Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12928192

Subject: "Is this why Jennifer Lawrence was paid less for American Hustle? (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79589 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 02:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is this why Jennifer Lawrence was paid less for American Hustle? (link)"

I can't paste the story but basically she worked 19 days on set while everyone else worked 45 days in set.

And since she was the last one to sign on other cast members agreed to take a hit on the back end to make room for her.

Now the other woman, Amy Adams... she got shafted, but then again, I have no idea who Amy Adams is so ionno...

interesting breakdown in the link

http://www.refinery29.com/2015/10/95960/jennifer-lawrence-american-hustle-pay-gap

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Adams is a woman so Lawrence's point stands.
Nov 13th 2015
Maybe... but Amy Adams isn't as big a star as her male counterparts
Nov 13th 2015
fine.
Nov 13th 2015
K...
Nov 13th 2015
but she is
Nov 13th 2015
      bale actually won an oscar
Nov 14th 2015
maybe.... but ionno
Nov 13th 2015
      great.
Nov 13th 2015
She advocating for WOC actresses to get equal pay to WW actresses yet or...
Nov 13th 2015
Amy Adams was the star of the movie to me and deserved all the $$
Nov 13th 2015
Jennifer actually made the most money and should be donating to Adams
Nov 13th 2015
I wonder who I'll see in this threa....oh whatup!
Nov 13th 2015
lol c'mon yo. not like this
Nov 13th 2015
he is always like this
Nov 13th 2015
cheery af? thanks bro. never would've guessed this is the topic you'd po...
Nov 13th 2015
is he wrong tho? It literally is the same few posters. Looking to have
Nov 13th 2015
      what point? the article admits the wage gap exist..
Nov 13th 2015
           it's weird how all your posts are about one thing
Nov 13th 2015
           RE: what point? ->that you're pressed
Nov 14th 2015
wild feminist appears
Nov 13th 2015
      BSC meeting in full effect, who's got the cookies!
Nov 13th 2015
The article had way more nuance then this post will.
Nov 13th 2015
full article below
Nov 13th 2015
wage inequality is definitely a thing, but as the article said,
Nov 13th 2015
no doubt it's a real thing and the article says as much...
Nov 13th 2015
      yeah i dont know too much abt amy adams, but somethg tells me
Nov 13th 2015
      no it's not. it makes for an apples vs apples comparision
Nov 13th 2015
           this could all be true...
Nov 13th 2015
I don't even know why actors bring this up. The jobs are so different
Nov 13th 2015
yeah, especially when we are talking millions...
Nov 13th 2015
doesn't matter. doesn't mean she couldn't have demanded
Nov 13th 2015
She is the main chatacter in Hunger Games...
Nov 13th 2015
      and that's why she commands the rates she does.
Nov 14th 2015
gender pay gap is a real thing, but I'm not going to argue about lottery
Nov 14th 2015

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 02:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Adams is a woman so Lawrence's point stands."
In response to Reply # 0

even if it doesn't necessarily apply to her in that role it still applies generally across Hollywood and indeed even applies in that particular movie b/c - Adams.

fuck you.

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 02:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Maybe... but Amy Adams isn't as big a star as her male counterparts"
In response to Reply # 1

and Hollywood is more interested in profit so paying more for talent they believe will bring people into the theaters is a no-brainer.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 02:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "fine."
In response to Reply # 4

i'm not at all interested in talking about whether Lawrence's point is valid. it is, period. even if this movie doesn't prove it - she's right and that's it. i'm not talking about it.

fuck you.

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 03:02 PM

7. "K..."
In response to Reply # 5

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?

GirlChild
Charter member
56000 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 10:23 PM

30. "but she is"
In response to Reply # 4

look how many times shes been nominated for an oscr
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Amy_Adams

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Sat Nov-14-15 12:44 AM

31. "bale actually won an oscar"
In response to Reply # 30

>look how many times shes been nominated for an oscr
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Amy_Adams

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Christian_Bale

and nominations are not exactly a good measure of popularity

legsdiamond
79589 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 03:01 PM

6. "maybe.... but ionno"
In response to Reply # 1

like I said, I have no idea if Amy Adams is on that level...

but the story has always been framed that Jennifer got the shaft and not Adams.

hell, if Adams did get the shaft we should have known about it long before now because Adams was more deserving.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 03:04 PM

8. "great."
In response to Reply # 6

fuck you.

no_i_cant_dance
Member since Apr 10th 2006
5577 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 02:46 PM

2. "She advocating for WOC actresses to get equal pay to WW actresses yet or..."
In response to Reply # 0

nah*??

