Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12954518

Subject: "lol Sean Penn interviewed El Chapo" Previous topic | Next topic
rdhull
Charter member
33142 posts
Sat Jan-09-16 09:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"lol Sean Penn interviewed El Chapo"

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/el-chapo-speaks-20160109

El Chapo Speaks

A secret visit with the most wanted man in the world

By Sean Penn January 9, 2016

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/el-chapo-speaks-20160109#ixzz3wo4GSbB8
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Disclosure: Some names have had
 to be changed, locations not named, and an understanding was brokered with the subject that this piece would be submitted for the subject’s approval before publication. The subject did not ask for any changes.

"The laws of conscience, which we pretend to be derived from nature, proceed from custom." —Montaigne

It's September 28th, 2015. My head is swimming, labeling TracPhones (burners), one per contact, one per day, destroy, burn, buy, balancing levels of encryption, mirroring through Blackphones, anonymous e-mail addresses, unsent messages accessed in draft form. It's a clandestine horror show for the single most technologically illiterate man left standing. At 55 years old, I've never learned to use a laptop. Do they still make laptops? No fucking idea! It's 4:00 in the afternoon. Another gorgeous fall day in New York City. The streets are abuzz with the lights and sirens of diplomatic movement, heads of state, U.N. officials, Secret Service details, the NYPD. It's the week of the U.N. General Assembly. Pope Francis blazed a trail and left town two days before. I'm sitting in my room at the St. Regis Hotel with my colleague and brother in arms, Espinoza.

SIDEBAR
El Chapo El Chapo Captured After Shootout »
Espinoza and I have traveled many roads together, but none as unpredictable as the one we are now approaching. Espinoza is the owl who flies among falcons. Whether he's standing in the midst of a slum, a jungle or a battlefield, his idiosyncratic elegance, mischievous smile and self-effacing charm have a way of defusing threat. His bald head demands your attention to his twinkling eyes. He's a man fascinated and engaged. We whisper to each other in code. Finally a respite from the cyber technology that's been sizzling my brain and soul. We sit within quietude of fortified walls that are old New York hotel construction, when walls were walls, and telephones were usable without a Ph.D. We quietly make our plans, sensitive to the paradox that also in our hotel is President Enrique Peña Nieto of Mexico. Espinoza and I leave the room to get outside the hotel, breathe in the fall air and walk the five blocks to a Japanese restaurant, where we'll meet up with our colleague El Alto Garcia. As we exit onto 55th Street, the sidewalk is lined with the armored SUVs that will transport the president of Mexico to the General Assembly. Paradoxical indeed, as one among his detail asks if I will take a selfie with him. Flash frame: myself and a six-foot, ear-pieced Mexican security operator.

Flash frame: Why is this a paradox? It's paradoxical because today's Mexico has, in effect, two presidents. And among those two presidents, it is not Peña Nieto who Espinoza and I were planning to see as we'd spoken in whispered code upstairs. It is not he who necessitated weeks of clandestine planning. Instead, it's a man of about my age, though absent any human calculus that may provide us a sense of anchored commonality. At four years old, in '64, I was digging for imaginary treasures, unneeded, in my parents' middleclass American backyard while he was hand-drawing fantasy pesos that, if real, might be the only path for he and his family to dream beyond peasant farming. And while I was surfing the waves of Malibu at age nine, he was already working in the marijuana and poppy fields of the remote mountains of Sinaloa, Mexico. Today, he runs the biggest international drug cartel the world has ever known, exceeding even that of Pablo Escobar. He shops and ships by some estimates more than half of all the cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine and marijuana that come into the United States.

They call him El Chapo. Or "Shorty." Joaquín Archivaldo Guzmán Loera. The same El Chapo Guzman who only two months earlier had humiliated the Peña Nieto government and stunned the world with his extraordinary escape from Altiplano maximum-security prison through an impeccably engineered mile-long tunnel.

This would be the second prison escape of the world's most notorious drug lord, the first being 13 years earlier, from Puente Grande prison, where he was smuggled out under the sheets of a laundry cart. Since he joined the drug trade as a teenager, Chapo swiftly rose through the ranks, building an almost mythic reputation: First, as a cold pragmatist known to deliver a single shot to the head for any mistakes made in a shipment, and later, as he began to establish the Sinaloa cartel, as a Robin Hood-like figure who provided much-needed services in the Sinaloa mountains, funding everything from food and roads to medical relief. By the time of his second escape from federal prison, he had become a figure entrenched in Mexican folklore.

