Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12904939

Subject: "Army Ranger instructors says women not held to same standards as men" Previous topic | Next topic
RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Wed Sep-30-15 08:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Army Ranger instructors says women not held to same standards as men"
Wed Sep-30-15 08:40 PM by RobOne4

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12881854&mesg_id=12881854&listing_type=search#12881932

post #2

I mean I had a feeling but hopefully this is not true. If it is how could these women even accept the honor knowing they didnt truely earn it. Also knowing that your peers know you didnt earn it.

http://www.people.com/article/females-rangers-army-congressman-letter

A congressman who is a combat veteran and Ranger graduate has asked the Pentagon's top Army leader to produce documents related to the performance of the females who began Ranger School at Fort Benning, Georgia earlier this year, PEOPLE has learned.

In a letter obtained exclusively by PEOPLE, Rep. Steve Russell, R-Okla., gave outgoing Army Secretary John McHugh until September 25 to produce documents revealing the women's test scores, evaluations, injuries, pre-training and more. The letter was delivered to McHugh's Pentagon office on September 15.

"The training of our combat warriors is paramount to our national defense," Russell wrote to McHugh. "In order to ensure that the Army retains its ability to defend the nation, we must ensure that our readiness is not sacrificed."

The congressman is concerned because "sources at Fort Benning are coming forward to say the Army lied about women in Ranger School, that the women got special treatment and played by different rules," according to a Capitol Hill source with knowledge of why the letter was crafted. "These folks say one thing, the Army says another. Congress needs to know the truth, and Russell reached out to find it."

Ranger instructors – who said they were ordered to remain silent, and fear for their careers for speaking out – gave Russell's office specific examples of the special treatment the women received, the Capitol Hill source says.

The school consists of three phases: Benning, which lasts 21 days and includes water survival, land navigation, a 12-mile march, patrols, an obstacle course and others; Mountain, which lasts 20 days, and includes rigorous mountain training like assaults, ambushes, mountaineering and patrols; Florida/Swamp, which lasts 17 days and covers waterborne operations.

The instructors say that among other things, the women did not carry the same amount of equipment as the men, did not take their turn carrying the heavy machine guns and were given intensive pre-training that was not offered to men, other sources with knowledge of what occurred at the school tell PEOPLE. In addition, men who repeatedly failed crucial phases of the school were sent home while the women were allowed to redo those phases over and over, sources say.

On August 21, two women – First Lts. Kristen Griest and Shaye Haver – graduated. A third woman just failed the third phase in Florida and is being allowed to try it again, sources say.

The women could not be reached for comment but an Army spokesperson insists they passed under their own steam.

"... There was no pressure from anyone to lower any standards – the standards remained the same and the Soldiers that graduated with their Ranger tabs on August 21, 2015 in Ranger Class 8-15 accomplished the very same demanding standards of Ranger School as previous classes," the Army's Lt. Col. Garrett wrote in an emailed statement to PEOPLE.

That's why the congressman wants to see the documents himself, the Capitol Hill source says.

"The only way to resolve the discrepancy is to examine the documents," the source says.

The issue is gaining prominence as the military as a whole moves towards opening all jobs, including combat positions, to females. The positions are slated to be open January 1, unless special exemptions are granted. All services have until October 1 to notify the Secretary of Defense whether they want exemptions.

"Everyone is waiting to see how this plays out with the Army," says Jim Lechner, a retired Army officer and Ranger who was wounded in combat in Mogadishu, Somalia, during the famed "Black Hawk Down" incident.

The issue is crucial, Lechner says. "Combat is brutal and unforgiving. Fighters must be prepared and capable. If they are not, people will die."

Ranger School needs to remain a stark litmus test of who can perform in combat, says a longtime trainer.

"These are our front-line fighters, and they have to have what it takes," says Bubba Moore, a former Ranger instructor with close ties to the Ranger and Fort Benning communities.

