Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13019941

Subject: "Budweiser rebrands itself as ‘America’ for the summer" Previous topic | Next topic
justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Wed May-11-16 04:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Budweiser rebrands itself as ‘America’ for the summer"

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/budweiser-rebrands-itself-as-america-for-the-summer-151207717.html
Here’s some bad news for anyone looking to kick back with a cold Budweiser and forget about the presidential election this summer. Starting May 23, the King of Beers will relabel its cans and bottles with the word “America” to remind beer drinkers nationwide that “America is in Your Hands.”

According to a press release from Budweiser’s St. Louis-based brewer, Anheuser-Busch (which has been owned by the Belgian company InBev since 2008), the patriotic packaging — which also will include lines from “America the Beautiful” and the Pledge of Allegiance — is aimed at inspiring drinkers “to celebrate America and Budweiser’s shared values of freedom and authenticity.”

New billboards, television spots, digital advertisements and other marketing tools will feature the star-spangled bottles and cans. And while it will launch just in time for what Budweiser Vice President Ricardo Marques called “the most patriotic summer that this generation has ever seen,” the “America is in Your Hands” campaign will continue through the presidential election this November. From May 23 through mid-September, Budweiser will also sell cans and bottles with the Statue of Liberty’s torch emblazoned on the label.

“Budweiser has always strived to embody America in a bottle, and we’re honored to salute this great nation where our beer has been passionately brewed for the past 140 years,” Marques said.

Not everyone is taking the campaign quite so seriously, however. Budweiser’s announcement quickly made the rounds on social media Tuesday morning, prompting plenty of jokes about the beer’s new summer look.

Silly as the campaign may seem, New York Magazine’s Grub Street blog noted that it could also help Budweiser promote the fact that its beer is actually brewed in the United States.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Budweiser isn't nor has it ever been American tho
May 11th 2016
stop makin' sense.
May 11th 2016
Wrong Budweiser
May 11th 2016
      was hopin he was joking
May 11th 2016
      Maybe he meant it currently isn't an American owned company
May 12th 2016
           accept for the "nor has it ever been" part
May 12th 2016
                *except
May 12th 2016
                     Say bruh, do yalls except food stamps?
May 12th 2016
                     good lookin...that's what I get for rushing to make a zinger
May 12th 2016
      I tell ya, Facts be slaying'em
May 12th 2016
trump gon win smh
May 11th 2016
it's the "perfect beer for removing "no" from your vocabulary for the ni...
May 11th 2016
"get wasted off 'murica"
May 11th 2016
"America is in your hands. And your bladder."
May 11th 2016
with the rise of craft beer among young folks...
May 11th 2016
I felt like they were trying push a 'craftier' version of Bud
May 11th 2016
I think I remember something like that too
May 11th 2016
American Ale and I think they they did some limited editions
May 11th 2016
I think it's wild AB-InBev owns Goose Island
May 11th 2016
They re-did the art on Bud Light cans to attract craft drinkers
May 11th 2016
i mean, it is smart
May 11th 2016
disgusting...i hope M.A.D.D. protests
May 11th 2016
Budweiser is making everything red, white and blue — and great again. ...
May 11th 2016
AB is the biggest drug dealer in the world so this is perfect
May 12th 2016
I can't tell if this is subtle jab at Trump, Subtley pro-trump
May 12th 2016

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Wed May-11-16 04:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Budweiser isn't nor has it ever been American tho"
In response to Reply # 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_Budvar_Brewery

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Wed May-11-16 04:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "stop makin' sense. "
In response to Reply # 1

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed May-11-16 04:39 PM

11. "Wrong Budweiser"
In response to Reply # 1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser

Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Wed May-11-16 09:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "was hopin he was joking"
In response to Reply # 11

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Thu May-12-16 08:33 AM

19. "Maybe he meant it currently isn't an American owned company"
In response to Reply # 16

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anheuser-Busch_InBev

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Thu May-12-16 04:54 PM

22. "accept for the "nor has it ever been" part"
In response to Reply # 19

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Thu May-12-16 05:08 PM

23. "*except "
In response to Reply # 22

deejboram
Member since Sep 27th 2002
25755 posts
Thu May-12-16 05:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "Say bruh, do yalls except food stamps?"
In response to Reply # 23

pink toes: http://i.imgur.com/WN7DPL1

Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Thu May-12-16 05:30 PM

25. "good lookin...that's what I get for rushing to make a zinger"
In response to Reply # 23

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu May-12-16 12:22 PM

20. "I tell ya, Facts be slaying'em "
In response to Reply # 11
Thu May-12-16 12:22 PM by Case_One

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Wed May-11-16 04:16 PM

2. "trump gon win smh"
In response to Reply # 0

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Wed May-11-16 04:19 PM

3. "it's the "perfect beer for removing "no" from your vocabulary for the ni..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-11-16 04:20 PM by justin_scott

#upforwhatever (including rape i guess). i can't believe they got away with that.

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Wed May-11-16 04:21 PM

4. ""get wasted off 'murica""
In response to Reply # 0

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Wed May-11-16 04:22 PM

5. ""America is in your hands. And your bladder.""
In response to Reply # 0

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Wed May-11-16 04:23 PM

6. "with the rise of craft beer among young folks..."
In response to Reply # 0

this is probably their best marketing angle imo

the fuck else they gonna do

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed May-11-16 04:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "I felt like they were trying push a 'craftier' version of Bud"
In response to Reply # 6

a few years back, but this could be just an alcohol fueled nightmare i had

>the fuck else they gonna do
>
>

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Wed May-11-16 04:39 PM

10. "I think I remember something like that too"
In response to Reply # 8

I feel like a lot of big name beer companies have special edition or off shoot brews they've been trying to push on the market since the rise of craft beer

None of them very memorable though.