In 1989, El Chapo dug the first subterranean passage beneath the border from Tijuana to San Diego, and pioneered the use of tunnels to transport his products and to evade capture. I will discover that his already accomplished engineers had been flown to Germany last year for three months of extensive additional training necessary to deal with the low-lying water table beneath the prison. A tunnel equipped with a pipe-track-guided motorcycle with an engine modified to function in the minimally oxygenized space, allowing El Chapo to drop through a hole in his cell's shower floor, into its saddle and ride to freedom. It was this president of Mexico who had agreed to see us.

I take no pride in keeping secrets that may be perceived as protecting criminals, nor do I have any gloating arrogance at posing for selfies with unknowing security men. But I'm in my rhythm. Everything I say to everyone must be true. As true as it is compartmentalized. The trust that El Chapo had extended to us was not to be fucked with. This will be the first interview El Chapo had ever granted outside an interrogation room, leaving me no precedent by which to measure the hazards. I'd seen plenty of video and graphic photography of those beheaded, exploded, dismembered or bullet-riddled innocents, activists, courageous journalists and cartel enemies alike. I was highly aware of committed DEA and other law-enforcement officers and soldiers, both Mexican and American, who had lost their lives executing the policies of the War on Drugs. The families decimated, and institutions corrupted.

I took some comfort in a unique aspect of El Chapo's reputation among the heads of drug cartels in Mexico: that, unlike many of his counterparts who engage in gratuitous kidnapping and murder, El Chapo is a businessman first, and only resorts to violence when he deems it advantageous to himself or his business interests. It was on the strength of the Sinaloa cartel's seemingly more calculated strategies (a cartel whose famous face is El Chapo, but also includes the co-leadership of Ismael "El Mayo" Zambada) that Sinaloa had become dominant among Mexico's criminal syndicates, extending far beyond the rural northwestern state, with significant inroads to all principal border areas between the United States and Mexico – Juarez, Mexicali, Tijuana, and reaching as far as Los Cabos.

SIDEBAR
chapo guzman A Timeline of El Chapo's Close Calls and Narrow Escapes »
As an American citizen, I'm drawn to explore what may be inconsistent with the portrayals our government and media brand upon their declared enemies. Not since Osama bin Laden has the pursuit of a fugitive so occupied the public imagination. But unlike bin Laden, who had posed the ludicrous premise that a country's entire population is defined by – and therefore complicit in – its leadership's policies, with the world's most wanted drug lord, are we, the American public, not indeed complicit in what we demonize? We are the consumers, and as such, we are complicit in every murder, and in every corruption of an institution's ability to protect the quality of life for citizens of Mexico and the United States that comes as a result of our insatiable appetite for illicit narcotics.

As much as anything, it's a question of relative morality. What of the tens of thousands of sick and suffering chemically addicted Americans, barbarically imprisoned for the crime of their illness? Locked down in facilities where unspeakable acts of dehumanization and violence are inescapable, and murder a looming threat. Are we saying that what's systemic in our culture, and out of our direct hands and view, shares no moral equivalency to those abominations that may rival narco assassinations in Juarez? Or, is that a distinction for the passive self-righteous?

There is little dispute that the War on Drugs has failed: as many as 27,000 drug-related homicides in Mexico alone in a single year, and opiate addiction on the rise in the U.S. Working in the emergency and development field in Haiti, I have countless times been proposed theoretical solutions to that country's ailments by bureaucratic agencies unfamiliar with the culture and incongruities on the ground. Perhaps in the tunnel vision of our puritanical and prosecutorial culture that has designed the War on Drugs, we have similarly lost sight of practice, and given over our souls to theory. At an American taxpayer cost of $25 billion per year, this war's policies have significantly served to kill our children, drain our economies, overwhelm our cops and courts, pick our pockets, crowd our prisons and punch the clock. Another day's fight is lost. And lost with it, any possible vision of reform, or recognition of the proven benefits in so many other countries achieved through the regulated legalization of recreational drugs.

