Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12884154

Subject: "Murph: VIBE--Eazy-E: The Ruthless Life Of An American Gangsta (SWIPE)" Previous topic | Next topic
murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 06:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Murph: VIBE--Eazy-E: The Ruthless Life Of An American Gangsta (SWIPE)"
Thu Aug-20-15 06:41 AM by murph71

An excerpt of my cover story on the man who ignited N.W.A.: Eric "Eazy-E" Wright. A lot went into this. There's always more to the story...From his son Lil Eazy E and N.W.A. cohorts (Ice Cube, Yella, Ren, and Dre), inside baseball colleagues like LA rapper/radio DJ The Poetess and Eazy proteges Will.i.am (Black Eyed Peas) and Krayzine Bone (Bone Thugs N Harmony), I attempted to give the full Eazy-E story with no bullshit....Enjoy, Tweet, Instagram and read this entire Straight Outta Compton companion at http://www.vibe.com/featured/vibe-eazy-e-cover-story/

A LONG taste below of a very long story (5000 words and counting)....Peace.....

------

Eazy-E: The Ruthless Life Of An American Gangsta
Written By Keith Murphy

Eric Wright, Jr. could not make out what all the fuss was about. This was not at all shocking considering that the six-year-old boy lovingly known as Lil’ E by friends and family had other priorities on his particularly focused mind. It was the summer of 1989 and at the fabulous Los Angeles Forum, Junior’s notorious father, Eric “Eazy-E” Wright, was onstage performing with his provocative group N.W.A.—a five-man, gun-toting, censorship-igniting, F.B.I.-agitating crew brazenly self-billed as The World’s Most Dangerous Group.

For the purpose of this story, it’s best not to dwell on the question of whether a rap concert featuring arguably hip-hop’s most controversial group—who defiantly proclaimed themselves N*ggaz Wit Attitudes—was a suitable place for a child who would have trouble getting on the rides at Disney Land. Let’s just say Compton was in the house. And so was one of the biggest pop stars on the planet.

“I remember watching the show from the backstage,” recalls the rapper, who years later fittingly goes by the name of Lil Eazy-E. Although he is taller than his stocky 5-foot-5 pops, he shares his father’s strikingly deceptively, youthful gaze. “I was standing right next to Janet Jackson! I didn’t pay it any mind because I was really into the show. When we all got back home my uncle was like, ‘Well, guess who was standing next to Janet Jackson and didn’t say a word to her?’ My father would always clown me about that . He was like, ‘How you gonna stand next to Janet and not say anything to her?’”

This Father Knows Best moment is brought to you by Eazy-E.

When fanboys and girls, the curious and skeptics packed theaters to see legendary hip-hop outfit N.W.A. in the big screen release of Straight Outta Compton (which hauled in a box-office busting $60.2 million dollars, shattering first weekend projections), onlookers witnessed the former drug dealer/unlikely rapper and Ruthless Records impresario’s very same impish spirit in all its Jheri curl, Raiders hat glory.

But it was far from all smiles. Lead lyricist O’Shea “Ice Cube” Jackson, groundbreaking producer, Andre “Dr. Dre” Young, the criminally underrated Lorenzo “MC Ren” Patterson, jovial Antoine “DJ Yella” Carraby and enterprising visionary Eazy—who in 1995, shockingly died of complications from AIDS—raised a conspicuous middle finger at Ronald Reagan’s conservative white America that definitely wasn’t of the belief that #BlackLivesMatter. Suddenly, damn near the entire world was put on to Compton, the small yet troubled Los Angeles suburb of which N.W.A. proudly represented.

“I didn’t think a studio would have the courage to make … not the way I wanted it made,” admits an in-a-daze Cube to VIBE. He is holding court at the Beverly Hills’ regal Four Seasons Hotel during a manic press day. A primary producer on Straight Outta Compton alongside Dre, Eazy’s widow Tomica Woods-Wright and the film’s veteran director F. Gary Gray, the Tinsel Town powerhouse is still getting used to the reality that the hell-raising story of N.W.A. has been given the Hollywood red carpet. “At any moment I was ready to bounce because it was like, ‘Yo, if we can’t do this right we shouldn’t do it at all.’”

