie-iowa-city-police-pokemon-go/87473984/

With 'four gun barrels' in his face, Iowa football player recounts police encounter

Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But in this situation, a life lesson is learned and shared for others to put into perspective.

Iowa defensive end Faith Ekakitie wrote Wednesday in a note on Facebook that "today was the first time I've truly feared my life, and I have the media to thank for that."

The 6-3, 290-pound senior had just arrived at an Iowa City park to play the popular mobile-gaming app Pokemon Go. Elsewhere in town, a local bank had just been robbed, with the suspect identified as a large black male who was wearing all black and something on his head, Ekakitie's post said.

RELATED COVERAGE:

Iowa's black college students: We don't feel welcome
4 students' stories: Feeling racism on campus
Black Iowa — Still Unequal? series
Iowa City police noticed Ekakitie, whose clothes matched the armed suspect's description, at the park and took action, Ekakitie said in the post. Sgt. Jorey Bailey said Sunday that the bank robbery had occurred less than a block away from Ekakitie's location.

"The bank robbery call came out, and then two minutes later officers saw this person less than a block away from the bank matching the description." Bailey said.

Wearing his headphones when police approached him, Ekakitie said he didn't realize four officers were behind him. Because he didn't comply, police drew their guns and approached Ekakitie, he said.

"My pockets were checked, my backpack was opened up and searched carefully, and I was asked to lift up my shirt while they searched my waistband," Ekakitie wrote in the post.

Bailey said that was the correct approach for officers.

"It's reasonable given the circumstances that weapons would have still been drawn, given the fact that this person matched the description of an armed bank robber. He was in the area of the bank within two minutes," he said.

Wednesday's incident follows recent fatal shootings of black men by police officers in other states.

Ekakitie wrote that misunderstandings occur, but that it's "extremely sad that our society has brainwashed us all to the point where we can’t feel safe being approached by the police officers in our respective communities.

"Not all police officers are out to get you, but at the same time, not all people who fit a criminal profile are criminals."

Bailey said he doesn't think race played a factor in this particular situation.

"I don't think race played a factor in this, nor does it in circumstances like this because of the detailed description, the location given by the person and the short time span in which this all occurred," Bailey said.

Ekakitie closed his post by thanking the Iowa City Police Department for handling the situation professionally, as well as urging people to learn from his post by being more aware of their surroundings.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't think it's the media that would make anyone afraid
Jul 25th 2016
I hate shit like this...
Jul 25th 2016
yeah
Jul 25th 2016
Cops thought the robber walked over to the park and started whistling...
Jul 25th 2016
black Kaiser Sosai
Jul 25th 2016

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 11:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I don't think it's the media that would make anyone afraid"
In response to Reply # 0

of being confronted by four people with their guns out.

that whole statement is bizarre.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff 'm looking at

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79607 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 11:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I hate shit like this..."
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4550 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 12:00 PM

4. "yeah"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon Jul-25-16 12:11 PM by Ashy Achilles

SEE, POLICE CAN SHOW RESTRAINT!

edit: and LOL at "society has us brainwashed"

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 12:00 PM

3. "Cops thought the robber walked over to the park and started whistling..."
In response to Reply # 0

...looking up into the sky like the cartoons. That old trick.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79607 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 12:52 PM

5. "black Kaiser Sosai"
In response to Reply # 3

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lobby General Discussion topic #13048284 Previous topic | Next topic