Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12956011

Subject: "Adult Rappers [documentary]" Previous topic | Next topic
Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Wed Jan-13-16 01:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Adult Rappers [documentary]"
Wed Jan-13-16 02:09 AM by Hitokiri

Anyone see this?
It features a bunch of underground rappers from the 90s through the present talking about what life is like as an independent rapper and aging in the what's perceived as music of/for youth. Some of the people featured are Slug, Don Will, RA the Rugged Man, J-Zone, Esoteric, P.O.S., Masta Ace, Breeze Brewin, Evidence, Jarobi, Murs, Eternia, Blockhead, Despot, Homeboy Sandman, Open Mike Eagle, Luckiam... and others. It's too bad they don't tell your their names until the end. I didn't recognize some of the folks whose music I'm familiar with. But it's a cool little doc that provides an untold perspective.

It's free on vimeo (for 24 hours) if you chose the rent for 99cents option and then put in "free" as like the coupon code.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/adultrappers/135640267

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Glad u gave a synopsis, cuz that was the worst trailer I've ever seen.
Jan 13th 2016
Agreed with Boogie
Jan 13th 2016
I totally forgot about this. Was waiting for it to drop too.
Jan 13th 2016
This was awesome.
Jan 13th 2016
will check it out...that's the homie..
Jan 13th 2016
who? the director?
Jan 14th 2016
speaking of which, Cool C is being executed tomorrow still?
Jan 14th 2016

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14027 posts
Wed Jan-13-16 02:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Glad u gave a synopsis, cuz that was the worst trailer I've ever seen."
In response to Reply # 0

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed Jan-13-16 03:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Agreed with Boogie"
In response to Reply # 0

Why make a trailer that doesn't even inform people of the premise?

In anycase...promo code isn't working for me. Might be cause Im in Canada. I'm just gonna splurge on the $1.30 and check it out cause it's a great idea.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed Jan-13-16 03:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I totally forgot about this. Was waiting for it to drop too."
In response to Reply # 0

Good heads up. I'm copping now.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed Jan-13-16 05:51 AM

4. "This was awesome."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-13-16 05:54 AM by denny

Anyone who is between 18 and 25 and wants to be an aspiring artist should watch this. Don\t matter if it's painter, writer, musician...whatever. I'm gonna try to get the teens to watch this. There's a universal theme here and it's covered with balance and nuance. Reminded me a bit of one of my all-time favorite documentaries 'Anvil'.

J Zone's story was one of my faves. Could've spent more time with him. Kinda works that being rappers...they're also articulate. I can only guess that the subjects aren't captioned because the filmmmaker wanted to surprise us by seeing that they're mid-level, relatively successful rappers? It's a weird choice and I don't think it really works but otherwise a really good doc. I can kinda indirectly relate to a lot of it and can see similar things in so many old friends. One guy I know who's established a mid-level thing with his band and djing said to me 'I'm basically a glorified babysitter at this point'. It's such a different outlook on this stuff when you're pushing 40.

"If I had to go back? Man....I shoulda just dropped the 'keep it real' thing". lol

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Wed Jan-13-16 09:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "will check it out...that's the homie.."
In response to Reply # 0

"Get ready..for your blessing..."

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 11:24 AM

6. "who? the director?"
In response to Reply # 5

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Big Kuntry
Member since May 09th 2010
14866 posts
Thu Jan-14-16 12:14 PM

7. "speaking of which, Cool C is being executed tomorrow still?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6429603/rapper-cool-c-has-been-granted-stay-of-execution

Lobby General Discussion topic #12956011 Previous topic | Next topic