Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13017829

Subject: "Obama at Howard Univ commencement: "Be confident in your blackness"" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Sat May-07-16 04:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Obama at Howard Univ commencement: "Be confident in your blackness""
Sat May-07-16 04:22 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Oooohh weeee!! Folks are gonna be MAD. Can't wait until Fox News Monday.

Video of speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K4MctEmkmI

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/07/477161891/in-commencement-speech-obama-advises-howard-university-grads-on-creating-change

Speaking to the graduating class of Washington, D.C.'s Howard University, President Barack Obama emphasizes that his election hasn't created a "post-racial society" despite improved race relations.

Stressing the need to keep pushing for change, he gives the students at the historically black university impassioned advice on how to "shape our collective future."

Chief among that advice: Vote, "not just some of the time but all of the time." He adds: "When we don't vote we give away our power."

He describes the university as a "centerpiece of African-American intellectual life, and a central part of our larger American story."

Arguing that the U.S. — and the world — is a "better place" than when he graduated from college in the early 1980s, he says there is still work to be done, citing employment, achievement and justice gaps for African-Americans.

"Be confident in your heritage. Be confident in your blackness," he tells the graduates. "There's no one way to be black. Take it from somebody who's seen both sides of the debate about whether I'm black enough."

Obama tells the graduates to remember the ties that connect African-Americans:
"That is our particular awareness of injustice, and unfairness, and struggle. ... That means we cannot sleepwalk through life.
"We have cousins, and uncles, and brothers, and sisters, who we remember were just as smart and just as talented as we were but somehow got ground down by structures that were unfair and unjust, and that means we have to not only question the world as it is, and stand up for those African-Americans who haven't been so lucky."

That empathy should extend to "all people who are struggling," he says.

Finally, he advises the grads that creating change requires organization and strategy. That strategy has to include voting, Obama adds:
"People try to make this political thing really complicated ... you know what? Just vote. It's math. If you have more votes than the other guy, you get to do what you want."

Moreover, he says change requires compromise, and "listening to those with whom you disagree."

As The Washington Post reports, "The president was kicking off a series of three commencement addresses, which will continue at Rutgers University in New Jersey and the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs." The newspaper adds: "His appearance at Howard, urging the graduates to embrace the future, came as he is becoming more reflective as his presidency winds down."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Obama at Howard Univ commencement: "Be confident in your blackness"
May 07th 2016
Bin's head just exploded.
May 07th 2016
May 07th 2016
arguably his realist, most transparent speech ever in office
May 07th 2016
i dont know why he wont go on maher
May 08th 2016
      RE: i dont know why he wont go on maher
May 09th 2016
Why the continued BLM critiques?
May 08th 2016
He didn't "go hard" on BLM.
May 08th 2016
      RE: Shots Fired, he's still on that, this is how it worked for civil rig...
May 08th 2016
           RE: Shots Fired, he's still on that, this is how it worked for civil rig...
May 08th 2016
                eh, that's not what I heard
May 08th 2016
                     RE: eh, that's not what I heard
May 08th 2016
                     I read your reply as no, no he hasn't
May 08th 2016
                          RE: I read your reply as no, no he hasn't
May 08th 2016
                     you should be happy he's criticizing it because that means he loves it
May 09th 2016
                          IRT the parent analogy, what's the equivalent of a commencement
May 09th 2016
                          RE: IRT the parent analogy, what's the equivalent of a commencement
May 09th 2016
May 09th 2016
May 09th 2016
                               i believe we will get to see more of this post-presidency
May 10th 2016
                               Fam, you made the parent analogy, don't deflect to avoid answering the
May 10th 2016
                                    RE: Fam, you made the parent analogy, don't deflect to avoid answering t...
May 10th 2016
                                    i will ignore that rude phrasing. do better.
May 10th 2016
                          you should be happy we're criticizing him bc that means we love him
May 09th 2016
                               exactly and i agree. he also has been open to welcoming criticism
May 09th 2016
                                    ehhhh...when facing criticism he's typically pretty condescending
May 09th 2016
                                         incorrect.
May 16th 2016
good for him
May 08th 2016
May 08th 2016
^^Because I don't get the appeal, you people's attraction must
May 09th 2016
      I think Obama's charisma has a lot to do with his appeal
May 09th 2016
I want to collect all the tears that one line generated.
May 09th 2016
thank you for showing me this
May 09th 2016
Any comments about "activists" needing to do more @Rutgers commencement
May 16th 2016

