Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12881854

Subject: "Army Ranger School to graduate its first female students ever (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Jay Doz
Member since Dec 13th 2005
8663 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 07:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Army Ranger School to graduate its first female students ever (swipe)"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/08/17/history-made-first-female-soldiers-to-graduate-army-ranger-school/

Two female soldiers will graduate from the Army’s grueling Ranger School on Friday, becoming the first women to ever complete what is considered one of the U.S. military’s most difficult and premier courses to develop elite fighters and leaders, a senior Army official said.

The accomplishment marks a major breakthrough for women in the armed services at a time when each of the military branches is required to examine how to integrate women into jobs like infantryman in which they have never been allowed to serve. But even as the two new female graduates will be the first women allowed to wear the prestigious Ranger Tab on their uniforms, they still are not allowed to try out for the elite 75th Ranger Regiment, a Special Operations force that remains closed to women and has its own separate, exhausting requirements and training.

The women will receive the Ranger Tab alongside dozens of male service members in a ceremony at Fort Benning, Ga., the home of Ranger School’s headquarters, a senior Army official said Monday night. The official spoke on condition of anonymity while the Army finalized a news release.

The event is expected to draw not only family and friends, but hundreds of well-wishers and media from across the country. The female graduates are expected to speak to the media for the first time Thursday alongside instructors and other soldiers at Ranger School.

The women have not been identified by the Army, but both are officers and graduates of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., Army officials said. The female graduates started Ranger School on April 20 alongside 380 men and 17 other female soldiers in the first class to ever include women. The female soldiers were allowed into Ranger School as part of the Army’s ongoing assessment of how to better integrate women.

A female Ranger student tackles rappel training during the second phase of Ranger School at Camp Frank D. Merrill in northern Georgia on July 12. (Photo by Staff Sgt. Scott Brooks/ U.S. Army)
Some skeptics, especially in the military, have questioned whether the women were given an easier path to graduation. But senior Army officials have insisted that is not the case, and opened Ranger School to media for a few days during each phase to underscore the point and allow Ranger instructors and others involved in their evaluation to speak.

The course includes three phases: The Darby Phase at Fort Benning, the Mountain Phase in northern Georgia’s Chattahoochee National Forest and the Florida Phase on and around Eglin Air Force Base on the Florida Panhandle. About 4,000 students attempt Ranger School each year, with some 1,600 — 40 percent — graduating. They include some service members who serve in the Ranger Regiment, but also many others who serve in jobs ranging from military police to helicopter pilot.

The course is 61 days for students who complete each phase on the first try. But only a minority do so. In the April class, for example, 37 of the 380 male students — about 10 percent — advanced directly through training, graduating earlier this summer. The remainder of the students — including all of the women — have struggled more than that.

The nineteen female students were whittled to eight in April during an initial assessment that includes everything from chin-ups to push-ups to an exhausting 12-mile road march through Fort Benning’s hills while carrying a full combat load. All eight women then failed the first Darby Phase twice, and only three were allowed to try Ranger School again. They did so as a “Day 1 recycle,” an option that is offered on occasion to both men and women who excel in some aspects of Ranger School, but fall short in something specific that can be improved.

Soldiers take on Ranger School's challenging mountain phase
Play Video3:06
Students at Ranger School attend the Mountain Phase course based at Camp Frank D. Merrill in northern Georgia. Those who completed it must next pass the Florida Phase, operating in swamps. (Video courtesy the U.S. Army)
Two of the three women left then passed through the Mountain Phase on the first try in July, and completed the 17-day Florida Phase over the weekend. The third woman was held back in the Mountain Phase last month; her status was not immediately clear Monday night.

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
How much did FET (female engagement teams) play a part in these doors be...
Aug 17th 2015
I think the effect of the FETs is a bit overstated
Aug 18th 2015
      Had no idea it went that far back
Aug 18th 2015
if they did it with out the easier path props to them
Aug 17th 2015
the article basically says that they didn't
Aug 18th 2015
      no it doesn't.
Aug 18th 2015
           actually it does.
Aug 18th 2015
                oh okay.
Aug 18th 2015
I can't imagine how much dumb shit they had to endure just to make it.
Aug 17th 2015
beast mode.
Aug 18th 2015
we're in a new normal
Aug 18th 2015
Enemy already does that with Women civilian workers
Aug 18th 2015
is it really?
Aug 18th 2015
we're fighting dudes who want to wrap your girl in sheets bro
Aug 18th 2015
No it isn't and by the time the enemy gets to them our soldiers have
Aug 18th 2015
      there is an appeal to war for a certain kind of person
Aug 18th 2015
      wait, what?
Aug 23rd 2015
           What I'm getting at is despite the fact that sexual assault is common
Aug 23rd 2015
perfect sig. 'does it really matter?'
Aug 18th 2015

