Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12992558

Subject: "The "truth" about Martin Luther King, Jr. by Stefan Molyneux" Previous topic | Next topic
The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed Mar-23-16 02:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The "truth" about Martin Luther King, Jr. by Stefan Molyneux"

Ok, so I know about MLK's infidelity or what have you but this dude is supposedly doing a full exposure of MLK, Jr. How on the money is dude or is he full of crap? I'm basing some of what was said off of the comments since I don't have a lot of time to watch this video. I did see a link on Google where Joe Rogan says dude is a liar. I need to hear from you cats if you're well versed on this Stefan dude.

His 'exposure' of MLK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgqz3CaAWC0

The link where Joe says he's a liar: http://www.fdrliberated.com/the-day-joe-rogan-discovered-the-real-stefan-molyneux/

A bunch of YT links of vids calling dude a liar: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_videos&search_query=Stefan+Molyneux+a+liar&search_sort=relevance&search_category=0&page=

Since 1976

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
1. I'm inclined to believe Joe Rogan from jump.
Mar 23rd 2016
I got 20 minutes in and gave up
Mar 23rd 2016
ugh I can't watch this.
Mar 23rd 2016
Based on what I was able to glean from the comments....
Mar 23rd 2016
Truth is he opposed the Vietnam war and wanted to help all poor
Mar 23rd 2016
A rhetorical idealogue that is not intellectually honest.
Mar 23rd 2016
Thanks for that breakdown. I knew somebody on here....
Mar 23rd 2016
He's white, wtf cares what his opinion is on anything BLACK.
Mar 24th 2016
Real Life, how do ppl try to get serious information from YT videos?
Mar 24th 2016

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Wed Mar-23-16 03:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "1. I'm inclined to believe Joe Rogan from jump. "
In response to Reply # 0

2. I don't really care if it's true. Afaik it's gonna be plagiarism, infidelity and maybe some shit about wanting to be famous. I don't care. I don't need historical figures to be perfect by any standard certainly not by our 21st standards.

He's the civil rights leader who took the ultimate high road to appeal to and fight oppression, gave us the language of the struggle and perseverance and added to the perspective of all Americans the plight of Blacks and the poor. If you got a scandal that disproves any of that I'm all ears, but I don't really care if he didn't pay parking tickets or some shit like that.

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed Mar-23-16 07:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I got 20 minutes in and gave up"
In response to Reply # 1

Yep yep yep on all counts you predicted. There's too many problematic assertions to even address. ie it's been 'covered up' that MLK cheated on his wife. No it hasn't....It's common knowledge. Then he cherry-picks a few insignificant quotes from MLK in an attempt to make him look naive ie 'If the world is 2/3 water than why do people have to pay a water bill?' I mean....you can go through any person's public life and find a couple wayward claims or comments. What's the point? Was protesting water bills a significant part of MLK's life? Whatever.

There's literally nothing substantial here that will change a normal person's perspective of MLK.

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Wed Mar-23-16 03:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "ugh I can't watch this."
In response to Reply # 0

Not because I don't want to hear criticism of King, but I gave it a shot and the first few minutes are terrible.

Plagiarism is a valid criticism but he's following that with an argument that because King wanted laws passed or changed and all state action is inherently violent, King wasn't actually non-violent.

Not gonna waste time listening to the half baked logical gymnastics of this goof.

i still blame hip-hop.

The Wordsmith
17070 posts
Wed Mar-23-16 06:24 PM

4. "Based on what I was able to glean from the comments...."
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Mar-23-16 06:26 PM by The Wordsmith

...I had my suspicions because the folks that championed this dudes' "truth" were too eager to spout the "He's no different from (insert a few Black figures that racist white folks can't stand) and is just as bad as them" type of angry "we're losing our country" rants. Flags were getting raised hard once I saw those type of comments.

I had the volume low, so I didn't get to make out much of what was being said, plus I had homework to finish up before I left for school, so I didn't have time to hear his points. If anything, I assumed some of you folks had an idea about dude and could give a breakdown about him and his integrity or lack of.

Since 1976

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Mar-23-16 04:15 PM

3. "Truth is he opposed the Vietnam war and wanted to help all poor"
In response to Reply # 0

which is giving more of a damn than every president combined.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed Mar-23-16 07:35 PM

6. "A rhetorical idealogue that is not intellectually honest."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-23-16 07:37 PM by denny

I first came across him shortly after the Elliot Rodger shootings. He had an hour long dissertation on that event that I found somewhat interesting.

Digging deeper....he's a men's rights activist....a moralist.....a libertarian.....tends to be very reactionary. ie Anti-Politically correct. I don't disagree with EVERYTHING he says...but I ended up hearing enough to know that he cherry-picks information and facts, truth and nuance be damned, to support his pre-conceived worldview that definitely falls into 'white man's burden' territory. I mean...lots of people do that....but he REALLY does it and he's particularly opportunistic in how he goes about it. So he lost my trust after watching a couple videos.

The Wordsmith
17070 posts
Wed Mar-23-16 07:46 PM

7. "Thanks for that breakdown. I knew somebody on here...."
In response to Reply # 6

...had to know about dude and his agenda.

Since 1976

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Thu Mar-24-16 09:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "He's white, wtf cares what his opinion is on anything BLACK."
In response to Reply # 0

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg

Get 25% off www.karmaloop.com w/ rep code JR9103 |
Nike, G-Star, Herschel, Adidas (Men's & Women's clothing)

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49525 posts
Thu Mar-24-16 09:48 AM

9. "Real Life, how do ppl try to get serious information from YT videos?"
In response to Reply # 0

Like if there were a topic I was seriously interested in, I'd read a book on it. And not just any book, I'd check out the authors, try to figure out the author who is most objective (no agenda) and verse on the subject, and the author who is most recommended by sources I trust.

It seems folks, not accusing the OP this is just a rant, now want to skip all that and allow a dude talking to a camera with no verifiable expertise on a subject matter, school them on a topic. That's how we get a kid in his explaining how he cracked the 9/11 conspiracy.

Any time I see someone post a video in my FB feed talking about "watch this video, it will change your life", I'm like "nah, I am good".

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Lobby General Discussion topic #12992558 Previous topic | Next topic