Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12864768

Subject: "At what age do/did you give up on your dreams?" Previous topic | Next topic
Firecracker
Member since Feb 20th 2007
1892 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 04:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"At what age do/did you give up on your dreams?"
Mon Jul-27-15 04:49 PM by Firecracker

This is a question for people grinding to live off their talent(s) in a creative field

A dream that you worked on for years and one day you woke up & realized you had to reassess your plans? What made you give up and put your lofty ambitions to rest?

If no, more in general - when hustlin and sweating to get where you «need to be» - When do the scales tip from being persistent & determined to just straight up foolish? 28? 45? Never?

Edit: Obviously this depends, nobody's trying to be a struggling rapper in their late 40s... While having dreams of being a music producer in your late 30s aint *AS* bad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
... her name is cree.
Jul 27th 2015
oh. re: the post. you give up when you don't notice any improvement
Jul 27th 2015
Keep going for how long?
Jul 27th 2015
      well, you'll eventually die. so there's that.
Jul 27th 2015
           I like this
Jul 27th 2015
Impossible to say because people are so damn unrealistic. Yet...
Jul 27th 2015
Don't you think being unrealistic
Jul 27th 2015
      It's levels to it all. Like, I have a homeboy from Florida who swore tha...
Jul 27th 2015
           That quote from your boy
Jul 27th 2015
           I feel like if you heard him at the time, it was laughable mainly becaus...
Jul 28th 2015
           I don't think these kinds of dreamers are genuine...
Jul 27th 2015
                This too ^^^
Jul 27th 2015
                Shit. Yeah that is for sure. And I feel too many of them feel they have ...
Jul 28th 2015
This is one of the more depressing recurring post. Don't Ever Give Up!!...
Jul 27th 2015
yeah. maybe he should post some work so we can really give him an
Jul 27th 2015
      Yo it shouldn't even be about the quality of the art.
Jul 27th 2015
           tough call. im all about the quality.
Jul 27th 2015
           Quality should matter tho
Jul 27th 2015
                How do you know you're talented?
Jul 27th 2015
                     How do you know you're intelligent?
Jul 28th 2015
Let's be for real. Most people aren't working very hard...
Jul 27th 2015
Yeah, 10000 hour rule is the one.
Jul 27th 2015
35 generally
Jul 27th 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywJsSsX_4Bg
Jul 28th 2015
Never
Jul 27th 2015
...I almost hit my folks in a chat... "we need to convert this...
Jul 27th 2015
The APATHY (c)
Jul 28th 2015
NEVER
Jul 27th 2015
NEVER!
Jul 27th 2015
Never
Jul 27th 2015
AMEN!
Jul 28th 2015
Never give up on your dream but some point you gotta become...
Jul 28th 2015
whatever age you have kids lol
Jul 28th 2015
Yeah doing you when you got a mini-you
Jul 28th 2015
^this
Jul 28th 2015
I didn't realize I still wanted to play in the NBA until I was like 30
Jul 28th 2015
Where you playin ball actively from b4 8th grade
Jul 28th 2015
No dreams, just goals.
Jul 28th 2015
you should never give up the dream....
Jul 28th 2015
Nice.
Jul 28th 2015

Kwesi
Member since Jan 11th 2004
7370 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 04:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "... her name is cree."
In response to Reply # 0

http://yooying.com/creejah

Kwesi
7370 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 04:55 PM

2. "oh. re: the post. you give up when you don't notice any improvement"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-27-15 04:57 PM by Kwesi

when you're doing/sounding/creating the same as you did the previous year(s) ... you aint going no where.

but if you're constantly progressing in your craft's ability. you owe it to yourself to keep going.

Firecracker
1892 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 05:20 PM

4. "Keep going for how long? "
In response to Reply # 2

Somehow you're bound to improve if you stay working at your craft for years, at least a little bit by bit. Does that mean you should just keep going forever?

Kwesi
7370 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 05:25 PM

6. "well, you'll eventually die. so there's that."
In response to Reply # 4

but at the end of life, you want to minimize regret.

someone in your ear telling you need to quit that shit? fuck them.
you think you one-record away from the BIG ONE? go for it.
you aint getting no sleep, cause you up all night making beatz? those are the breaks.

Firecracker
1892 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 05:39 PM

11. "I like this"
In response to Reply # 6

^

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 05:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Impossible to say because people are so damn unrealistic. Yet..."
In response to Reply # 0

they will quote Will Smith on how "being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity" n shit.ANY

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Firecracker
1892 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 05:23 PM

5. "Don't you think being unrealistic"
In response to Reply # 3

... is necessary to a certain degree?