*I am NOT opposed to her getting them coins but I will not pretend that the jig is not glaringly visible.

<<Mood...Poppy Okotcha in Look 1 at Ashish Fall 2016

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7KBq0q5bU

naame
Charter member
21017 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 02:46 PM

3. "Amy Adams was the star of the movie to me and deserved all the $$"
In response to Reply # 0

Jennifer Lawrence was horrible and was totally unbelieavable in her role

legsdiamond
79589 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 03:04 PM

9. "Jennifer actually made the most money and should be donating to Adams"
In response to Reply # 3

she made twice as much as Adams when you break it down hourly...

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 03:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "I wonder who I'll see in this threa....oh whatup!"
In response to Reply # 0

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 03:33 PM

12. "lol c'mon yo. not like this"
In response to Reply # 10

legsdiamond
79589 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 03:35 PM

13. "he is always like this"
In response to Reply # 12

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 03:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "cheery af? thanks bro. never would've guessed this is the topic you'd po..."
In response to Reply # 13

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 05:19 PM

25. "is he wrong tho? It literally is the same few posters. Looking to have "
In response to Reply # 12

A gotcha moment. That other post anyone giving rousey a pass or mitagating it was wrong but I'll be damned if this post doesn't prove rjcc's point

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

legsdiamond
79589 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 05:40 PM

26. "what point? the article admits the wage gap exist.. "
In response to Reply # 25
Fri Nov-13-15 05:46 PM by legsdiamond

no one says there isn't a wage gap in Hollywood in this post.

whays the agenda?

all im doing is showing how an article says this movie may have been a bad example of wage inequality for JL given her time on set.

but here you have the same dude throwing out names like he was forced into,this post

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 06:08 PM

28. "it's weird how all your posts are about one thing"
In response to Reply # 26

blkprinceMD05
Member since Nov 29th 2004
41323 posts
Sat Nov-14-15 03:07 PM

32. "RE: what point? ->that you're pressed "
In response to Reply # 26

prototype

stand ur ground, believe in urself,
believe in love, prepare urself for love, remove the negativity from ur life, and accept the love u kno u deserve

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 04:05 PM

18. "wild feminist appears"
In response to Reply # 10

"not very effective"

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 05:12 PM

24. "BSC meeting in full effect, who's got the cookies!"
In response to Reply # 18

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49412 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 03:10 PM

11. "The article had way more nuance then this post will. "
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Movies I need y'all bastids to see so we can discuss:

Five Star - https://goo.gl/jBHbVv
Appropriate Behavior - http://goo.gl/isCzTM
Ma

legsdiamond
79589 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 03:51 PM

15. "full article below"
In response to Reply # 0

There's no question that, on average, female actors are paid less than their male counterparts. But, whether Jennifer Lawrence was paid less for her work on American Hustle simply because she's a woman has become a subject of dispute.

Lawrence drew attention to the wage gap in an essay for Lenny Letter last week, noting that her male stars Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper were paid more than her and Amy Adams. In a column for Deadline, however, film critics Peter Bart and Mike Fleming Jr. make the argument that, while Lawrence has a point, her lower paycheck was actually on par with her work load.

"While it’s refreshing to see Lawrence put herself out there for a worthy cause, I’m not sure that American Hustle is the movie to use as Exhibit A," Fleming noted. "Here’s why. Everybody on that particularly film worked for heavy discount to make the numbers work. By the time Lawrence was brought in by her Silver Linings Playbook director David O. Russell to round out that stellar cast, deals were done with other cast members. And then they were changed, as several others gave up back-end pieces to make things more palatable to Lawrence, who worked a lot fewer days than most everybody else.

"I’m told that Lawrence worked 19 days and was paid $1.25 million and got $250,000 in deferred compensation. She also got seven points in a back-end pool that kicked in after cash break zero. Christian Bale worked 45 days for $2.5 million upfront and nine points; Bradley Cooper worked 46 days for $2.5 million and nine points. Amy Adams got $1.25 million and seven points for working 45 days, so if anyone has a beef, it would be her."