A number of "concerned" congressional leaders are watching closely to see the results of Russell's inquiry, a committee staff member says.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
and away we go
Sep 30th 2015
damn.
Oct 01st 2015
RE: damn.
Oct 01st 2015
      *shrugs*
Oct 01st 2015
of course it is.
Oct 01st 2015
yes and the women who applied for Army Ranger School
Oct 01st 2015
clearly since the vast majority washed out.
Oct 01st 2015
      oh, I see.
Oct 01st 2015
           Pretty sure the SEALs don't let women join out of fact
Oct 01st 2015
                Oh really? Can kids join the seals?
Oct 01st 2015
                     you can join at 17 and if you're exceptional then likely yes
Oct 01st 2015
                          Oh wow! My little 14 yr old cousin is a black belt in karate, or somethi...
Oct 01st 2015
                               but you don't troll right? lol nm.
Oct 01st 2015
                               If I did I wouldn't admit it, would I?
Oct 01st 2015
                               I mean if you want to throw her to wolves -- go for it
Oct 01st 2015
                                    they'll throw her in front of wolves?
Oct 01st 2015
                                         My point being the military is a dangerous place for women
Oct 01st 2015
                                              But the uniforms are hot.
Oct 01st 2015
                                                   Objection -- his Honour will note that the word 'play' was never used
Oct 01st 2015
                                                        are we playing law and order?
Oct 01st 2015
                                                             I'll be the other guy
Oct 01st 2015
Isn't a 100 ft. log a tree?
Oct 01st 2015
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1KDqdikd_g
Oct 01st 2015
           "I realize this exercise can tire your shoulders"
Oct 01st 2015
                you should type less.
Oct 02nd 2015
                     so what?
Oct 02nd 2015
                          Speak for your weak noodle arm having self. Nm
Oct 02nd 2015
                               you can lift a pecan log roll.
Oct 02nd 2015
I wouldnt want a woman on my team if she couldnt carry me
Oct 01st 2015
aint ya'll watch GI. Jane?
Oct 01st 2015
lol the only scenario where it's feasible -- Hollywood
Oct 01st 2015
I just want to point out how much deference these standards were given
Oct 01st 2015
lol
Oct 01st 2015
yep
Oct 02nd 2015
duh.
Oct 01st 2015
wait a minute now you are changing your story?
Oct 01st 2015
      I was stating what I got from that article
Oct 01st 2015
The cynic in me is wondering
Oct 01st 2015
but that doesnt change that they were allowed to retake courses
Oct 01st 2015
Again, we don't know that this applies to the women who graduated
Oct 01st 2015
very true
Oct 01st 2015
      Or maybe they're not lying morons and the women passed
Oct 01st 2015
           I guess you missed the emphasis on IF
Oct 01st 2015
men routinely retkae the course
Oct 01st 2015
depends on WHY they failed
Oct 02nd 2015
part of the test was seeing if the women would demand the same weight
Oct 01st 2015
^^^^ never served in the army
Oct 01st 2015
      what i heard on npr was the women was volunteering
Oct 01st 2015
      I'm pretty sure you know the answer to your question
Oct 02nd 2015
           They don't care if men die. They just LOVE the idea of having women
Oct 02nd 2015
Oct 01st 2015
right. why are they giving them lighter anything? either they can do it
Oct 01st 2015
Did you say machine guns? LOL What? No modern soldier ever said.
Oct 01st 2015
      How would you describe the 60?
Oct 02nd 2015
      We just called it an M60. No one says machine gun LOL
Oct 02nd 2015
      wrong
Oct 02nd 2015
           WE alwasys use the number of the weapon, never said Machine Gun
Oct 02nd 2015
I guess gender is not a construct after all.
Oct 01st 2015
That's all anon bs
Oct 01st 2015
thx.. but even this sounds fishy IMO
Oct 02nd 2015
      the idea that he'd lie about this is fishy...
Oct 02nd 2015
Oct 01st 2015
didn't get to do a full response before, but the allegations smell fishy
Oct 02nd 2015
interesante.
Oct 02nd 2015
agree with this too
Oct 02nd 2015
I recall an article where a Ranger said the standards were arbitrary
Oct 02nd 2015

Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Wed Sep-30-15 09:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "and away we go"
In response to Reply # 0

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 08:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "damn."
In response to Reply # 0

it sounds like the Army may have taken steps to help the women succeed possibly b/c it valued their service and maybe someone somewhere thought it was important that these women graduate. which sounds quite awesome to me. probably b/c i'm unwilling to place much value in unbending standards or the idea that women shouldn't serve in combat.

i think it'll be a shame if the results of this investigation reveal that what happened here is 'improper'. b/c i'm not sure it is. or, as of now i have no problem w/what i just read.

fuck you.

