Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12963323

Subject: "RIP Abe Vigoda" Previous topic | Next topic
placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 02:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"RIP Abe Vigoda"

Seriously

He died in his sleep @ age 94

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't believe it
Jan 26th 2016
oops
Jan 26th 2016
TMZ says it's real. I was doubtful at first too [link]
Jan 26th 2016
Someone else I assumed was immortal.
Jan 26th 2016
if its true RIP to one of the goats
Jan 26th 2016
damn RIP Tessio
Jan 26th 2016
damn, RIP
Jan 26th 2016
It's the smart ones. .. RIP Sal
Jan 26th 2016
damn, RIP Fish.
Jan 26th 2016
he wasn't gone already?
Jan 26th 2016
http://www.abevigoda.com/
Jan 26th 2016
rip Fish
Jan 26th 2016
RIP Fish (link & swipe)
Jan 26th 2016
RIP
Jan 26th 2016
respect due.
Jan 26th 2016
RIP, I loved him he was such a good sport
Jan 26th 2016
wow RIP FISH
Jan 26th 2016
Tell Mike it was only business...
Jan 26th 2016

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 02:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I don't believe it"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-26-16 02:55 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

I went to check abevigoda.com and got timed out. I guess everyone needs that confirmation too.

RIP

placee_22
12956 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 02:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"oops"
Tue Jan-26-16 02:57 PM by placee_22

placee_22
12956 posts

3. "TMZ says it's real. I was doubtful at first too [link]"
In response to Reply # 1

http://www.tmz.com/2016/01/26/abe-vigoda-dead/

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23878 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Someone else I assumed was immortal."
In response to Reply # 0

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10137 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 02:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "if its true RIP to one of the goats"
In response to Reply # 0

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 02:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "damn RIP Tessio"
In response to Reply # 0

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 03:01 PM

6. "damn, RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 03:09 PM

7. "It's the smart ones. .. RIP Sal"
In response to Reply # 0

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 03:11 PM

8. "damn, RIP Fish."
In response to Reply # 0

my favorite character from Barney Miller.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 03:11 PM

9. "he wasn't gone already?"
In response to Reply # 0

fuck you.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 03:13 PM

10. "http://www.abevigoda.com/"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-26-16 03:14 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

http://www.abevigoda.com/

rdhull
Charter member
33131 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 03:15 PM

11. "rip Fish"
In response to Reply # 0

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22286 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 03:18 PM

12. "RIP Fish (link & swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

It was a running joke that he was still alive after several false reports.

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=post&forum=4&topic_id=12963323&mesg_id=12963323

Abe Vigoda, the beloved actor known for playing Det. Fish on Barney Miller and mobster Sal Tessio in The Godfather, and for weathering years of mistaken reports about his death, died in his sleep in New Jersey on Tuesday, January 26, at the age of 94.

Audiences first got to know the actor in 1972’s The Godfather, when the then 51-year-old actor played Tessio, a longtime friend and associate of the Corleone family who’s killed when the Corleones find out he’s been working with a rival mob family.

In 1975, Vigoda began playing Det. Phil Fish on the Emmy and Golden Globe-winning ABC sitcom Barney Miller. Fish was a cantankerous New York City detective whose advancing age had led to a lot of physical ailments, namely a persistent hemorrhoids issue that fed his grumpiness and made the squad’s bathroom one of his frequent hangouts.

The role earned Vigoda three Emmy nominations, and led to a spin-off, Fish, in which an eventually-retired Fish and his wife Bernice (Florence Stanley) raised a group of foster children (including one played by a pre-Diff’rent Strokes Todd Bridges). The series ran for two seasons on ABC.

In author Louis Zorich’s 2009 book What Have You Done?: The Inside Stories of Auditioning, from the Ridiculous to the Sublime, Vigoda recalled how he was cast on Miller. He had completed his daily five-mile jog when he got a call from his agent, who told him to head to the studio to audition right away. He said he needed to take a shower first and change out of his running shorts.

“’No, no, no, go right now to Studio City, you’re very right for it, they know you from The Godfather, they want to see you,’” he said his agent told him. Vigoda arrived, still wearing the shorts and looking tired, which Miller producers Danny Arnold and Ted Flicker pointed out to him.

“’Of course I’m tired,’” he said he told them. “’I jogged five miles this morning, I’m exhausted.’”

The producers: “Yeah, yeah, tell me, you look like you have hemorrhoids.”

Vigoda: “What are you, a doctor or a producer?”

The star, born in Brooklyn on Feb. 24, 1921 to parents who immigrated from Russia, began his acting career in 1947, and appeared in several Broadway productions before his breakout role in The Godfather.

He also guest-starred on TV shows like Dark Shadows, Kojak, and Hawaii Five-0, and, post-Barney Miller and Fish, had memorable roles in Cannonball Run, Look Who’s Talking, Joe Versus the Volcano, and Good Burger.

Vigoda, who always looked a bit older than his actual age, also played along with what became a running joke: premature reports of his death. In 1982, People magazine mistakenly printed a story that referred to him as “the late” Abe Vigoda, which prompted him to pose, sitting up, in a coffin, holding a copy of People, for a photo that ran in Variety to prove he was very much alive.

Various TV reports, late-night TV hosts David Letterman and Conan O’Brien, and numerous Websites either mistakenly reported his death or poked fun at the idea that he was frequently the subject of such rumors. A pair of Websites — Abe Vigoda Status and Is Abe Vigoda Dead? — exist solely to keep tabs on whether or not he’s still alive, and Vigoda won a whole new fanbase for his good humor and longevity as faux reports of his death became a meme.

Today host Matt Lauer called him that show’s favorite guest of all time, while Vigoda and equally popular star Betty White, both 88 at the time, appeared together in a 2010 Snickers Super Bowl ad that poked fun at their ages.

In a Halloween 2013 Phish concert in Atlantic City, Vigoda appeared as a furry Wombat character on stage with the band, and a California punk band even named itself after the actor.

Vigoda, who credited a lifelong regime of playing handball for much of his success and good health, was married to wife Beatrice Schy for 24 years, until her 1992 death. He is survived by one daughter, Carol.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 05:34 PM

13. "RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

I saw him once on the upper east side. Always been a fan of the man.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 05:37 PM

14. "respect due."
In response to Reply # 0

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 05:38 PM

15. "RIP, I loved him he was such a good sport"
In response to Reply # 0

He was on Conan all the time doing "is Abe Vigoda dead" skits lol

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 08:19 PM

16. "wow RIP FISH"
In response to Reply # 0

first show i seen todd bridges on

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 09:40 PM

17. "Tell Mike it was only business..."
In response to Reply # 0

I always liked him.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Lobby General Discussion topic #12963323 Previous topic | Next topic