Now on 50th Street, Espinoza and I enter the Japanese restaurant. El Alto sits alone in a quiet corner, beneath a slow-turning ceiling fan that circulates the scent of raw fish. He's a big man, quiet and graceful, rarely speaking above a whisper. He'd been helpful to me on many previous excursions. He's worldly, well connected and liked. Espinoza, speaking in Spanish, fills him in on our plans and itinerary. El Alto listens intently, squeezing edamame beans one at a time between his teeth. We considered this meeting our point of no return. We were either all in, or we would abandon the journey. We had weighed the risks, but I felt confident and said so. I'd offered myself to experiences beyond my control in numerous countries of war, terror, corruption and disaster. Places where what can go wrong will go wrong, had gone wrong, and yet in the end, had delivered me in one piece with a deepening situational awareness (though not a perfect science) of available cautions within the design in chaos.

It was agreed that I would go to L.A. the next day to coordinate with our principal point of contact to El Chapo. We ordered sake and indulged the kind of operating-room humor that might displace our imperfectly scientific concerns. Outside the restaurant windows, a chanting march of Mexican-Americans flowed by in protest against the Peña Nieto government's asserted violations of human rights, having allowed their country of origin to fall prey to a narco regime.

Kate del Castillo
Kate del Castillo, one of the most famous actors in Mexico, brokered the meeting. Uriel Santana
In January 2012, the Mexican film and television star Kate del Castillo, who famously played a drug lordess in Mexico's popular soap opera La Reina del Sur, used Twitter to express her mistrust of the Mexican government. She stated that in a question of trust between governments and cartels, hers would go to El Chapo. And in that tweet, she expressed a dream, perhaps an encouragement to El Chapo himself: "Mr. Chapo, wouldn't it be cool that you started trafficking with love? With cures for diseases, with food for the homeless children, with alcohol for the retirement homes that don't let the elderly spend the rest of the days doing whatever the fuck they want. Imagine trafficking with corrupt politicians instead of women and children who end up as slaves. Why don't you burn all those whorehouses where women are worth less than a pack of cigarettes. Without offer, there's no demand. Come on, Don! You would be the hero of heroes. Let's traffic with love. You know how to. Life is a business and the only thing that changes is the merchandise. Don't you agree?" While she was ostracized by many, Kate's sentiment is widely shared in Mexico. It can be heard in the narco corrido ballads so popular throughout the country. But her views, unlike those folkloric lionizations, are rather a continuity of her history of brave expression and optimistic dreams for her homeland.

She had been outspoken on politics, sex and religion and is among the courageous independent spirits that democracies are built to protect and cannot exist without.

Her courage is further demonstrated in her willingness to be named in this article. There are both brutal and corrupt forces within the Mexican government who oppose her (and indeed, according to Kate, high-ranking officials have responded to her public statement with private intimidations), and hence, a responsibility of the greater public to shepherd those who make their voices heard.

It perhaps should have come as no surprise that this homegrown icon of entertainment would catch the interest of a singular fan and fugitive from Sinaloa. After reading Kate's statement on Twitter, a lawyer representing El Chapo Guzmán contacted Kate. He said El Señor wanted to send her flowers in gratitude. She nervously offered her address, but with the gypsy movements of an actress, the flowers did not find her.

Two years later, in February 2014, a detachment of Mexican marines captured El Chapo in a Mazatlán hotel following a 13-year manhunt. The images of that arrest were flashed across the world's televisions. While he was incarcerated at Altiplano prison, El Chapo's attorneys were flooded with overtures from Hollywood studios. With his dramatic capture, and, perhaps, the illusion of safe dealings now that El Chapo was locked up, the gringos were scrambling to tell his story. The seed was planted, and El Chapo, awakened to the prospect, made plans of his own. He was interested in seeing the story of his life told on film, but would entrust its telling only to Kate. The same lawyer again tracked her down, this time through the Mexican equivalent of the Screen Actors Guild, and the imprisoned drug lord and the actress began to correspond in handwritten letters and BBM messages.

It was at a social event in Los Angeles when Kate met Espinoza. She learned he was well connected to financial sources, including those that funded film projects, and she proposed a partnership to make a film about El Chapo. This was when Espinoza included our mutual colleague and friend El Alto. I learned of their intention to make the film, but I did not know Kate or have any involvement with the project. The three of them met with El Chapo's lawyer to explore their approach, but it was ultimately determined that direct access to El Chapo would still be too restricted for their authorized pursuit to rise above competitive "Chapo" projects that Hollywood would pursue with or without his participation.

