Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12882359

Subject: "Talking Cars On Tuesday: Clean and Shine version" Previous topic | Next topic
spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 11:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Talking Cars On Tuesday: Clean and Shine version"

The one thing that I semi-hate about having a new(ish) car is the need to keep it looking new(ish) as long as possible. For the past month I've been hitting the innanets watching as many detailing tips as possible. My wife is ordering my first DA polisher and I've got over $150 in wash, wax, polish and seal tools set to be ordered. The sad thing is, I stopped giving 2 fucks about the L200 in its older years (and definitely after the first engine was replaced). Apparently my wash technique has been wrong for 3 decades (2 bucket wash seems the way to go). Anybody have any favorite wash/wax/tire shine stuff they go with? Or is everybody rolling dirty?

After a few months with the Fusion, I can definitely say I REALLY like this thing. It's far from perfect, but you could stand to do much worse for a family sedan. I think because Ford has to sell this in the UK (Mondeo) they couldn't really skimp out on some fit and finish details or the chassis settings. Across the pond, the Mondeo has to fight against crossover/CUVs (as every midsize sedan does everywhere), but also the lower end 3 series and C class (we're talking base model repmobiles) so bells and whistles have to be baked in, and a good spirited ride is a must. Still, you can see how they tried to hide some of the cost cutting. Take the door. The parts that you touch (say the top of the door or the arm rest) is padded/soft touch material. The inner door card, where your arm would brush against, isn't quite the same material, as it would have cost more, but in a padded fabric similar to the seats, which keeps the illusion up. The bottom of the door, however? Straight up Tupperware status. BUt at least it looks cohesive

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Im terrible with it...
Aug 18th 2015
Bi-weekly at worst, weekly at best with a detail in between
Aug 18th 2015
about to trade in the Bimmer...(smh)
Aug 18th 2015
My brother had one as a long term rental. He loved it
Aug 18th 2015
totally appropriate.
Aug 18th 2015
w/ bluetooth, you don't so much need the aux in
Aug 18th 2015
yeah. I think it's good to have 'just in case'
Aug 18th 2015
i'm always bluetooth'd in my Fusion. i keep the iPod attached to the USB...
Aug 18th 2015
USB, check. Bluetooth, check. RCA inputs, check? Aux, natch
Aug 18th 2015
I'm a fan of all Mothers products, aint no one seein them...
Aug 18th 2015
Meguiars would likely say different
Aug 18th 2015
      i'll check them out
Aug 18th 2015
agreed on all counts about the fusion
Aug 18th 2015
the rear seat especially
Aug 18th 2015
The Taurus has a HUGE packaging problem
Aug 18th 2015
      they've got it in a spot where it can't win. it's expensive
Aug 18th 2015
           I'd go Edge Sport w/ the 2.7 Ecoboost, but you're right
Aug 18th 2015
Maintenance Wash videos
Aug 18th 2015
I did mine a couple weeks ago
Aug 18th 2015
That's my plan once the polisher gets here
Aug 18th 2015

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 12:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Im terrible with it..."
In response to Reply # 0

I've washed my new car maybe 4 times in a year....

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 12:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Bi-weekly at worst, weekly at best with a detail in between"
In response to Reply # 1

I know I annoy my neighbors, and I'm annoying myself. But that Fusion is sparkling, and once the Focus is detailed...boy oh boy

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

select_from_where
Member since Jan 03rd 2011
4342 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 12:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "about to trade in the Bimmer...(smh)"
In response to Reply # 0

its about time though, its a 07 and has had more problems than it should at this stage.

anyone had experience with the Hyundai sonata hybrid, looking at that pretty tough...

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 12:23 PM

4. "My brother had one as a long term rental. He loved it"
In response to Reply # 2

It's not a Camry hybrid, so there's one thing at least

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 12:35 PM

5. "totally appropriate."
In response to Reply # 0

Volvo getting detailed today. I skipped last year, and was going to this year until I hit the edge of the garage door backing out.