Tiggerific
Member since May 24th 2007
13451 posts
Sat May-07-16 05:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Obama at Howard Univ commencement: "Be confident in your blackness""
In response to Reply # 0

This is awesome!!!!! But you are right. He's going to catch hell for it. But we are in the time of Give No F@cks Obama. I love this dude!!!!

"We don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents" - Bob Ross

"I'm wearing a MSU Tshirt because I went to MSU, you are wearing a UM Tshirt because you went to Walmart!" -unknown.

http://bjsquirrelchronicles.blogspot.com

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Sat May-07-16 05:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Bin's head just exploded."
In response to Reply # 0

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Sat May-07-16 08:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Obama at Howard Univ commencement: "Be confident in your blackness""
In response to Reply # 0

It was such a great speech, I'm really going to miss Obama

dude

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Sat May-07-16 09:38 PM

4. "arguably his realist, most transparent speech ever in office"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat May-07-16 09:40 PM by Flash80

- self-depreciating humor on his re-election vs. first election.

- young black folk today enjoying non-monolithic cultural choices compared to when he was coming up. i mean, he mentioned hockey. lol

- taking millennials to task for low voter turnout in tipping the congressional scales, who at the same time blame him for not getting shit done in the face of, well, an unfavorable congress.

- lightweight nod to bill maher.

- "trifling"

i've been a massive critic of his relationship with the federal reserve/central banks in propagating keynesian economics and a fake recovery, but he hit a home run today with this.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Sun May-08-16 09:15 AM

8. "i dont know why he wont go on maher"
In response to Reply # 4

>- lightweight nod to bill maher.

i signed the petition and everything

he's been everywhere else

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Mon May-09-16 11:28 AM

19. "RE: i dont know why he wont go on maher"
In response to Reply # 8

>
>>- lightweight nod to bill maher.
>
>i signed the petition and everything
>
>he's been everywhere else

yeah i think they exchange daps behind closed doors. maher went to an obama dinner/fundraiser at getty's house in frisco a couple months ago. ...and maher did gave $1 MM to an obama PAC.

hopefully he'll make an appearance post-election.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Sun May-08-16 12:25 AM

5. "Why the continued BLM critiques? "
In response to Reply # 0

Feels like he's been going hard on BLM lately

imagine if he went that hard on the non-prosecutions of police involved shootings

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14015 posts
Sun May-08-16 07:34 AM

6. "He didn't "go hard" on BLM."
In response to Reply # 5

He said he's thankful for what it's done.
Then went on to pinpoint what's necessary
for change from his point of view.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

bentagain
16595 posts
Sun May-08-16 09:08 AM

7. "RE: Shots Fired, he's still on that, this is how it worked for civil rig..."
In response to Reply # 6
Sun May-08-16 09:11 AM by bentagain

From civil rights to his arm breaking patting himself on the back for video taping confessions to 21st century policing

= state sanctioned violence is still not being prosecuted

and we're suppose to believe the POTUS needs activists from a 3 year old movement to present him with a complete plan in order to address the issue

?