Then came July 2015. El Chapo's prison break. The world, and particularly Mexico and the United States, was up in arms. How could this happen?! The DEA and the Justice Department were furious. The fact that Mexican Interior Secretary Miguel Ángel Osorio Chong had refused El Chapo's extradition to the United States, then allowed his escape, positioned Chong and the Peña Nieto administration as global pariahs.

I followed the news of El Chapo's escape and reached out to Espinoza. We met in the courtyard of a boutique hotel in Paris in late August. He told me about Kate and that she had been intermittently receiving contact from Chapo even after the escape. It was then that I posed the idea of a magazine story. Espinoza's smile of mischief arose, indicating he would arrange for me to meet Kate back in Los Angeles. At a Santa Monica restaurant, I made my case, and Kate agreed to make the bridge, sending our names for vetting across the border. When word came back a week or so later that Chapo had indeed agreed to meet with us, I called Jann Wenner at Rolling Stone. Myself, Espinoza and El Alto were given the assignment. And with a letter from Jann officiating it, we would join Kate, who was our ticket to El Chapo's trust, then put ourselves in the hands of representatives of the Sinaloa cartel to coordinate our journey. It had been a month in the planning by the time Espinoza and I were breathing the New York air that late-September day on 55th Street.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/el-chapo-speaks-20160109#ixzz3wo4kRM9M
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
What an insufferable prick Sean Penn is...
Jan 09th 2016
sooo did he then turn around and provide info?
Jan 09th 2016
another swipe
Jan 10th 2016
dude sounding like Peterman from Seinfeld
Jan 11th 2016
      right! That's EXACTLY what it is
Jan 11th 2016
White liberal elitism at it's worst
Jan 09th 2016
?
Jan 10th 2016
People on here just like chaining together buzzwords
Jan 10th 2016
      Ya that's the feeling i'm getting here.
Jan 10th 2016
      The thought that being a famous actor doing something daring and
Jan 11th 2016
           ^ this ... and RIP to all the real Mexican journalists
Jan 11th 2016
                oh for christ's sake.
Jan 11th 2016
                     no. you can't. please stay in your lane
Jan 12th 2016
                     Please explain why how it's different.
Jan 12th 2016
                     Lol slow down there, sport
Jan 12th 2016
      or yall cld just go and read journalists who have covered this
Jan 11th 2016
           Yes. We can do both.
Jan 11th 2016
AKA The Vice Effect
Jan 11th 2016
Wow. People really hate Sean Penn lol.
Jan 10th 2016
LOL. Hardly.
Jan 10th 2016
I've been searching around about him
Jan 10th 2016
Its because he is an asshole in real life...
Jan 10th 2016
My admittedly petty reason: Jude Law
Jan 10th 2016
yes to all of this
Jan 10th 2016
Dude went full mightymouse on a small piece of cheese...lol!
Jan 11th 2016
Sean Penn's Horrifying History of Alleged Abuse. (link)
Jan 11th 2016
Sean Penn is a violent, abusive, terrible human being. (link)
Jan 11th 2016
Is Madonna still in love w/Sean Penn? Who beat her w/a baseball bat? (li...
Jan 11th 2016
      I *want* to say it's things like this
Jan 11th 2016
           for me it's all of that. LOL
Jan 11th 2016
           LOL
Jan 12th 2016
White Boy Privledge
Jan 10th 2016
He's about to end up like Tortuga on Breaking Bad
Jan 11th 2016
Mexico said they located El Chapo in part due to Penn's first
Jan 11th 2016
this whole thing is intresting to me
Jan 11th 2016
      he disgusts right wingers but they also hate mexico
Jan 11th 2016
           use him to get to el chapo,
Jan 12th 2016
Maybe Penn will go into hiding and we won't have to
Jan 11th 2016
i'm still a fan of his acting
Jan 12th 2016

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Sat Jan-09-16 10:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "What an insufferable prick Sean Penn is..."
In response to Reply # 0

What a long winded fuck monkey.

There's nothing in this of substance, unless you click the link....and by the time I'd read through all that shit, it made me not even wanna know anymore.

