Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12858067

Subject: "state of nc, county of mecklenburg vs. randall wesley kerrick-" Previous topic | Next topic
kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17857 posts
Mon Jul-20-15 02:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"state of nc, county of mecklenburg vs. randall wesley kerrick-"

trial has begun.

any predictions/opinions?

was everyone aware of this?

here's a link to the defendant's motion for venue change (which was denied)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rnlh9NgffQ

here's some basics:

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2015/07/jonathan_ferrell_shooting_death_5_things_to_know_about_the_randall_kerrick.html

official summary of case (from multiple sources):

At around 2 a.m. on Sept. 14, 2013, a 911 dispatcher answered a call from east Charlotte.

A frantic-sounding woman told the dispatcher that she needed help because someone was knocking on her door. She said that initially, she thought the person was her husband. But when she opened the door, she saw 24-year-old Jonathan Ferrell standing there, and assumed the worst.

“There's a guy breaking in my front door,” the woman told the 911 dispatcher.

Ferrell, an aspiring engineer, had been involved in an accident nearby. Police believe he was seeking help when he knocked on the home's door. Three officers responded to the 911 call. One of them was Randall Kerrick, a three-year CMPD officer. When police arrived, Ferrell was no longer near the home and ran toward the officers. Kerrick fired 12 shots. Ten hit the unarmed Ferrell and killed him. The other officers didn’t fire a shot.

Kerrick was arrested later that day on a charge of voluntary manslaughter. Christopher Chestnut, Ferrell's family's attorney described the shooting as unjustified.

“He had no weapon, he was not erratic, he was not aggressive, he was no threat at all to the officers as was reflected by the fact that the two officers flanking him didn't fire one shot, yet Kerrick fired 12,” Chestnut said.

In January 2014, a grand jury declined to indict Kerrick. Many were outraged. There was a protest that night. Former Charlotte-Mecklenburg NAACP President Kojo Nantambu was one of the speakers.

“The least you can say is something is wrong with the system we live in. Something is wrong when a man can be shot 12 times and nothing happens, something is wrong in this country,” Nantambu said.

A week later, a different grand jury indicted Kerrick and charged him with voluntary manslaughter. Kerrick’s defense team has called the shooting tragic but justified. His attorneys maintain he followed CMPD procedures.

“We're confident at the resolution of this case, it will be found that Officer Kerrick's actions were justified on the night in question,” said one of Kerrick’s attorneys, Michael Greene, a few days after the shooting.

Michael Levine, a former DEA agent who’s testified in many cases around the country involving police procedures and shootings, says that will depend on if Greene can prove that Kerrick's actions followed national standards for use of deadly force.

“It has to be a last resort, no other alternative and the reason behind the person using deadly force reasonably feared for his life or someone else's,” Levine said. “Officers under oath will say I feared for my life, but there are no tests that measure fear.”

A dash cam video of the shooting has not been released to the public, but Jonathan Ferrell’s family has seen it. They believe Ferrell was a victim of racial profiling.

Racial profiling was also on the minds of many who attended a vigil marking the one-year anniversary of Ferrell’s death. Bree Newsome, now known for taking down the Confederate flag in Columbia, spoke at that event in September 2014.

“Even if you make it into college as Jonathan did, you can still end up gunned down by the cops,” Newsome said. “Our whole lives are about walking around like this, hands up, trying to prove that we are not criminals and have a right to live.”

At a unity rally held this month, Jibril Hough, of the Islamic Center of Charlotte told the crowd, “My prayer today is for us to continue cooperating with the Police Department but my prayer even more than that is justice for Jonathan Ferrell."

CMPD Police Chief Kerr Putney was also at that rally. He says he hopes unity prevails as expected large crowds and possibly protesters, local and outsiders, show up for the trial. Putney says he will not tolerate riots and is working with the local clergy, NAACP and other groups to ensure the city's safety during the trial and after the verdict.

“We're connected with people who can help us de-escalate a situation, community leaders who have that credibility already,” Putney said. “The protesters who want to demonstrate and get their messages out, I want to protect them and keep them out of harm's way and we have a lot of people who will join and help us do that.”

The trial is expected to last at least a month. If convicted, Kerrick faces up to 11 years in prison.