Let’s get it out of the way. Cube gets ample credit (and deservedly so) in Straight Outta Compton for being N.W.A.’s chief wordsmith. In fact, compared to the lyrically gifted Mr. Jackson, Eazy had the lyrical prowess of a mischievous fifth grader who smirked incessantly after being sent to the corner for disrupting class. He didn’t write his own rhymes, still a cardinal sin within hip-hop–apparently unless your name is Drake. And E was totally devoid of the peerless production genius of Dr. Dre. But he had something else just as important: authenticity.

“He never seemed like he was playing a role,” recounts Black Eyed Peas leader Will.i.am, who was discovered and signed to Ruthless Records by Eazy in 1992. “When you listened to N.W.A. you forget that Cube went to college and that Dre was in an electro funk band called World Class Wreckin’ Cru. That’s how real Eazy was. He was the one in the group that really was driving the ‘64 and hustling drugs in the streets to survive.”

Throughout rap’s 40-plus year run, no one else, for better or worse, personified the genre’s hustler-gone-legit trope more than Eric Wright. His DNA is everywhere: from James Prince (Rap-A-Lot) and Brian “Baby” Williams (Cash Money Records) to Shawn “Jay Z” Carter (Roc-A-Fella), Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson (G-Unit) and Anthony “Top Dawg” Tiffith, founder and CEO of Top Dawg Entertainment, the label home of acclaimed hip-hop golden child and Compton native, Kendrick Lamar.

According to Top Dawg president Terrence “Punch” Henderson, Eazy-E cast a mammoth shadow over West Coast rap, its culture and beyond. “The line ‘Cruising down the street in my 64’ created gangsta rap,” says Henderson of the sentence Eazy squeezed out on N.W.A.’s bruising 1987 introduction “Boyz-n-The Hood.” “If any other person would have said those words that Ice Cube wrote, history would be completely different. But Eazy was what Gangsta Rap and the West Coast looked like. Decades later, he IS the image of Southern California.”

Eazy-E kicks off N.W.A.’s cinematic retelling with a bang during a scene ripped right out of Compton’s wild mid-80s drug epidemic. After dropping off some coke to a fortified crack house, our anti-hero demands payment only to be threatened at gunpoint. Within seconds, police show up with a battering ram as a resourceful Eazy runs like hell, alluding a pitbull and cops as he scampers away over a rooftop.
Credit: Getty Images

It’s an A-level opening that finds Straight Outta Compton cinematographer Matthew Libatique in grandiose form. But it would not work if we didn’t believe the story of the forward-thinking Eazy-E, who at the age of 23 saved up a little over $250,000 from dealing drugs and flipped some of that cash to build Ruthless Records. His ridiculously talented homeboy Dr. Dre had dreams of making records that not only rivaled his favorites like Run-D.M.C., but also captured the infectious grooves of the stellar funk and soul records that littered the floor of his bedroom.

Dre wanted Eazy to bankroll a new group that would include brilliant South Central spitter Ice Cube, the strong and steady MC Ren and scratch master DJ Yella. It was a no-brainer for E, but when he was asked to join the future N.W.A., the lyrically-challenged Wright thought the notion was laughable. The rest of the group, however, saw something special within Eazy-E. His Ruthless imprint would not only feature himself and N.W.A., but universally praised Texas rapper The D.O.C., girl power hip-hop trio J.J. Fad, lethal Cali duo Above The Law, platinum R&B vocalist Michel’le, and much later, melodic Grammy-winning Cleveland spitters Bone Thugs-n-Harmony. Eazy-E simply had an innate gift for scouting talent. “He would tell me, ‘Your songs don’t match the energy of your freestyles,” remembers Will.i.am. “Eazy signed me because I could freestyle and make beats. Think about what Black Eyed Peas became. Years later we would sell out stadiums, sell millions of albums, and travel the f**king planet. There’s a person by the name of Eazy-E that saw that before we even figured that out.”

Then there was Eazy’s infectious delivery and a wise-a** attitude which enabled the cartooned voice Wright to keep tabs on his lovable persona. Never mind that N.W.A. was on an incendiary mission to drop uncompromising testimony of the violent, dope-plagued politics of the streets. “Little did he know I had a loaded 12 gauge/One sucker dead, L.A. Times front page…” Eazy darkly mused on “Boyz-n-The Hood.” No, this wasn’t “Rapper’s Delight.”

