Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13010235

Subject: "Prince was not here for white people's shit" Previous topic | Next topic
John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Sat Apr-23-16 02:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Prince was not here for white people's shit"

We always thought that price was anti-internet but the fact that he started a nonprofit to teach black kids coding and made his music available for stream on Tidal makes me think he kept his music off the Internet because he didn't want white people making any more money off him.

The media always portrayed him as humorless, but in retrospect I think that's largely because he's one of the few artists who wouldn't let Weird Al do a parody. Chappelle dos that skit, and Prince used a picture of Dave-as-Prince as cover art. I now realize that Prince wasn't trying to let wypipo make fun of him, but he was here for the jokes.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Hmmm, sounds legit.
Apr 23rd 2016
most definitely !Vann Jones confirmed it as well(CNN Swipe)
Apr 23rd 2016
I was wondering why Prince was playing ping pong on New Girl
Apr 23rd 2016
he was definitely woke.
Apr 23rd 2016
"Don't Play Me"... "Family Name"
Apr 24th 2016
I see it.
Apr 24th 2016

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Sat Apr-23-16 03:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Hmmm, sounds legit."
In response to Reply # 0

With that argument, I can see that.

Since 1976

DJ007
Member since Apr 06th 2003
5447 posts
Sat Apr-23-16 03:34 PM

2. "most definitely !Vann Jones confirmed it as well(CNN Swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

Loved that he read Dr John Henrik Clarke

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/22/opinions/prince-eight-things-to-know-jones/index.html

Story highlights
Music icon Prince died Thursday at age 57
Van Jones,

(CNN)I lost my good friend Prince on Thursday. There will be much talk about the art that he created. There will be much speculation about why he left us so soon.

But right now, I just want to share eight things that people in the media -- and even his most dedicated fans -- may not know about him.

Comedian
Prince had a secret talent that few knew about. He was a comic genius. And that's no joke. Honestly: Even if he had not been a musician, he might still have been globally famous -- as a comedian. He could easily have given Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock and Kevin Hart a run for their money. Sometimes we would watch black comedy acts together on his computer, and then he would riff off their routines. He could always make them 10 times funnier -- without ever using curse words!

No swear words
By the way: Prince would never curse or use swear words -- no matter how upset he got. And he wouldn't let you swear around him. Once I said a curse word at Paisley Park (his home in Minnesota). He lifted his eyebrows and said, "You can't speak that way here." He raised one hand, palm toward me. Then he looked around the room. "The paint will peel off the walls."

Ping-pong wizard
Prince could kick anyone's butt in table tennis -- and talk trash the whole time. If you wanted to be humiliated, challenge him to a match on his ping-pong table next to the recording studio at Paisley. He would systematically destroy all comers. The worst part: listening to him brag about it -- before, during and after.

Philanthropist
Prince was immensely charitable -- giving away lots of money anonymously. As a Jehovah's Witness, he was not allowed to boast about his donations. But he helped causes as diverse as public radio, Green For All, the Harlem's Children's Zone and Black Lives Matter. More importantly, he made lots of calls behind the scenes to get people to act on causes that needed attention. He would see something in the news, and start calling people -- "We need to do something about this." He was kind of like the 911 of the celebrity class.

Black history buff
Prince was an avid reader of Dr. John Henrik Clarke and other Afro-centric historians and philosophers. The lost Egyptian city of Amarna was a source of endless fascination for him. To be sure: Prince absolutely loved all peoples. He embraced all cultures and was too broad to be defined by any one color or culture. But he kept a special place in his heart for the struggles of black folks -- going all the way back to ancient Africa.

#BlackLivesMatter
Prince was a huge fan of Black Lives Matter. He believed in young people, and their ability to change the world. He hoped that Black Lives Matter would become a movement for economic uplift -- using their creativity to start businesses. His decision to launch YesWeCode.org was a part of his faith that young people, blessed with the right spirit and given the right tools, could change the world for the better.

Secrets of The Muse
Prince almost never discussed or revealed the inspiration behind his songs. That used to drive me nuts! Believe me, I asked him a dozen different times and a dozen different ways. But he would never help me decode his most mysterious lyrics (say, in the song, "Seven"). Nor would he ever confide in me what made him remove the bass line from "When Doves Cry" -- that last-second decision that changed music history. It seemed to me that he had a very special, intimate relationship with The Muse. It was like he and God had made a sacred, creative pact. And Prince never wanted to add any interpretation to their final creations. He just wanted the words and melodies to stand on their own -- to work their magic a billion different ways, on a billion different souls.

Beat the record industry

The happiest day that I have ever seen him is the day that Phaedra Ellis-Lamkins got him his master recordings back. It was like someone being released from prison. Every day I knew him before that day he would talk about getting his masters back. Every. Single. Day. He felt that the musical industry had robbed him -- as they had robbed so many black performers before him. But after a two-decade struggle, his last manager, Phaedra, forced the powers-that-be to relent. When he finally got his precious music catalog back under his own control, it was the ultimate vindication. He looked 100 pounds lighter -- and 10 feet taller. Prince, Phaedra and I cried a little -- and laughed a lot. He had beaten them all. The jewels were back in the Vault. And the Prince was irrevocably on his throne.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Sat Apr-23-16 04:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I was wondering why Prince was playing ping pong on New Girl"
In response to Reply # 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GznAu3aDZ8k

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17857 posts
Sat Apr-23-16 11:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "he was definitely woke."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBzx_3eOyZA

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14016 posts
Sun Apr-24-16 12:20 AM

5. ""Don't Play Me"... "Family Name""
In response to Reply # 0

Why you think I love these songs? lol

It was really obvious, not only in the music,
but in his interviews as well.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49417 posts
Sun Apr-24-16 08:52 AM

6. "I see it. "
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Lobby General Discussion topic #13010235 Previous topic | Next topic