One of the more effective Super Bowl commercials this year was them firing shots at the craft beer crowd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHRDal7aako

Basically trying to cement themselves as some vital part of Americana. I'm a craft beer guy, but for the target audience - i thought it was well done.

onthat
Member since Aug 19th 2006
807 posts
Wed May-11-16 04:45 PM

12. "American Ale and I think they they did some limited editions"
In response to Reply # 8

they also have some stakes in some craft brews

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxKrdlsHVmg

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Wed May-11-16 09:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I think it's wild AB-InBev owns Goose Island"
In response to Reply # 12

and yet Bourbon County is still a holy grail for craft drinkers across the country. I'd have figured by now folks would be skeptical, but the beer IS still fucking good as shit so that obviously helps.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Wed May-11-16 09:17 PM

13. "They re-did the art on Bud Light cans to attract craft drinkers"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed May-11-16 09:19 PM by Nodima

http://assets.creativity-online.com/images/work/print/b/u/d/BudLight_NewDesign15.jpg

I work at a craft beer bar, mainly taps but we do keep domestics on stock because we are right next to an event center that hosts WWE/Taylor Swift sized events and I do admit, when I saw the new Bud Light cans I thought about trying a jokey promotion to push it but...it's still Bud Light and we have three Lager/Pilsners on tap that are fuller flavor plus several Belgian and American craft Lagers in cans.

It's a nice redesign though.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Wed May-11-16 04:33 PM

9. "i mean, it is smart"
In response to Reply # 6

i ain't hating on the marketing. it's just that in germany, when you piss out their beer, that's Budweiser.

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Wed May-11-16 09:23 PM

15. "disgusting...i hope M.A.D.D. protests"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Wed May-11-16 10:21 PM

17. "Budweiser is making everything red, white and blue — and great again. ..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/huppke/ct-budweiser-america-huppke-20160511-story.html

Budweiser is making everything red, white and blue — and great again. America!
Freedom Huppke
May 11, 2016, 9:19 AM

In case you missed it, the makers of Budweiser are changing the name of America's greatest beer to "America."

I'm serious. Starting this summer, cans and bottles of Budweiser will display the word America in place of the suspiciously non-American word "Budweiser."

It's the single greatest thing to happen since God discovered America (the country, not the beer) and declared it the No. 1 nation on Earth for all eternity.

As you can see from the byline, I'm celebrating Budweiser's bold naming decision by rebranding myself "Freedom Huppke," the most all-American newspaper columnist ever to walk this grand red, white and blue land we call America (again, the country, not the beer).

Explaining the company's decision to change the name of its signature product until after the presidential election in November, Budweiser Vice President Ricardo Marques told The Associated Press: "Budweiser has always strived to embody America in a bottle, and we're honored to salute this great nation where our beer has been passionately brewed for the past 140 years."

Marques, a Portuguese native speaking on behalf of a beer brand now owned by a Belgian company, makes an excellent point. Who among us has not longed to bottle this great nation and use it to chase down a large platter of jalapeno poppers?

That dream becomes reality on May 23. No longer will a true patriot like myself suffer the indignity of ordering a beer with a dopey German-sounding name.

I'll be able to turn to the bartender and say: "I'll have another America. Not that there is another America, there's only one, and it's the best. But I mean I'll have the beer that's called America, because I'm an American, and that's the kind of beer I want. A beer called America."

And the bartender will say: "What?"

Patriotic beer-ordering person that I am, I'll scowl and respond: "Never mind. I'm gonna go find a real American bar that understands what it means when an American ask for an America."

Then I'll get behind the wheel of my Liberty Mustang — I'm assuming all corporations, including Ford, will have jumped on the America-first rebranding bandwagon — and hit the road.

I'll turn up the stereo and listen to America (the band, not the beer or the country) as I cruise along, welling with nationalistic pride. Then I'll pull into a Liberty Bell drive-thru for a Star-Spangled Triumph Taco.

The taco will remind me I'm thirsty, so I'll head to a nearby Thomas Jefferson Target to pick up a few extra American flags, some Bountiful paper towels and, of course, a case of ice-cold America (the beer).

On the way home I'll probably pop into Starsandstripesforeverbucks for an iced American America Americano. Then it's straight home to put my case of America into the General Douglas MacArthur Electric refrigerator so it's ready to go when "America's Got American Talent in America" comes on that night on NBC-USA.

What a dream scenario that is. Now I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Freedom Huppke, you sound like you've been pounding Americas since dawn. Have you lost your mind?"

I have not lost my mind, I have just super-sized my patriotism thanks to Budweiser's selfless and spirited rebranding.

What better way to remind Americans that we are American and this is America (country, not beer) and we should make America (country, not beer) great again while drinking a pickup-truck-bed full of America (beer), which tastes like America (country).

I get why Budweiser decided to tie this change in with the presidential election. If there's one thing our politics have shown us recently it's that a lot of Americans don't know the first thing about America (country) and how its political system works or what principles it was founded on. It's as if some voters are drunk on America (beer) and blabbering and yelling and forgetting what it actually means to be an American.

So why not give Americans an America they can feel good about without having to think much? Why not make everything around us patriotic and red, white and blue, and great again?

We may not be willing or able to appreciate how our political system is uniquely American.

But we can certainly advertise our patriotism by holding a beer that says America.

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Thu May-12-16 07:42 AM

18. "AB is the biggest drug dealer in the world so this is perfect"
In response to Reply # 0

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Thu May-12-16 12:32 PM

21. "I can't tell if this is subtle jab at Trump, Subtley pro-trump"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu May-12-16 12:32 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

, or trump neutral.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Lobby General Discussion topic #13019941 Previous topic | Next topic