The “Boyz-n The Hood” experience came to life while shooting the radical album cover for N.W.A.’s second and final solo album, Efil4zaggin (Niggaz 4 Life). Eazy-E’s ballsiness and creative mind made for an experience Peter Dokus (the photographer behind this VIBE cover image) would never forget. “I found a real crack house that had gotten shut down a couple of days before. We shot a picture in front of three, four, five hundred people. They shut it down. Cops came in, helicopters came in.” Once again, a risk taken by Eric Wright would prove iconic.

Two years earlier in 1989, when Eazy was asked by influential hip-hop journalist and former San Francisco KALX radio DJ Davey D if N.W.A. had a responsibility to help end the violence that was smothering urban American cities like Compton, he fired back: “When the motherf**kin’ police can’t do sh**?…If you could just put out a record and it could stop violence you *wouldn’t* need police, we’d just need to do records: ‘Stop robbing banks, stop snatching purses.”

Public Enemy frontman Chuck D witnessed N.W.A.’s explosive ascent first hand after giving the hungry upstarts an opening slot on P.E.’s 1989 Bring The Noise tour. The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer walked away impressed following a series of gigs despite the act’s rough start.

“I remember they played at *New York’s legendary Harlem venue* the Apollo and it was not a good night,” says Chuck, whose mighty Bomb Squad production unit went on to produce Ice Cube’s landmark 1990 solo debut AmeriKKKa’s Most Wanted. “N.W.A. did not cut it in Harlem the first time around, but they definitely got better. They were saying, ‘We are going to talk about where we are at instead of where we want to be.’ That was very powerful.”

“It was no holds barred,” MC Ren detailed of the group’s uncompromising message during a live-streamed conversation at the YouTube campus in West Los Angeles in support of promoting the then upcoming film.” Eazy said, ‘Do whatever you want to do. We don’t have nobody telling us we can’t curse on the records, whatever we wanted to talk about we can talk about.’ We went through so much, it was just so simple when we got in there and wrote what we saw.”

With such unapologetic statements as the aforementioned “Boyz,” the hilariously cautionary “Dope Man,” and the anthemic title track to their double platinum album, Straight Outta Compton, N.W.A. presented themselves as America’s worst nightmare: young, black and giving no f**ks whatsoever. If Ice-T gave birth to West Coast reality rap with his epic 1986 game changer “6 in the Mornin’,” N.W.A. unleashed an even harder, scarier genre: gangsta rap. Even when the group was asked to contribute to the all-star anti-violence anthem “All In The Same Gang”—the West Coast’s answer to KRS-One’s successful East Coast-backed “Self Destruction”—it was on N.W.A.’s own terms.

Multi-platinum selling producer and founder of Murder Inc. Records, Irv Gotti, recalls watching the video a coast away in his family’s Queens, New York home and being particularly floored by a certain pint-sized provocateur. “Eazy-E’s verse on is the illest verse to me because he’s like…’Eazy-E, the violent hero,’ laughs Gotti. “‘Everyone else talking peace, but I ain’t gonna tell you that!’ When he was on Arsenio Hall with the hockey mask on… Arsenio would ask him a question and Eazy would lean over to MC Ren, whisper something in his ear, and Ren would be like, ‘Eazy said…’ His persona was, ‘even though I’m not writing a lick of this sh**, I’m the one.’”

On his platinum 1988 solo debut Eazy-Duz-It, he gave an actual tutorial on breaking and entering (“Easily made my way to the window…”). The absurdity of it all was not lost on Nelson George, producer of the howling 1993 Chris Rock comedy film CB4. The too-close-to-home romp mercilessly parodied the gangster-or-bust obsessions of N.W.A. and others. “Chris came to me with the idea for what he called the rap Spinal Tap,” says George, author of the mystery novel The Lost Treasures of R&B. “He came back with the frame for Cell Block 4 and some of the hilarious MC names like Dead Mike and Stab Master Arson. ‘Straight Outta Locash’ was basically our take on N.W.A.’s ‘Straight Outta Compton.’ We felt like they had taken hip-hop to a point that was almost wrestling; a kind of over-the-top craziness. We felt like no band represented that more than N.W.A.”

George, however, was totally won over during a meeting with Eazy, who made a scene-stealing cameo in CB4. “I showed him a picture of Chris as MC Gusto, who is basically wearing an Eazy-E outfit with the Jheri curl and Locs sunglasses. Eazy chuckled…he totally got it! I discovered that Eazy thought the whole thing was a joke. Not just CB4, but the outrage N.W.A. was generating. I just got the sense from him that he really enjoyed the theater part of it.”

