Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12890472

Subject: "Hillsboro High students walk out over transgender dispute(swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Sep-01-15 01:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Hillsboro High students walk out over transgender dispute(swipe)"

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/hillsboro-high-students-walk-out-over-transgender-dispute/article_be488fab-d239-5944-9733-32f569dcdc32.html

Hillsboro High students walk out over transgender dispute
Print Email
Transgender Student Drops Class After Hundreds Protest For And Against Her

In the middle of last school year, Lila Perry came out as transgender. Before that, she had been living as a gay male.
But that’s not who she really was. No longer was she going to pretend, Lila said.

So this year, she told teachers and administrators at Hillsboro High School, where she is a senior, that she would no longer be content to use a unisex faculty bathroom. She wanted to be treated like other female students, including access to bathrooms and locker rooms for girls.

Her decision spread quickly through the small Jefferson County school district and, on Monday morning, students at Hillsboro High School walked out in protest. During the walkout, Lila was locked in the principal’s office. She said she and administrators worried about her safety.

The student walkout came on the heels of a School Board meeting Thursday that drew a large crowd — parents concerned that Lila is getting special rights at the expense of other students. Most of the students at Monday’s protest were opposed to accommodations for her. A smaller group gathered in support.

“The girls have rights, and they shouldn’t have to share a bathroom with a boy,” said Tammy Sorden, who has a son at Hillsboro High. It is fine to be different, she said, but it is not right to give Lila special treatment “while the girls just have to suck it up.”

Students and parents interviewed after the walkout were overwhelmingly in support of keeping Lila, 17, out of the school facilities for girls.

But the school’s gay-straight alliance and other supporters held a counterprotest to show that not everyone is in agreement. Some students on both sides left after school administrators broke up the protest. Supporters of Lila said they did not feel comfortable going back into the school.

Opponents said leaving school was a continuation of showing their position.

Lila said she has dropped out of her physical education class because there is little supervision and that makes her uncomfortable. And she rarely uses the bathroom now while at school. Still, Lila said, she should be able to use the facilities girls use.

“I wasn’t hurting anyone. I didn’t want to be in something gender-neutral,” she said, referring to the faculty bathroom administrators encouraged her to use. “I am a girl. I am not going to be pushed away to another bathroom.”

LEGAL ISSUES

High school administrators referred a reporter to Superintendent Aaron D. Cornman. He would not comment about the issue, which has become the talk of the community since classes began in mid-August. He said he had to protect the privacy of students.

He did, however, hand a reporter a written statement. It said, in part, that the district “respects the rights of all students and appreciates the fact that the students we are educating are willing to stand on their belief system and to support their cause/beliefs through their expression of free speech.”

Students were allowed to protest through second- and third-hour classes and then were asked to return to class.

Cornman’s statement also says that the district accepts all students “no matter race, nationality/ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation. We will promote tolerance and acceptance of all students that attend our district while not tolerating bullying/harassing behaviors of any type in any form.”

Lila said the school administration has been very supportive and is working to make her feel welcome. They have allowed her to use the facilities used by girls and women.

Districts that refuse to allow students to use a bathroom for the gender with which they identify could run afoul of the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights, said Kelli Hopkins of the Missouri School Boards’ Association.

“The Office of Civil Rights has issued an opinion that says, if you do this, you have engaged in gender discrimination,” Hopkins said. “At the same time, there is no case law or statute in Missouri that says this is against the law.”

Schools found to have violated a student’s civil rights are at risk of losing some of their federal funding, Hopkins said.

‘OUT IN PUBLIC’

Several people interviewed outside Hillsboro High on Monday argued that a student who still has male genitalia should not be allowed into a changing room with teenage girls.

“I’m not comfortable with it,” said Britney Heimos, a 2008 Hillsboro graduate who was at the school to pick up her brother. “There is nothing wrong with being different. But when you are different, there are sacrifices.”

Shortly after the protest, Jeff Childs, 47, and his son, Blayke, 21, both of Farmington, drove onto the high school parking lot with “Girls Rights Matter” painted on the sides and tailgate of the Ford pickup. When they were told by police to leave, they went to a Dollar General store, bought poster boards and markers and made signs that they held at the busy entrance to the high school.

“This needs to stop before it goes too far,” said Childs, who has a niece and a nephew who go to an elementary school in Hillsboro. “I’m not trying to be ignorant, but (the transgender student) is bringing it out in public for everybody else to deal with.”

Skyla Thompson, 16, refers to Lila as her best friend. She said Lila often stays at Skyla’s house overnight while Lila’s family tries to come to grips with their child identifying as transgender.

“She is such a good person. They are just judging her on the outside,” Skyla said of those who have been critical of Lila.

Lila wears a long brown wig, with bobby pins keeping the hair from her eyes. On Monday, her outfit included a short blue skirt and wedges.

“She is choosing her life to better herself, to better accept herself,” said friend Gianna Warfel, 16. “I don’t know what there is to discriminate about that. I really support the bravery she has.”

Hopkins, of the Missouri School Boards’ Association, said she is having to explain to school boards with more frequency how the federal government views treatment of transgender students.

“I got no calls on this five years ago,” she said. “I’ve gotten at least half a dozen recently.”

