Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13028064

Subject: "IT Help Desk Nightmare Stories - got any kind? " Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-31-16 07:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"IT Help Desk Nightmare Stories - got any kind? "
Tue May-31-16 07:38 AM by Case_One

So, on Friday, an automatic script ran on my laptop. You know that kind that you can't stop or delay. The one that gives you the countdown and no cancel option. Well, it ran, and I didn't think anything of it. Well, in most cases this wouldn't be a big deal. But I started the process of converting a bank over to out platform on Friday. So, on Saturday I wanted to check my work email to make sure that my back didn't send me any late questions on Friday night.

So, I logged into my laptop Saturday like Good Morning style, sipping on that Saturday coffee and discovered that Microsoft Office was GONE! Not Icon Gone. I mean Software Delete GONE! WTH!!

I opened a Chat Ticket, and a tech was like yeah we did that confirmed that that and removed MS Office as part of the install for MS Office 2016. So, I asked when is 2016 being pushed. He was like; there is no ETA, but it should happen over the weekend, and it will be up on Monday. I was asking all kinds of questions about requirements of the install and connection need and he was giving me the good BS. Dude didn't know that I use to work in IT, so I was just like WTH. Anyway. I wasn't about to fret over this mess since it wasn't my fault. But guess what? It's MONDAY and that crap isn't download over the weekend - like is should on that good old automatic PUSH.

So, I called these jokers today and hit them on the chat. Whoever hit me up first was going to get the business. Anyway, And after 30 mins on Hold for bot the phone and Chat, guess what? I got two folks at the same time. I closed the chat and talked to a smart butt IT dude with think Eastern Block Accent. After confirmation of y identity, a few questions, and answers, dude was like yeah, you need to go to this site an download the MS 2016. It's going to take 1 hr.

I followed his instructions and the-the crap didn't work. So, he sent me to another site to get the software, and it downloaded. Then he said, "it's gonna take about 1 hr."

So, how was I suppose to know that I needed to go to this So called site and download some software that was supposed to be pushed anyway?

So, I asked him the same thing. He responded with the "it's gonna take about 1 hr." So, I asked if they IT dept was going to send out any install instructions? He said, "it's gonna take about 1 hr." LOL

No, I'm doing the job of the IT dept because they didn't push this mess. Anyway, I guess "it's gonna take about 1 hr." LOL

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
you on chat??? i'm siding with IT guy.
May 31st 2016
No.. LOL. I had the chat and phone going
May 31st 2016
lol
May 31st 2016
good one.
Jun 17th 2016
I rarely let IT touch my laptop
May 31st 2016
They jack up two of my coworkers.. LOL
May 31st 2016
      They figuratively had to force me to allow them to install IE10
May 31st 2016
           RE: They figuratively had to force me to allow them to install IE10
May 31st 2016
           we don't like IE10 either
May 31st 2016
i don't move computers...
May 31st 2016
I like to move my own stuff. Never trust folks.
May 31st 2016
You must have some dumb IT people
May 31st 2016
Ladies and gentlemen, OKP's own Nick Burns.
Jun 17th 2016
Case; I never can tell if your level of angry....
May 31st 2016
The smart-butt IT dude really tee'd him off.
May 31st 2016
Not in Public.... LOL
May 31st 2016
no offense, but the tech-savvy are the worst to support, imo
May 31st 2016
Yep...back in my support days the worst calls were from the
May 31st 2016
^ ^ ^ killing me softly
May 31st 2016
Nah, Most IT and Telecom support liked me
May 31st 2016
REAL TALK.
May 31st 2016
LOL
May 31st 2016
they are the absolute worst
May 31st 2016
Back when I was a tech I had this happen...
May 31st 2016
LOL>>> ROTFL.. You Lyin...LOL
May 31st 2016
brrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhh >_>
May 31st 2016
Once in college I lost 6 papers that were all due that day.
May 31st 2016
Man you made my day in this post!
May 31st 2016
you sound like the type that never reboots his laptop
May 31st 2016
You sound like your were BORN wrong.
May 31st 2016
      YES.
May 31st 2016
My cousin worked IT support at Swarthmore College in the 90s
May 31st 2016
I bet he bashed his head continuously against his computer....
Jun 17th 2016
question-you got no kind of IT maintenance alert??
May 31st 2016
In defense of help desk guys, 90% if the time its not their fault...
Jun 17th 2016
Apple deleted one of our apps the other week.
Jun 17th 2016
      lol...
Jun 17th 2016