But beyond the jokes, N.W.A. managed to make some revolutionary protest music. “F**k Tha Police” immortalized the act as rebel outlaws to be taken seriously. “F**king with me ‘cause I’m a teenager/With a little bit of gold and a pager/Searching my car, looking for product/Thinking every n***a is selling narcotics,” a fiery Cube testified before threatening payback for years of daily harassment and police brutality. “Ice Cube will swarm on any motherf**ker in a blue uniform…A young n***a on the warpath/And when I’m finished, it’s gonna be a bloodbath!”

When “F**k Tha Police” was featured on a 1990 episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show, N.W.A. and other rap and rock acts were presented as proof that society had plummeted to the all-time low depths of fire and brimstone. For their troubles, the guys were sent a cease and desist letter from the FBI to stop all live performances of what law enforcement agencies believed to be a song that promoted violence against cops. Black church leaders and community activists protested N.W.A.’s brand of self-proclaimed “street knowledge.” CDs and records were literally steamrolled. Politicians called out names. Will.i.am explains, “Listening to N.W.A. was like kicking it with my homeboys down the street. It was somebody that you knew like your uncle or your cousin who was harassed by the police, face down and getting searched. All the things we were going through in the ‘hood, N.W.A. was now talking about in songs.” Shit got real.

Safe to say N.W.A. had no clue that “F**k Tha Police” would in 2015 become the soundtrack for many outraged protesters fighting against what they believe to be the systematic targeting of African-Americans (and specifically black men) by trigger happy, overly aggressive cops. Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Freddie Gray all could have been members of N.W.A. “There are a lot of kids out there in places like Ferguson, Baltimore, McKinney, Texas and Staten Island,” says Will Packer, the Hollywood powerhouse who serves as executive producer of Straight Outta Compton. “There are a lot of kids in those areas that see the success story of a Dr. Dre, Ice Cube or Eazy-E and say, ‘I can rise above what I see around me everyday.’ That’s what I love about the Straight Outta Compton story.”

Dr. Dre insists that N.W.A. never expected to reach music icon status. “Keep in mind we weren’t serious about becoming superstars, or anything like that,” he says. “We just wanted to be popular in our town.” But Eazy-E never let the fellas forget that they didn’t call it the record “business” for nothing. The Straight Outta Compton film captures the brilliant moment when Wright decides to use the FBI threat as a marketing tool. He realized that the federally-backed letter could be used to sell hundreds of thousands of more copies of N.W.A. albums. We are, after all, talking about the same calculating ‘hood PT Barnum figure that appeared on the album cover of Straight Outta Compton menacingly pointing a gun.

For Gray, filming Straight Outta Compton was a surreal experience. “I’ve known these guys for a very long time…I’m from Los Angeles and that era,” says the South Central native. “I’m a huge N.W.A. fan, but I feel like Straight Outta Compton is my life as well. This film is personal for me.” DJ Yella sees the movie as proof that fearlessness pays off. “We did what we wanted to do, and we didn’t let the FBI, MTV banning us, no radio play, nothing ,” he proudly boasts of his group’s accomplishments. “And the message behind the movie is young people, whatever you are: a painter, writer, whatever it is—if you got a passion for it, just do it; don’t let nothing stop you and don’t change it.” Sometimes, however, N.W.A. took their passion too far.

The charming Eazy was trying to keep up with his public image of the meta gangsta. During their now infamous 1991 interview with Spin Magazine, the act, sans Cube, cranked up the misogyny dial to 100 when conversation turned to Dr. Dre’s much publicized beating of television show host Dee Barnes (the incident was completely brushed over in Straight Outta Compton). Eazy-E: “If the b**ch can sue, he should just kill her…it’s cheaper. I seen everything. He grabbed the b**ch by the little hair that she had. Threw the bitch to the bathroom door. Pow! She hit her head, he just start stomping on the bitch… She was f**ked up worse than Rodney King .” *Ed’s Note: Dre recently addressed his past abusive relationship with former Ruthless artist Michel’le, who he shares a child with, and his assault of Barnes in Rolling Stone Magazine’s August 14th, 2015 issue stating: “I made some f**king horrible mistakes in my life. I was young, f**king stupid. I would say all the allegations aren’t true. Some of them are. Those are some of the things that I would like to take back.”*

