Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12863385

Subject: "Questlove Was Only 16 When He Was Held At Gunpoint By Police" Previous topic | Next topic
rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Fri Jul-24-15 09:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Questlove Was Only 16 When He Was Held At Gunpoint By Police"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/questlove-was-only-16-when-he-was-held-at-gunpoint-by-police_55b0efb7e4b0a9b94853c250?utm_hp_ref=black-voices&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000047

Questlove Was Only 16 When He Was Held At Gunpoint By Police

I felt robbed of a lot that night."

You can always count on Questlove to keep it real.

The Roots drummer -- who is now also the executive music producer for the "Roots" revival, a TV series that originally aired in 1977 and gave a historic portrayal of slavery in America -- has always been vocal on social media about important issues, particularly those facing the black community. But in his latest post, things got personal.

On Wednesday night, Questlove posted a picture on Instagram with a heartbreaking story of how he and his friends were once pulled over by police after seeing a U2 documentary -- and how things quickly escalated.

"Most people's Rites Of Passage are marked happy occasions like graduation or birth or things you do when in love," the Philadelphia native wrote. "Mine was being held at gunpoint at 16."

It was a haunting night for Questlove. He admitted that, after that evening, "U2 never sounded the same again."

Though Questlove and his friends felt this fear decades ago, this emotion still resonates with so many today. So far in 2015, on-duty police officers have killed 547 people in the United States, according to The Guardian, reporting that black people are twice as likely to become victims.

"I hated the guilt of just being me," he wrote. "Nothing more degrading in life than the helplessness you feel when you get pulled over."

Read Questlove's entire post below:
U2's music haunts me. Always did.I was 16 yrs old coming from a friday afternoon church youth group event. At 8 me & 2 pals went to see their '88 Rattle & Hum doc. We were sold: it was a half hour to midnight & we had just enough time to run to #TowerRecords & cop their discography. I got the War/Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree & Rattle & Hum tapes. Grabbed "Unforgettable" & popped it in the player. I worked in a record shop so I already knew some of these songs. Instantly a fan. A great night of hanging w friends, food, movies & music #FunTimes.....& then....it happened....I became an adult: we got pulled over. Most people's Rites Of Passage are marked happy occasions like graduation or birth or things you do when in love. Mine was being held at gunpoint at 16. I don't even know what happened: we were on Washington Ave & then this flashlight blinded us & voice on a PA said "put your hands in the air" dog I almost had an instant colonic. When you get pulled over in a hostile manner you are NOT in your right mind: like giving a speech, or being a nervous contestant on the Price Is Right. Why?! ---the only thing I remember was #TheEdge's trademark delay plug in. I was so scared to turn the tape down (member when Chapelle said black people turn radio off when getting pulled over cause noone wants to get their ass beat to a soundtrack?)---they were itching for us to try something. I hated the guilt of just being me. Nothing more degrading in life than the helplessness you feel when you get pulled over. I questioned everything in my head that night: why did we go out? Did we steal this car? Maybe if we had Keith Sweat or Prince playin they woulda believed us. Sat there 30 mins frozen. emasculated. As they left we STAYED THERE Like 10 mins. Still traumatized. U2 never sounded the same again. Every song= Put your hands in the air now!! Echoing. I felt robbed of alot that night. But the ability to NOT associate that sound w that experience was hard to get over. I Never shared this cause I thought it was silly. But in light of what's (always been) goin on, I felt it was time. Just wanna thank the guys for inviting us 2nite & for giving me a new beginning experiencing @U2.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
U2 Though....
Jul 24th 2015
what about it?
Jul 26th 2015
I would imagine people's simlar stories are part of the takeway
Jul 27th 2015
i have been lucky and not so lucky
Jul 24th 2015
I think the message is...
Jul 25th 2015
It can happen to any Black person...man or woman
Jul 26th 2015
      Right? A lot of predators in uniform.
Jul 26th 2015
      ^^^^This right here^^^^^n/m
Jul 27th 2015
That's real...
Jul 26th 2015
I had police hold me at gunpoint outside a Taco Bell when I was 17
Jul 27th 2015
Cops ran up on me and my brother when we were about 14....
Jul 27th 2015
My First Time I Was 13
Jul 27th 2015

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Jul-24-15 09:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "U2 Though...."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jul-24-15 09:18 PM by imcvspl

