Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12935032

Subject: "My Life After 44 Years In Prison" Previous topic | Next topic
Mr Teeth
Member since Jun 09th 2009
3642 posts
Wed Nov-25-15 03:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"My Life After 44 Years In Prison"

"Otis Johnson went to jail at the age of 25. When he got out at 69, he rejoined a world that was starkly different from the one he remembered. This is his story."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrH6UMYAVsk

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i had a client who was released after a 30 yr bid.
Nov 25th 2015
do u feel like ppl should be compensated when they are wrongly
Nov 25th 2015
      No.
Nov 25th 2015
           do u mind expounding on having that POV? seems alil harsh.
Nov 25th 2015
                i cant wait to hear this one
Nov 26th 2015
                courts would be clogged
Nov 26th 2015
                     SMDH
Nov 27th 2015
                     yeah, why clog the courts to right wrongs when they can be used to
Nov 27th 2015
                          i thought there are civil trials going on right now
Nov 29th 2015
                          because who are you really suing?
Nov 30th 2015
                               yup.
Nov 30th 2015
                               You're suing a knowingly corrupt entity which still engages in corruptio...
Nov 30th 2015
                                    It doesn't work that way.
Nov 30th 2015
                                         that same system would be responsible I'd imagine.
Nov 30th 2015
                                              Who is cutting the check to the plaintiff?
Nov 30th 2015
                                                   All agencies involved in the wrongful imprisonment
Nov 30th 2015
                                                        but what if no employee of any of those agencies did anything 'wrong'
Nov 30th 2015
                                                             'someone' has done wrong when an innocent person goes to jail
Nov 30th 2015
                                                                  the jury put him behind bars.
Nov 30th 2015
                                                                       the jury is selected by the lawyers so the lawyers office is responsible...
Nov 30th 2015
                                                                            both sides are selecting the jury.
Nov 30th 2015
                                                                                 Then both sides foot the bill. They fucked up. System is fucked up.
Nov 30th 2015
                                                                                      actually they dont'
Nov 30th 2015
                                                                                      no one gets away with anything.
Nov 30th 2015
                                                                                      oh i thought we were talking about suing.
Nov 30th 2015
                                                                                      It can be both. You're right -- they don't 'have to' pay
Nov 30th 2015
                     what about those cleared by say DNA evidence? that seems to be
Nov 29th 2015
                     If the convict can prove their conviction resulted from malfeasance/ bad...
Nov 30th 2015
                     what about people who put themselves in bad situations?
Nov 30th 2015
                          i think if you were wrongly convicted for a crime and falsely
Nov 30th 2015
                     agree 100%
Nov 30th 2015
Shit I can't even imagine.
Nov 25th 2015
i haven't been alive for 44 years jeezus
Nov 25th 2015
RE: My Life After 44 Years In Prison
Nov 26th 2015
imagine you went in back in the 70's like this cat.
Nov 27th 2015
      i mean, his mind was blown by.....gatorade
Nov 27th 2015
           hmm... was he in Alcatraz?
Nov 27th 2015
Still got the O.G pimp walk though.
Nov 27th 2015
RE: My Life After 44 Years In Prison
Nov 27th 2015
Come out like "Oh, shit! Y'all got Star Trek tricorders now!"
Nov 27th 2015
I hate that jails dont introduce these things
Nov 27th 2015
they watch movies and regular tv
Nov 27th 2015
realistically there are a lot of 69 yr olds that haven't been locked up....
Nov 30th 2015
give a 65 year old an ipad and watch how angry they get
Nov 30th 2015
Jails in America don't exist to improve people's lives
Nov 30th 2015
did he never speak to any other inmates?
Nov 30th 2015
He was prolly one of those skeptical, FOH-ass niggas...
Nov 30th 2015
they separate inmates decades bruh
Nov 30th 2015
      ha this would actually be funny. have a whole wing of the jail
Nov 30th 2015

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Nov-25-15 04:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i had a client who was released after a 30 yr bid."
In response to Reply # 0

my iPhone blew her mind. she had a flip phone and was barely able to understand how to use it. she had heard about text messages but didn't really get it. i compared it to a telegram and she understood it. she could read messages but didn't know how to respond.

then she had a check she wanted to cash and so we walked out of my office and i used my phone to find a bank nearby. she was STUNNED. she had no context for that. she almost cried but held it together.

fuck you.

