Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12914223

Subject: "Google employee lives in a truck in the company's parking lot..." Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 10:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Google employee lives in a truck in the company's parking lot..."

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-employee-lives-in-truck-in-parking-lot-2015-10?r=UK&IR=T

A 23-year-old Google employee lives in a truck in the company's parking lot and saves 90% of his income

Kathleen Elkins

Oct. 20, 2015, 11:02 AM 4,456,808 103

When 23-year-old Brandon headed from Massachusetts to the Bay Area in mid-May to start work as a software engineer at Google, he opted out of settling into an overpriced San Francisco apartment. Instead, he moved into a 128-square-foot truck.

The idea started to formulate while Brandon — who asked to withhold his last name and photo to maintain his privacy on campus — was interning at Google last summer and living in the cheapest corporate housing offered: two bedrooms and four people for about $65 a night (roughly $2,000 a month), he told Business Insider.

"I realized I was paying an exorbitant amount of money for the apartment I was staying in — and I was almost never home," he says. "It's really hard to justify throwing that kind of money away. You're essentially burning it — you're not putting equity in anything and you're not building it up for a future — and that was really hard for me to reconcile."

He started laying the groundwork for living out of a truck immediately, as he knew he'd be returning to work full time in San Francisco. A school year later, he was purchasing a 16-foot 2006 Ford with 157,000 miles on it.

It cost him an even $10,000, which he paid up front with his signing bonus. His projected "break-even point" is October 21, according to the live-updating "savings clock" he created on his blog, "Thoughts from Inside the Box."

His one fixed cost is truck insurance — $121 a month — as he doesn't use electricity, and his phone bill is handled by Google.

"I don't actually own anything that needs to be plugged in," he explains on his blog. "The truck has a few built-in overhead lights, and I have a motion-sensitive battery-powered lamp I use at night. I have a small battery pack that I charge up at work every few days, and I use that to charge my headphones and cellphone at night. My work laptop will last the night on a charge, and then I charge it at work."

The space is sparse and minimal, he says: "The main things that I have are a bed, a dresser, and I built a coat rack to hang up my clothes. Besides that, and a few stuffed animals, there's pretty much nothing in there."

As for food and showers, that's all on Google's campus. He eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner at work and showers every morning in the corporate gym post-workout.

Few expenses mean significant savings: "I'm going for a target of saving about 90% of my after-tax income, and throwing that in student loans and investments," he says.

He graduated with $22,434 worth of student loans, and has paid it down to $16,449 over the course of four months. "As a conservative estimate (and taking bonuses into consideration), I expect to have them paid off within the next six months, saving thousands of dollars over the standard 10-year, or even 20-year plans," he says.

Additionally, saving on rent has allowed him to dine at nice restaurants and enjoy San Francisco more than if he opted for living in an apartment.

Another perk: His commute from a parking spot on the periphery of Google's campus is a few seconds on foot, rather than a few hours sitting in San Francisco traffic.

Besides one friendly run-in with security after getting home late from a movie one evening, his truck lifestyle hasn't been a problem. He was greeted by about 10 security personnel that night, but after showing them his corporate badge — and even offering to move the truck — they apologized for waking him and even said he had a "sweet setup." Google did not respond to requests for comment.

The trade-off for such low-cost housing is space — and modern conveniences such as heat, air-conditioning, and a bathroom — but Brandon says the 128-square-foot space is larger than any of the bedrooms he's ever lived in, and he's usually only home to sleep.

The truck lifestyle provides more than financial freedom. It forces him outside of his comfort zone, an essential learning experience considering he hopes to travel the world.

"If I do plan on traveling the world, I'll need to be comfortable with unconventional living situations, and this is certainly a good place to start," he writes. "Plus, there is never going to be a better time in my life for me to try this. I'm young, flexible, and I don't have to worry about this decision affecting anyone else in my life."

He's not sure how permanent life inside a box will be, so he hasn't put a deadline on it. "It's been five months so far, and I don't see it stopping soon for any reason," he says.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
oh, to be young again...
Oct 21st 2015
yeah.. if i could go back man.
Oct 21st 2015
yeah.. if i could go back man.
Oct 21st 2015
Black man wouldn't last three hours doing that shit
Oct 21st 2015
That some weirdo aspergers type ish.
Oct 21st 2015
that is insane and horrific.
Oct 21st 2015
That's almost like my sailboat in NYC plan
Oct 21st 2015
my old boss did it
Oct 21st 2015
I heard that Charlie Rose lived like that, in D.C.
Oct 21st 2015
and LOL
Oct 21st 2015
I've been trying go convince my SO to day this with me for 2 years...
Oct 21st 2015
Because of the implication (c) IASIP
Oct 21st 2015
and freeze 6-8 months of the year.
Oct 21st 2015
Boats have heat Bro
Oct 21st 2015
      not hot enough heat.
Oct 21st 2015
           You're right.
Oct 21st 2015
                lol. i feel that.
Oct 21st 2015
I had a friend do it in Baltimore.
Oct 21st 2015
Google is not in SF right?
Oct 21st 2015
i could see myself doing something like this on a dare, but not infinite...
Oct 21st 2015
Dude's being smart IMO.
Oct 21st 2015
I could see a small camper or small RV but a truck? Nah...
Oct 21st 2015
he's not there to hang out though...just sleep.
Oct 21st 2015
he's not there to hang out though...just sleep.
Oct 21st 2015
smart but he thinks no picture or name will keep his anonymity
Oct 21st 2015
i forget many of you suffer social problems.
Oct 21st 2015
i mean it works for him *shrug*
Oct 21st 2015
      great.
Oct 21st 2015
software engineer... sounds about right
Oct 21st 2015
i wonder if he has trained his body to do #2 at the gym
Oct 21st 2015
there are so many things wrong with this.
Oct 21st 2015
bobtail trucks like that are pretty damn spacious
Oct 21st 2015
my friend's dad just lived in his car for a year on purpose
Oct 21st 2015

