Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12830058

Subject: "Couples and joint accounts" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 11:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Couples and joint accounts"

For the married couples or couples in long term relationships, do you have joint accounts with your spouse? Do you have one shared account or three accounts total (you each have your own + the joint account)? Have your experiences with joint accounts been good or bad? What are the advantages and disadvantages of joint accounts in your opinion?

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
We've had a joint account for the last year. We don't use it
Jun 13th 2015
Day after we got married I took my wife to the CU to put her on
Jun 13th 2015
My lady is extremely frugal
Jun 13th 2015
Take out cash to spend at the beginning of the week/payday
Jun 13th 2015
      I'm almost on 90% travel and don't always know if I'll have a fridge
Jun 13th 2015
      that's ridiculous and why should someone have to carry a lot of cash?
Jun 15th 2015
Working at a bank, I STRONGLY encourage seperate accts
Jun 15th 2015
no joint accounts.
Jun 13th 2015
This is dangerous
Jun 15th 2015
joined our individual accounts
Jun 13th 2015
I tried to fight it. I really did.
Jun 14th 2015
I think your reply is interesting
Jun 14th 2015
      my wife makes more than me
Jun 15th 2015
           wow..this is EXACTLY our reality, as well
Jun 15th 2015
never a good idea
Jun 14th 2015
don't listen to your crew, do what works for you (c) jay-z
Jun 14th 2015
I could neve do this as my girlfriend spends until it's gone
Jun 14th 2015
I don't think it's a good idea for non-married couples
Jun 14th 2015
You have to really trust your partner
Jun 14th 2015
      I can definitely see it working but more as an exception than a rule
Jun 15th 2015
Jun 14th 2015
+1.... not sure how people who arent married make this work
Jun 15th 2015
Is it time for this post again
Jun 15th 2015
We have two main accounts, but are both listed on both. So we are able t...
Jun 15th 2015
I've always enjoyed the 3 accounts set up.
Jun 15th 2015
Not married, but when we moved in together we got a joint credit card
Jun 15th 2015

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22258 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 03:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "We've had a joint account for the last year. We don't use it"
In response to Reply # 0

It's been easier for me to write her checks. She doesn't want to see what I spend (it'll stress her) and I don't want to curb my spending to her style.

It works for now. But it's all been about communication and common goals. And that works for us.

For now.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 03:22 PM

2. "Day after we got married I took my wife to the CU to put her on"
In response to Reply # 0

We've never had separate accounts since. I don't understand why couples feel the need to keep separate bank accounts.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

MEAT
22258 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 03:26 PM

3. "My lady is extremely frugal"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm money conscious, just not to her level, but watching each other's pennies would add conflict. Even with the understanding.

Just one of the reasons why someone would keep a separate account.

We make joint purchases and have joint goals, but that day to day money is kept separately.

------

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 04:04 PM

4. "Take out cash to spend at the beginning of the week/payday"
In response to Reply # 3

So all you see is that one lump payment.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

MEAT
22258 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 04:46 PM

5. "I'm almost on 90% travel and don't always know if I'll have a fridge"
In response to Reply # 4

Home on the weekends. But the money I spend on the road is a sanity plea.

Last thing you want is a man on 90% travel just sitting in hotel rooms all the time watching pennies. Recipe for trouble.

------

StephBMore
Member since Sep 11th 2014
1373 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 08:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "that's ridiculous and why should someone have to carry a lot of cash? "
In response to Reply # 4

different relationships work differently. Some prefer to keep their own personal spending money separate for whatever reason and that's their right. Finances is a big deal in relationships so I think people should discuss what they are comfortable with and what they wish to do...a joint account makes sense for paying household bills and larger joint purchases...but if I want to surprise my husband with a gift, I dont' want to have to take out cash and buy it NOR do I want it to show up on a bank statement...if I want to treat myself to $50 bikini waxes, and I got the money to do so, I don't want my husband questionning why I am spending $50 on xyz...at the same time, he shouldn't have to explain to me those $250 sneakers he's buying with his money...

so if a joint works for you, that's cool...but that's not everyone's reality and people should do what works best for THEM.