Most of the time, the Volvo looks younger than it is. however, that repair bill I just go...
>After a few months with the Fusion, I can definitely say I
>REALLY like this thing. It's far from perfect, but you could
>stand to do much worse for a family sedan. I think because
>Ford has to sell this in the UK (Mondeo) they couldn't really
>skimp out on some fit and finish details or the chassis
>settings. Across the pond, the Mondeo has to fight against
>crossover/CUVs (as every midsize sedan does everywhere), but
>also the lower end 3 series and C class (we're talking base
>model repmobiles) so bells and whistles have to be baked in,
>and a good spirited ride is a must. Still, you can see how
>they tried to hide some of the cost cutting. Take the door.
>The parts that you touch (say the top of the door or the arm
>rest) is padded/soft touch material. The inner door card,
>where your arm would brush against, isn't quite the same
>material, as it would have cost more, but in a padded fabric
>similar to the seats, which keeps the illusion up. The bottom
>of the door, however? Straight up Tupperware status. BUt at
>least it looks cohesive

I had the Fusion while in Boston a couple weeks ago, and I really liked it. It was a SE trim, with a USB port (no AUX-IN apparently), and the Sync system. The infotainment controls were the only thing that took me a while to figure out. The actual driving was pretty dope. It's quiet as hell (only noise I heard was when the window was open). The steering wheel really is the only clue to its place in the automotive pecking order. Even in the low trim, it just feels pretty solid. And yeah, there's some Tupperware.

Real talk, I would just go with that one, and use your phone for everything if you can.

The only gripe I had about that car was visibility. I didn't feel comfortable checking my mirrors, looking to my sides or behind me. At least there's a backup camera.

But it's the only car where I could drive slow or fast and not be disoriented at all, coming off the Volvo.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 12:54 PM

7. "w/ bluetooth, you don't so much need the aux in"
In response to Reply # 5

some people complain about compression, but *shrug* I'm usually listening to soundcloud streams anyway

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 01:15 PM

9. "yeah. I think it's good to have 'just in case'"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue Aug-18-15 01:15 PM by Dr Claw

>some people complain about compression, but *shrug* I'm
>usually listening to soundcloud streams anyway

I was looking all over for it, and it was even referenced in the manual (even though technically I didn't need it). I think that base system is really all you need. Prop the phone up on something.

I never got to drive the previous gen, but this might be the GOAT Ford midsizer (stateside anyway). Best one since the OG Taurus.

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 01:42 PM

11. "i'm always bluetooth'd in my Fusion. i keep the iPod attached to the USB..."
In response to Reply # 7

that way, i stream from Spotify, Soundcloud mostly.

if i want my iPod stuff it's there, but w/ streaming i hardly access it.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 03:08 PM

13. "USB, check. Bluetooth, check. RCA inputs, check? Aux, natch"
In response to Reply # 5

Since I have an ipod, I keep that plugged into one of the USB ports (the MFT setup has 2 USB ports, which is nice). Bluetooth streaming works for convenience, and sucks for sound quality. But that's a known quantity and is pretty much the same in any car/phone setup you'll get, so my expectations on sound quality are tempered. If I really had some esoteric player that didn't have USB or bluetooth I could go cop a 3.5mm to RCA cable and use that (I'm sure a have a few at the house now), but the chances of needing that are slim.

>I had the Fusion while in Boston a couple weeks ago, and I
>really liked it. It was a SE trim, with a USB port (no AUX-IN
>apparently), and the Sync system. The infotainment controls
>were the only thing that took me a while to figure out. The
>actual driving was pretty dope. It's quiet as hell (only noise
>I heard was when the window was open). The steering wheel
>really is the only clue to its place in the automotive pecking
>order. Even in the low trim, it just feels pretty solid. And
>yeah, there's some Tupperware.

The MFT system isn't that hard to figure out. Give it a day and you're pretty familiar with it, either using the touch screen or the buttons on the steering wheel (which is usually what I do). If it weren't so unfreakingbelievably slow. I swear the stock Sync setup is faster. I'll probably do a video of both since my wife has the Focus and compare the reaction times of both setups. But yeah, even if you get the base model, you still get a solid car, solid (but stark) interior and a nice ride. Can't really ask for more unless you're stepping up to another class vehicle

>Real talk, I would just go with that one, and use your phone
>for everything if you can.
>
>The only gripe I had about that car was visibility. I didn't
>feel comfortable checking my mirrors, looking to my sides or
>behind me. At least there's a backup camera.
>
>But it's the only car where I could drive slow or fast and not
>be disoriented at all, coming off the Volvo.

Big Kuntry
Member since May 09th 2010
14866 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 12:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I'm a fan of all Mothers products, aint no one seein them..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.motherscarcare.com/

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 03:11 PM

14. "Meguiars would likely say different"
In response to Reply # 6

Especially if you step to their detailer line. But their OTC Gold Class or Mirror Glaze lineup is no slouch either.

As it stands, I'm picking up a few Chemical Guys products (VSS compound/polish, JetSeal, Blacklight glaze) and some Collonite 845 wax. Applying it all with a Meguiars MT-300 DA polisher.