Thanks Sean Penn

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sat Jan-09-16 10:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "sooo did he then turn around and provide info?"
In response to Reply # 1

wonder what the connection is here and if they went after producers and directors in mexico or anyone in the US

http://nypost.com/2016/01/09/el-chapo-was-caught-because-he-was-trying-to-make-a-biopic/

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 12:29 AM

4. "another swipe"
In response to Reply # 2

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/01/09/world/americas/ap-lt-mexico-drug-lord.html?_r=0

MEXICO CITY — Recaptured drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman's secret interview with U.S. actor Sean Penn helped authorities locate his whereabouts, a Mexican law enforcement official said late Saturday.

The world's most wanted drug trafficker was arrested early Friday after a shootout in Los Mochis in his home state of Culiacan, six months after he embarrassed the government of President Enrique Pena Nieto by escaping for Mexico's most-secure prison. Five people were killed during the operation that led to the recapture of Guzman, who has twice escaped from prison.

Mexico Attorney General Arely Gomez had said on Friday that Guzman's contact with actors and producers for a possible biopic helped give law enforcement a new lead on tracking and capturing the world's most notorious drug kingpin.

On Saturday, a Mexican official said it was the Penn interview that led authorities to Guzman in a rural part of Durango state in October. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not allowed to comment. Authorities aborted their raid at the time because he was with two women and child. But they were able to track him to Los Mochis, Sinaloa, where he was captured.

The interview between Guzman and Penn, purportedly held in late 2015 in a hideout in Mexico, appeared late Saturday on the website of Rolling Stone magazine.

In it, the actor describes the complicated security measures he took to meet the drug lord. The men discuss topics ranging from drug trafficking to the Middle East.

When asked about whether he is responsible for the high level of drug addiction in the world, Guzman purportedly responds: "No, that is false, because the day I don't exist, it's not going to decrease in any way at all. Drug trafficking? That's false."

The magazine says the meeting was brokered by Mexican actress Kate del Castillo. Its website has a two-minute video it says is the first ever exclusive interview with Guzman. It is in Spanish and in it Guzman sits in front of a chain link face and speaks to a camera. He is wearing a print blue shirt and dark baseball cap, but his face is clearly visible. Accompanying the article is a picture of Penn shaking hands with Guzman.

Asked about who is to blame for drug trafficking, Guzman is quoted as saying: "If there was no consumption, there would be no sales. It is true that consumption, day after day, becomes bigger and bigger. So it sells and sells."

Earlier Saturday, a federal law enforcement official said that Mexico is willing to extradite Guzman to the United States, a sharp reversal from the official position after his last capture in 2014.

"Mexico is ready. There are plans to cooperate with the U.S.," said the Mexican official, who spoke on condition anonymity because he wasn't authorized to comment.

But he cautioned that there could be a lengthy wait before U.S. prosecutors can get their hands on Guzman, the most-wanted trafficker who was recaptured Friday after six months on the run: "You have to go through the judicial process, and the defense has its elements too."

Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

Top officials in the party of President Enrique Pena Nieto also floated the idea of extradition, which they had flatly ruled out before Guzman's embarrassing escape from Mexico's top maximum security prison on July 11 — his second from a Mexican prison.

"He has a lot of outstanding debts to pay in Mexico, but if it's necessary, he can pay them in other places," said Manlio Fabio Beltrones, president of Pena Nieto's Institutional Revolutionary Party.

But even if Mexican officials agree, Guzman's attorney Juan Pablo Badillo told the Milenio newspaper that the defense already has filed six motions to challenge extradition requests.

"They can challenge the judge, challenge the probable cause, challenge the procedure," said Juan Masini, former U.S. Department of Justice attache at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico. "That's why it can take a long time. They won't challenge everything at once ... they can drip, drip, milk it that way."

Guzman was apprehended after a shootout between gunmen and Mexican marines at a home in Los Mochis, a seaside city in Guzman's home state of Sinaloa.

The operation resulted from six months of investigation by Mexican forces, said Gomez.

Following his capture, the head of the powerful Sinaloa Cartel was brought to Mexico City's airport, frog-marched to a helicopter before news media, and flown back to the same prison he'd fled.

There were immediately calls for his quick extradition, just as there were after the February 2014 capture of Guzman, who faces drug-trafficking charges in several U.S. states. At the time, Mexico's government insisted it could handle the man who had already broken out of one maximum-security prison, saying he must pay his debt to Mexican society first.

