Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13005940

Subject: "Peace & Conflict Resolution studies/careers" Previous topic | Next topic
MeshaMeesh
Member since Jan 06th 2014
842 posts
Sat Apr-16-16 08:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Peace & Conflict Resolution studies/careers"
Sat Apr-16-16 08:52 PM by MeshaMeesh

What's up y'all...

I'm in my "last" year of undergrad (I have 1 more full year left, but i was supposed to be graduating this May. Lots of schitt happened)

I've been beating myself up for going into school not knowing what I wanted to do, even though I was all gun-ho about having a major in Music Industry.

3 years too late I realized I hated this major/field and that I didn't have any passions or true interests in really anything. I can't really explain it, but I just didn't have a "thing". I couldn't change my major without having to spend an extra 2 years in college. I also had no idea what I would've changed it to.

After Michael Brown/Ferguson (2014, my junior year), I became aware of the basic issues of the Black community and African diaspora. I was all hotep and stuff and got drawn into the "conscious community" lolol.. I was gonna minor in Africana studies, but i messed that up and ended up dropping the minor.

After going thru therapy and lots of inner reflection, I realized something about myself that I always knew but I didn't SEE. I do have an interest - a passion, even - about human rights and social justice and the like. I just don't know what area or issue I'd want to focus on yet.

Jumping around here - this week I, for some wild reason, started looking into grad school programs, and I came across something called Peace & Conflict Resolution studies.

"Conflict resolution and peace studies are related multidisciplinary fields encompassing the practical and theoretical bases of mediation involving research, education, and skills-based training to help build conditions necessary for peace, constructive social change, and universal respect for human rights".

http://www.idealist.org/info/GradEducation/Resources/DegreeOverviews/ConflictResolution

^this was my favorite description of what it is, and the PDF that is attached is even more in depth

I might just minor in Human Rights & Genocide Studies for my last year in order to give me a tiny bit of background for this Master's, if I even decide to go. But some of my advisors say it can help, others say it doesn't make a difference. (I have 2 W's and an F, and my GPA is 2.8 right now so I'm FUH'D UHP with my transcript. And I haven't been too involved in orgs and volunteering and whatnot sooooooo)

I guess I'll have to figure this out as I go, but I'd like to know; has anyone here majored in (undergrad and/or grad) Peace & Conflict Resolution or something similar? Or even taken a certification class? Or actually work in the type of field where the concept of Peace & Conflict Resolution are vital?

*edit*

I already googled the tons and tons of things people have done with this degree. I just want to see what very real experiences the OKP dynasty has had with this field. Thank yewww

"I'm twenty-two, catch
In the prime of my life,
I don't have time to be a wife"

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul
https://instagram.com/soul.con.fusion/

"She was on that tip about stoppin' the violence
About my people she was teachin' me..."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm a certified mediator, which is related but different, however
Apr 16th 2016
i have a small interest in Non-profit management...
Apr 16th 2016
as someone with 10+ yrs in the nonprofit game, heres the skinny
Apr 16th 2016
      RE: as someone with 10+ yrs in the nonprofit game, heres the skinny
Apr 17th 2016
depends. if you want to go international
May 14th 2016
RE: depends. if you want to go international
May 14th 2016
      Fuck around and end up like Benghazi.....Or Binlahab
May 14th 2016
           AGAIN!?! who are you, dude?
Jun 07th 2016
                LOL you search your name?
Jun 07th 2016
I was gonna say prob need a JD to make it work
Jun 07th 2016
I need to get it together
May 14th 2016
Sounds like you need some Peace and Conflict resolution in your life
May 14th 2016
RE: Sounds like you need some Peace and Conflict resolution in your life
May 14th 2016
I figured it out yawl
May 16th 2016
Millenial Issues || Do yall not have a career advisor at your school?
May 14th 2016
We do, but if YOU don't know what you're doing, u screwed
May 14th 2016
      Ahhhh...I seeee said the blind man
May 14th 2016
           lmao exactly :/
May 14th 2016
RE: Peace & Conflict Resolution studies/careers
May 15th 2016
May 16th 2016
May 16th 2016
shit. we need you svcs on these boards
Jun 07th 2016

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Sat Apr-16-16 09:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm a certified mediator, which is related but different, however"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Apr-16-16 09:03 PM by dba_BAD

i can tell you this

with that degree you have the following career options:

-teaching

-nonprofit management

-policy and advocacy work

true conflict resolution work, both at the macro and micro level, is relegated to attorneys, or on rare occaision, to MFTs/LCSWs. which, by the way, is in massive error, as attorneys often make horrible mediators. but it is what it is