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10142 posts
Wed Nov-25-15 04:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "do u feel like ppl should be compensated when they are wrongly"
In response to Reply # 1

imprisoned for super long bids? it astonishes me to hear about the ones who arent eligible for whatever reason

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Nov-25-15 05:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "No."
In response to Reply # 2

Not unless they can prove they were convicted/imprisoned due to some sort of bad faith/misconduct on the part of the prosecutor, judge, police or other government actor. That's already available, btw. I have worked on those cases.

fuck you.

mikediggz
10142 posts
Wed Nov-25-15 06:18 PM

6. "do u mind expounding on having that POV? seems alil harsh."
In response to Reply # 3

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79574 posts
Thu Nov-26-15 08:05 AM

7. "i cant wait to hear this one"
In response to Reply # 6

nigga handing out shrugs after a 30 year bid when the man was innocent the whole time?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Nov-26-15 11:41 PM

9. "courts would be clogged"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu Nov-26-15 11:46 PM by SoWhat

if every convict who feels they were 'wrongly' convicted bc they're actually innocent was able to sue for money damages seeking compensation for the time of their incarceration. That's one reason the law limits recovery to those who can prove their conviction and incarceration resulted from malfeasance on the part of a government actor. Also, how would these folks prove their case? They'd have to prove actual innocence, I assume. Keep in mind criminal trials don't result in 'innocence' verdicts. 'Not guilty' doesn't mean innocent - it means the fact-finder decided the prosecution didn't prove its case or the defense proved some justification that meant the defendant was not guilty of the charge the prosecutor brought. Whether the defendant is actually innocent is kinda not relevant. Which feels odd, I'm sure. It was odd to me b4 I had more experience on this side of the issue.

I think instead of offering compensation to innocent convicts, the system should actually rehabilitate inmates so when they leave prison they're ready to contribute to society and their communities. Also the 8th amendment protection against cruel punishment should be put into practice more effectively. Bc paying out every innocent convict doesn't seem feasible to me. But if it can be done I wouldn't be against it.

fuck you.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Nov-27-15 11:37 AM

15. "SMDH"
In response to Reply # 9

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Fri Nov-27-15 02:21 PM

16. "yeah, why clog the courts to right wrongs when they can be used to "
In response to Reply # 15

convict more innocent people... lol.

like, how the hell is it bad to go back to court when wrongly convicted and try to get paid for all that time you could have been FREE to work and spend time with family.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sun Nov-29-15 12:35 AM

21. "i thought there are civil trials going on right now"
In response to Reply # 16

related to wrongful convictions?

i honestly thought this was already happening

KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70132 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 12:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
27. "because who are you really suing?"
In response to Reply # 16

A prosecutor's job is to look at the evidence and try the person accused of the crime.

If evidence suggests John may have done the crime (but he didn't), and the prosecutor presents his case against John to a judge and jury, and the jury convicts John... who is John gonna sue when he gets out of jail? The prosecutor for doing his job? The jury for voting guilty?

Like SoWhat said, the only time they have a case is when the prosecutor/police/whoever KNOWS the person is innocent and deliberately suppresses evidence to get a conviction. THEN, the state is responsible, because they employed someone who deliberately rigged the system to put an innocent man in jail.

You can't sue just because the jury got it wrong.

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 02:15 PM

32. "yup."
In response to Reply # 27

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 02:34 PM

34. "You're suing a knowingly corrupt entity which still engages in corruptio..."
In response to Reply # 27

The court system, the state government, industrial prison complex, police departments, etc. They are all worthy of lawsuits simply for the fact that they allow strong amounts of bias and other types of rigging to be employed in the process of sending people to jail e.g. the Central Park Jogger case.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 02:40 PM

36. "It doesn't work that way."
In response to Reply # 34
Mon Nov-30-15 02:44 PM by SoWhat

A plaintiff has to sue individual persons who engaged in misconduct that resulted in their conviction and incarceration and the plaintiff can include a government agency that employed the bad actor(s). A plaintiff can't sue 'the system'. Bc who is going to be responsible for paying a judgment levied against 'the system'?

Also, the CP5 were able to file suit against NYC (for bad acts of local police, I assume) and NY State (for bad acts of prosecutors). The city settled and the suit against the state is ongoing.

