Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12998443

Subject: "Headbangers Ball - heard any good metal lately?" Previous topic | Next topic
PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Mon Apr-04-16 03:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Headbangers Ball - heard any good metal lately?"

I'm still basically listening to the "recent" stuff that was posted in the last big metal post I made:

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12945205&mesg_id=12945205&listing_type=search

Just saw Slayer two weeks ago (my first metal show) and I'm hitting up another show in May to see Black Breath (anyone familiar with them? their most recent album, Slaves Beyond Death, is my shit).

Anyhow...any recommendations?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Cobalt - Slow Forever seems to be the big one making waves
Apr 04th 2016
thanks. I often see shit then just forget to check it. Cobalt was one.
Apr 04th 2016
Ill check out Bad Breath. I liked one of their earlier records
Apr 04th 2016
i'd really be curious to hear what you think.
Apr 04th 2016
RE: thanks. I often see shit then just forget to check it. Cobalt was on...
Apr 05th 2016
      yeah man. love that album. so good.
Apr 05th 2016
Ha yeah. I definitely put that Orannsi Pazuzu on my wishlist
Apr 05th 2016
My annual high on fire appreciation post.
Apr 04th 2016
If you like Black Breath...
Apr 05th 2016
i will check these out. thanks for the recommendations.
Apr 05th 2016
Haunter - διαδήλωση
Apr 05th 2016

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Apr-04-16 03:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Cobalt - Slow Forever seems to be the big one making waves"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Apr-04-16 03:25 PM by BigReg

Double album, touches on a wide variety of heavy music (thrash, doom, etc). They put their foot into it...its complex but the songwriting is probably the sharpest ive heard in awhile in metal...like cool riff ideas/parts aren't just thrown away randomly to move onto the next heavy riff for the kids to mosh to...they will come back as codas...etc. Just a well structured musical album.

Oranssi Pazuzu's new one. They are a black metal band in pretty much vocals only, the music is very prog and almost dark jazz like at times.

While not underground metal the new Deftones record is also a great return to form. Their last few records felt like their metal aspect was put in begrudgingly...this one has a much healthier mix of sinister riffs peppered all throughout the record and their prettier side even seems sharper.

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Mon Apr-04-16 03:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "thanks. I often see shit then just forget to check it. Cobalt was one."
In response to Reply # 1
Mon Apr-04-16 03:31 PM by PROMO

looking forward to hearing the Deftones joint because I really liked that first single (second single was solid but not as good IMO), and Deftones are one of my niece's favorites so there's that.

if you like black metal, definitely check that Black Breath album i mentioned if you haven't. was on more than few best of 2015 lists. i gave em a flyer after a guy at a local store told me about them when i went in looking for the re-issue of Vio-lence's Eternal Nightmare album...plus they are from Seattle which was an added bonus (and makes them much easier to see perform). title track is my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdTdvOVAquc

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Apr-04-16 04:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Ill check out Bad Breath. I liked one of their earlier records"
In response to Reply # 2

>if you like black metal, definitely check that Black Breath
>album i mentioned if you haven't. was on more than few best of
>2015 lists. i gave em a flyer after a guy at a local store
>told me about them when i went in looking for the re-issue of
>Vio-lence's Eternal Nightmare album...plus they are from
>Seattle which was an added bonus (and makes them much easier
>to see perform). title track is my favorite.

I didnt even know they had anything out recently.

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Mon Apr-04-16 04:14 PM

4. "i'd really be curious to hear what you think."
In response to Reply # 3

i listened to their earlier albums and while i enjoyed them, they definitely went a different direction with this most recent one. they went for longer songs that are a bit more "riff-y/groove-y" than before.

i guess you could say this would be their South of Heaven album where they maybe purposely went longer and slower if the prior stuff was Reign In Blood, LOL.

that said, i love it.

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Tue Apr-05-16 03:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "RE: thanks. I often see shit then just forget to check it. Cobalt was on..."
In response to Reply # 2

>when i went in looking for the re-issue of
>Vio-lence's Eternal Nightmare album...

*props*!!!

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Tue Apr-05-16 10:05 AM

10. "yeah man. love that album. so good."
In response to Reply # 7

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Tue Apr-05-16 08:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Ha yeah. I definitely put that Orannsi Pazuzu on my wishlist"
In response to Reply # 1

the clips I heard were awesome

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Mon Apr-04-16 04:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "My annual high on fire appreciation post."
In response to Reply # 0

also loving torche.

Open road by Christian mistress was in my top 5 records of last year

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Tue Apr-05-16 02:51 AM

6. "If you like Black Breath..."
In response to Reply # 0

...you should check out the swedish old school death metal stuff from the early 90's like the first three Entombed-albums, Dismember's debut, Carnage's "Dark recollections", first two albums and the many '89 demos by Grave (their sound was a tad more american old school than the other ones and a bit different in feel but still the same vibe kind of) and numerous obscurities like Nirvana 2002 (dope!), God Macabre/Macabre End, Utumno etc. For newer bands in the style, I don't really follow the retro-scene too much anymore since it became redundant a few years back with too many bands but Bombs of Hades, first Death Breath, the somewhat more "blackened" band Crucifyre and some others are worth peeping as well. Oh yeah, first Tribulation and Repugnant as well!

Black Breath has always had that in their music but earlier, they sounded a bit more "crust-punk" (crust was of course an influence in the stuff I mentioned as well but a bit less emphasised), now, theyv'e gone more purely old school swedeath-I dig that shit too...

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Tue Apr-05-16 10:07 AM

11. "i will check these out. thanks for the recommendations."
In response to Reply # 6

being late to metal as a genre, i'm trying to keep up with new releases AND discover older acts/albums that are the foundation, so appreciate those suggestions as well.

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Tue Apr-05-16 08:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Haunter - διαδήλωση"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm so mad at this album title like wtf

Band is from San Antonio, TX by way of other places but I liked their sound

https://hauntertx.bandcamp.com/

For the Christian Mistress / Subrosa female vocalist fans, Worship of Keres also put out a decent EP that is not breaking any molds but is a good addition to a playlist. Also been playing that.

Older news:

On the doom front, Egypt put out a new album, which is solid. Also been catching up on old Wo-Fat.

Some really great atmospheric death metal by Wiegedood, album is "De Doden Hebben Het Goed" and Panopticon "Autumn Eternal". Highly recommend these two albums.

Went with my homie to see White Widows Pact play at vitus a couple months ago, and was surprised to see Horrendous headlining, who killed it. Still been playing Ecdysis and the older album, but not their new shit.

Got the Baroness Blue and Red albums on record, separately, about 6 weeks apart at different record stores, which is dope.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12998443 Previous topic | Next topic