__

fairweather

MeshaMeesh
842 posts
Sat Apr-16-16 10:00 PM

2. "i have a small interest in Non-profit management..."
In response to Reply # 1

Thought of that for a moment as well. I haven't taken any business classes nor did I want to lol

I don't have a choice in this world

"I'm twenty-two, catch
In the prime of my life,

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Sat Apr-16-16 10:53 PM

3. "as someone with 10+ yrs in the nonprofit game, heres the skinny"
In response to Reply # 2

if you want to do social change work, enjoy a thriving career, and are focused on some type of graduate degree, there is no more useful/flexible option than an mba, jd or mpa

at one time i might also have recommended an msw or lcsw, but these days i really don't see it.

msw/lcsw will pigeonhole you into service work

something poly/sci, diaspora, or peace related as you've suggested here, into academia

the one other option is to consider is something in planning or economic/community development, but even that will direct you into that specific corner of the work

for broad options, i'm very confident that an mba, jd or mpa is where its at

probably not what you wanted to hear, but very much the truth

the other option is to forgo grad school altogether and grind it out from the bottom up, or involve yourself with a start-up flavored shop, but i used the word grind intentionally - it's not a path i'd suggest if you have other options.

one thing i might suggest, is to identify the type of organization you think does the most exciting or admirable types of work, then identify the top organizations of that type, and check out what backgrounds the folks on their leadership teams have. similarly, see if any of them host fellowships, and find out what types of grad work their current fellows are involved in

__

fairweather

MeshaMeesh
842 posts
Sun Apr-17-16 11:48 AM

4. "RE: as someone with 10+ yrs in the nonprofit game, heres the skinny"
In response to Reply # 3

>if you want to do social change work, enjoy a thriving
>career, and are focused on some type of graduate degree, there
>is no more useful/flexible option than an mba, jd or mpa
>

The mpa seems more appealing to me. If I really get the juice, id do a double major in MPA and the MA Peace & Conflict lol.

>at one time i might also have recommended an msw or lcsw, but
>these days i really don't see it.
>
>msw/lcsw will pigeonhole you into service work
>
>something poly/sci, diaspora, or peace related as you've
>suggested here, into academia
>

Mehhh

>the one other option is to consider is something in planning
>or economic/community development, but even that will direct
>you into that specific corner of the work
>

Hmm. I wouldn't knock this... One of my main concerns is community development

>for broad options, i'm very confident that an mba, jd or mpa
>is where its at
>
>probably not what you wanted to hear, but very much the truth
>

Yeah I'm not much of a law person, but I'm willing to work with people involved since they're the ones who can really get things moving

>the other option is to forgo grad school altogether and grind
>it out from the bottom up, or involve yourself with a start-up
>flavored shop, but i used the word grind intentionally - it's
>not a path i'd suggest if you have other options.
>

Well, I am a co-founder along with 8 other people in our org New African Liberty Organization, and we've had some community service and entertainment events. Things are moving VERY slow because most of us are college students struggling with life. My long term goal is to really only work with NALO and maybe one or two of my personal side projects.

NALOOfficial.org

>one thing i might suggest, is to identify the type of
>organization you think does the most exciting or admirable
>types of work, then identify the top organizations of that
>type, and check out what backgrounds the folks on their
>leadership teams have. similarly, see if any of them host
>fellowships, and find out what types of grad work their
>current fellows are involved in

Last night I started writing out some things I'd want to see change in the community. I'm going to continue to do that especially since this bit of information seems like it is the best place for me to start. This will help me find an internship (I hope) and also make some very important connections.

The biggest obstacle for me to overcome would be my social anxiety/depression and my negative self talk. I hate being the center of attention and I despise speaking in front of more than 2 people at a time. I also tend to put myself down and fall into that spell of "I'm not capable of doing this because I don't have the skills." It's gonna be a long journey

"I'm twenty-two, catch
In the prime of my life,

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Sat May-14-16 10:54 AM

6. "depends. if you want to go international"
In response to Reply # 1

there's a lot more options for non-lawyery type careers.

*but as a field in general? i dont put much stock in it

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

MeshaMeesh
842 posts
Sat May-14-16 11:33 AM

7. "RE: depends. if you want to go international"
In response to Reply # 6

You know, I'm glad you said that because I just did some more research about the major. I don't think I want to actually go international. I came across the career of a Foreign Service Officer, and at first I thought it would be a good career... until I got to their page that kept stressing this isn't for everyone. I don't like traveling too too much, and I wouldn't want to live in a place where healthcare is limited since I get sick so easily and have lots of health issues. Gosh...