Koran Addo of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
did they really have to tell is aboit the wedges..lol
Sep 01st 2015
I reaaaaally donno how to feel about these cases.
Sep 01st 2015
Ain't it?
Sep 01st 2015
      how and why would they sue?
Sep 02nd 2015
           The school is going to reverse that decision...
Sep 02nd 2015
Parents of daughters: How would you feel about a "transgender female"...
Sep 02nd 2015
not terrible
Sep 02nd 2015
its a slippery slope in the sense if all a boy has to do is SAY he feels...
Sep 02nd 2015
still a girl even though she has a man's chromosomes and skeleton?
Sep 02nd 2015
i'm going to assume your not from the US with this part:
Sep 02nd 2015
It's a locker room not an 80s booby flick
Sep 02nd 2015
      THIS!!!!!
Sep 02nd 2015
Why not just have co-ed showers?
Sep 02nd 2015
lol
Sep 02nd 2015
It worked in Starship Troopers
Sep 02nd 2015
they'll get over it
Sep 02nd 2015
Here's where I have a problem:
Sep 02nd 2015

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Tue Sep-01-15 05:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "did they really have to tell is aboit the wedges..lol"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Sep-01-15 05:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I reaaaaally donno how to feel about these cases."
In response to Reply # 0

It's not even about sexuality, or about "a boy shouldn't be able to shower with girls because he desires them" since there's gay boys in the boys shower, and lesbians in the girls shower. It's just too complicated.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28847 posts
Tue Sep-01-15 05:23 PM

3. "Ain't it?"
In response to Reply # 2

This person is going to sue the district for discrimination at some point. This situation takes time and understanding which is not something that seems available at the moment.

We need to see both sides of the equation. Student could've gone about this in a better way. At least this did not turn violent.

StephBMore
Member since Sep 11th 2014
1373 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 08:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "how and why would they sue? "
In response to Reply # 3

They asked for accommodations, the school gave them the faculty bathroom. She then asked for permission to use the girl's room, the school said YES. The walk out is because of the school saying yes and allowing her to use the bathroom. The school system is doing all they can do to keep her safe. She can't sue just because the other kids don't like it. She states herself that the school allows her to use the girls and womens (teachers) rest rooms.

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28847 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 12:07 PM

9. "The school is going to reverse that decision..."
In response to Reply # 4

>They asked for accommodations, the school gave them the
>faculty bathroom. She then asked for permission to use the
>girl's room, the school said YES. The walk out is because of
>the school saying yes and allowing her to use the bathroom.
>The school system is doing all they can do to keep her safe.
>She can't sue just because the other kids don't like it. She
>states herself that the school allows her to use the girls and
>womens (teachers) rest rooms.

... and when they do THEN this person sues for discrimination. Another issue is harsh treatment from students. That in and of itself turns horrible at some point. This is such a fustercluck.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 09:33 AM

5. "Parents of daughters: How would you feel about a "transgender female"..."
In response to Reply # 0

in the girls locker room with YOUR daughter showering and walking around with their junk out?

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 10:35 AM

6. "not terrible"
In response to Reply # 5

I'd probably make sure my girl understood that Lila was different, but she was still a girl even though she may not look entirely like one.

it's not like Lila's any more likely to be molesting her or checking her out more than a 'normal' girl would be, so I'm not concerned for her safety or moral purity or whatever.

The exposure to the junk itself shouldn't be too much of a shocker fr the other girls, especially after sex ed and presumably sex for at least a percentage of the student body, and exposure to it in a non-sexual, demystified way might even be a positive thing.

And I *really* don't understand the furor over rest rooms... women use stalls, right? Why would someone even care if the woman in the stall next to her has a penis?

I would wager as well that the discrimination evidenced by folks who oppose allowing her to use the rest/locker rooms is about more than just a penis... it implies that if she were post-op, there'd be no question but she' be allowed to - but my money's on the thought that most of the people who have problems with it now would still have problems with it then.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 12:35 PM

10. "its a slippery slope in the sense if all a boy has to do is SAY he feels..."
In response to Reply # 6

girl to get in the girls locker room some regular dudes are going to start faking it just for the hell of it, lol

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 12:39 PM

11. "still a girl even though she has a man's chromosomes and skeleton?"
In response to Reply # 6

ok.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 03:37 PM

16. "i'm going to assume your not from the US with this part:"
In response to Reply # 6

>The exposure to the junk itself shouldn't be too much of a
>shocker fr the other girls, especially after sex ed and
>presumably sex for at least a percentage of the student body,
>and exposure to it in a non-sexual, demystified way might even
>be a positive thing.

There are still large parts of the country that debate the CONCEPT of Sex Ed, lol

Key
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2715 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 11:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "It's a locker room not an 80s booby flick"
In response to Reply # 5

I never took a shower in High School gym and i never saw anyone's junk. People just put shorts on when in gym and put pants back on when they leave.

So the more realistic question is would you mind seeing them in their underwear for approximately 20 seconds a day and them seeing you in your underwear for approximately 20 seconds a day.

http://keymusic.bandcamp.com/album/apophenia

https://keymusic.bandcamp.com/

Hamsterline
Charter member
4004 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 03:51 PM

17. "THIS!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 10:50 AM

7. "Why not just have co-ed showers?"
In response to Reply # 0

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 12:47 PM

12. "lol"
In response to Reply # 7

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 01:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "It worked in Starship Troopers"
In response to Reply # 7

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4551 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 01:14 PM

13. "they'll get over it"
In response to Reply # 0

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 02:03 PM

15. "Here's where I have a problem:"
In response to Reply # 0

she would
>no longer be content to use a unisex faculty bathroom. She
>wanted to be treated like other female students, including
>access to bathrooms and locker rooms for girls.

Nah you're just looking to start something

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

Lobby General Discussion topic #12890472 Previous topic | Next topic