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 10:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "oh, to be young again..."
In response to Reply # 0

smart kid. i respect his hustle.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79809 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 10:34 AM

3. "yeah.. if i could go back man."
In response to Reply # 1

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

legsdiamond
79809 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 10:34 AM

4. "yeah.. if i could go back man."
In response to Reply # 1

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13583 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 10:30 AM

2. "Black man wouldn't last three hours doing that shit"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-21-15 10:31 AM by flipnile

Scared, entitled young google employee: "OMG, there's a creepy bla... uh, I mean guy in a truck waiting to rob people the parking lot!"

*five squard cars roll up*

Scared, entitled young google employee: "Hey, wait... that's Hakeem, my cube mate. It's ok, officers. You can stop beating him now"

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49498 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 10:41 AM

5. "That some weirdo aspergers type ish. "
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Movies I need y'all bastids to see so we can discuss:

Five Star - https://goo.gl/jBHbVv
Appropriate Behavior - http://goo.gl/isCzTM
Ma

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 10:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "that is insane and horrific."
In response to Reply # 0

fuck you.

Cam
Charter member
13287 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 11:04 AM

7. "That's almost like my sailboat in NYC plan"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-21-15 11:13 AM by Cam

You can't really bring the Thotties back to your box-truck, but you can bring them to your Yacht--for some box.

A decent size used boat - http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1985-BENETEAU-First-345-102578257 = $17,500
West 79th Street Boat Basin for the year = $5,625
liability insurance = $250
A year long membership at Equinox = $1,920 (for showers better than the boat's head, and their steam room access...and Kiehl's)

That's about equivalent to a $2000 per month rental for the year--you can't find that in the UWS. Then, after year 1, monthly charges would be about $650. And once you change lifestyles, you'll still have a boat you can sail...or resell.

I might do that shit!

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 11:13 AM

8. "my old boss did it"
In response to Reply # 7

he moved from canada to NYC to take that job
and lived on a boat
rode his bike to work

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Cam
Charter member
13287 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 11:55 AM

18. "I heard that Charlie Rose lived like that, in D.C."
In response to Reply # 8

Another plan of mine.
A boat in all the Megalopolis coastal cities.
BoatBNB.
who wants to fund me?

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 11:14 AM

9. "and LOL"
In response to Reply # 7

>A year long membership at Equinox = $1,920 (for showers better
>than the boat's head, and their steam room access...and
>Kiehl's)
>
gotta have that ultra facial moisturizer

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 11:21 AM

11. "I've been trying go convince my SO to day this with me for 2 years..."
In response to Reply # 7

If I was single and not in school, man oh man.

DJTB YOMM

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15895 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 11:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Because of the implication (c) IASIP"
In response to Reply # 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_49P1RtqU0

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 11:22 AM

13. "and freeze 6-8 months of the year."
In response to Reply # 7

best of luck w/it.

fuck you.

Cam
Charter member
13287 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 11:47 AM

17. "Boats have heat Bro"
In response to Reply # 13
Wed Oct-21-15 11:48 AM by Cam

and then if you treated your thotties right, you'll prob find cold weather roommate/s on land, during those unbearable days.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 11:56 AM

19. "not hot enough heat."
In response to Reply # 17

they're not designed as residences for the most part and if so they're typically designed to act as residences in warm weather environments. the heat on boats seems to be designed in consideration of ppl either being in cold for a short time or not being in the kind of cold NYC expriences in a typical winter. so i'd expect to be cold for the entire winter spent living on a boat. 'cold' as in i'd have to wear a sweater and pants in my home. and that ain't living.

in general this idea y'all are bandying about seems pretty awful as one's home wouldn't be comfortable. and living w/o a comfortable home takes a toll on a person. this is something that wasn't clear to me until i reached my late 30s. but maybe that's just me. i can't live a spartan existence w/o the quality of my life suffering drastically. which has negative impact on my work performance and all of my relationships - platonic, familial, romantic...et al.

there's more to life than cheap rent.

but, again, maybe that's just me.

fuck you.