If these numbers are accurate, Adams is indeed the one who really got screwed, getting paid less for the same amount of work as Bale and Cooper. Jeremy Renner, who reportedly also made nine points but had a significantly smaller role is the one who came out ahead. Whether Lawrence's deal on American Hustle is a prime example or not, we're glad she spoke out to bring attention to disparities exactly like these.

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10145 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 03:58 PM

16. "wage inequality is definitely a thing, but as the article said,"
In response to Reply # 0

maybe this isn't the best example for her to use because of the time that she worked vs the time the others work. also all actors whether the same gender or not are not paid the same. she might not make as much as say...meryl streep, nor should she...and if by chance she does make more than meryl, again she shouldn't.

legsdiamond
79589 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 04:04 PM

17. "no doubt it's a real thing and the article says as much..."
In response to Reply # 16

hell, there is even a perfect example in Amy Adams workload and pay rate.

I think it's wild to see Jennifer Lawrence's pay in this movie being used as the example given when you see the breakdown.

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10145 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 04:06 PM

19. "yeah i dont know too much abt amy adams, but somethg tells me"
In response to Reply # 17

that she mgt not quite be the draw that Bradley or Jennifer are

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 04:15 PM

20. "no it's not. it makes for an apples vs apples comparision "
In response to Reply # 17

>I think it's wild to see Jennifer Lawrence's pay in this movie
>being used as the example given when you see the breakdown.

i never even heard of the other woman
so if i heard she was paid less than actor x, i wouldn't give it a second thought assuming she must be new etc

and i don't think it matters how many days you're on set as long as it's semi substantial
and even then it might not matter if you're big enough a star
chances are tom cruise was paid more than actor #6 for tropic thunder

~~~~~~

legsdiamond
79589 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 04:24 PM

21. "this could all be true..."
In response to Reply # 20
Fri Nov-13-15 04:30 PM by legsdiamond

from what I remember JL was barely in the movie...

and wasn't that good in her role.

but I understand she has a following and star power.

GameTheory
Member since Jun 06th 2012
1642 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 04:34 PM

22. "I don't even know why actors bring this up. The jobs are so different"
In response to Reply # 0

The average person has more of a claim to discussing what is equitable than an artist in front of a camera who "feels" they did more work.

How is that measured? Final screen time? Days on set? Gallons of fake tears produced?

legsdiamond
79589 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 04:53 PM

23. "yeah, especially when we are talking millions..."
In response to Reply # 22

most people are just trying to keep the lights on...

actors annoy me 99% when talking issues... most are out of touch

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 05:48 PM

27. "doesn't matter. doesn't mean she couldn't have demanded"
In response to Reply # 0

the pay and got it. doens't mean she wasn't as valuable to the production as far as brining in movie goers as people who worked less hours. there's some production people who probably worked 10 hour days for years. actors don't get paid by the hour. they get paid based on how many people bring they bring to the theatre. that's their bargaining chip and what their pay is based on. she discovered she was being treatedly unfairly and in the next hunger games she asked for and got her pay based on the moviegoers she brings in...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3075487/Hunger-Games-star-Jennifer-Lawrence-wins-Hollywood-gender-pay-gap-battle-paid-double-leading-man-s-wage-new-film.html

it's not that complicated. talking about an hourly wage is stupidity.

legsdiamond
79589 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 08:41 PM

29. "She is the main chatacter in Hunger Games... "
In response to Reply # 27

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Sat Nov-14-15 05:21 PM

33. "and that's why she commands the rates she does."
In response to Reply # 29

...her value is higher because of her hunger games role

that first hunger games movie did a billion in sales.

she got paid 500k for it because nothhing like that was expected.

they're over 2 billion at this point.

and she won an oscar (for another movie)

she'd be a fool to not be on some fuck you pay me going forward.

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Sat Nov-14-15 06:30 PM

34. "gender pay gap is a real thing, but I'm not going to argue about lottery"
In response to Reply # 0

winners. Which is what anyone making a lot of money in entertainment is. In entertainment and athletics, people command what they command, I'm sure it's fucked up, but I'm much more concerned about a middle class or poor woman being treated unfairly.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12928192 Previous topic | Next topic