Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13006969

Subject: "Spotify rejects GOOD playlist by Adam Mansbach (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
jesustrauss
Member since Jul 20th 2006
1839 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 10:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Spotify rejects GOOD playlist by Adam Mansbach (swipe)"

This is swiped from Adam Mansbach's (author of Go The Fuck To Sleep and a bunch of other books). Facebook page. What kind of trifling is this Spotify up to?

You know how sometimes Spotify will publish a playlist by Hillary Clinton, are you're like "Wow, that's stupid"? 

A couple of weeks they asked me to put one together, "as the author of GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP." Those who know me know that it takes very little prodding to get me to put together a playlist. So I did. Here's how the Spotify guy responded to my publisher:

"...So we were thinking the playlist would be more funny and irreverent, like the book. So songs like Enter Sandman by Metallica or No Sleep Till Brooklyn by the Beastie Boys. We think people will be looking to see a list from Adam that moms can get a kick out of." 

To which I responded:

"I've been deejaying for 25 years and I'm serious about music - and this is not just insulting to me, but insulting to what they're supposed to be about, as a service built on letting people both access and learn about new music. If they can't approve of a playlist that actually does those things, I don't know what to tell them, except that they've wasted a lot of my time."

For those who want to see what a playlist unacceptable to Spotify looks like, here you go:

Pharoah Sanders, “Hum Allah Hum Allah Hum Allah”

The term “spiritual jazz” is not one I love (as opposed to what, secular jazz?), but very few songs embody it like this soaring, searching piece, also known as “Prince of Peace.” I’ve lost track of the number of music-aficionado friends who have at some point told me that this is the song they turn to in hard times. 

Joe Henderson feat. Alice Coltrane, “Earth”

I’m a sucker for extended early-70s jazz workouts featuring breakbeat drums and dope basslines, especially when they’re upwards of ten minutes long and break down to voices, chimes and harp in the middle before kicking back into headnod mode. Hypnotic in its funkiness, this joint can lull you to sleep or wake you the fuck up. 

Sister Nancy, “Bam Bam” 

Simply one of the world’s perfect songs. Sister Nancy is a singular vocalist, a deejay whose nimble phrasing and rich, melodic tone brought shades of Ella Fitzgerald to Jamaica’s early-’80s-rub-a-dub scene. I used to sing this to my daughter as a lullaby, and we’ve danced to it since she was an infant. 

24 Karat Black, “Ghetto: Misfortune’s Wealth”

Ethereal, smoky, shuffling funk with a message. After Eric B. & Rakim used it for their masterpiece “The Ghetto,” a generation of hip hop fans fell in love with this rare gem. 

A Tribe Called Quest, “Electric Relaxation”

This quintessential cut from ATCQ’s classic third album is pure sonic seduction. Butter rhymes and crispy drums, on a track made all the more poignant by the recent, untimely passing of Phife, an MC who made it look so easy that many never appreciated just how good he was. 

Last Poets, “Tribute to Obabi”

The Last Poets are known as spoken word pioneers and forefathers of political hip hop, but this track is the only (almost) instrumental in their catalogue. Saxophones, female voices, electric bass and African percussion span continents and conjure powerful spirits.

Captain Sinbad, “Man Live It”

An underrated deejay with style for days, Sinbad rocks conscious lyrics over a classic Roots Radics riddim. When I sold Go the Fuck to Sleep to Akashic Books, I tried to convince publisher and fellow reggae lover Johnny Temple to give me his copy of this rare LP as part of my advance. He wisely refused. 

Gil Scott-Heron “Winter in America”
The most salient political musician America has ever produced, Gil Scott-Heron was out in front on every major issue of his time, from apartheid to environmentalism, substance abuse to American imperialism — always with soul and wit, never bombast. The depth of his catalogue has been obscured by the fame of 1971’s “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised,” a satirical slice of spoken-word poetry and one of hip hop’s foundational texts. But Scott-Heron was also a great singer and songwriter in the blues tradition, as he proves here. When I was 17, I went to one of his shows and handed him some of my poems afterward. He barely broke his stride to take them, but at one in the morning, my phone rang and Gil spent the next two hours breaking down political history and telling me what books I needed to read, as I jotted frantic notes. It took me a while to figure out that the person he referred to as “Skippy” was Jimmy Carter, but after that, everything made a lot of sense. 

Your Old Droog, “Loosey in the Store with Pennies”

Currently the greatest lyricist in hip hop (yes, you read that right), Droog is a master of wordplay and witticism, a young MC who has assiduously studied the entire history of the form and consistently releases songs packed with gorgeous extended metaphors and deeply clever punchlines, over dusted beats by some of today’s best underground producers. 