Big Kuntry
Member since May 09th 2010
14866 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 04:05 PM

18. "i'll check them out"
In response to Reply # 14

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 12:55 PM

8. "agreed on all counts about the fusion"
In response to Reply # 0

I did not know until the other day that even tho it's a mid size and the current taurus is a full size, it actually has more headroom and legroom.

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 01:17 PM

10. "the rear seat especially"
In response to Reply # 8

>I did not know until the other day that even tho it's a mid
>size and the current taurus is a full size, it actually has
>more headroom and legroom.

Even with how I have the seat placed, I can sit behind myself. Immediately I knew that this was probably Ford's best product in ages.

the current Taurus is a "Ford-skinned" Volvo S80 (or at least that's how I view it), and like the S80, its backseat is some BS for a car in its class.

I almost wish that slot could be taken up by the Falcon. Especially since I don't think Panther fans really warmed up to the Taurus in the wake of the Crown Vic's demise

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 02:59 PM

12. "The Taurus has a HUGE packaging problem"
In response to Reply # 8

It's big on the outside, but interior room is not maximized at ALL. The Fusion is smaller on the outside, but uses the interior space much better than the Taurus, which is 'full size' only in exterior dimensions. I think if Ford moves the Taurus to a stretched version of the CD4 platform it will make a world of difference

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 03:40 PM

16. "they've got it in a spot where it can't win. it's expensive"
In response to Reply # 12

but has less room (other than trunk space) and is less useful than the two best alternatives that ford itself sells (Fusion and Explorer)

If I were going to get a Taurus I'd want the AWD SHO, and if I were going to spend that much, I'd just get an Explorer Sport

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 04:00 PM

17. "I'd go Edge Sport w/ the 2.7 Ecoboost, but you're right"
In response to Reply # 16
Tue Aug-18-15 04:01 PM by spenzalii

Ford has a car that really has no place or value other than the Taurus name itself, which isn't nearly as valuable as it was in the late 80s. The SHO hustles for its size, but there's no real need for it considering it's other flaws that it can't outrun. It's a shame too, as I always had a soft spot for the SHO. Pops still has his '95 SHO that he bought off the lot. It's time has come after 20 years, as there are more rattles, shakes, leaks, etc than it's worth to fix (and that Yamaha V6 was always a bitch to work on, and not every dealer or shop know how to work on it). We both seriously worry that it will simply catch fire as he's going to work one day. The intake runners were prettier than anything this side of an Alfa Romeo though.

Ford isn't the only one with that kind of problem. Look at Nissan with the Altima. If you got the V6, there was little reason to get the Maxima, and Nissan spent 2 generations trying to make it viable. People still bought it (mostly black people, because of the Max name), but it really wasn't any better than the Altima, and more expensive. The jury is out on the latest Max. I think tone of the few companies that managed to separate their mid size from their full size model was Chrysler. But then again, it was hard not to, as the 300/Magnum/Charger was a big RWD bruiser built on hand me down Mercedes parts, and the 200 was a sad, sad POS that somebody at Cerberus conned Eminem to shill for Detroit.

If the Chinese version of the Taurus is anything to go on, the new version here in the States should fix a lot of those packaging problems. Whether they do enough to differentiate it from the Fusion remains to be seen.

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 03:37 PM

15. "Maintenance Wash videos"
In response to Reply # 0

Apparently, we're washing our cars wrong

https://youtu.be/uWmtLSQYbys

https://youtu.be/nVXLg6bCIEo

Larry K seems to be one of the detailers to the stars (he got a call from Bugatti, so that means something), so I'll trust his word and technique most of the time. While CG is out to sell product (and suckered me in for a good deal of their product. That Honeydew wash is the business...), their technique is quite similar, so there has to be something to it

osu_no_1
Member since Feb 26th 2003
9414 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 06:11 PM

19. "I did mine a couple weeks ago"
In response to Reply # 0

Wash, clay, polish, wax

Took like 3 hours, it looked so great though.

It got a lot of the swirls out too, I think the polish helped a lot.

Then it rained 2 days later so I didn't get to enjoy it for too long.

But it does still look really clean when I wash it.

I did some of the interior last weekend, the front, next weekend will be the back

spenzalii
10982 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 09:30 PM

20. "That's my plan once the polisher gets here"
In response to Reply # 19

Wash (foam cannon, the honeydew wash w/ 2 bucket setup)
clay (I have the Eagle One prep mitt, but I want a Nanoskin towel or mitt)
wash (possibly, just with foam cannon to get rid of anything from the clay)
polish (Chemical Guys VSS scratch & swirl remover, with the DA )
glaze (CG Blacklight, which can act as a final polish)
seal (CG JetSeal)
wax (Collonite 845)

Lobby General Discussion topic #12882359 Previous topic | Next topic