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59169 posts
Tue May-31-16 08:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "you on chat??? i'm siding with IT guy."
In response to Reply # 0

who knows what the hell you were typing.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-31-16 10:52 AM

3. "No.. LOL. I had the chat and phone going"
In response to Reply # 1

I was on the phone. I close the Chat down.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue May-31-16 02:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "lol"
In response to Reply # 1

Kwesi
Member since Jan 11th 2004
7370 posts
Fri Jun-17-16 05:40 PM

32. "good one. "
In response to Reply # 1

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Tue May-31-16 09:13 AM

2. "I rarely let IT touch my laptop"
In response to Reply # 0

IT are some 'color inside the lines' -ass mofos. We have opposite philosophies about tech in a lot of ways.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-31-16 10:55 AM

4. "They jack up two of my coworkers.. LOL"
In response to Reply # 2

I wasn't letting them remote into my junk. He asked if he could remote in and i was like hold up, I'll down it myself.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Tue May-31-16 12:47 PM

7. "They figuratively had to force me to allow them to install IE10"
In response to Reply # 4

I didn't want that shit. I stonewalled until they brought out the "mandatory" word.

IT is smart at what they do, but dumb-as-fuck about technology in general. I'm setting up an website and the network guy is like "Okay... we'll let you try to this 'Apache' web server, but those shareware programs aren't the most reliable"

:-\

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Tue May-31-16 02:54 PM

"RE: They figuratively had to force me to allow them to install IE10"

> I'm setting up an website and the network guy is
>like "Okay... we'll let you try to this 'Apache' web server,
>but those shareware programs aren't the most reliable"

You work in a Windows-centric environment with guys that have no clue about anything outside of the Windows world. I've worked in shops like those in the past, they're annoying as shit.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Tue May-31-16 03:10 PM

24. "we don't like IE10 either"
In response to Reply # 7

but if the job says we gotta use it, then that's what we gotta do. thanks so much for making our lives more difficult though.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Tue May-31-16 11:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "i don't move computers..."
In response to Reply # 0

apparently, around here when you move seats...you move your computer too. I come from a world of touching any IT equipment is a no no...

I put in a ticket to have it moved
they never responded.

I didn't move it either , someone else did...
straight up refused lol

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-31-16 02:16 PM

14. "I like to move my own stuff. Never trust folks."
In response to Reply # 5

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Tue May-31-16 12:24 PM

6. "You must have some dumb IT people"
In response to Reply # 0

On the other hand I have to deal with idiots on the other end.

"My computer won't turn on"
"Is it plugged in?"
"Yes"
*goes there and plugs in the surge protector*
"Now it works"

or how about the classic "turn the computer off"
then they press the power button on the monitor, because apparently the computer is the fucking screen on the desk, not the big ass box its connected to that houses all the components that would make up a "computer".

Or the old people that try to tell YOU whats wrong with it when they call you for help.
"The motherboard is on the fritz because there is not enough megahertz. I think it'll need a new flux compositor".

No you dumb ass mother fucker, take the USB out of the laptop before you power it on so it doesn't try to boot from it you got damn no nothing know it all!

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Fri Jun-17-16 08:43 PM

35. "Ladies and gentlemen, OKP's own Nick Burns."
In response to Reply # 6

Since 1976

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Tue May-31-16 12:53 PM

8. "Case; I never can tell if your level of angry...."
In response to Reply # 0

I understand you don't curse....
but...
you need harsher words Fam....

