Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12889759

Subject: "a question about Facebook pulling contact info from your phone" Previous topic | Next topic
seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6035 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 12:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"a question about Facebook pulling contact info from your phone"

ive never installed the facebook app on my phone and yet i am clearly getting friend suggestions on facebook that are coming from new entries in the contact list on my phone

example:
we have a recall roster at my job. a phone number list of everyone we work with.

ive had this list for 3 years and just now decided to add the number to my contacts and ditch the paper list

soon after i did it my coworkers (and friends of my coworkers) started showing up in my suggested friends list

i thought that was an app only thing

does that mean facebook is pulling contact info from you phone if you use your browser?

never istalled the app
and i also have never done one of those "login with your facebook" things either

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Is Instagram on your phone?
Aug 31st 2015
yes
Aug 31st 2015
      Maybe that's it. Facebook owns Instagram
Aug 31st 2015
           i have a different email addy for my IG
Aug 31st 2015

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 12:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Is Instagram on your phone?"
In response to Reply # 0

seasoned vet
6035 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 12:46 PM

2. "yes"
In response to Reply # 1

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 01:25 PM

3. "Maybe that's it. Facebook owns Instagram"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon Aug-31-15 01:26 PM by flipnile

I have IG on my phone, but not FB. I also haven't linked my phone number to either, but now I'm curious as to whether FB is suggesting friends based on what I do in IG (I think they share an email addy).

seasoned vet
6035 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 02:42 PM

4. "i have a different email addy for my IG"
In response to Reply # 3

but your right, its probably IG.

especially since (i forgot about this) FB recently had a popup that asked me if it had the right phone number. the number was right but ive never entered my phone number in FB.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12889759 Previous topic | Next topic