Showbiz & AG, “Next Level (Nyte Time mix)” 

Perfectly in the pocket, from AG’s lowkey, no-frills rhymes to DJ Premier’s slinky, thumping beat. A perfect evocation of classic late night/early morning New York hip hop. You could play the instrumental on loop for hours, and nobody would be mad. 

The Romanceers, “Walking in the Rain with the One I Love”

Someday I’m going to make a mixtape of nothing but rain-related soul, and this will be the lead song. Gorgeous harmonies, laid over a hard kick and a snapping snare. What else do you need?

Impressions, “Finally Got Myself Together” 

You can’t go wrong with the Curtis Mayfield-led version of the Impressions, stretching out here on a soulful early seventies excursion that will stay in your head until you give in and spin it again. 

Bobbi Humphrey, “Harlem River Drive”

An iconic burner so versatile it feels like a mug of hot chocolate on a cold day, but will also set off your barbecue when the weather turns warm. From the rumble of that first bass note, you know you’re in good hands.

Eddie Kendricks, ‘Just Memories”

Soaring vocals and angelic arrangements make this a standout cut on Kendricks’ greatest album. Do yourself a favor and listen to the whole record, front to back. 

Delfonics, “La La Means I Love You” 

The Delfonics did (and do) soul ballads as well as they’ve ever been done. A beautiful song that lilts its way into your heart, soothing and calming and making everything all right. 

Jack McDuff, “Electric Surfboard” 

Another song I fell for via hip hop, after another great ‘90s group sampled it and laid a perfect vocal hook over the infectious melody of the tune. McDuff, one of the most tasteful organ players of the “soul jazz” era, has a catalogue full of groovers like this. 

Isley Brothers, “Ohio” 

Do you realize the Isleys have had hit records in SEVEN DIFFERENT DECADES? That the Beatles started out by covering them? Here, they cover Neil Young’s protest anthem about the Kent State Massacre with so much raw emotion that, as Jay Z would say, they make the song cry. 

Barrington Levy, “Don’t Give Up”

One of the most recognizable and unique voices in reggae, Levy gets loose here with a tribute to the strugglers and sufferers – again, over a typically rugged and tight Roots Radics riddim. The greatest studio band in history? The Radics have to be in that conversation. 

Cymande, “Promised Heights” 

A 10-piece, early-’70s outfit made up of Londoners from the West Indies, Cymande is one of those bands whose sound comes together so perfectly it makes you wonder why you’ve never heard anything quite like it. While Kool & the Gang was seasoning their simmering funk with deep jazz inflections, Cymande was across the Atlantic, stirring reggae, calypso, Rastafarian philosophy and African rhythms into their similarly subtle and sophisticated music

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
decent playlist for the turntablelabby crowd
Apr 19th 2016
you're so awesome
Apr 19th 2016
      Have fun with your Bam-Bam 45, Ras Trent
Apr 19th 2016
           the one every Kanye Stan was guzzling because he sampled it
Apr 19th 2016
                Wouldn't know, never been a Kanye stan
Apr 19th 2016
                     yep, one of my favorite books of all time easy
Apr 19th 2016
                          This guy is mad because they wanted some canned corporate shit
Apr 19th 2016
                          this dude said Ebro
Apr 19th 2016
                               I don't even use spotify bro
Apr 19th 2016
                                    devils on both sides is this joint
Apr 19th 2016
                          Ive had this book for a looong time and never finished it
Apr 19th 2016
damn. i'm going to construct that playlist for self.
Apr 19th 2016
Lol, yeah it's a good list
Apr 19th 2016
Droog is dope but foh Adam lol
Apr 19th 2016
he said "currently the greatest lyricist"
Apr 19th 2016
      so for every rapper in maybe the top 10-15 now
Apr 19th 2016
      Droog bores me
Apr 19th 2016
      ...i tend to agree with him
Apr 19th 2016
he didnt do what they commissioned him for. they dont have to accept it
Apr 19th 2016
doesn't seem like they actually gave any concrete direction
Apr 19th 2016
he seems like a bit much.
Apr 19th 2016
it's a playlist, Adam...settle down
Apr 19th 2016
FOH @ Spotify actually caring about his sidegig as a DJ
Apr 19th 2016
      lmao
Apr 19th 2016
you ask me to create a playlist and it's rejected
Apr 19th 2016
^^^^^
Apr 19th 2016
yall really are some died in the wool hatin ass haters huh?
Apr 19th 2016
dude has no right to post about something that irks him
Apr 19th 2016
I think these cats would legit blow their boss if they had to
Apr 19th 2016
      *rejects this reply*
Apr 19th 2016
bruh, have a snickers
Apr 19th 2016

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 10:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "decent playlist for the turntablelabby crowd"
In response to Reply # 0

This is a playlist I would have made 10 years ago, but I appreciate it.