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Tue May-31-16 01:06 PM

10. "The smart-butt IT dude really tee'd him off."
In response to Reply # 8

Is what I'm getting from the story.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-31-16 02:19 PM

15. "Not in Public.... LOL"
In response to Reply # 8

2.tears.in.a.bucket
Member since Sep 04th 2009
6185 posts
Tue May-31-16 12:54 PM

9. "no offense, but the tech-savvy are the worst to support, imo"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-31-16 12:58 PM by 2.tears.in.a.bucket

its almost as if they call in to stump the tech - as if the shit not being fixable will somehow validate their request - despite it costing them a productive workday

they second-guess a/o question every click of the mouse

shit drives me crazy

older black women (receptionists ) are the best - its like helping your grandma setup her fb page - she don't care WHAT you do - when ur finished she gone be happy & grateful

♚♚♚♚

#BYLUG >>> https://goo.gl/1ooFp6

♚♚♚♚

screamin' mothafuck a 12 /
bitches ain't shit /
cops ain't neither /
they huntin' my people /

- i. rashad

♚♚♚♚

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Tue May-31-16 01:32 PM

11. "Yep...back in my support days the worst calls were from the "
In response to Reply # 9

IT staff of our clients. They would call in and try to validate how smart they were before even asking the question by using a ton of big words that would be completely unrelated to the system/software that they were having an issue with. Then they'd try to argue with every troubleshooting suggestion that would isolate the problem, and the call would go way longer than needed because they missed some really basic troubleshooting step that they fought you on.

2.tears.in.a.bucket
Member since Sep 04th 2009
6185 posts
Tue May-31-16 01:53 PM

13. "^ ^ ^ killing me softly"
In response to Reply # 11
Tue May-31-16 01:54 PM by 2.tears.in.a.bucket

>and the call would go way
>longer than needed because they missed some really basic
>troubleshooting step that they fought you on.

you know my pain bruh. got me over here like --> http://goo.gl/TZRbb7

♚♚♚♚

#BYLUG >>> https://goo.gl/1ooFp6

♚♚♚♚

screamin' mothafuck a 12 /
bitches ain't shit /
cops ain't neither /
they huntin' my people /

- i. rashad

♚♚♚♚

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-31-16 02:26 PM

16. "Nah, Most IT and Telecom support liked me"
In response to Reply # 9

I would jump right in and tell them what I've done and save them a bunch of steps in getting to the solution.

Plus if the were nice, I'd stay on the line an let them finish writing up their notes before that next call came in queue to them.

I'm cool like that as long as a sucker don't try to play me stupid. Because I don't have an issue asking for that next level escalation and bust up that SLA in a heartbeat. There are certain key words that will strike fear into a tech or rep and I know them all...LOL

Castro
Charter member
50741 posts
Tue May-31-16 02:50 PM

17. "REAL TALK."
In response to Reply # 9

------------------
One Hundred.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-31-16 02:57 PM

20. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 17

jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Tue May-31-16 03:16 PM

26. "they are the absolute worst"
In response to Reply # 9

we really don't care if you think some other software or hardware is better. we might even agree with you, but we have a job to do just like you do. i got 400 people who need this upgrade today. i'll go ahead and make you last, but it's getting done chief. people seriously don't seem to understand that these are not their personal computers. i really could care less that you don't want this brand of laptop or this particular software installed on your computer. everyone is getting the same thing so deal with it.

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Tue May-31-16 01:48 PM

12. "Back when I was a tech I had this happen..."
In response to Reply # 0

I think I've told this story before, but back when I worked for BBDO my group would occasionally help the helpdesk techs get caught up on their tickets. We had a call center on-site and pretty much everyone HATED going on that floor because of the sheer level of ghetto one would experience.

Well this day, right after Easter Sunday, took shit to a whole new low.

I grabbed a couple of tickets and had to head over to the call center with one of the helpdesk techs. As soon as we step off the elevator there's a stench that slams right into your face like a bag of quarters. Something like barnyard shit, onions, misery, an woe.

"Goddammit somebody brought chitlins in for lunch and heated them bitches up in the microwave"

The tech dry heaves at the smell and was like "What's chitlins" and I proceeded to explain what this unholy comestible is.

"People really eat that??? Disgusting."

So we proceed to make the rounds and fix shit when I see him across the way replacing a keyboard for this older, rotund sista with a serious ass mustache (no joke, she kept it lined up and erruhthang) when I heard him dry heave loud as shit. I went over there to see what had happened and I saw it:

He picked up her old keyboard and chitlin juice came dribbling out of it. It got on his hand and when he smelled it he was about to hurl everywhere.