how do you compromise on legalized murder

"And finally, change requires more than just speaking out -- it requires listening, as well. In particular, it requires listening to those with whom you disagree, and being prepared to compromise. When I was a state senator, I helped pass Illinois’s first racial profiling law, and one of the first laws in the nation requiring the videotaping of confessions in capital cases. And we were successful because, early on, I engaged law enforcement. I didn’t say to them, oh, you guys are so racist, you need to do something. I understood, as many of you do, that the overwhelming majority of police officers are good, and honest, and courageous, and fair, and love the communities they serve.
And we knew there were some bad apples, and that even the good cops with the best of intentions -- including, by the way, African American police officers -- might have unconscious biases, as we all do. So we engaged and we listened, and we kept working until we built consensus. And because we took the time to listen, we crafted legislation that was good for the police -- because it improved the trust and cooperation of the community -- and it was good for the communities, who were less likely to be treated unfairly. And I can say this unequivocally: Without at least the acceptance of the police organizations in Illinois, I could never have gotten those bills passed. Very simple. They would have blocked them.
The point is, you need allies in a democracy. That's just the way it is. It can be frustrating and it can be slow. But history teaches us that the alternative to democracy is always worse. That's not just true in this country. It’s not a black or white thing. Go to any country where the give and take of democracy has been repealed by one-party rule, and I will show you a country that does not work.
And democracy requires compromise, even when you are 100 percent right. This is hard to explain sometimes. You can be completely right, and you still are going to have to engage folks who disagree with you. If you think that the only way forward is to be as uncompromising as possible, you will feel good about yourself, you will enjoy a certain moral purity, but you’re not going to get what you want. And if you don’t get what you want long enough, you will eventually think the whole system is rigged. And that will lead to more cynicism, and less participation, and a downward spiral of more injustice and more anger and more despair. And that's never been the source of our progress. That's how we cheat ourselves of progress.
We remember Dr. King’s soaring oratory, the power of his letter from a Birmingham jail, the marches he led. But he also sat down with President Johnson in the Oval Office to try and get a Civil Rights Act and a Voting Rights Act passed. And those two seminal bills were not perfect -- just like the Emancipation Proclamation was a war document as much as it was some clarion call for freedom. Those mileposts of our progress were not perfect. They did not make up for centuries of slavery or Jim Crow or eliminate racism or provide for 40 acres and a mule. But they made things better. And you know what, I will take better every time. I always tell my staff -- better is good, because you consolidate your gains and then you move on to the next fight from a stronger position.
Brittany Packnett, a member of the Black Lives Matter movement and Campaign Zero, one of the Ferguson protest organizers, she joined our Task Force on 21st Century Policing. Some of her fellow activists questioned whether she should participate. She rolled up her sleeves and sat at the same table with big city police chiefs and prosecutors. And because she did, she ended up shaping many of the recommendations of that task force. And those recommendations are now being adopted across the country -- changes that many of the protesters called for. If young activists like Brittany had refused to participate out of some sense of ideological purity, then those great ideas would have just remained ideas. But she did participate. And that’s how change happens."

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Sun May-08-16 10:31 AM

10. "RE: Shots Fired, he's still on that, this is how it worked for civil rig..."
In response to Reply # 7

>From civil rights to his arm breaking patting himself on the
>back for video taping confessions to 21st century policing
>
>= state sanctioned violence is still not being prosecuted
>

His message was that historically change doesn't occur overnight,

>and we're suppose to believe the POTUS needs activists from a
>3 year old movement to present him with a complete plan in
>order to address the issue
>

Yes, i believe he was saying you must be fully involved for change, you can't depend on others to do it for you (and its not just POTUS, its your representatives at all levels).

>how do you compromise on legalized murder
>

I don't believe he was saying that but that you don't reject better just because it's not perfect. you consolidate your gains and you keep fighting. he acknowledged that the older generation can be stuck in its ways and but we should respect the progress they made and learn from them.

dude

bentagain
16595 posts
Sun May-08-16 10:37 AM

11. "eh, that's not what I heard"
In response to Reply # 10

I heard, this is how it's done

this is how it's been done

etc...

but I digress, as that's not really my point anyway

he's been critical of BLM repeatedly

has he been equally critical of law enforcement

has he given the counter speech in front of police unions

?

his crticism feels very one-sided

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Sun May-08-16 10:46 AM

12. "RE: eh, that's not what I heard"
In response to Reply # 11

>I heard, this is how it's done
>
>this is how it's been done
>
>etc...
>
>but I digress, as that's not really my point anyway
>
>he's been critical of BLM repeatedly
>
>has he been equally critical of law enforcement
>
>has he given the counter speech in front of police unions
>
>?
>
>his crticism feels very one-sided