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 10:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "you're so awesome "
In response to Reply # 1

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 11:32 AM

10. "Have fun with your Bam-Bam 45, Ras Trent"
In response to Reply # 3

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 11:38 AM

12. "the one every Kanye Stan was guzzling because he sampled it"
In response to Reply # 10

In 2016?

It's a good song, most of us don't make sure to point out we've known about it for 20+ years & ima guess Mansbach was up on all this stuff before you anyway

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 11:41 AM

13. "Wouldn't know, never been a Kanye stan"
In response to Reply # 12

But I see you been riding with Adam since he wrote http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51uMzgm8R8L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 11:45 AM

15. "yep, one of my favorite books of all time easy "
In response to Reply # 13

>But I see you been riding with Adam since he wrote
>http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51uMzgm8R8L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

saw Jean Grae speak about it in an interview, ordered it at the local BN & devoured it, great book

But that's 10 years ago so I need some snooty remark to let you know I'm cooler than you for mentioning it now

Full circle, and I didn't even click your link

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 11:49 AM

16. "This guy is mad because they wanted some canned corporate shit"
In response to Reply # 15

related to his kiddie book

and he wanted to show off his knowledge of Cymande and roots reggae?

I said it was a decent playlist, but even dudes on the radio like Ebro put some fun, poppy shit together on a playlist made for public consumption, to be lighthearted, not an asshole purist.

You being angry about it says a lot about you.

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 12:20 PM

24. "this dude said Ebro"
In response to Reply # 16

LOL

I'm the mad one yet you had to point out how his playlist wasn't that dope because you heard this music from the 70's 10 years ago as if because it's old to you it's bad music & shit

Mansbach basically said "nah I'm good" & y'all are mad cause he came at your precious Spotify on his own Facebook page LOL

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 12:25 PM

25. "I don't even use spotify bro"
In response to Reply # 24

I find that the rich, analog grooves of my troves of dusty vinyl are a much purer medium to convey the gritty soundscapes of decades past than the corporate greed-machine spotify.

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 12:27 PM

27. "devils on both sides is this joint "
In response to Reply # 25

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 03:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
31. "Ive had this book for a looong time and never finished it"
In response to Reply # 15

Went to find it to reread and I think I got rid of it during my last move

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 10:48 AM

2. "damn. i'm going to construct that playlist for self. "
In response to Reply # 0

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14026 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 11:54 AM

18. "Lol, yeah it's a good list "
In response to Reply # 2

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 10:59 AM

4. "Droog is dope but foh Adam lol "
In response to Reply # 0

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 12:07 PM

19. "he said "currently the greatest lyricist""
In response to Reply # 4

i don't think that's too crazy an opinion

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 12:26 PM

26. "so for every rapper in maybe the top 10-15 now "
In response to Reply # 19

That would also be a fair statement?

I love Droog, was championing him around here when cats were hating

But there's a few dudes out here (Oddisee, Red Pill, Finale, Kendrick, KA, Tim Hicks) that are lyricists without relying on the crutches your man does

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 01:15 PM

28. "Droog bores me"

He sounds like a dude who got his demo tape rejected by Def Jux

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57006 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 03:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "...i tend to agree with him"

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 11:04 AM

5. "he didnt do what they commissioned him for. they dont have to accept it"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 11:28 AM

9. "doesn't seem like they actually gave any concrete direction"
In response to Reply # 5

maybe some hinting and assuming

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 11:05 AM

6. "he seems like a bit much."
In response to Reply # 0

like the type who does too much on a regular basis.

fuck you.

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 11:14 AM

7. "it's a playlist, Adam...settle down"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 11:33 AM

11. "FOH @ Spotify actually caring about his sidegig as a DJ"
In response to Reply # 7

MOTHERFUCKER YOU WROTE A BOOK CALLED GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 12:15 PM

20. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 11

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 11:22 AM

8. "you ask me to create a playlist and it's rejected"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm posting about it.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

EMATI
Charter member
8940 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 03:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
29. "^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 8

playlist wasn't spotify approved & they have every right to reject it
just like he has every right to talk about it

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 11:42 AM

14. "yall really are some died in the wool hatin ass haters huh?"
In response to Reply # 0

cats listening to Future & Miles Davis greatest hits & running their mouths lol

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 11:50 AM

17. "dude has no right to post about something that irks him"
In response to Reply # 14

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 12:17 PM

21. "I think these cats would legit blow their boss if they had to "
In response to Reply # 17

HOW DARE YOU COMPLAIN ON YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE, BE A GOOD BOY ADAM!

buncha miserable sell outs

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 12:17 PM

22. "*rejects this reply*"
In response to Reply # 21

Big Kuntry
Member since May 09th 2010
14866 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 12:20 PM

23. "bruh, have a snickers "
In response to Reply # 14

Lobby General Discussion topic #13006969 Previous topic | Next topic