RobOne4
56697 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 09:29 AM

8. "RE: damn."
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Oct-01-15 09:29 AM by RobOne4

>i think it'll be a shame if the results of this investigation
>reveal that what happened here is 'improper'. b/c i'm not
>sure it is. or, as of now i have no problem w/what i just
>read.

well if any of the things listed happened then it was improper. Gotta let everyone retake portions of the class. Gotta let everyone retake them. I mean I understand why you want women to get through the course and become Rangers. Great PR. But to think you could do these things and keep it completely silent is just stupid. Especially in the boys club that is the Army/military. Shit even if they got through with out the extra help you had to see probes like this coming from the jump.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 09:30 AM

9. "*shrugs*"
In response to Reply # 8

fuck you.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 08:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "of course it is. "
In response to Reply # 0

women simply dont have the strength and bone density to handle the physical nature of the training. yes a ronda rousey type chick MAYBE but the average woman? is not lifting now 100 ft log & holding it over her head for hours. not gonna happen.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 08:42 AM

4. "yes and the women who applied for Army Ranger School"
In response to Reply # 3

are definitely closer to 'average' women than to Ronda Roussey.

succinct analysis, pal.

bring us more of it!

fuck you.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 09:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "clearly since the vast majority washed out. "
In response to Reply # 4

as the vast majority of men do.

its not for everybody...KINDA the point. if you cant hack it...youre not cut out for it. male or female. cry more.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 09:06 AM

7. "oh, I see."
In response to Reply # 6

I didn't not know this. I thought anyone who applied could be an army ranger. Like the marines and the navy seals.

fuck you.

GameTheory
Member since Jun 06th 2012
1642 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 09:44 AM

11. "Pretty sure the SEALs don't let women join out of fact"
In response to Reply # 7

Equality just doesn't need to happen everywhere

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 09:56 AM

13. "Oh really? Can kids join the seals?"
In response to Reply # 11

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:01 AM

14. "you can join at 17 and if you're exceptional then likely yes"
In response to Reply # 13
Thu Oct-01-15 10:01 AM by Atillah Moor

they will take children

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:03 AM

16. "Oh wow! My little 14 yr old cousin is a black belt in karate, or somethi..."
In response to Reply # 14

I should tell her to apply to be a navy seal. She can fall back on being a marine, I guess.

fuck you.

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:09 AM

17. "but you don't troll right? lol nm."
In response to Reply # 16

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:14 AM

21. "If I did I wouldn't admit it, would I?"
In response to Reply # 17

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:09 AM

18. "I mean if you want to throw her to wolves -- go for it "
In response to Reply # 16

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:15 AM

22. "they'll throw her in front of wolves?"
In response to Reply # 18

I think she'd dig that! She loves dogs.

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:21 AM

24. "My point being the military is a dangerous place for women "
In response to Reply # 22

more so than the streets it would seem. Want to increase your chances of being assaulted then sign up. Why would anyone want that risk for their kin was what I was getting at, but hey I know the sarcasm dial is turned all the way up right now.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:31 AM

25. "But the uniforms are hot."
In response to Reply # 24

At least some of them. Plus they get to play with wolves, as you said.

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:35 AM

27. "Objection -- his Honour will note that the word 'play' was never used "
In response to Reply # 25

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:39 AM

28. "are we playing law and order?"
In response to Reply # 27

I'm briscoe!

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:42 AM

29. "I'll be the other guy"
In response to Reply # 28

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 09:40 AM

10. "Isn't a 100 ft. log a tree?"
In response to Reply # 3

>is not lifting now 100
>ft log & holding it over her head for hours. not gonna
>happen.

I have, intentionally, zero knowledge of what occurs at this training. Is this actually something they do or just something you borrowed from Norse mythology because something something men and bone density?

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

RaFromQueens
19528 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:13 AM

20. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1KDqdikd_g"
In response to Reply # 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1KDqdikd_g

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:34 AM

26. ""I realize this exercise can tire your shoulders""
In response to Reply # 20
Thu Oct-01-15 10:36 AM by Walleye

I love the smugness with which that note was delivered.