—–

Needless to say, the task of capturing N.W.A.’s counterculture rebellion on screen proved to be an unenviable mission for Gray and the writers attached to Straight Outta Compton. Good thing there are several standout performances. Oscar-nominated Paul Giamatti delivers an at times unflinchingly comedic and unflattering portrayal of Eazy-E father figure and manager, Jerry Heller, who members of N.W.A claimed ripped them off in a classic shady music man fashion. (Heller remains steadfast to this day that he did nothing of the sort, with the telling of his side in the 2006 tell-all book, Ruthless: A Memoir.)

But the majority of the heavy lifting in the R-rated project—which was tossed around several film studios until it finally found a home and suitable budget ($29 million) at Universal Pictures—was executed by a trio of unknowns that took on the primary roles of Ice Cube, Eazy-E, and Dr. Dre. Cube’s doppleganger of a son, O’Shea Jackson, Jr., effortlessly captures his father’s complex, eyebrow-raising boil. No nepotism here. Junior had to earn his spot. “It’s all within the preparation,” he says. “We went through bootcamp; I had two years of auditions, call backs and flying out with acting coaches.”

The prep was also followed with confidence building for the young actors.

“Ice Cube, Tomica, Yella, Ren…everybody was there and we felt like they wanted us to succeed,” says Cory Hawkins, charged with channeling future Beats headphones near-billionaire Dr. Dre. “But F. Gary Gray is a genius,” the Juilliard-trained thespian offers as praise for Gray in helping guide the newcomers through some heavy, real-life moments. One scene in particular, the emotional point where Dre receives a phone call on tour that his beloved baby brother Tyree has died after a fight that left him with a broken neck. Packer continues the Gray lovefest: “I have to give respect to Gary. He was somebody that was truly passionate about this project. I remember when I first sat down with him to talk about Straight Outta Compton. We discussed his upbringing and his history in South Central. I think it’s rare that you have a filmmaker of Gary’s skillset who is directing a story that is so near and dear to them.”

But it was New Orleans native Jason Mitchell, in his first starring role, who was entrusted with bringing to life the biopic’s most layered character Eazy-E—arguably the heart and soul of Straight Outta Compton. “Jason is from the streets of New Orleans,” Gray says. “He’s been through some things. He gave a world class performance and I think part of it is there is a little Eazy in him.” Indeed, it always comes back to Eazy-E.

Mitchell admits that it was Wright’s widow that contributed a critical first hand blueprint of her late husband’s inner-politics. “Tomica really just let me know that there was no gimmick,” testifies the breakout Mitchell. “What you see is what you get. Eazy was not a made-up character, even though he sounds like a bigger-than-life person. She really wanted to just feel me to see if I had that capability of having that expansion within myself.”

For the rest go to: http://www.vibe.com/featured/vibe-eazy-e-cover-story/

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
awesome read as usual murp
Aug 20th 2015
RE: awesome read as usual murp
Aug 20th 2015
Take note,---this is how you write !!!!
Aug 20th 2015
RE: Take note,---this is how you write !!!!
Aug 20th 2015
RE: Murph: VIBE--Eazy-E: The Ruthless Life Of An American Gangsta (SWIPE...
Aug 20th 2015
Aug 20th 2015
Great read, thanks!
Aug 20th 2015
RE: Great read, thanks!
Aug 20th 2015
I've not listened to SOC in over 20 years. due to this piece, I've been....
Aug 20th 2015
Dope. Commenting so I can read later.
Aug 20th 2015
RE: Dope. Commenting so I can read later.
Aug 20th 2015
props!
Aug 20th 2015
RE: props!
Aug 21st 2015
Aug 20th 2015
Aug 20th 2015
Fantastic article man.
Aug 20th 2015
RE: Fantastic article man.
Aug 20th 2015
Great read. What made the read even more interesting to me was
Aug 20th 2015
RE: Great read. What made the read even more interesting to me was
Aug 20th 2015
Aug 20th 2015
Aug 20th 2015
really enjoyed! especially enjoyed
Aug 20th 2015
RE: really enjoyed! especially enjoyed
Aug 20th 2015
thanks, great read
Aug 20th 2015
RE: thanks, great read
Aug 21st 2015
I read the whole thing on vibe.com. very very excellent
Aug 21st 2015
RE: I read the whole thing on vibe.com. very very excellent
Aug 23rd 2015
Well done as always Murph
Aug 21st 2015
RE: Well done as always Murph
Aug 23rd 2015
you did a fantastic job Bro
Aug 22nd 2015
RE: you did a fantastic job Bro
Aug 22nd 2015

aolhater
Member since Oct 14th 2002
1332 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 08:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "awesome read as usual murp"
In response to Reply # 0

*professional lurker*

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 09:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: awesome read as usual murp"
In response to Reply # 1

Tips cap....

