Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12956867

Subject: "split the Powerball jackpot evenly,every American gets $4.3 mil " Previous topic | Next topic
BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 10:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: split the Powerball jackpot evenly,every American gets $4.3 mil "

what's your reaction when you read/hear that statement?

Poll result (15 votes)
that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard (c) Cliff Huxtable to Theo (2 votes)Vote
hell yeah, why ain't we doin it that way? i blame Obama (1 votes)Vote
another failure of the public school system (2 votes)Vote
Americans are a stupid people, by & large. We pretty much believe whatever we’re told (10 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's a simple math fail, and only an indication of math skills
Jan 14th 2016
its also a common sense fail.
Jan 14th 2016
100% wrong. People see it and spread misinformation.
Jan 14th 2016
      Hanlon's Razor
Jan 14th 2016
           in this case malice and stupidity yields the same results
Jan 14th 2016
By my math everybody gets about $4.00 (assuming a $2BB prize)
Jan 14th 2016
that would certainly make my day.
Jan 14th 2016
if you win the welchs fruit snacks prize, do you quit your job????
Jan 14th 2016
      Nah, just create some space in my lunchbox
Jan 14th 2016
Well, once you factor in lump sum and the federal tax reductions...
Jan 14th 2016
yellow by far...i've heard a couple of people say it and as soon as they
Jan 14th 2016
I bet there’s a strong correlation between them and Trump
Jan 14th 2016
#quickmath
Jan 14th 2016
Put it on a meme and people will believe it's true.
Jan 14th 2016
Only when the meme appeals to their general world view
Jan 14th 2016
http://i.imgur.com/uJOc8iA.jpg
Jan 14th 2016
It started as a meme and yes they thought it was true.
Jan 14th 2016
Did a mass of people really believe it?
Jan 14th 2016
You are far less cynical than I lol
Jan 14th 2016
i had 2 coworkers say it individually.
Jan 14th 2016
my friend posted it ..
Jan 14th 2016
lolz
Jan 14th 2016
GODDAMN
Jan 14th 2016
bless her heart...
Jan 14th 2016
lol
Jan 14th 2016
Mine happened backwards. A couple posted it clowning it, but
Jan 14th 2016
It's true tho... América, Tamaulipas (Nuevo Laredo, Mexico). Pop: 255
Jan 14th 2016
I saw 25-30 people post it to clown it, but only 2 who posted it as if
Jan 14th 2016
If they posted it without pointing out the error...
Jan 14th 2016
8 (or 15) divided by 3 is hard for some people I guess.
Jan 14th 2016

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 10:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's a simple math fail, and only an indication of math skills"
In response to Reply # 0

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 10:04 AM

3. "its also a common sense fail."
In response to Reply # 1

lack of critical thinking skills

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44862 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 11:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "100% wrong. People see it and spread misinformation. "
In response to Reply # 1
Thu Jan-14-16 11:45 AM by Cold Truth

That's not "just a simple math fail".

That's "This appeals to me so I will not question or examine and I'm forwarding this shit because it sounds smart."

I’m betting plenty of people aren’t even DOING the math. They hear someone say it or see a post and just run with it without question.

IMO it’s indicative of a far more insidious issue because more than bad math or a lack of common sense it’s a complete lack of critical thinking. You have to try to fail and frankly I don’t think people are trying at all when it comes to spreading this sort of misinformation. I’m sure there are plenty of people who see it, agree, take a second look, and realize their error and that’s simple human error.

But when people see it, don’t bother to do the math, spread it, and refuse to accept that they made a mistake in their math (or lack of) or didn’t bother to check the information before spreading it? That’s far more than a math fail.

***for the record, I'm not saying this particular bit of misinformation is something massively detrimental to society, but I am saying it's a microcosm of the general mentality that spreads this sort of thing.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 12:02 PM

17. "Hanlon's Razor"
In response to Reply # 14
Thu Jan-14-16 12:04 PM by flipnile

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

I made the same miscalculation at first. Once I thought about for more than a few seconds, I realized my error.

I generally stay away from social media, so I can't speak for the nonsense that gets passed around on those platforms. Just remember tho... folks on social media are still cracking themselves up by photoshopping Jordan's face onto other people's bodies or posting pictures of a puppet frog drinking tea with un-witty captions.

Cold Truth
44862 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 12:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "in this case malice and stupidity yields the same results"
In response to Reply # 17

And I see it as a distinction without a difference. Whatever the underlying catalyst, now have a culture of misinformation and half truths that is readily observable on a large scale coupled with a generally equal resistance to correction. Again, I'm speaking to the larger ramifications of this mentality in general far more than I'm harping on the specific Powerball math nonsense.

Take the Mandela Effect, for example: people are so resistant to the notion that their memory isn't quite what they would like it to be that they would rather take a strong stance that the timeline has shifted or Hitler did some wacky occult sci-fi hullabaloo and parallel universes are merging because, by god, it's Interview with A Vampire, NOT Interview With THE Vampire. It's BerenSTEIN, not BerenSTAIN, because, by all that is holy, that's how they remember it.

Rather than accept that people tend to embellish in even small ways and likewise tend to misunderstand how the human memory actually works, they choose to believe that this is all caused be elements of two universes getting swapped out.