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 02:46 PM

37. "that same system would be responsible I'd imagine. "
In response to Reply # 36

to just be like "sucks for you" is beyond horrendous. These systems weren't put in place to take years away from productive people and if they were then that needs to be made obvious.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 02:49 PM

38. "Who is cutting the check to the plaintiff?"
In response to Reply # 37

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 03:00 PM

39. "All agencies involved in the wrongful imprisonment"
In response to Reply # 38

The courts (or wherever their budget comes from), prosecutor's office (or wherever their budget comes from), the local state government where the case was tried, and the police if it can be proven protocol was violated.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 03:04 PM

40. "but what if no employee of any of those agencies did anything 'wrong' "
In response to Reply # 39

that resulted in the conviction?

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 03:59 PM

41. "'someone' has done wrong when an innocent person goes to jail "
In response to Reply # 40

so all parties that are involved in the wrongful sentencing are accountable. Putting people behind bars (one of the most fucked up places to spend any time) for large amounts of their life is not something to simply wash one's hands of -- that in and of itself is criminal and if people are simply "doing their jobs" and ruining peoples lives as a result then their employers are responsible.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 04:00 PM

42. "the jury put him behind bars."
In response to Reply # 41
Mon Nov-30-15 04:02 PM by Cenario

all the gov't does is present the evidence. Assuming they don't do any other shenanigans the jury is deciding on guilt based on the evidence presented

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 04:10 PM

43. "the jury is selected by the lawyers so the lawyers office is responsible..."
In response to Reply # 42

Jury selection has a long history of being rigged. The CJS needs to simply own up to what it is.

Cenario
59176 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 04:22 PM

44. "both sides are selecting the jury."
In response to Reply # 43

just like both sides are presenting evidence.

Could the whole system use an overhaul? I'm not arguing against that.

Is there someone to sue when everyone did their job in good faith?

No.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 04:24 PM

45. "Then both sides foot the bill. They fucked up. System is fucked up."
In response to Reply # 44

They gotta pay for it one way or the other.

Cenario
59176 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 04:32 PM

46. "actually they dont'"
In response to Reply # 45

>They gotta pay for it one way or the other.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 04:36 PM

47. "no one gets away with anything. "
In response to Reply # 46
Mon Nov-30-15 04:37 PM by Atillah Moor

there is a much higher court.

Cenario
59176 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 04:59 PM

48. "oh i thought we were talking about suing."
In response to Reply # 47

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 06:01 PM

49. "It can be both. You're right -- they don't 'have to' pay"
In response to Reply # 48

and at the same time they will one day 'have to pay' i.e. account for their actions.

mikediggz
10142 posts
Sun Nov-29-15 12:29 AM

20. "what about those cleared by say DNA evidence? that seems to be"
In response to Reply # 9

a scenario that ive seen a few times in the past few years...nigga gets cleared by way of dna evidence after doing 20-40 years as a RAPIST in jail (second most reviled only to a child molester)...some have been able to get some compensation, others not...i dont see how someone isnt due SOME type of comeuppance after giving up the greater part of their lives on a mistake...just doesnt seem right. but i wanted your opinion because i know lawyers being on the other side of the law see things differently sometimes.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 08:49 AM

22. "If the convict can prove their conviction resulted from malfeasance/ bad..."
In response to Reply # 20
Mon Nov-30-15 08:49 AM by SoWhat

on the part of a government actor then they can be awarded money. They don't get paid if the convict merely discovers exculpatory evidence (like dna) that was previously unavailable to the prosecution.

fuck you.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 11:10 AM

25. "what about people who put themselves in bad situations?"
In response to Reply # 20

yeah you were 'wrongly convicted', but maybe yo ass shouldn't have been 'in the trap' to begin with? You think people deserve compensation for that?

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

mikediggz
10142 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 02:07 PM

31. "i think if you were wrongly convicted for a crime and falsely"
In response to Reply # 25

imprisoned then yeah you should be. and im not picking scenarios out of the sky either btw. that dna situation has popped up several times in the last several years.

Cenario
59176 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 01:57 PM

30. "agree 100%"
In response to Reply # 9

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Wed Nov-25-15 05:37 PM

4. "Shit I can't even imagine."
In response to Reply # 0

Technological and condiment advances aside, it's gotta be really tough to readjust to normal society after being in jail for that long.

I'd be really interested just to hear more of his perspective on tech and the internet as someone who has no experience with it at all getting thrown into todays world. Many older people don't really grasp it well even though they've been exposed to it gradually with everyone else. I can see this guy just trying to live the rest of his life avoiding it altogether.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Wed Nov-25-15 06:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "i haven't been alive for 44 years jeezus"
In response to Reply # 0

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Thu Nov-26-15 10:14 AM

8. "RE: My Life After 44 Years In Prison"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought about this the other day 16 years ago touch screens, wifi, tablets, streaming music..most of these are things people were barely hearing about at that time...

now imagine you been away since the early 90's when people were still wearing cross colours and karl kani....