(pre-empting everyone's 'I was only 3 when the cops shot at me though" stories with the real take away from this)

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Sun Jul-26-15 10:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "what about it?"
In response to Reply # 1

>(pre-empting everyone's 'I was only 3 when the cops shot at
>me though" stories with the real take away from this)
>
>█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
>Big PEMFin H & z's
>"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1
>thing, a musician." � Miles
>
>"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

stattic
Charter member
29791 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 08:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "I would imagine people's simlar stories are part of the takeway"
In response to Reply # 1

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Fri Jul-24-15 10:17 PM

2. "i have been lucky and not so lucky"
In response to Reply # 0

as a young black teenager to mid 20's
growing up in little rock ar.

i grew up in this era
https://youtu.be/qkFmw-vHnvc.

this song is the eeriest song for me
sam cooke's change is gonna come
https://youtu.be/gbO2_077ixs

i love it but i also hate it so much.

Dyskoteknowlegy
Charter member
8556 posts
Sat Jul-25-15 07:17 PM

3. "I think the message is..."
In response to Reply # 0

we've always been taught that its the "niggas" that get pulled over
drew down on and treated like shit.
But in reality it can happen to any black man.
Thats why black people have such an "irrational fear" of cops
Because its random and arbitrary.

To go off on a bit of a tangent...
thats why I hate when ppl say
"Let the govt scan my email. Im not doing anything illegal."
Just because you didn't do anything doesn't mean a thing....

"You are a fucking asshole and I don't like you"-My wife
https://instagram.com/jetpack_jungle/

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Sun Jul-26-15 05:00 AM

4. "It can happen to any Black person...man or woman"
In response to Reply # 3

I was stopped by a pig at a Mall (the Gallery) when I was 21. He grabbed my arm and pulled me to the side. The cop said he thought I was a truant. He made me stand there while he looked up my ID. He just wanted to show dominance over a cute young girl, and he knew he could get away with it. The sexual nature of police violence is an added level of terror for Black women.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Sun Jul-26-15 07:07 AM

6. "Right? A lot of predators in uniform."
In response to Reply # 4

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

DaHeathenOne76
Member since May 11th 2003
29362 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 07:19 AM

8. "^^^^This right here^^^^^n/m"
In response to Reply # 4

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Sun Jul-26-15 05:01 AM

5. "That's real..."
In response to Reply # 0

I understand his fear and the pain of the experience. I'm so tired of these pigs.

stattic
Charter member
29791 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 08:01 AM

9. "I had police hold me at gunpoint outside a Taco Bell when I was 17"
In response to Reply # 0

Case of mistaken identity. One cop said, "Sorry for scaring the sh*t out of you" after they had realized their mistake.

Dyskoteknowlegy
Charter member
8556 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 08:36 AM

10. "Cops ran up on me and my brother when we were about 14...."
In response to Reply # 9

we were walking our Kingdom Hall suits down to the cleaners.
Three unmarked squad cars squealed up on us as we reached the corner
and about 6 white boys jumped out, guns drawn and threw us both on the ground and cuffed us.
Then they took us in separate cars and started asking us about our "street name" and asking us where we were on certain dates. After about 10 minutes they let us go saying that my brother "match a description of a shooting suspect"
Mind you...we didn't live in the hood by any stretch of the imagination. It was a middle class black neighborhood where everyone kept their yards impeccable. Anyone with any kind of discernment could see that we weren't those type of kids. They just hopped in their cars and skeed off.
We were like
"What just happened?"

"You are a fucking asshole and I don't like you"-My wife
https://instagram.com/jetpack_jungle/

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 10:48 AM

12. "My First Time I Was 13"
In response to Reply # 0

And was with a friend of mine at an arcade.

2 cops, didn't pull out their guns, but one pulled out his club and pulled me out the arcade. The other searched for ID, which I didn't have because I was 13 (all I had was a library card). Because I was wearing a green windbreaker with the blue stripe across the middle, the cops thought I "fit a description" of a person that robbed a Bradlees (old department store) 5 miles away. I was real close to tears when the cop pulled out the billy club.

If it wasn't for my boy that kept telling the cops I was with him the ENTIRE time (he's Italian), I probably would've been in the back of the squad car getting eff'd with even more.

That was the beginning of YEARS of the dumb shit

Lobby General Discussion topic #12863385 Previous topic | Next topic