"I'm twenty-two, catch
In the prime of my life,

deejboram
Member since Sep 27th 2002
25755 posts
Sat May-14-16 03:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Fuck around and end up like Benghazi.....Or Binlahab"
In response to Reply # 7

>You know, I'm glad you said that because I just did some more
>research about the major. I don't think I want to actually go
>international. I came across the career of a Foreign Service
>Officer, and at first I thought it would be a good career...
>until I got to their page that kept stressing this isn't for
>everyone. I don't like traveling too too much, and I wouldn't
>want to live in a place where healthcare is limited since I
>get sick so easily and have lots of health issues. Gosh...

I'm fucking with you
Bin's (ex)-wife was a FSO
Inbox him for more deets on that lifestyle

pink toes: http://i.imgur.com/WN7DPL1

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Tue Jun-07-16 07:42 PM

19. "AGAIN!?! who are you, dude?"
In response to Reply # 10

unleash my balls please

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

deejboram
25755 posts
Tue Jun-07-16 08:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "LOL you search your name?"
In response to Reply # 19

>unleash my balls please

search your inbox
i wanted to be an FSO
you gave me info about it cause your wife was one

that is all
you mad?

jesus christ man, relax.

nobody aint trying to do you no harm.

was my statement in here derogatory towards you?

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Tue Jun-07-16 09:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "I was gonna say prob need a JD to make it work"
In response to Reply # 1

Aside: why do you think attorneys (often) make terrible mediators?

i still blame hip-hop.

MeshaMeesh
842 posts
Sat May-14-16 10:45 AM

5. "I need to get it together"
In response to Reply # 0

For those that don't know, I came into college as a Music Industry major. I'm now Music Studies because I HATE this major and the Music Studies option required fewer music classes (from different areas of study, such as technology, business, theory, and random stuff).

I am NOT a musician by far. I don't play anything, I can't sing, and after 3 years of theory, I still don't know it.

I wanted to do Music because I had an interest in working with artists and becoming an A&R or having my own studio or label eventually. I lost that interest because it just seems like this field isn't a good match for my personality. Honestly, I'm very timid, introverted, and anxious and I really have bad vibes about this stuff.

So that's the story about my dilemma. So here's something new:

I'm planning on minoring in Human Rights & Genocide Studies for my final (5th) year of college.

It's another story as to why I'm here another year but most of it is because I suffered a deep depression and developed sever anxiety last year, that caused a bunch of chaos and time off from school. I also have a bunch of health issues...

The minor will only require 4 more classes since I took one of the class requirements this semester. Boom - no big deal. Even if I wasn't going to do the minor, I still would've had to stay an extra year to finish my 3 gen eds, one music class req, and electives.

But nooowwwww.... going back to the whole "I hate my major" thing: I had a spark of interest in just adding a major, International Studies, so I can have a double major of Music & International Studies and the minor in Human Rights & Genocide.

I find ALL of the courses under International Studies very interesting. And I see it could tie in with the Peace & Conflict Studies Master's program for Grad school.

But, I just don't know if it will be worth it to do the double major. I'd have to stay an additional year, maybe longer, just to graduate. I'd be a 6 year senior (with summer and winter courses included).

Do y'all think it's worth it? Should I add the International Studies minor? Would it help me in the grad school process since I know exactly what I want to study there? I have NONE of the background or experience that Peace & Conflict would require. I'm a Music major who hated all her classes and can barely remember what courses I took. I learned more about myself than what I "learned" in class.

And of course, having a job that can help prepare me for the grad program can be a major help. I've applied to internships at NPO's involving Human Rights and International stuff, but of course, I haven't heard back...

Do you think, if I can get a job in that field, I don't have to do the double major in International studies?

I'm sorry for all of these questions... I'm getting flustered again and I'm really stuck. I'll talk to my advisor and the convenor of the International Studies program in a few weeks, but I really like taking in the advice/experiences of others just to weigh my options.

"I'm twenty-two, catch
In the prime of my life,

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79352 posts
Sat May-14-16 02:49 PM

8. "Sounds like you need some Peace and Conflict resolution in your life"
In response to Reply # 5

Real talk, are you scared of graduating? How do you grt 3 years in and then decide you dont like anything about your major?