I kind of imagine that having somebody substantially taller or shorter than the other folks on that log would be a bigger problem than somebody weaker. But maybe not.

edit: it also seems worth pointing out that the only resemblance between that kind of awesome video and whatever the fellow above me was describing is the presence of a log.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 08:20 AM

49. "you should type less."
In response to Reply # 26

let me make this simple for you. that training...was lifting a log. right? as a unit. right? men are better at that. period. the end.

if it makes you feel better women are better at organizing shit.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 08:24 AM

50. "so what?"
In response to Reply # 49
Fri Oct-02-15 08:26 AM by SoWhat

so what if 'women' are not as good as 'men' at lifting a fucking log?

you and i couldn't lift a log.

there are women who can.

those women have a shot at being army rangers. as well they should.

period.

fuck you.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 09:59 AM

51. "Speak for your weak noodle arm having self. Nm"
In response to Reply # 50

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 11:18 AM

54. "you can lift a pecan log roll."
In response to Reply # 51

but that's about it.

fuck you.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79620 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 08:56 AM

5. "I wouldnt want a woman on my team if she couldnt carry me"
In response to Reply # 0

to safety like they are trained to do.

Will they have different missions or different responsibilities?

ionno about this one.. put her on sniper duty or something but full missions and she want carry her gear? nah...

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 09:45 AM

12. "aint ya'll watch GI. Jane?"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:02 AM

15. "lol the only scenario where it's feasible -- Hollywood "
In response to Reply # 12

RaFromQueens
19528 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:11 AM

19. "I just want to point out how much deference these standards were given"
In response to Reply # 0

when announcements came about women entering combat roles. From Rachel Maddow to OKP trolls EVERYONE said of COURSE these women will go through the same standards. Oh, and if you think they can't you're sexist!

Appalling intellectual dishonesty will follow.

---

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:15 AM

23. "lol"
In response to Reply # 19

>From Rachel Maddow to OKP trolls EVERYONE said of COURSE these women will go through the same standards. Oh, and if you think they can't you're sexist!

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 11:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
56. "yep"
In response to Reply # 19

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:49 AM

30. "duh."
In response to Reply # 0

RobOne4
56697 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 11:01 AM

32. "wait a minute now you are changing your story?"
In response to Reply # 30

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12881854&mesg_id=12881854&listing_type=search#12881932

replies 2-13

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 11:07 AM

35. "I was stating what I got from that article"
In response to Reply # 32

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 11:01 AM

31. "The cynic in me is wondering "
In response to Reply # 0

If these instructors gave the women lighter loads and didn't make them carry the machine guns specifically so they could discredit them.

RobOne4
56697 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 11:03 AM

33. "but that doesnt change that they were allowed to retake courses"
In response to Reply # 31

I think that is the biggest foul in the whole ordeal. You cant get through a phase of the training then you are washed out and have to try the whole thing again. There should be no do overs.

John Forte
15361 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 11:05 AM

34. "Again, we don't know that this applies to the women who graduated "
In response to Reply # 33

But, you're right. Extra chances are the most damning part.

RobOne4
56697 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 11:16 AM

37. "very true"
In response to Reply # 34

the thing that blows my mind the most with this all is IF they indeed help the women get through Ranger School via special treatment and tried to keep it quiet then they are morons. No way were other Ranger School attendees or Ranger School instructors going to sit by and let that shit happen with out speaking up. Of course this info was going to get leaked. Even if nothing was leaked you know there were going to be skeptics who were going to dig into this matter regardless. So why put your career and reputation in jeopardy over this?

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 08:46 PM

45. "Or maybe they're not lying morons and the women passed "
In response to Reply # 37

RobOne4
56697 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 08:57 PM

46. "I guess you missed the emphasis on IF"
In response to Reply # 45

ndibs
12715 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 06:12 PM

40. "men routinely retkae the course"

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/careers/army/2015/05/08/women-ranger-school-recycle/26984151/

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 01:58 PM

59. "depends on WHY they failed"

...but it's common practice for both men and women to fail a part of that kind of training and b allowed to retake it at another time...again, it depends on the why....

and it's a good thing, but...ok...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

legsdiamond
79620 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 11:15 AM

36. "part of the test was seeing if the women would demand the same weight"