So, again: people see something that sounds correct, don't bother to question it, and pass it along. It's not "malice" per say but it is lazy and generally harmful to varying degrees, dependent upon the overall significance of the information being misrepresented.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 10:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "By my math everybody gets about $4.00 (assuming a $2BB prize)"
In response to Reply # 0

That's enough to get a bag of the 7-Eleven size Welch's Fruit snacks, which actually wouldn't be that bad of a thing to happen.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 10:05 AM

4. "that would certainly make my day."
In response to Reply # 2

<--- Big Baller World Order

Cenario
59181 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 10:06 AM

6. "if you win the welchs fruit snacks prize, do you quit your job????"
In response to Reply # 4

idk, i might at least take the day

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14027 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 10:28 AM

8. "Nah, just create some space in my lunchbox"
In response to Reply # 6

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 12:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "Well, once you factor in lump sum and the federal tax reductions..."
In response to Reply # 2

...I think it comes out to a little over $1 per person. So you could buy every person in America a bag of Funions. And maybe a pack of Now and Laters.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Cenario
59181 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 10:05 AM

5. "yellow by far...i've heard a couple of people say it and as soon as they"
In response to Reply # 0

are told they are wrong, they simply say where they heard it from. They didn't even stop to consider for a second why it was wrong.

Cold Truth
44862 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 11:21 AM

10. "I bet there’s a strong correlation between them and Trump "
In response to Reply # 5

voters. The same people who spread that bullshit probably makeup a sizeable portion of the Trump base.

This isn’t a simple math fail.

It’s a shining example of people of people simply believing what they hear because it’s what they want to hear. People just hear/read some shit that sounds appealing and there’s not even a subconscious level of analysis.

It’s truly terrifying when you realize these are people who have the ability to vote and even more terrifying when you realize there is a guy out there who caters strongly to this sort of thinking and could be elected because of it.

I swear if there was an Idiocracy prequel it would start with a Trump speech followed by a scene of people sharing that powerball bullshit.

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 10:11 AM

7. "#quickmath"
In response to Reply # 0

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 10:34 AM

9. "Put it on a meme and people will believe it's true."
In response to Reply # 0

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Cold Truth
44862 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 11:25 AM

11. "Only when the meme appeals to their general world view "
In response to Reply # 9

Even if the meme is true people will reject it if the message contradicts their preconceived notions.

Cenario
59181 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 11:33 AM

12. "http://i.imgur.com/uJOc8iA.jpg"
In response to Reply # 9

http://i.imgur.com/uJOc8iA.jpg

DavidHasselhoff
Charter member
11451 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 01:06 PM

23. "It started as a meme and yes they thought it was true."
In response to Reply # 9

http://power98fm.com/2016/01/11/powerball-math-1-3-billion-divided-by-300-million-is-actually-4-33/

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 11:33 AM

13. "Did a mass of people really believe it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Most of the postings I saw were people clowning it and saying folks were stupid for believing it.

Maybe I just saw it late after the meme had run its course.
But this feels like someone just posted the picture (probably sarcastically) and people attributed to the general public.

Cold Truth
44862 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 11:42 AM

15. "You are far less cynical than I lol"
In response to Reply # 13

>But this feels like someone just posted the picture (probably
>sarcastically) and people attributed to the general public.

Perhaps the ever-present They/Them/Powers That Be did this as part of their insidious plan to distract us from their devious plot to, uh, I dunno, some trade agreement bullshit that will lead to the one world government or whatever. I dunno. Just pick a Star Wars political plot point and have it be that.

I mean, maybe. Maybe some dude was bored out of his mind and decided to see how many dumb people will spread dumb information. Doubtful, but I suppose it's possible.

Cenario
59181 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 11:45 AM

16. "i had 2 coworkers say it individually."

I didn't realize there was an actual meme. where is it?

Regina Rose
Member since Jul 01st 2008
7349 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 12:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "my friend posted it .."

I replied with "that's not how numbers work"
Her reply was "it would still help alot of people"
:/

Cenario
59181 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 12:54 PM

21. "lolz"
In response to Reply # 20

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4551 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 01:31 PM

24. "GODDAMN"

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 01:36 PM

26. "bless her heart..."

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 02:18 PM

28. "lol"

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 03:24 PM

30. "Mine happened backwards. A couple posted it clowning it, but"

people pounced on them as if they were serious, ignoring anything they wrote along with it that made it obvious they were joking

I'm actually pleasantly surprised i didn't see a serious one, though i haven't checked the people i dropped from showing up in my newsfeed

placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 01:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "It's true tho... América, Tamaulipas (Nuevo Laredo, Mexico). Pop: 255"
In response to Reply # 0

divide 1.6B by 255 and every "Américan" gets 4.3M.

Don't yall know nothin? lol

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 01:32 PM

25. "I saw 25-30 people post it to clown it, but only 2 who posted it as if"
In response to Reply # 0

it was actually true.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 01:38 PM

27. "If they posted it without pointing out the error..."
In response to Reply # 0

...or even questioning the math, then I assume they believe it.

I had probably 5-6 folks post it on my timeline with no comment.

Then maybe another 5 jumped on it and posted another meme showing the math was wrong.

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 02:40 PM

29. "8 (or 15) divided by 3 is hard for some people I guess."
In response to Reply # 0

---

But hell, what do I know?

Lobby General Discussion topic #12956867 Previous topic | Next topic