Then-Attorney General Jesus Murillo Karam said the extradition would happen only after he finished his sentence in Mexico in "300 or 400 years."

Then Guzman escaped on July 11 under the noses of guards and prison officials at Mexico's most secure lock-up, slipping out an elaborate tunnel that showed the depth of the country's corruption while thoroughly embarrassing Pena Nieto's administration.

He also escaped a different maximum-security facility in 2001 while serving a 20-year sentence. Lore says he hid in a laundry cart, though many dispute that version. He spent 13 years on the lam.

Gomez said that one of Guzman's key tunnel builders led officials to the neighborhood in Los Mochis, where authorities had been watching for a month. The team noticed a lot of activity at the house Wednesday and the arrival of a car early Thursday morning. Authorities were able to determine that Guzman was inside the house, she said.

The marines were met with gunfire as they closed in.

Gomez said Guzman and his security chief, "El Cholo" Ivan Gastelum, were able to flee via storm drains and escape through a manhole cover to the street, where they commandeered getaway cars. Marines climbed into the drains in pursuit. They closed in on the two men based on reports of stolen vehicles and they were arrested on the highway.

Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

What happens now is crucial for Guzman, whose cartel smuggles multi-ton shipments of cocaine and marijuana as well as manufacturing and transporting methamphetamines and heroin, mostly to the U.S.

According to a statement from the Mexican Attorney General's office, the U.S. filed extradition requests June 25, while Guzman was in custody, and another Sep. 3, after he escaped. The Mexican government determined they were valid within the extradition treaty and sent them to a panel of federal judges, who gave orders for detention on July 29 and Sept. 8, after Guzman had escaped.

Those orders were not for extradition but just for Guzman to begin the extradition hearing process. Now that he is recapture, Mexico has to start processing the extradition requests anew, according to the law.

The quickest he could be extradited would be six months, said a federal official who spoke on condition of anonymity, but it's not likely because lawyers file appeals. He said that they are usually turned down, but each one means a judge has to schedule a hearing.

"That can take weeks or months, and that delays the extradition," he said. "We've had cases that take six years."

The attorney general's office noted that Guzman's lawyers have already filed various appeals, some overruled and some still pending.

"He shouldn't be extradited to the United States or any other foreign country," Guzman's lawyer, Badillo, said Saturday. "Mexico has laws grounded in the constitution. Our country must respect national sovereignty, the sovereignty of its institutions to impart justice."

Mynoriti
Charter member
38823 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 03:32 PM

15. "dude sounding like Peterman from Seinfeld"
In response to Reply # 1

>What a long winded fuck monkey.
>
>There's nothing in this of substance, unless you click the
>link....and by the time I'd read through all that shit, it
>made me not even wanna know anymore.
>
>Thanks Sean Penn

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 11:42 PM

33. "right! That's EXACTLY what it is"
In response to Reply # 15

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32097 posts
Sat Jan-09-16 10:31 PM

3. "White liberal elitism at it's worst "
In response to Reply # 0

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 07:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "?"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm confused. What are we complaining about here? And how is it elitist? No snark

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 09:13 PM

12. "People on here just like chaining together buzzwords"
In response to Reply # 5

>I'm confused. What are we complaining about here? And how
>is it elitist? No snark

Gotdamn patriarchal monolitic problematic rapists

denny
11281 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 09:50 PM

13. "Ya that's the feeling i'm getting here."
In response to Reply # 12
Sun Jan-10-16 09:59 PM by denny

He interviewed a drug dealer and suggested that America is complicit in cartel violence because they provide a market for their product. Where's the white elitism in that?

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42781 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 04:06 PM

25. "The thought that being a famous actor doing something daring and "
In response to Reply # 13

adventurous for the sake of 'journalism' (when really it's about the prestige of meeting and hanging out with a notorious narco and having it published) to enlighten us on some obvious ass shit that most people knew already is somehow a higher mission that he has taken upon himself

I like how CNN broke it down:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/11/opinions/reyes-sean-penn-el-chapo-interview/

Amritsar
32097 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 08:14 PM

27. " ^ this ... and RIP to all the real Mexican journalists"
In response to Reply # 25

who lost their lives or are in hiding for covering the Sinaloa narco terrorism wave

fuck sean penn

denny
11281 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 10:31 PM

31. "oh for christ's sake."
In response to Reply # 27
Mon Jan-11-16 10:32 PM by denny

This is ridiculous. You could say the same thing about anyone who tries to interview Vladimir Putin. Or any other notorious figure. That Sean Penn is somehow complicit in the murder of other journalists is absurd.....just like saying Jane Fonda was responsible for dead american soldiers in Vietnam.

think about the slippery slope of what you're saying. We shouldn't interview prisoners in jail out of respect for their victims?