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Fri Nov-27-15 12:01 AM

10. "imagine you went in back in the 70's like this cat."
In response to Reply # 8

>now imagine you been away since the early 90's when people
>were still wearing cross colours and karl kani....

I think of life back in the 70's and compare it to now and I'm surprised anyone that went in back then and is just getting out now is even able to function in society at all.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Fri Nov-27-15 12:29 AM

11. "i mean, his mind was blown by.....gatorade"
In response to Reply # 10

I get the feeling that he don't know what he don't know...lol

Like, if the pretty colors of Gatorade are some fancy shit to him, he prolly don't have online access where he could prolly find his missing family in seconds...THAT would really blow his mind

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Fri Nov-27-15 02:42 PM

17. "hmm... was he in Alcatraz? "
In response to Reply # 11

maybe I have been jaded by tv shows but I thought most jails had ways of getting cell phones and other contraband.

I thought they had little storages too... is the stuff the sell straight up old school generic shit?

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Fri Nov-27-15 03:10 AM

12. "Still got the O.G pimp walk though."
In response to Reply # 0

kaytomah
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
891 posts
Fri Nov-27-15 10:23 AM

13. "RE: My Life After 44 Years In Prison"
In response to Reply # 0

The sad reality is prosecutors and cops who intentionally send people to jail but never face any jail time is criminal.

I have no jurisprudence background but I think the assumption that "legal" is right is morally wrong.

How does someone find a way to prove their innocence after decades without any funds? Tough!!!

Everyone is crying out for peace, yes
None is crying out for justice
Everyone is crying out for peace, yes
None is crying out for justice

-P. Tosh

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13571 posts
Fri Nov-27-15 10:50 AM

14. "Come out like "Oh, shit! Y'all got Star Trek tricorders now!""
In response to Reply # 0

Be like, "It's cold out... gotta go warm up the car, maybe close the choke a bit... oh, huh? What's this 'fuel injection' shit?"

CDs done came and went. Homeboy wasn't even up on walkmen before he went in.

*looks for payphone... finds only artifacts of payphones*

"Cable TV?"

"Microwave?"

*scratches "I WAS HERE" in the wood beams in the kitchen...*

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Fri Nov-27-15 04:05 PM

18. "I hate that jails dont introduce these things"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-27-15 04:06 PM by Heinz

a long the way for people like him who do long bids...like why isnt there classes where they can update them on world advances for when they get out. He seems like a real good dude who isnt complaining about the reason of his jail time, but if he just had the tools and knowledge beforehand of how the new world is...he would be so much better off. He could be useful in the working world. He wouldve been able to find his family online real quick. Its sad how much our justice system fails people, the innocent and the guilty.

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Fri Nov-27-15 05:24 PM

19. "they watch movies and regular tv "
In response to Reply # 18

so while they don't experience new things they can't be shocked they exist...

unless they watching repeats of I love Lucy

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 11:01 AM

23. "realistically there are a lot of 69 yr olds that haven't been locked up...."

that are lost with modern technology.

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 11:04 AM

24. "give a 65 year old an ipad and watch how angry they get"
In response to Reply # 23

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 11:45 AM

26. "Jails in America don't exist to improve people's lives "

one of the criminal justice system's many many broken elements (or working as intended if we're talking about black folks).

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 01:00 PM

28. "did he never speak to any other inmates?"
In response to Reply # 0

were all his cellies dudes who got locked up 40 years ago too?
never watched the tv or speak to any COs?

~~~~~~

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 01:31 PM

29. "He was prolly one of those skeptical, FOH-ass niggas..."
In response to Reply # 28

They prolly told him about cell phones and he was like

'Fuck outta here, son!...fuck you think this is? Star Trek?'

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 02:29 PM

33. "they separate inmates decades bruh"
In response to Reply # 28

if you are locked up in the 80's they keep you with all the dudes locked up in the 80's.

That's Incredible on repeat and shit

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Mon Nov-30-15 02:37 PM

35. "ha this would actually be funny. have a whole wing of the jail"
In response to Reply # 33

walking around saying jive turkey still
on that i'm going get you sucker steez, getting released rocking bell bottoms

~~~~~~

Lobby General Discussion topic #12935032 Previous topic | Next topic