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

John Forte
15361 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 11:26 AM

38. "^^^^ never served in the army"
In response to Reply # 36

One of the first things they taught me in basic training was "never volunteer for anything". Assuming the women knew they were carrying less weight, the only way the military would frown upon their not asking for more is is the men were carrying the weight for them.

ndibs
12715 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 06:14 PM

"what i heard on npr was the women was volunteering"
Thu Oct-01-15 06:16 PM by ndibs

to carry heavy machine guns and take the loads off men, when the men were struggling. all this is hearsay though. what i heard on npr and the info in this post.

there's no real reason to include women. this is a life or death thing. are they really going to include women if and where they're not pulling their weight and there's serious risk to the other soldiers?

is there any good reason to do this?

legsdiamond
79620 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 10:05 AM

52. "I'm pretty sure you know the answer to your question"
In response to Reply # 0

ndibs
12715 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 03:44 PM

65. "They don't care if men die. They just LOVE the idea of having women "
In response to Reply # 52

Around and these army guys are super feminists.

ndibs
12715 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 06:14 PM

41. "."
In response to Reply # 38
Thu Oct-01-15 06:15 PM by ndibs

sweet ruffian
Member since Jul 11th 2003
8129 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 06:47 PM

42. "right. why are they giving them lighter anything? either they can do it"

or they can't

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 10:26 PM

47. "Did you say machine guns? LOL What? No modern soldier ever said."

Speaking inspiration to your situations on Instagram @jeromejcase.

John Forte
15361 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 02:08 PM

60. "How would you describe the 60?"
In response to Reply # 47

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 03:26 PM

64. "We just called it an M60. No one says machine gun LOL"
In response to Reply # 60

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 02:20 PM

61. "wrong"
In response to Reply # 47

http://armypubs.army.mil/doctrine/DR_pubs/dr_a/pdf/fm3_22x68.pdf

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 03:25 PM

63. "WE alwasys use the number of the weapon, never said Machine Gun"
In response to Reply # 61

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 05:43 PM

39. "I guess gender is not a construct after all."
In response to Reply # 0

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

ndibs
12715 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 06:52 PM

43. "That's all anon bs"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-01-15 06:58 PM by ndibs

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/two-women-make-history-and-finish-rigorous-us-army/nnNmX/

Men who were there say the exact opposite, they volunteered to carry extra, while men said the couldn't. I'll take that over anonymous sources. The instructors had the option to fail the others out if they wanted to like they did all the other women.

legsdiamond
79620 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 11:08 AM

53. "thx.. but even this sounds fishy IMO"
In response to Reply # 43

no one else would help dude but the female?

yeah.. OK.

If it's true she is awesome and fuck those other dudes who wouldn't help him.

ndibs
12715 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 11:51 AM

58. "the idea that he'd lie about this is fishy..."
In response to Reply # 53

you think someone put him up to it and he's going to be able to go back to this group of rangers and not get a whole bunch of crap about it if it's untrue?

ndibs
12715 posts
Thu Oct-01-15 06:52 PM

44. "."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-01-15 06:54 PM by ndibs

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 06:48 AM

48. "didn't get to do a full response before, but the allegations smell fishy"
In response to Reply # 0

especially since Ranger students are evaluated by their peers in addition to their trainers. it would have to be a grand conspiracy involved just to clear that hurdle, especially if they weren't actually carrying their share of the weight.

everything else just seems like nitpicky and ignorant reporting--

they did special physical training to get prepared for the school? so does every fucking unit and installation in the Army.

http://www.army.mil/article/106545/Ranger_PT_challenges_field_artillery_students/

they recycled phases multiple times? so do many other rangers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/2jco8j/those_who_have_their_ranger_tab_how_long_did_it/

there isn't much secret to the sauce here.

-------

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 11:18 AM

55. "interesante."
In response to Reply # 48

fuck you.

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 11:27 AM

57. "agree with this too"
In response to Reply # 48

definitely skeptical of people looking the other way in concert like that even with these late anonymous snitches

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44853 posts
Fri Oct-02-15 02:30 PM

62. "I recall an article where a Ranger said the standards were arbitrary"
In response to Reply # 0

And needed to be changed anyway. Weight was a particular focus from what I remember. He said that in critical situations they are actually more likely to jetison weight and travel lighter.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12904939 Previous topic | Next topic