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Tue Jan-12-16 12:18 AM

34. "no. you can't. please stay in your lane"
In response to Reply # 31

denny
11281 posts
Tue Jan-12-16 12:28 AM

37. "Please explain why how it's different."
In response to Reply # 34
Tue Jan-12-16 12:32 AM by denny

I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of my lane. I don't care either. Do you honestly think I spend any time thinking on what AstralBlack considers appropriate for me to comment on? lol

How is this different from jane Fonda? Or someone wanting to interview Putin?

Amritsar
32097 posts
Tue Jan-12-16 10:12 AM

39. "Lol slow down there, sport"
In response to Reply # 31

>This is ridiculous. You could say the same thing about
>anyone who tries to interview Vladimir Putin. Or any other
>notorious figure. That Sean Penn is somehow complicit in the
>murder of other journalists is absurd.....just like saying
>Jane Fonda was responsible for dead american soldiers in
>Vietnam.

That's not what I'm saying

Like at all.

I'm saying it's disrespectful to the real journalists in Mexico who been covering this. And for their coverage have been threatened or worse. Sean penn wants to get his white liberal voyeurism on we gonna see it. And call it what it is.

I'm sure people from a similar background or worldview as Penn find this a good read (like you). Go on and cook...but we see you

Entiendes?

Amritsar
32097 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 08:16 PM

28. "or yall cld just go and read journalists who have covered this"
In response to Reply # 12

for years.

In Mexico. Some even got murked for doing it

or just go ahead and read this sean penn bullshit

denny
11281 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 10:34 PM

32. "Yes. We can do both."
In response to Reply # 28

Why is this an either/or?

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42781 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 03:57 PM

23. "AKA The Vice Effect"
In response to Reply # 3

denny
11281 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 09:00 AM

6. "Wow. People really hate Sean Penn lol."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jan-10-16 09:17 AM by denny

I don't know much about him. On the surface...the hate seems incredibly irrational though. What did he do (or did) that was so wrong?

So I wiki'd his activist life. I'm getting the sense that people are just DESPERATE to hate this guy.

That quote he gave about the UK and the Falklands was hilarious:

"My oh my, aren't people sensitive to the word 'colonialism', particularly those who implement colonialism."

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 09:48 AM

7. "LOL. Hardly. "
In response to Reply # 6

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

denny
11281 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 10:08 AM

8. "I've been searching around about him"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun Jan-10-16 10:10 AM by denny

All the results I'm getting are extremely negative characterizations. I guess we could liken it to the hate that Bono gets? Seems more intense with Sean though. If it's not conservatives calling him a leftist elite/communist/anti-american than it's the leftists calling him sexist, racist, abusive, privileged and self-promoting. He seems to be getting it from all angles by my perception lol.

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 12:44 PM

9. "Its because he is an asshole in real life..."
In response to Reply # 6

One of the rudest celebrities out there...

Mynoriti
Charter member
38823 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 02:37 PM

10. "My admittedly petty reason: Jude Law"
In response to Reply # 6

2005 oscars opening monologue, Chris Rock makes a joke about "Who the hell is Jude law, and why is he in every movie this year?"

Two plus hours later, here comes Sean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWGNsP26ttQ&feature=youtu.be

I don't really hate him though. He's a great actor, I respect a lot of what he does, but he also consistently comes off as someone who resides up his own ass, and his vibe of miserable self-importance makes it easy to see why people hate him. I can see why conservatives try to hold him up as the example of absurd liberal hollywood. He'll do some amazing humanitarian work, but at the same time, he'll say or do some pompous Sean Penn shit, and everyone will just focus on that.

I mean, if i remember right, he wrote an angry letter to the South Park guys after Team America, complaining that his puppet was misquoted. or something.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 04:34 PM

11. "yes to all of this"
In response to Reply # 10

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 09:51 PM

29. "Dude went full mightymouse on a small piece of cheese...lol!"
In response to Reply # 10

Ol'butthurt ridin-a-pinecone-dildo ass ninja!

