Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12887710

Subject: "Freddie Gray sold $146k of his settlement for around $18,300." Previous topic | Next topic
Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 01:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Freddie Gray sold $146k of his settlement for around $18,300."
Wed Aug-26-15 02:10 PM by Rjcc

structured settlement buyouts

they getting folk coming and going, smh
and the real looters walking off scott free

///
When Jones was 2 years old, his blood carried 16 micrograms — triple the level considered elevated — before shooting to 28. Then it dropped to 16 before rising to 22. Even at age 8, lead still coursed at high levels in his bloodstream. Soon, he was repeating grades, failing classes.

One psychologist, court records show, doubted his employability, citing his “severe learning difficulties.” He put his lifetime economic loss at more than $1.5 million. Another medical professional couldn’t determine whether Jones, who repeated several grades, was “severely disabled” or just “generally disabled.”

“His mother essentially handles his medical regimen, takes him to doctors and makes sure he gets his medications,” pediatrician Michael A. Conte said in a deposition. “She, obviously, takes care of all the financial matters. And she transports him, or his girlfriend transports him, when he needs to travel to places that involves more than just walking down the street.”

But an affidavit written by ­Access Funding and signed by Jones in 2013 said Jones wanted to sell $90,000 of his settlement for $26,000 to “purchase a vehicle.” The money, the affidavit said, would also be used to “look for work and also need furniture, clothes, school supplies for my young daughter.”

But Jones has a son, not a daughter. And Jones has never had a driver’s license. Within months of buying a Ford sedan, Jones collected four tickets for operating a vehicle without a license. That car today bakes in the sun, unused.

Months later, Jones struck another deal with Access Funding. This time, he signed two contracts. One relinquished $327,000 worth of future payments, with a present value of $179,000, for $16,000 in return. Another deal, later dismissed, offered $34,000 for a stream of payments that totaled $336,000 and had a present value of $195,000. In all, Jones seemed willingto sell $663,000 of his settlement for $50,000.

The official reason stated in the two spring 2014 affidavits was puzzling. Jones, who had just bought the house he and his mother share using money from a structured-settlement deal, hadn’t needed to pay rent for months. But he signed an affidavit compiled by Access Funding saying he intended “to purchase down payment on a house. Because I am currently unemployed, renting is expensive and detracts from my ability to provide suitable housing for myself and my dependent.” The other affidavit said: “Renting is an expense I no longer wish to incur.”

Burkowski, Access Funding’s chief executive, said he could only speculate as to what happened. “We take what is told to us,” he said. “These are people, respectable people who have honest needs. If they say they need a house, it’s not Access Funding’s position to challenge what that client is representing to us. We’re trying to help these people.”

It’s help that Jones said he could have done without. “The whole thing’s a scam,” said Jones, claiming Access Funding made up why he needed the money. “All that money I got is gone. They gave me pennies.”

half a million dollar settlement sold for under $63k
https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2015/08/25/Local/Graphics/2300-ACCESS-web-v2.jpg?uuid=czVuDEt9EeWAwhBup_uA1A

full story

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/how-companies-make-millions-off-lead-poisoned-poor-blacks/2015/08/25/7460c1de-0d8c-11e5-9726-49d6fa26a8c6_story.html

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I was confused, thought this was about F. Gary Gray, then Farah Gray
Aug 26th 2015
I read the post title as f. gary gray
Aug 26th 2015
      i did too until i clicked a link to the story
Aug 26th 2015
that lead paint money all over bmore. unfortunately, i've seen it spent
Aug 26th 2015
even more unfortunately they aint even getting the full settlements
Aug 26th 2015
just changed it so people would know not F Gary.
Aug 26th 2015
damn
Aug 26th 2015
that was devastating to read
Aug 26th 2015
us not knowing about money is our biggest achilles heel
Aug 26th 2015
yup. people sell annuity settlements for lump sums all the time.
Aug 26th 2015

Cam
Charter member
13287 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 01:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I was confused, thought this was about F. Gary Gray, then Farah Gray"
In response to Reply # 0

Great article though!

JellyBean
Charter member
16875 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 02:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I read the post title as f. gary gray"
In response to Reply # 1

"Holier than thou never sits well with me."(c)janey

"OKP spends way too much time looking for ways to be offended." ~legsdiamond

http://twitter.com/jeleighbean

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 02:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "i did too until i clicked a link to the story"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 02:02 PM

3. "that lead paint money all over bmore. unfortunately, i've seen it spent"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Aug-26-15 02:12 PM by BigJazz

mainly on depreciating assets. people ball out for a short period of time and end up as bad off as they were before they got it.

it's messed up that nearly a generation of people got poisoned and the affects will be effected for the rest of their lives and generations behind them. ain't enough settlement money fixing that.

lawyers got/gettin paid big time off it.

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 02:26 PM

5. "even more unfortunately they aint even getting the full settlements"
In response to Reply # 3

and the ppl negotiating are... the +victims of lead paint poisoning+

and more and more im seeing how dirty or biased some 'impartial' judges can be

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Rjcc
Charter member
95003 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 02:30 PM

6. "just changed it so people would know not F Gary."
In response to Reply # 0

I read that article, it's so infuriating

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

unfukwitable
Charter member
22112 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 04:20 PM

7. "damn"
In response to Reply # 0

======================================
http://www.zuitomedia.com/

Latina212
Member since Apr 28th 2003
8731 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 05:21 PM

8. "that was devastating to read"
In response to Reply # 0

seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6070 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 05:27 PM

9. "us not knowing about money is our biggest achilles heel"
In response to Reply # 0

us learning/teaching about money would change the game

PROMO
Charter member
31082 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 06:13 PM

10. "yup. people sell annuity settlements for lump sums all the time."
In response to Reply # 0

there are actual business segments at many financial institutions that specialize in these buyouts.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12887710 Previous topic | Next topic