Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12906363

Subject: "Finding an actual data recovery lab in Chicago" Previous topic | Next topic
3CardMolly
Member since Jun 08th 2007
13784 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 06:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Finding an actual data recovery lab in Chicago"

Hey so I'm looking to have my external harddrive repaired because somehow it became unallocated and the partitions are invisible to all software recovery programs used thus far
recuva
pareto
photorec
recovermyfiles
disktest
etc etc

I've also taken it to a computer repair shop that charged $30 to attempt to find something ($149 if found) and they came up with nothing. So I need a professional place or person that can crack it open and get the mechanics right. Thing is every place I see in Chicago claims to do data recovery but it appears they charge the same $30-45 try and $150 if fixed price which makes me think they're only running the same shit I did and charging me. Does anyone know of a true tech person or lab in Chi that can physically repair a hdd?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
did any of them pull the drive out of the enclosure?
Oct 03rd 2015
I saw that suggested a few places
Oct 04th 2015
      Microcenter is your friend
Oct 04th 2015
           Darnit Mike
Oct 07th 2015
cost me $1500 when it happened to me..good luck w/ that
Oct 07th 2015
Damn!! Was it worth it?
Oct 07th 2015
      yeah i had a lot of work stuff...that i absolutley had to have
Oct 07th 2015

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Sat Oct-03-15 02:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "did any of them pull the drive out of the enclosure?"
In response to Reply # 0

did any of them rebuild the partition table?

I had a drive like that and before I could recover data from it I had to restore the partitions and pull the drive out of the enclosure and attach it directly to my PC.

One that had the partition table corrupted required me to reformat the drive just to make it readable by Windows, then I could run Recuva and PhotoRec.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

3CardMolly
13784 posts
Sun Oct-04-15 10:05 AM

2. "I saw that suggested a few places"
In response to Reply # 1

So how did you connect the hdd without the case, and how exactly did you rebuild the partitions? Also after intializing your drive where you able to recover all files with Recuva? I'm willing to do it myself with solid instruction.

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Sun Oct-04-15 11:40 AM

3. "Microcenter is your friend"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun Oct-04-15 11:41 AM by DVS

You can buy a SATA or IDE (if you ancient) external connector for your drive for like 30 bucks. Taking it out of the enclosure is as simple as a few screwdrivers and a Youtube search.

Someone else will have to speak on the rebuilding partitions part....I've used Partition Magic to expand my partitions on the fly, but I've never had to rebuild them on a defective drive.

Good luck.

D

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

3CardMolly
13784 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 05:44 AM

4. "Darnit Mike"
In response to Reply # 3

Didnt even think about them. Will do and thank you a billion.

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 07:29 AM

5. "cost me $1500 when it happened to me..good luck w/ that"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 07:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Damn!! Was it worth it?"
In response to Reply # 5

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 08:00 AM

7. "yeah i had a lot of work stuff...that i absolutley had to have"
In response to Reply # 6

that was a low end price too....some people were paying $1900. $2200 etc

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Lobby General Discussion topic #12906363 Previous topic | Next topic