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 07:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "How much did FET (female engagement teams) play a part in these doors be..."
In response to Reply # 0

At this point, that might be one of the few good things to come from Iraqi freedom And Afghanistan

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 07:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I think the effect of the FETs is a bit overstated"
In response to Reply # 1

Considering the limits of their scope and utilization. I think it says more about the modern Army and how we reshaped our military to respond to our counter-insurgency strategy rather than the FETs. FETs got a lot of publicity, but women have been leading and supporting combat operations for the entirety of the wars. Everything from clearing MSRs ahead of security patrols or logistics convoys, partnered patrolling with local law enforcement agencies (training those individuals on insurgent interdiction and detention operations), or even delivering rotary-wing aviation support on board multi-million dollar gunships. That and women have been serving on Battalion- and Brigade-level staffs for decades, overseeing everything from operations planning to the command and control of maneuver assets. I think all of this did more to build this reality that had the policy wonks at the Pentagon scratching their heads--how can we say that we don't want women in these roles when we're already sending them out into the sticks three times a day to find insurgents or clear IEDs?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformation_of_the_United_States_Army

Gender segregation doesn't really make sense in our modular brigade framework IMO. “Men do this, women do this” made sense in the silos created by the old regimental system, I suppose--but the end of the Cold War made that delineation obsolete, and I think the segregation is an anachronism from that era.

-------
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." - TR

Amritsar
32093 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 09:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Had no idea it went that far back"
In response to Reply # 4

Guess that's why I asked you lol

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 10:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "if they did it with out the easier path props to them"
In response to Reply # 0

I really hope that's the truth

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 08:35 AM

7. "the article basically says that they didn't"
In response to Reply # 2

Mike Jackson
Member since Dec 11th 2008
1093 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 09:12 AM

10. "no it doesn't."
In response to Reply # 7

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 09:56 AM

13. "actually it does."
In response to Reply # 10

Mike Jackson
Member since Dec 11th 2008
1093 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 10:55 AM

16. "oh okay. "
In response to Reply # 13

Castro
Charter member
50750 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 11:58 PM

3. "I can't imagine how much dumb shit they had to endure just to make it."
In response to Reply # 0

Props to them no matter what.

------------------
One Hundred.

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 08:02 AM

5. "beast mode."
In response to Reply # 0

good for them

still shouldnt be in combat. first woman thats kidnapped & held as a POW by the enemy...well...you know what she will get

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

Jay Doz
8663 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 08:11 AM

6. "we're in a new normal"
In response to Reply # 5

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-11-06-lynch_x.htm

-------

Amritsar
32093 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 09:02 AM

8. "Enemy already does that with Women civilian workers"
In response to Reply # 5

Like that one young girl who was reportedly raped by baghdadi

It's kind of a big fuck you to them for us to send women soldiers into battle so I love it

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 09:14 AM

11. "is it really?"
In response to Reply # 8

>It's kind of a big fuck you to them for us to send women
>soldiers into battle so I love it

Amritsar
32093 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 10:48 AM

15. "we're fighting dudes who want to wrap your girl in sheets bro"
In response to Reply # 11

and put her in the cupboard lol

Even if ISIS fighters never actually see one of these women on the battlefield - they know about it. Thats enough of a fuck you to them.

Psychological warfare part of the game too brah

(yeah yeah I know about the all-women isis police force in Mosul. They're an exception)

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 09:22 AM

12. "No it isn't and by the time the enemy gets to them our soldiers have"
In response to Reply # 8

likely already done their worst. Personally I don't get it, but one woman told me if a woman wants to be desired by a lot of men she joins the military. Plus maybe for some women-- the idea of sexual assault isn't that big a deal-- sort of like how some men don't fear death. I don't know. War is the enemy of the poor though-- that much I do know.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 10:02 AM

14. "there is an appeal to war for a certain kind of person"
In response to Reply # 12

And yes the type of women who joined the marines for example were invariably not cute but utter bad asses esp physically. And we're promptly scooped by higher ranking NCOs soon as they came on base.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 12:29 PM

18. "wait, what?"
In response to Reply # 12

>Plus maybe for some women-- the
>idea of sexual assault isn't that big a deal-- sort of like
>how some men don't fear death. I don't know. War is the enemy
>of the poor though-- that much I do know.

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 02:36 PM

19. "What I'm getting at is despite the fact that sexual assault is common "
In response to Reply # 18

In the military (man/men to woman and man/men to man) it's odd that women still sign up in the numbers that they do. It's hard to believe that the risks are unknown although that may very well be the case in some instances. So perhaps there's a type of woman who weighs that and says "I hope it doesn't happen, but if so, than so be it." or somehow finds the reward to be worth the risk.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 01:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "perfect sig. 'does it really matter?'"
In response to Reply # 5

b/c the answer is 'no'.

lol

fuck you.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12881854 Previous topic | Next topic