Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12900246

Subject: "Good Union Jobs, do you have one?" Previous topic | Next topic
Cam
Charter member
13287 posts
Tue Sep-22-15 03:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Good Union Jobs, do you have one?"

http://nypost.com/2015/09/20/average-nyc-school-janitor-makes-109k-a-year/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPFacebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Average NYC school janitor makes $109K a year
By Aaron Short

School custodians are cleaning up — in the hallways and in their paychecks — because the city doesn’t want to hire enough of them.
Custodians took home an average pay of $109,467 in the 2013-14 school year — and 634 of the city’s 799 custodians earned more than $100,000 in salary and overtime during that time, city payroll records show.
That’s because of the city’s 1,500 school buildings, 238 have no full-time custodian on site, up 74 percent from the 137 empty slots in 2012, according to data from the custodians union.
The arrangement is forcing nearly one-third of the city’s 737 custodians to cover two schools — and reap additional pay.
Union leaders say the city has traded school cleanliness and safety for a meager savings.
“The city is not saving much money because they’re paying my members to be at both places,” said International Union of Operating Engineers Local 891 president Robert Troeller, referring to overtime costs. “I don’t know why they’re not hiring. It’s ridiculous.”
Custodians possess licenses needed to operate and maintain a school building, including credentials for boilers, heating/air conditioning and fire sprinklers and alarms.
Department of Education spokesman Jason Fink said school buildings have “fully qualified” staff members on site who can perform all duties required.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
yup, my boy was doing this. He's got all the credentials and liscenses
Sep 22nd 2015
When they say they have to cover multiple schools, does that mean long h...
Sep 22nd 2015
my boy was probably doing close to 60 most weeks.
Sep 22nd 2015
      damn that's a lot of hours doing back breaking work
Sep 23rd 2015
Yup. Politics of the game
Sep 22nd 2015
hell nah and i pay self employment tax out the ass
Sep 22nd 2015
Yes! Union man for life!!
Sep 22nd 2015
What State are you in?
Sep 23rd 2015
yup and just gave a speech to the media and rally
Sep 23rd 2015

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59187 posts
Tue Sep-22-15 03:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "yup, my boy was doing this. He's got all the credentials and liscenses"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm pretty sure he was shuffling between 3 schools at a point. He had a 2nd kid and decided to switch to para to spend more time with his family tho.

talk about sacrifices...

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15895 posts
Tue Sep-22-15 03:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "When they say they have to cover multiple schools, does that mean long h..."
In response to Reply # 0

If they are working like 90 hrs a week, it might be justified.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59187 posts
Tue Sep-22-15 03:17 PM

3. "my boy was probably doing close to 60 most weeks."
In response to Reply # 2

More in the winter with the snow and other issues.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Wed Sep-23-15 10:14 AM

8. "damn that's a lot of hours doing back breaking work"
In response to Reply # 3

good for them...glad they're getting paid.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Tue Sep-22-15 03:44 PM

4. "Yup. Politics of the game"
In response to Reply # 0

The company wants to increase the workload but doesn't want to increase their numbers.

The company ends up paying us Time and a Half or Double Time to get the job done because its cheaper than hiring and training new candidates, then dealing with a short fall when the workload lessens.

I can count on 40...most weeks I'm working 50 to 55.

On the flip side tho? If it wasn't for the union....most of our functions would be outsourced to India.'

Ain't no loyalty so ain't none given. Dog eat dog.

D

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Sep-22-15 06:00 PM

5. "hell nah and i pay self employment tax out the ass"
In response to Reply # 0

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

BabyYoda
Member since Feb 15th 2012
3176 posts
Tue Sep-22-15 06:10 PM

6. "Yes! Union man for life!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I am in it until I retire or die, whichever comes first.

Cam
Charter member
13287 posts
Wed Sep-23-15 10:11 AM

7. "What State are you in?"
In response to Reply # 6

Do you mind sharing which Union?

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Wed Sep-23-15 12:58 PM

9. "yup and just gave a speech to the media and rally"
In response to Reply # 0

on behalf of the union! i'm a public school teacher and if i can help it won't be found in a non-unionized public, charter, or private school. we just threatened to strike and after months of organizing and negotiations were able to secure class size caps, a school counselors ratio, and a 10% raise. as a result of course our district, LA, is now the clear target for the privatization (de-unionized charter) crowd, and we're hitting back like we did with our major rally. i saw myself on the news during the NFL halftime news clips at a bar for the raider game later haha

Lobby General Discussion topic #12900246 Previous topic | Next topic