I think aw enforcement and those on the right would say its been one sided against them, just watch fox news (though he hasn't addressed them personally because they aren't so much his base), people hear what they want to hear

I think BLMs criticism of him has truth

and I think his advice /criticism of BLM has truth

but it's not about him anymore, as he only has a few months left anyway

dude

bentagain
16595 posts
Sun May-08-16 02:22 PM

14. "I read your reply as no, no he hasn't"
In response to Reply # 12
Sun May-08-16 02:26 PM by bentagain

the london comments were 2 weeks ago

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13010326&mesg_id=13010326&listing_type=search

within the context of police murdering unarmed citizens

where do you compromise?

IRT voting, see Anita Alvarez and Tim McGinty

I'm saying, when has he made similar criticisms

and/or in succession like this

about police involved murders and the lack of prosecution

to law enforcement organizations

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Sun May-08-16 10:42 PM

15. "RE: I read your reply as no, no he hasn't"
In response to Reply # 14

>the london comments were 2 weeks ago
>
>http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13010326&mesg_id=13010326&listing_type=search
>
>within the context of police murdering unarmed citizens
>
>where do you compromise?
>

He was referring to the broader issue of police and criminal justice reform. For specific cases there is already a process, and he's limited in what he can say regarding those specific cases because they are local matters. The process is rigged but it's what we have to deal with for the actives cases, so for the most part he's limited to addressing the broad issue of criminal justice reform.

>IRT voting, see Anita Alvarez and Tim McGinty
>

Great, we need more of that,

>I'm saying, when has he made similar criticisms
>
>and/or in succession like this
>
>about police involved murders and the lack of prosecution
>
>to law enforcement organizations

He has voiced support for police and criminal justice reform and BLM. Would I like to see him fo mores, yes. But I don't think saying to police officers stop killing black men would make much difference. It's really more an issue of instituting systematic reforms.

The knee jerk reaction is to get mad and see it as unfair criticism. But it's really just good advice for success. its basically you've got to be more like the NRA if you want progress.

dude

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Mon May-09-16 10:43 AM

17. "you should be happy he's criticizing it because that means he loves it"
In response to Reply # 11
Mon May-09-16 10:44 AM by Damali

he wants the movement to succeed and he wants it to "win"...so it is a compliment to anything to pay enough attention to it to tell it how it can be better and improve...to reprimand it and help shape it and chisel it...

remember, he is a parent and that's what parents do. We nurture our kids not just by saying "you're great!" but by saying "you're great, but here's what you can do better"

BLM should be criticized and challenged. It will make them better and stronger and more successful.

bentagain
16595 posts
Mon May-09-16 11:37 AM

20. "IRT the parent analogy, what's the equivalent of a commencement"
In response to Reply # 17
Mon May-09-16 11:48 AM by bentagain

speech and an international press conference

that is, I think what you're citing is used in private, yes?

and not on a national (public) platform

also, he could have said the words you alluded to, but he didn't

so I'm not filling in some presumed effect

...grass roots organizations have recently brought issues that have for too long been pushed aside to the forefront of today's political landscape...and I look forward to the continued efforts of young people like yourselves (and/or activists for change) to further these efforts by working with legislators, etc...

=/= what he said, in either example.

they were get off my lawn moments, IMO

Damali
35865 posts
Mon May-09-16 03:13 PM

25. "RE: IRT the parent analogy, what's the equivalent of a commencement"
In response to Reply # 20

>speech and an international press conference
>
>that is, I think what you're citing is used in private, yes?
>
>and not on a national (public) platform

BLM is a public movement, hence its appropriate for his remarks about it to be public. Again, his criticism is for their benefit...thank goodness he cares enough to even speak about it so often. y'all are really looking at this the wrong way. this isn't a "the game must not be sold" kinda thing...this ain't a bill cosby "pull up your pants" kinda thing. We're just so used to Black leaders doing constructive criticism wrong that we can't recognize it and appreciate it when it's done right.

