Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13033461

Subject: "Apple's Bozoma Saint John brought some life to WWDC today. " Previous topic | Next topic
DavidHasselhoff
Charter member
11451 posts
Mon Jun-13-16 09:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Apple's Bozoma Saint John brought some life to WWDC today. "

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/13/11924114/apple-bozoma-saint-john-diversity-wwdc-2016

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
very cool. thought she did a great job.
Jun 14th 2016
annnnd she's gone............to Uber
Jun 07th 2017
Go to the place that needs you the most. Presumably she has
Jun 07th 2017
It's a fucking balsy ass move. I applaud her, and I pray for her, lol.
Jun 07th 2017
get money.. but ughh, I hate when 60 minutes would do stories
Jun 07th 2017

jdub1313
Charter member
4732 posts
Tue Jun-14-16 07:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "very cool. thought she did a great job."
In response to Reply # 0

hope to see more of her at future events, gotta switch it up.

jdub1313
Charter member
4732 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 06:59 AM

2. "annnnd she's gone............to Uber"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.recode.net/2017/6/6/15747310/apple-uber-bozoma-saint-john-brand-culture-crisis

On the one hand, i'm like yeah keep moving up, in 5 years you will be CEO of your own marketing firm that will reach back and hire more POCs which is what we need.

On the other hand, i'm like eeeew Uber. Dumpster fire. Their story has been told, aint no re-telling. AND i don't like them vulturing you from Apple so they can put your face on their inter company promos for diversity.

But whatever, get $$. Still proud of her for being out there and kicking ass.

------

Uber is in the midst of dealing with a myriad of internal issues that have seeped into the public arena. Prime among them is the current investigation into its culture and workplace practices that was sparked by former Uber engineer Susan Fowler’s allegations of sexism and sexual harassment at the company.

Now the company wants to tell its story better. It’s a strategy that Uber CEO Travis Kalanick has long employed in times of trouble and public scandal, according to sources.

To do that, Uber has brought in the big guns. Bozoma Saint John, who resigned from Apple last week where she was a marketing executive, is joining the ride-hail company as its first chief brand officer.

What exactly does that entail?

“The beauty of a new role is sort of define it,” Saint John told Recode in an interview. “My background is in marketing. That’s what I’m going to be focused on mostly. I reserve the right to change it a little bit. The business is going to continue to grow and change and perhaps the needs for marketing and branding will change in six months.”

Saint John said she’s well aware of the challenge that she’s been tasked with as Uber — which just fired 20 people as a result of an investigation into individual claims of sexual harassment and other workplace issues — continues to navigate the murky waters the company’s aggressive internal culture has wrought.

“I know what I’m walking into,” she said. “I think it’s a really exciting time to tell the story well. Certainly there have been lots of things that have been swirling around Uber but I’m interested in telling the story about the service and what is happening from the brand standpoint.”

“I have to focus on what I have to focus on,” she continued. “There’s not a lot I can do about what’s already happened at Uber.”

The company said that Saint John will initially report into Frances Frei, who we reported joined Uber as its SVP of leadership and strategy, who is helping the company change its management structure and will have a role in changing the company’s culture.

When asked whether changing the company’s narrative will simply serve to distract from materially changing the company culture, she said: “All of those things are required. My first responsibility is to change the perception of the brand. That is what I’m going to be focused on doing, because I know there are good stories and real stories and things that are happening that should be told that folks just don’t know.”

Saint John still is working out how exactly she’ll address the increasingly negative perception the public has of Uber.

“I think this is a really important time for Uber,” she said. “It’s at a critical stage; there’s so much happening in the business. The growth is so expansive that the story hasn’t been told the way it really should be. I’m a change agent. I enjoy telling stories of brands at moments in time that are going to change culture and I firmly believe that Uber is going to do that.”

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 08:23 AM

3. "Go to the place that needs you the most. Presumably she has"
In response to Reply # 2

a job to perform when she gets there and it's not just put her face on their inter company promos for diversity as you say (which I don't have to point out to you robs her of her worth and agency to say).

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 08:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "It's a fucking balsy ass move. I applaud her, and I pray for her, lol."
In response to Reply # 2

but like you said Its a PURE marketing move to have a POC of color as the face of marketing considering the discrimination lawsuits. You KNOW they paid her an obscene amount of money, probably lottery level, to make that move (hopefully she aint take that in stock options, lol)

The thing is I don't think it's enough; they've got NO goodwill across the board

Their CEO is the public face of asshole CEO's
Drivers complain they are basically slave labor
The discrimination lawsuits
Google's suing them for stealing their tech

Their brand is so toxic apparently ex-workers can't get hired..BECAUSE THEY WORKED AT UBER, lol

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/07/uber-work-culture-travis-kalanick-susan-fowler-controversy

it's going to take that miracle to right the ship. All she can hope for is to keep the fires down to a minimum for the next couple of years, take that as a win(which sadly it would be), and bounce for a CEO position like you said before it totally sinks.

Long term I see Uber like Friendster or Myspace...setting the groundwork until a 'facebook' comes along and improves the model across the bord.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 08:42 AM

5. "get money.. but ughh, I hate when 60 minutes would do stories"
In response to Reply # 0

on racism in the workplace and the company would always send the token Black face to defend the company.

That's like the most obvious admission of guilt.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lobby General Discussion topic #13033461 Previous topic | Next topic