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 08:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Take note,---this is how you write !!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 09:23 AM

4. "RE: Take note,---this is how you write !!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Just grinding homie...Thanks for the dope words....

Tiggerific
Member since May 24th 2007
13451 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 09:30 AM

5. "RE: Murph: VIBE--Eazy-E: The Ruthless Life Of An American Gangsta (SWIPE..."
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for sharing, Murph. Great read

"We don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents" - Bob Ross

"I'm wearing a MSU Tshirt because I went to MSU, you are wearing a UM Tshirt because you went to Walmart!" -unknown.

http://bjsquirrelchronicles.blogspot.com

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 09:31 AM

6. "RE: Murph: VIBE--Eazy-E: The Ruthless Life Of An American Gangsta (SWIPE..."
In response to Reply # 5

>Thanks for sharing, Murph. Great read

*daps*

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 09:33 AM

7. "Great read, thanks!"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-20-15 09:34 AM by TheAlbionist

If this doesn't make me a pedantic dickhole....

>Within seconds, police show up with a
>battering ram as a resourceful Eazy runs like hell, alluding a
>pitbull and cops as he scampers away over a rooftop.

Editor seemingly missed that this should say eluding rather than alluding.

))<>((
forever.

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 09:44 AM

8. "RE: Great read, thanks!"
In response to Reply # 7

>If this doesn't make me a pedantic dickhole....
>
>>Within seconds, police show up with a
>>battering ram as a resourceful Eazy runs like hell, alluding
>a
>>pitbull and cops as he scampers away over a rooftop.
>
>Editor seemingly missed that this should say eluding rather
>than alluding.

yep yep.....

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 10:07 AM

9. "I've not listened to SOC in over 20 years. due to this piece, I've been...."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-20-15 10:21 AM by Creole

listening to it for the last hour. Maybe the nostalgia has me blinded but it doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would.

Awesome piece!

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 10:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Dope. Commenting so I can read later. "
In response to Reply # 0

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 10:10 AM

11. "RE: Dope. Commenting so I can read later. "
In response to Reply # 10

Cool....let me know what u think when u read the entire piece......

JtothaI
Charter member
17134 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 01:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "props!"
In response to Reply # 0

will read all of this when I have more time, but grabbed a peek, looks great!

murph71
23113 posts
Fri Aug-21-15 11:21 AM

24. "RE: props!"
In response to Reply # 12

>will read all of this when I have more time, but grabbed a
>peek, looks great!

Thanks homie....

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 01:59 PM

13. "RE: Murph: VIBE--Eazy-E: The Ruthless Life Of An American Gangsta (SWIPE..."
In response to Reply # 0

Great read

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 02:20 PM

15. "RE: Murph: VIBE--Eazy-E: The Ruthless Life Of An American Gangsta (SWIPE..."
In response to Reply # 13

Thank u!

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 02:17 PM

14. "Fantastic article man. "
In response to Reply # 0

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 02:22 PM

16. "RE: Fantastic article man. "
In response to Reply # 14

A pound given.....

lightworks
Member since Feb 17th 2006
5818 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 02:24 PM

17. "Great read. What made the read even more interesting to me was "
In response to Reply # 0

I found his Eazy clip on YouTube last week where he was interviewing Dr Dre and he's talking about...Janet!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7iLp4XMTfJo

So your anecdote about Janet was extra awesome to me.

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 03:08 PM

18. "RE: Great read. What made the read even more interesting to me was "
In response to Reply # 17

>I found his Eazy clip on YouTube last week where he was
>interviewing Dr Dre and he's talking about...Janet!
>
>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7iLp4XMTfJo
>
>So your anecdote about Janet was extra awesome to me.

Yeah...dude had a serious crush on Janet....