Cam
Charter member
13287 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 01:20 PM

23. "You're right."
In response to Reply # 19

But in real life, "if a sneak start leaning, and the heat stop workin'"...i'mma sparty on. Or at least think about it.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 02:22 PM

24. "lol. i feel that."
In response to Reply # 23

fuck you.

Triptych
Charter member
30127 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 06:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
32. "I had a friend do it in Baltimore."
In response to Reply # 7

It was fine. Small house, except it's ALSO A BOAT. That's cool as far as I'm concerned.

$10,000 for like a 25 foot sailboat - they're way cheaper used than you'd think.

Some nominal dock fee - let's say $500/mo. You get a water and electric hookup.

That's it. STACK.

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4383 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 11:16 AM

10. "Google is not in SF right?"
In response to Reply # 0

The article implies he would *have* to live in sf otherwise and commute 2 hours
Do they have some housing connections there? I mean the bay is pretty big and expensive but you can rent in a lot of places, some close to where Google is
Living in sf and commuting out of it to work seems nutty

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 11:25 AM

14. "i could see myself doing something like this on a dare, but not infinite..."
In response to Reply # 0

i'd need a deadline.

i still blame hip-hop.

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 11:42 AM

15. "Dude's being smart IMO."
In response to Reply # 0

The only thing I'd probably do different is get a used RV but if that wasn't an option, I'd go with the same thing he has. I lived in the barracks before as well as a small room downrange and this doesn't look that much different.

Since 1976

legsdiamond
79809 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 11:59 AM

20. "I could see a small camper or small RV but a truck? Nah..."
In response to Reply # 15

but then again, if he is planning on doing this for a year or 2 it's not that bad of a deal.

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35878 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 02:57 PM

27. "he's not there to hang out though...just sleep."
In response to Reply # 20

maybe some folks aren't aware of just how "home-like" the Google campus is.

he has showers and all the food he could want, games, friends etc...and he works an insane amount of hours.

this makes total sense for his situation.

d

Damali
35878 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 02:57 PM

28. "he's not there to hang out though...just sleep."
In response to Reply # 20

maybe some folks aren't aware of just how "home-like" the Google campus is.

he has showers and all the food he could want, games, friends etc...and he works an insane amount of hours.

this makes total sense for his situation.

d

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 03:04 PM

29. "smart but he thinks no picture or name will keep his anonymity "
In response to Reply # 15
Wed Oct-21-15 03:06 PM by Atillah Moor

even though he is likely one of the few living in a truck on the campus.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 11:46 AM

16. "i forget many of you suffer social problems."
In response to Reply # 0

LOL

this would be seem possible to y'all.

fuck you.

Damali
35878 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 02:53 PM

25. "i mean it works for him *shrug*"
In response to Reply # 16

if he loses his job at Google, it won't anymore.

i don't see the big deal. he's happy so i'm happy for him.

d

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 06:04 PM

31. "great."
In response to Reply # 25

fuck you.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32102 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 12:22 PM

21. "software engineer... sounds about right"
In response to Reply # 0

those dudes tend to be socially awkward hermits

EMATI
Charter member
8940 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 12:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "i wonder if he has trained his body to do #2 at the gym"
In response to Reply # 0

he's for damn sure hanging out on campus or near a bathroom AFTER dinner and BEFORE he goes "home"
i have all sorts of preconceived notions
like he's socially awkward & aint fking

he's probably using campus wifi too
as for the space itself, it's not bad as i envisioned
small touches could improve the dorm look
he can't tell me he doesn't have an emergency piss bottle or some shit, i cant be convinced otherwise

i see people do this out of necessity around la with campers and motor homes
they stay posted in the same spot
and it usually in lower income business zones & they come park there at night & through out the weekend

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 02:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "there are so many things wrong with this."
In response to Reply # 0

chief among them is that the reality of living close to work is so expensive, that someone with a "good" job can't find something more cost-effective than living in a goddamn truck?

man, fuck that.

in the goat ass.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 03:11 PM

30. "bobtail trucks like that are pretty damn spacious"
In response to Reply # 0

He could really pimp it out if he wants to. Adding overhead storage and a generator. Ceiling is roughly 12 feet high. About 12 feet wide. and 24-30 feet long. Shit that aint bad.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Mynoriti
Charter member
38829 posts
Wed Oct-21-15 06:51 PM

33. "my friend's dad just lived in his car for a year on purpose"
In response to Reply # 0

he wasn't pressed for money. he's just a notoriously cheap dude who will save a dollar at any cost.

had just gotten divorced and was trying to buy a house and refused to rent or stay with anyone in the meantime.

dude was proud as hell talking about 99 cent store meals, and coolers and finding places to shower.

whatever makes you happy i guess, but he's never been all there.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12914223 Previous topic | Next topic