To me it seems like people who DONT have the chops / talent / ability are the ones who quote Will Smith, M Ali and Napoleon Hill the hardest - while the really naturally gifted people are the ones struggling with self doubt and are getting in their own way a whole lot. The latter being the group of people who - at least talent wise - are the ones who actually has a shot.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 06:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "It's levels to it all. Like, I have a homeboy from Florida who swore tha..."
In response to Reply # 5

Rap was for him, and he even said "God wouldn't have blessed me with this talent if I wasn't meant to become a famous Rapper." Yet, he nearly quit college, and he never had ANY success as a rapper. He would do the typical showcases where he had to sell tickets for $10 a piece, and he'd have 7-8 people at each show. And he wasn't horrible, but just didn't have it.

It's really a tough thing to say. I think the issue is that most people I know who aspire to use their "talent" are always in the same damn lane...rapper, singer, actor/actress, maybe producer. For those who dream of being a lawyer, I can't say that's "unrealistic" although it's extremely difficult. With a lot of talent/image based fields, it's not just about how hard you work, or how "lucky" you are, with whatever "luck" means.

So to answer your question, yeah, you basically have to be realistic. But then, hearing Fetty Wap, Bobby Shmurda and Trinidad James say that they STARTED rapping within the same damn year of making the biggest hits of the last few years...makes me wonder why folks will go 15 years thinking they'll still make it.

Firecracker
1892 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 06:22 PM

16. "That quote from your boy"
In response to Reply # 14
Mon Jul-27-15 06:24 PM by Firecracker

Is only laughable if he aint make it. Thats some shit early era Kanye would say and people would find it motivational cos he eventually had the success to back the pretentious crazy talk all the way up.

How does the saying go? People will kill you over time with tiny little phrases like 'be realistic'. Lol

But yea there's definitely levels to it

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 11:13 AM

39. "I feel like if you heard him at the time, it was laughable mainly becaus..."
In response to Reply # 16

he definitely didn't have any "it" quality to him at alllll...it was all just bland, rip off Field Mob style rap that wasn't even enough personality to grab you. But yeah, if Kanye had said it, it would be monumental

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 06:25 PM

17. "I don't think these kinds of dreamers are genuine..."
In response to Reply # 14

I seriously doubt they're grinding and studying rap or singing or whatever 5-10 hours a day for years. I mean if someone was to do that and dedicate their life to it, they might not become a pop star like fetty wop or Ciara, but they could probably make money producing, ghost writing being a session musician, back up singer, part of a broadway cast etc. Plenty of people do it and happily because they love music so much and can't imagine doing anything else and it's not about the fame.

Firecracker
1892 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 06:31 PM

18. "This too ^^^"
In response to Reply # 17

YES.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 11:14 AM

40. "Shit. Yeah that is for sure. And I feel too many of them feel they have ..."
In response to Reply # 17

reach a certain level of success in order to be successful. Like, if they aim to be Halle Berry, anything short of being a star in a Top 5 grossing film is a failure to them. But it's true, most of them don't put in the work they really need to put in.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49501 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 05:26 PM

7. "This is one of the more depressing recurring post. Don't Ever Give Up!!..."
In response to Reply # 0

Unless you got mouths to feed and real responsibility you should be taking care of.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

Kwesi
7370 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 05:28 PM

8. "yeah. maybe he should post some work so we can really give him an"
In response to Reply # 7

honest assessment.

i'd be glad to let you know if you're wasting your time or not.

all this 'hypothetical posting' aint gonna help nobody understand shit.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49501 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 05:30 PM

9. "Yo it shouldn't even be about the quality of the art. "
In response to Reply # 8

It should be about enjoying what you do. The question is if someone told you you will name achieve fame or fortune from your art, would you still do it?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

Kwesi
7370 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 05:32 PM

10. "tough call. im all about the quality. "
In response to Reply # 9
Mon Jul-27-15 05:33 PM by Kwesi

i figured if he wanted to just have fun doing whatever, he wouldn't even be this torn enough to make a post about it.

his dream, it seems, is to become successful at it. right?

Firecracker
1892 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 05:43 PM

12. "Quality should matter tho"
In response to Reply # 9

Its not so much a DONT GIVE UP type question, I'm just curious as to when and why people threw in the towel along the(ir) way.

I know I'm talented enough, and tbh I might care a bit too much about quality - which is a good thing on one side, while it also fucks with you and your enjoyment of creating it cos ur own product rarely / never live up to your idea of «good enough».

ndibs
12715 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 07:37 PM

21. "How do you know you're talented? "
In response to Reply # 12

>
>Its not so much a DONT GIVE UP type question, I'm just curious
>as to when and why people threw in the towel along the(ir)
>way.
>
>I know I'm talented enough, and tbh I might care a bit too
>much about quality - which is a good thing on one side, while
>it also fucks with you and your enjoyment of creating it cos
>ur own product rarely / never live up to your idea of «good
>enough».
>
>
>
>

Firecracker
1892 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 02:30 AM

27. "How do you know you're intelligent?"
In response to Reply # 21
Tue Jul-28-15 02:48 AM by Firecracker

Or pretty or smart etc

Yea, I thinks its fair to say I am talented. And this is not a «God gave me all this talent it would be a sin to let it go to waste!» thing, but yeah I'm definitely talented ENOUGH. I've been given many enough opportunities along the way and a few people I really look up to and respect have told me this and I believe them, kinda wish I'd believe em more at times (peace 2 all my self-doubting, struggling artist brothers & sisters out chea). Not being arrogant I just put it out there in response to the previous poster, I just wanted to make it clear I wasn't in this post looking for sympathy daps or anything

ndibs
12715 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 06:00 PM

13. "Let's be for real. Most people aren't working very hard... "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-27-15 06:04 PM by ndibs

What does Malcolm glad well call it? The 10000 hour rule? Basic premise is people who succeed are generally doing something 5-10 for hours a day for a decade or more.