The funny part to me is the image of Janet Jackson at a fucking NWA show...ha!.....I didn't even mention in the story that Magic Johnson was there....At that point in '89 NWA was just about as counter cultural as you could get in popular music and beyond....I can't imagine Janet blasting "Dope Man..."....lol....But she probably did....

RHETTMATIC
Member since Dec 04th 2003
217 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 05:50 PM

19. "RE: Murph: VIBE--Eazy-E: The Ruthless Life Of An American Gangsta (SWIPE..."
In response to Reply # 0

As a person that grew up during this era....from listening to 1580AM KDAY & 1230AM KGFJ, getting mixtapes (or at least some dubs) & records from the Rodium Swap Meet (Rest In Peace Steve Yano), seeing Eazy E dropping off records at Tempo Records (old mom & pop record store that I used to shop at) in Cerritos, seeing Dr. Dre spin live with the World Class Wreckin Cru & Uncle Jam's Army at Studio K inside Knott's Berry Farm in Orange County, coming up with & knowing Will 1 X aka Will.I.Am during the days of Atban Klan, as well as knowing personally some of the (LA) music industry heads mentioned in this article....I want to say that this article is incredible & was well written.

This article & the movie "Straight Outta Compton" brought back a lot of memories as a Filipino kid who was a Hip Hop nerd growing up in Southern California during the 80's & 90's.

Bigups on the article good sir....Salute!

Rhettmatic
Beat Junkies

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 07:47 PM

21. "RE: Murph: VIBE--Eazy-E: The Ruthless Life Of An American Gangsta (SWIPE..."
In response to Reply # 19

Heartfelt words, homie......Thanks!

Scarface_7
Charter member
10012 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 06:09 PM

20. "really enjoyed! especially enjoyed "
In response to Reply # 0

the way you traced the legacy. Loved the quotes picked (Krayzie, Will.i.am, gotti) and the conclusion. This is how music journalism should always be done. Sharing on fb and twitter, congrats dude and thanks for the words!

..._...|..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|] = = = D @Warwizard

...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
COTW Afficianado, Dro

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 07:48 PM

22. "RE: really enjoyed! especially enjoyed "
In response to Reply # 20

>the way you traced the legacy. Loved the quotes picked
>(Krayzie, Will.i.am, gotti) and the conclusion. This is how
>music journalism should always be done. Sharing on fb and
>twitter, congrats dude and thanks for the words!

Thanks for that support...For real....

musiclover86
Member since Jul 20th 2015
123 posts
Thu Aug-20-15 09:50 PM

23. "thanks, great read"
In response to Reply # 0

< --- my first crush

murph71
23113 posts
Fri Aug-21-15 11:22 AM

25. "RE: thanks, great read"
In response to Reply # 23

Salute....

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Fri Aug-21-15 12:10 PM

26. "I read the whole thing on vibe.com. very very excellent"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm not an NWA fan and never was but i enjoyed this very much

murph71
23113 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 05:51 AM

30. "RE: I read the whole thing on vibe.com. very very excellent"
In response to Reply # 26

>i'm not an NWA fan and never was but i enjoyed this very
>much

Thanks homie...

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Fri Aug-21-15 03:27 PM

27. "Well done as always Murph"
In response to Reply # 0

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

murph71
23113 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 05:56 AM

31. "RE: Well done as always Murph"
In response to Reply # 27

All love, dog....

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Aug-22-15 02:26 AM

28. "you did a fantastic job Bro"
In response to Reply # 0

as someone who listened to all those acts and i still got my Mechell'le tape,DOC tap, NWA,etc.. in my old block JJ fad had crazy love.

anybody who knows me,knows that Ice Cube is still one of all time favorite rappers he is in my top 5,always been.

i remember so much of that like it was yesterday.

still remember watching them on yo.

had the EP to 100 miles and running.

Eazy was the blueprint to Suge,puffy,all them

matter of fact Eazy did what RUssell Simmons did except he had a actual career,but eazy understood the full picture.

he deserves his props long overdue.

you nailed it man. props and respect

it could arguably be said they were the true Big 3. i mean
its mind blowing.

peace

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

murph71
23113 posts
Sat Aug-22-15 10:30 AM

29. "RE: you did a fantastic job Bro"
In response to Reply # 28

Respect.....

Lobby General Discussion topic #12884154 Previous topic | Next topic