>so I'm not filling in some presumed effect

no effect needs to be presumed. it's all in his words. he has been very complimentary and excited by BLM. therefore, he's allowed to also critique it and offer it some guidance...especially with him having a community organizing background. there will never be a more perfect president to speak on some shit like this..it's exciting and amazing to me...

>...grass roots organizations have recently brought issues that
>have for too long been pushed aside to the forefront of
>today's political landscape...and I look forward to the
>continued efforts of young people like yourselves (and/or
>activists for change) to further these efforts by working with
>legislators, etc...
>
>=/= what he said, in either example.
>
>they were get off my lawn moments, IMO

yeah, i'm not seeing that at all, but ok. working with legislators is exactly HOW you further any movement, if you want real shit to change. women protested, then got laws passed (suffrage)...blacks marched, then got laws passed.(civil rights)..gays marched, then got laws passed (marriage equality)...BLM is all up in their "marching" phase and BHO is like ok, now get some laws passed.

i mean am I really missing something here? lol

d

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Mon May-09-16 03:21 PM

27. "RE: IRT the parent analogy, what's the equivalent of a commencement"
In response to Reply # 25

You don't we the irony in an actual lawmaker telling a protest group to get some laws passed?

How about instead of inviting rappers to the White House be reaches out to a wide spectrum of Black activists across the country (because Black activism is much bigger than "BLM") & uses his status to facilitate these things instead of lecturing from a podium?

Matter of fact how about he use his actual authority to do some god damn thing himself about out of control local police departments?

Oh that's right, he apparently as president can't even exercise authority over the military industrial complex or his own justice department lol

Never seen so much adulation for someone who accomplished a good bit, but very little in the scheme of a potentially transformative 8 year opportunity

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Mon May-09-16 08:47 PM

28. "RE: IRT the parent analogy, what's the equivalent of a commencement"
In response to Reply # 27

>You don't we the irony in an actual lawmaker telling a
>protest group to get some laws passed?
>
>How about instead of inviting rappers to the White House be
>reaches out to a wide spectrum of Black activists across the
>country (because Black activism is much bigger than "BLM") &
>uses his status to facilitate these things instead of
>lecturing from a podium?
>
>Matter of fact how about he use his actual authority to do
>some god damn thing himself about out of control local police
>departments?
>
>Oh that's right, he apparently as president can't even
>exercise authority over the military industrial complex or his
>own justice department lol
>
>Never seen so much adulation for someone who accomplished a
>good bit, but very little in the scheme of a potentially
>transformative 8 year opportunity

While your criticism is fair, it doesn't make his remarks untrue, Presidents don't get laws passed by themselves. Thus the appeal to organize and vote. Especially since he's a lame duck anyway.

dude

Damali
35865 posts
Tue May-10-16 11:33 AM

29. "i believe we will get to see more of this post-presidency"
In response to Reply # 27

and i think that's far more appropriate

as a private citizen, he can focus more on stuff he actually truly cares about...as President, the focus HAD to be wide.. and piecemeal.

so yeah i hear you and i agree. and i think that NONE of us are prepared for or can even imagine what a post-presidency, unshackled and unfettered Barack and Michelle will be like.

i'm willing to bet it will be epic.

d

bentagain
16595 posts
Tue May-10-16 12:17 PM

30. "Fam, you made the parent analogy, don't deflect to avoid answering the "
In response to Reply # 25

question

What is the equivalent?

Yes,I know BLM is a public movement

being such, I'm sure he could have addressed them directly in public

What's the equivalent to your parent analogy?

Lecture a sibling and/or narrate the issue during a family get together

in hopes of it registering with the problem child?