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayer™

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
renisha mcbride-
Jul 20th 2015
He didn't have that gang affiliation though so they could get him.
Jul 20th 2015
      true enough.
Jul 20th 2015
I saw the dash cam of this, it doesnt show the whole thing
Jul 20th 2015
^
Aug 21st 2015
statement from the family:
Aug 21st 2015
Yo. This is insane. But business as usual.
Aug 21st 2015
crickets on this, really?
Aug 21st 2015
not really crickets..just, what is there really to say?
Aug 22nd 2015
Black cop at the scene said the victim screamed shoot me
Aug 22nd 2015
RE: Black cop at the scene said the victim screamed shoot me
Aug 22nd 2015
So....hung jury
Aug 22nd 2015
Probably asked "why are you shooting me?" when that taser was fired
Aug 22nd 2015
RE: state of nc, county of mecklenburg vs. randall wesley kerrick-
Aug 22nd 2015
12 shots.
Aug 22nd 2015

kinetic94761180
17857 posts
Mon Jul-20-15 02:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "renisha mcbride-"
In response to Reply # 0

sorta similar.

her killer got 17-32 yrs.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-porch-killer-sentenced-20140903-story.html

different "jurisdiction", tho.

DROkayplayer™

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Jul-20-15 02:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "He didn't have that gang affiliation though so they could get him."
In response to Reply # 1

This guy is a part of said gang/mob though so it's a lot harder to call.

I think Oscar Grant's killer is a better example. Dude may get like a year of actual "jail" time, but prison seems unlikely and if they go for any kind of race based motive then he's walking.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

kinetic94761180
17857 posts
Mon Jul-20-15 02:53 PM

3. "true enough."
In response to Reply # 2

DROkayplayer™

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Mon Jul-20-15 04:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I saw the dash cam of this, it doesnt show the whole thing"
In response to Reply # 0

but you see the guy walking towards Kerrick and dude unloaded a clip into him.

he tried to hit him with the taser but it missed.

there were 2 other cops on the scene, both of them were black. neither fired a shot.

not sure why dude walked towards the white cop but I think he was concussed and not in his right mind due to the car crash.

he didn't have any drugs in his system either.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

kinetic94761180
17857 posts
Fri Aug-21-15 10:14 PM

5. "^"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/randall-kerrick-trial/2015/08/21/jurors-tell-judge-they--deadlocked--randall-kerrick-trial/32115915/

http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/randall-kerrick-trial/2015/08/21/kerrick-trial-protesters-blocking-4th-street/32137825/

DROkayplayer™

kinetic94761180
17857 posts
Fri Aug-21-15 10:26 PM

6. "statement from the family:"
In response to Reply # 5

http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/randall-kerrick-trial/2015/08/21/we-have-to-stop-them-from-killing-our-children/32148451/

DROkayplayer™

Doronmonkflake
Member since Jan 10th 2007
11078 posts
Fri Aug-21-15 10:59 PM

8. "Yo. This is insane. But business as usual. "
In response to Reply # 5

We can't even commemorate the dead before there's a new one to consider. And nothing is improving. Of course people are violently ill about it. What would they expect?

Da bayball, babeh. (c) Charlie Kelly.

kinetic94761180
17857 posts
Fri Aug-21-15 10:40 PM

7. "crickets on this, really?"
In response to Reply # 0

damn y'all.

DROkayplayer™

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Sat Aug-22-15 07:28 AM

9. "not really crickets..just, what is there really to say?"
In response to Reply # 7

Bottoms up....and the devil laughs..

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Sat Aug-22-15 07:32 AM

10. "Black cop at the scene said the victim screamed shoot me"
In response to Reply # 0

and said the shooting was justified...

so why didnt the black cop shoot while at the scene?

That Blue Wall is real

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Doronmonkflake
Member since Jan 10th 2007
11078 posts
Sat Aug-22-15 07:46 AM

11. "RE: Black cop at the scene said the victim screamed shoot me"
In response to Reply # 10

Even if he did.

So?

Da bayball, babeh. (c) Charlie Kelly.

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Sat Aug-22-15 08:24 AM

12. "So....hung jury"
In response to Reply # 11

Im just the messenger

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Sat Aug-22-15 10:11 AM

13. "Probably asked "why are you shooting me?" when that taser was fired"
In response to Reply # 10

Three "men" and I use the term loosely, can't subdue an injured one?

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Tiggerific
Member since May 24th 2007
13451 posts
Sat Aug-22-15 03:17 PM

14. "RE: state of nc, county of mecklenburg vs. randall wesley kerrick-"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm so pissed off at this shit.

This dude is going to get off.

"We don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents" - Bob Ross

"I'm wearing a MSU Tshirt because I went to MSU, you are wearing a UM Tshirt because you went to Walmart!" -unknown.

http://bjsquirrelchronicles.blogspot.com

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Sat Aug-22-15 07:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "12 shots. "
In response to Reply # 0

Once again, Punk cop obviously thinks a superhuman mutant black dude is coming his way

This time one that is bleeding and possibly already cheated death

And juries buy that bs everytime

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12858067 Previous topic | Next topic