I took the keyboard and threw it in the trash. Told him he was gonna need to wash his hand with mild bleach water to get the smell off, but it was still gonna take a day or two before it's completely gone.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-31-16 03:00 PM

21. "LOL>>> ROTFL.. You Lyin...LOL"
In response to Reply # 12

mtbatol
Member since May 22nd 2002
19788 posts
Tue May-31-16 09:47 PM

30. "brrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhh >_>"
In response to Reply # 12

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Tue May-31-16 02:54 PM

18. "Once in college I lost 6 papers that were all due that day. "
In response to Reply # 0

In my college they had a drop dead date in which you had to turn all outstanding papers end. What inevitably happened is that people would end up with several papers due on this date. I had a gang of papers due and of course all one flimsy floppy. Of course the floppy died and I didn't have any of the papers backed up anywhere else. I literally fell to my knees crying. I thought I was going to flunk.

Then it just so happened that at some point in the day I had sent all of the papers to a computer lab for printing but never went to retrieved the print out papers.

I ran to that computer cluster and found all my papers in the trash can. I had to retype them but it was a miracle from the sweet baby Jesus.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-31-16 03:01 PM

22. "Man you made my day in this post!"
In response to Reply # 18

jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Tue May-31-16 03:05 PM

23. "you sound like the type that never reboots his laptop"
In response to Reply # 0

you just put the lid down to put it in sleep mode and go home. you put it back in sleep mode and come back to work. it basically hasn't really been turned off in weeks, sometimes months. because of this you never get any of the updates that come down through the system many of which require a reboot. many of those updates are required for a lot of remote installs to work. so basically you'll end up needing to reboot 10 times just to get to the point where a particular remote install will actually push to your computer.

in my experience remote push installs work 90% of the time. i've personally pushed software to thousands of computers simultaneously with little issue. when they don't work there's the rare chance that there's something wrong with the laptop, but it's usually people like you. them telling you to do the manual install was a dead giveaway.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-31-16 03:11 PM

25. "You sound like your were BORN wrong."
In response to Reply # 23

And you said all of that only to still be wrong about what I and the rest of the frustrated population of my company that ha to deal with this Bootleg Upgrade that the IT gods decided to do.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59169 posts
Tue May-31-16 03:30 PM

29. "YES."
In response to Reply # 25

>You sound like your were BORN wrong

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Eric B Is Prez
Member since Nov 08th 2005
4981 posts
Tue May-31-16 03:17 PM

27. "My cousin worked IT support at Swarthmore College in the 90s"
In response to Reply # 0

He has some hilarious stories about professors calling in with the stupidest things you can possibly imagine. Like some lady's computer won't turn on, and it takes 10 minutes of troubleshooting before she asks if it might have something to do with the blackout in her neighborhood.

The story that took the cake was the guy who called in because the "cup holder" on his computer had stopped working. Again, maybe 5-10 minutes of Q&A before my cousin realized he was talking about his CD-ROM tray.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Fri Jun-17-16 08:57 PM

36. "I bet he bashed his head continuously against his computer...."
In response to Reply # 27

....having to had dealt with the sheer stupidity of those two.

Since 1976

kittyswift
Charter member
14951 posts
Tue May-31-16 03:27 PM

28. "question-you got no kind of IT maintenance alert??"
In response to Reply # 0

that described the events that were going to take place, what time they were going to happen, and most importantly what you as the end user needed to do???

**interesting**

________
"promise yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind"-cl

BEFORE YOU JUDGE ME, make sure you're perfect.

"I'm hella Black, and irresponsibility ain't my culture. Yall niggas just gon have to own that as individuals"- Boo

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jun-17-16 04:30 PM

31. "In defense of help desk guys, 90% if the time its not their fault..."
In response to Reply # 0

its usually some lazy ass sysadmin/programmer/network engineer behind the scenes actually responsible for the changes and and not communicating properly with the help desk what's going on. The poor help desk guys are just the front line soldiers that take the bullets for the rest of the IT departments screw-ups, I've been on both sides.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Fri Jun-17-16 05:55 PM

33. "Apple deleted one of our apps the other week."
In response to Reply # 31

We got fuckin murdered. Luckily for me, that shit happened on my off day.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jun-17-16 07:33 PM

34. "lol..."
In response to Reply # 33

>We got fuckin murdered. Luckily for me, that shit happened on
>my off day.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13028064 Previous topic | Next topic