Woulda been funny if Rock came back up and
clowned that fool.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 03:34 PM

16. "Sean Penn's Horrifying History of Alleged Abuse. (link)"
In response to Reply # 6

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/23/twitter-turns-on-abuser-sean-penn-following-his-oscars-green-card-joke.html

fuck you.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 03:35 PM

17. "Sean Penn is a violent, abusive, terrible human being. (link)"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Jan-11-16 03:35 PM by SoWhat

http://www.pajiba.com/celebrities_are_better_than_you/sean-penn-is-a-violent-abusive-terrible-human-being.php

fuck you.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 03:35 PM

18. "Is Madonna still in love w/Sean Penn? Who beat her w/a baseball bat? (li..."
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Jan-11-16 03:36 PM by SoWhat

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1157780/Is-Madonna-love-Sean-Penn-man-beat-baseball-bat.html

fuck you.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38823 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 03:55 PM

22. "I *want* to say it's things like this"
In response to Reply # 18

but it's really the jude law thing

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 04:06 PM

24. "for me it's all of that. LOL"
In response to Reply # 22

fuck you.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Tue Jan-12-16 12:22 AM

36. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 22

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Jan-10-16 10:25 PM

14. "White Boy Privledge"
In response to Reply # 0

what a way to use your passport? Madonna trying to help this fool run for office or soemthing

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 03:38 PM

19. "He's about to end up like Tortuga on Breaking Bad"
In response to Reply # 0

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/breakingbad/images/6/6c/2x07_-_Negro_y_azul_5.png/revision/latest?cb=20150308150408&path-prefix=es

They're going to think he snitched

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 03:45 PM

20. "Mexico said they located El Chapo in part due to Penn's first"
In response to Reply # 19

meeting w/him.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/01/10/el-chapo-sean-penn-interview-joaquin-guzman-mexico/78587470/

MEXICO CITY — The hard work of Mexican law enforcement, the lure of Hollywood glitz and the fame of iconic actor Sean Penn helped drive the triumphant end to a six-month manhunt for the notorious Mexican drug lord dubbed "El Chapo," Mexican officials said.

Now the lawyers take over, kicking off the legally arduous effort to extradite Joaquin Guzmán to the United States, where he faces trafficking charges dating as far back as 2009 and a federal murder indictment from 2014.

On Sunday, authorities notified Guzman that he is wanted in the USA, beginning extradition proceedings.

The first break in the manhunt came when Guzmán sought out producers and actors for a biographical film about his life, Mexico Attorney General Arely Gomez said. It actually was Guzmán’s contacts with Penn that led authorities to a Guzmán hiding place in October, Reuters and other media outlets reported. Guzmán fled but ultimately was nabbed Friday in Los Mochis, a Mexican coastal city of 250,000 in Guzmán's home state of Sinaloa.

Rolling Stone magazine published an article late Saturday, written by Penn, in which the Academy Award-winning actor tells of flying to Mexico with Mexican actress Kate del Castillo to meet with Guzmán.

Penn lauds Guzmán in the story, calling him, “Robin Hood,” even though El Chapo’s home town of Badiraguato in the rugged Sierra Madre Occidental is among the most marginalized in Mexico, according to government statistics.

fuck you.

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 03:47 PM

21. "this whole thing is intresting to me"
In response to Reply # 19

on one hand, penn could be screwed here because the mexican government and the sinaloans want his ass

on the other, i find it hard to believe he was able to do this without the US and MEX goverment being aware and possibly facilitating it and any blustering by the mexican government is a cover

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4382 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 04:35 PM

26. "he disgusts right wingers but they also hate mexico"
In response to Reply # 21

whats the solution here

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Tue Jan-12-16 08:11 AM

38. "use him to get to el chapo, "
In response to Reply # 26

then let the sinaloans "get" to him lol

Castro
Charter member
50753 posts
Mon Jan-11-16 10:21 PM

30. "Maybe Penn will go into hiding and we won't have to "
In response to Reply # 0

hear or see him again.

------------------
One Hundred.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38823 posts
Tue Jan-12-16 12:19 AM

35. "i'm still a fan of his acting"
In response to Reply # 30

even though The Gunman wa awful

Lobby General Discussion topic #12954518 Previous topic | Next topic