I think you can see how passive aggressive and condescending that sounds

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Tue May-10-16 12:21 PM

31. "RE: Fam, you made the parent analogy, don't deflect to avoid answering t..."
In response to Reply # 30

You take it too personal, just worry about if it's true or not,

If it's not ignore it, if there is someone better to vote for vote for them

dude

Damali
35865 posts
Tue May-10-16 12:28 PM

32. "i will ignore that rude phrasing. do better."
In response to Reply # 30

>question
>
>What is the equivalent?
>
>Yes,I know BLM is a public movement
>
>being such, I'm sure he could have addressed them directly in
>public
>
>What's the equivalent to your parent analogy?
>
>Lecture a sibling and/or narrate the issue during a family get
>together
>
>in hopes of it registering with the problem child?
>
>I think you can see how passive aggressive and condescending
>that sounds

i only made the parent analogy to illustrate how someone can criticize something or someone precisely because they care about that thing/person. that's it. you're reading way too deep into and that's not where i was going with it.

point being, we disagree. you think his public criticism was not a good thing. I think it was.

end of story. cool.

d

philpot
21673 posts
Mon May-09-16 12:24 PM

22. "you should be happy we're criticizing him bc that means we love him"
In response to Reply # 17

Damali
35865 posts
Mon May-09-16 03:07 PM

24. "exactly and i agree. he also has been open to welcoming criticism"
In response to Reply # 22

criticism is not bad if its done fairly.

and i think he's being very fair to BLM

philpot
21673 posts
Mon May-09-16 03:13 PM

26. "ehhhh...when facing criticism he's typically pretty condescending "
In response to Reply # 24

Even this speech was a not so subtle answer to his critics from the left and its pretty condescending as usual...in fact he's been much nicer to folks that blatantly hate him than those that criticize him from the left, it's been interesting to see

and his, idk...followers? Defenders? Whatever you call it, the folks that always stick up for him against any criticism have done an amazing job of lumping legit critics of his in with the birther type crazies ...you'll find a lot of folks jumping in front of bullets for him but when it was Bush doing the same they were pulling the trigger

So yeah, dude is charismatic & that can often lead to legions of what essentially amount to "fans"

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon May-16-16 01:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
34. "incorrect. "
In response to Reply # 26

>and his, idk...followers? Defenders? Whatever you call it,
>the folks that always stick up for him against any criticism
>have done an amazing job of lumping legit critics of his in
>with the birther type crazies ...you'll find a lot of folks
>jumping in front of bullets for him but when it was Bush doing
>the same they were pulling the trigger

if anything, those legit critics of his are buried underneath all the muck. OR those who believe they are being "legit" act just like the birthers do about the issues.

esp. in mainstream media, they give the birther-types more time on GP. that includes right-wingers in Congress. might ESPECIALLY be those dillweeds.

if it ain't skewed to the right wing agenda, good luck getting coverage.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Sun May-08-16 09:18 AM

9. "good for him"
In response to Reply # 0

>

philpot
21673 posts
Sun May-08-16 12:24 PM

13. "RE: Obama at Howard Univ commencement: "Be confident in your blackness""
In response to Reply # 0

http://youtu.be/7xxgRUyzgs0

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charismatic_authority

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Mon May-09-16 11:07 AM

18. "^^Because I don't get the appeal, you people's attraction must"
In response to Reply # 13

not be genuine.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

philpot
21673 posts
Mon May-09-16 12:06 PM

21. "I think Obama's charisma has a lot to do with his appeal"
In response to Reply # 18

I actually do get his appeal, I'm just critical of it & believe a charismatic individual can often obscure a good bit of reality

I don't really see a difference in this based on the race of the crowd he's speaking to even if he does seem to alter his message/approach when speaking to a Black audience

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon May-09-16 09:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "I want to collect all the tears that one line generated."
In response to Reply # 0

and use them to water my lawn (if I had a lawn).

nativesun07
Member since Mar 28th 2004
3620 posts
Mon May-09-16 02:39 PM

23. "thank you for showing me this"
In response to Reply # 0

so many things to think about!

I should put that in a song

@nategoodness
www.nategoodness.com

The avatar is old. And, no, that hat was not a groovy style back then, either.

bentagain
16595 posts
Mon May-16-16 09:56 AM

33. "Any comments about "activists" needing to do more @Rutgers commencement "
In response to Reply # 0

commencement?

Lobby General Discussion topic #13017829 Previous topic | Next topic