I had no idea about this. But pro baseball umpires literally have to do 10 years in the minor league before they get to the majors. They ump basically every day from February (preseason) to October or November. Then like 1% make the cut. Once they do they make 6 figures. But few will stick it out making 20-30k for 10yrs getting in the 10000 hours.

Anyway a lot of success is about being the one who's willing to grind it out. I've met plenty of people who make a living as fine artists. It's not so much talent but really hard work. A lot of them keep regular hours and are grinding 7/8/9/10 hrs and really treat it like a business and most have as much or more formal training as lawyers.

Firecracker
1892 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 06:12 PM

15. "Yeah, 10000 hour rule is the one. "
In response to Reply # 13

Great answer.

rdhull
Charter member
33144 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 06:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "35 generally"
In response to Reply # 0

Firecracker
1892 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 02:35 AM

28. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywJsSsX_4Bg"
In response to Reply # 19

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 07:31 PM

20. "Never"
In response to Reply # 0

dude

Walk On
Member since Apr 04th 2005
8344 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 07:52 PM

22. "...I almost hit my folks in a chat... "we need to convert this..."
In response to Reply # 0

...shit in the the every day..."

...gotta make that leap... but feel like I'm waiting on someone to yell, "Jump!"

<--- #LoveCitees

message brought to you by...

www.onustees.com

Firecracker
1892 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 02:45 AM

29. "The APATHY (c)"
In response to Reply # 22

Please jump.

Those lil currents of «holy shit I really need to step my focus / game up» should be utilized and taken advantage of to THE FULLEST.

Johnny
Charter member
4447 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 08:30 PM

23. "NEVER"
In response to Reply # 0

give up on your dreams

GirlChild
Charter member
56004 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 08:44 PM

24. "NEVER!"
In response to Reply # 0

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 11:08 PM

25. "Never"
In response to Reply # 0

if you give up, just put a gun to the doom,
Because life is long.

If you don't wannabe a 40 year old rapper,
Become a ghostwriter or something similar
that gives you that fire

Firecracker
1892 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 02:46 AM

30. "AMEN!"
In response to Reply # 25
Tue Jul-28-15 02:46 AM by Firecracker

Or, «co-sign» for my heathens

Big Kuntry
Member since May 09th 2010
14866 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 01:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "Never give up on your dream but some point you gotta become..."
In response to Reply # 0

realistic.

tingum
Member since Apr 07th 2007
662 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 03:09 AM

31. "whatever age you have kids lol"
In response to Reply # 0

-----

god blessin all the trap niggas.

Firecracker
1892 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 03:35 AM

33. "Yeah doing you when you got a mini-you"
In response to Reply # 31

Is definitely gonna change a few things lol

Mack
Charter member
7372 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 10:22 AM

38. "^this"
In response to Reply # 31

once you're responsible for another life, it isn't solely about you any more...need to put the kid's needs in front of your own.

"Dressed up like an evil villain dressed up like a soccer dad"

Rjcc
Charter member
95000 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 03:17 AM

32. "I didn't realize I still wanted to play in the NBA until I was like 30"
In response to Reply # 0

and it really, really hit that it was not ever going to happen.

not making it past the first cut on my 8th grade team really should've been a heads up, looking back, but you know
you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

or, like 90% of the shots you do take, in my case.

#BallisLife

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Firecracker
1892 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 04:20 AM

34. "Where you playin ball actively from b4 8th grade"
In response to Reply # 32

up until 30?

Or was it like a side-dream that you figured you could pick up at a later time and suddenly one day it hit you that the ship had sailed?

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44622 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 05:30 AM

35. "No dreams, just goals."
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79810 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 07:58 AM

36. "you should never give up the dream...."
In response to Reply # 0

but if you are smart you will adjust that bitch over time.

my issue is I never had ONE dream.

I have pretty much done everything I dreamed of besides becoming rich.

and I will never give that dream up, lol...

right now I'm dreaming about starting my own business and I'm getting the ball rolling.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Firecracker
1892 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 09:37 AM

37. "Nice."
In response to Reply # 36
Tue Jul-28-15 09:43 AM by Firecracker

n/m

Lobby General Discussion topic #12864768 Previous topic | Next topic