I only ask this because I made the mistake of changing my major out of fear and wasted a year of college.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MeshaMeesh
842 posts
Sat May-14-16 04:52 PM

11. "RE: Sounds like you need some Peace and Conflict resolution in your life"
In response to Reply # 8

>Real talk, are you scared of graduating? How do you grt 3
>years in and then decide you dont like anything about your
>major?
>
>I only ask this because I made the mistake of changing my
>major out of fear and wasted a year of college.
>
>

I'm scared of graduating but I'm more scared of graduating and getting into a job or career that I'll hate, or NOT getting a job because I have a major that I wasted and don't wanna be in that industry. I went into college with that major thinking it was actually my passion, but it wasn't meant to be. After taking classes for it, I realized idgaf about any of the music industry stuff. I realized this at the end of my sophomore year. And during my junior year, I still did not know what else I'd want to get into. I finally realize now what my interests are, in my senior year ( i took last semester off)...

"I'm twenty-two, catch
In the prime of my life,

MeshaMeesh
842 posts
Mon May-16-16 11:17 AM

17. "I figured it out yawl"
In response to Reply # 5

Not gonna do this double major because money and time is something I don't have the pleasure of spending. Just gonna do the minor, graduate, pray I get some great internships or even a JOB, and then take it from there with Grad school.

"I'm twenty-two, catch
In the prime of my life,

deejboram
25755 posts
Sat May-14-16 03:37 PM

9. "Millenial Issues || Do yall not have a career advisor at your school?"
In response to Reply # 0

Thank God I went to THEE Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University
where we didn't have to worry about shit like this because our school had our backs and prepared us for LIFE
Not to mention, "The Hill" is a place where "Service Is Sovereignty"

MeshaMeesh
842 posts
Sat May-14-16 04:55 PM

12. "We do, but if YOU don't know what you're doing, u screwed"
In response to Reply # 9

I practically live in my advisor's office, but she can only do so much. If I don't know what I wanna do with my life, she can help me find a path, but it's my duty to really take the next step. Before, I didn't know what the hayll I wanted. Now, all this stuff is slowly coming together for me, but unfortunately it's coming waaayyyy too late in the game.

"I'm twenty-two, catch
In the prime of my life,

deejboram
25755 posts
Sat May-14-16 05:15 PM

13. "Ahhhh...I seeee said the blind man"
In response to Reply # 12

>I practically live in my advisor's office, but she can only
>do so much. If I don't know what I wanna do with my life, she
>can help me find a path, but it's my duty to really take the
>next step. Before, I didn't know what the hayll I wanted. Now,
>all this stuff is slowly coming together for me, but
>unfortunately it's coming waaayyyy too late in the game.

Millenial Issues

MeshaMeesh
842 posts
Sat May-14-16 06:08 PM

14. "lmao exactly :/"
In response to Reply # 13

"I'm twenty-two, catch
In the prime of my life,

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Sun May-15-16 07:24 PM

15. "RE: Peace & Conflict Resolution studies/careers"
In response to Reply # 0

hit up the US Institute for Peace. USIP has so many dope programs dealing w/P&CR. Not sure if you're interested in Grad school, but I'd really recommend American University's program.

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

MeshaMeesh
842 posts
Mon May-16-16 11:15 AM

16. "RE: Peace & Conflict Resolution studies/careers"
In response to Reply # 15

>hit up the US Institute for Peace. USIP has so many dope
>programs dealing w/P&CR. Not sure if you're interested in Grad
>school, but I'd really recommend American University's
>program.

Thank you so much, I appreciate it! I'm slightly interested in Grad school, so I was looking into the program Rutgers Newark has (since I'm a Newark resident). I just found out that Master's programs don't receive as much funding as Undergrad, so if I'm blessed to get accepted into Grad school, I think staying home might save lots of money. But of course, I'd have to see how things go. Who knows... I might move lol.

"I'm twenty-two, catch
In the prime of my life,

MeshaMeesh
842 posts
Mon May-16-16 11:57 AM

18. "RE: Peace & Conflict Resolution studies/careers"
In response to Reply # 15

Do you know of any similar programs based in New York?

the USIP and American University's programs look AMAZING!!!! To intern for the USIP, one has to attend a college within the Consortium of Universities in the DC area, and American has the program I like best. But, just as a precaution, I want to see if there's anything similar in my area.

"I'm twenty-two, catch
In the prime of my life,

deejboram
25755 posts
Tue Jun-07-16 08:05 PM

21. "shit. we need you svcs on these boards"
In response to Reply # 0

niggas losing they minds thinking ppl talkin bad about them when that aint even the case

Lobby General Discussion topic #13005940 Previous topic | Next topic