Hamsterline
Charter member
4004 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 01:30 PM

25. "Working at a bank, I STRONGLY encourage seperate accts"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm currently dealing with a case where the ex wife brought the husband's VISA history to court. Apparently when things were cool, the couple demanded that the husband's VISA was linked to the wife's bank card (which gave her access to his account information online). Not sure why they did that when she was given a secondary VISA on that account. In any case, the husband closed off this secondary VISA thinking that would end her access. They forgot all about his primary VISA being linked to her bank card. Now she's going to town on him in court with regard to his VISA spending.

tariqhu
Charter member
17904 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 05:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "no joint accounts. "
In response to Reply # 0

we have have our own checking and savings. she does have access to one of my checking accounts, but her name isn't on it.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Hamsterline
Charter member
4004 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 01:31 PM

26. "This is dangerous"
In response to Reply # 6

Don't do this!!!

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35877 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 09:29 PM

7. "joined our individual accounts"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jun-13-15 09:30 PM by Damali

we just went to each bank and put the other's name on the account. neither of us are big spenders so we never quarrel over money. 1 person manages all the bills and makes decisions about what gets paid when (me). if he's making a somewhat large purchase, he'll usually text me and say 'which account'?

but we broke so...lol

maybe we'll do things differently when we are out of the EveryPennyCounts phase of our lives...but right now, we gotta pool everything

d

adg87
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
5301 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 03:09 AM

8. "I tried to fight it. I really did."
In response to Reply # 0

But after a while, you just get sucked in. I think it's just a matter of getting older and more vested with your wife/girl. We pay bills together, it only makes sense. I'm past the days of trying to flex and be that dude. I'm a middle aged black man with a family. If I need something I get it, my wide does the same. We take vacations together, go on date night together, go to functions together, etc. It works greatly for us. I don't wanna go back.

Nigga, if the shoe fits, then buy the matching purse!" Rass Kass

exactopposite
Member since Aug 21st 2002
15132 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 09:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "I think your reply is interesting"
In response to Reply # 8

I htink maybe you have reached a level of financial security that makes it work for you. Less money in the household requires more communication about the finances to make a joint account work.

For me it's never been about flexing or masculinity etc. it's more so the concern that 1 mistake can fuck everything up and those mistakes are easier to avoid if both people aren't dipping in the same pool of $. Essentially, if you are living check to check it's a terrible idea. Once you get beyond that the possibilities open up.

adg87
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
5301 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 01:49 AM

16. "my wife makes more than me"
In response to Reply # 10

So I feel compelled to check with her sometimes to make sure all is good. She also pays all of the bills, so she is in essence the CFO of our house. I'm just a cheap bitch to be honest so unless she goes ham, we'll always be above water.

Nigga, if the shoe fits, then buy the matching purse!" Rass Kass

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35877 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 09:50 AM

21. "wow..this is EXACTLY our reality, as well"
In response to Reply # 16

i'm CFO, he's cheap. so we're always gonna be good LOL

exactopposite
Member since Aug 21st 2002
15132 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 09:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "never a good idea"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm sure there's an exception somewhere, but nah

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 10:11 AM

11. "don't listen to your crew, do what works for you (c) jay-z"
In response to Reply # 0

Birdzeye
Member since Feb 29th 2008
433 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 10:59 AM

12. "I could neve do this as my girlfriend spends until it's gone"
In response to Reply # 0

I like to spend also but I will alway ensure the bills of the home are paid first. So it makes more sense for her to transfer a monthly sum to my account on pay day. This has worked well for a few years.

sweet ruffian
Member since Jul 11th 2003
8129 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 11:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "I don't think it's a good idea for non-married couples "
In response to Reply # 0

It's good to be able to transfer money into each other's accounts but sharing one pot...asking for trouble

GirlChild
Charter member
56003 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 02:38 PM

15. "You have to really trust your partner"
In response to Reply # 13

We got a joint when we were living together about 2-3 yrs in before we got married. He was hesitant at first but it all worked out.

sweet ruffian
Member since Jul 11th 2003
8129 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 01:06 PM

23. "I can definitely see it working but more as an exception than a rule"
In response to Reply # 15

plus, you guys are awesome so you don't count.

GirlChild
Charter member
56003 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 02:37 PM

14. "4"
In response to Reply # 0

Two checking, one joint and one savings.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79711 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 08:00 AM

18. "+1.... not sure how people who arent married make this work"
In response to Reply # 14

I could never have a joint account with someone who could bounce with the quickness.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

DaHeathenOne76
Member since May 11th 2003
29362 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 07:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "Is it time for this post again "
In response to Reply # 0

:)
. . . If I have something to say when there is a reason involved, I am perfectly willing to talk. Katherine Hepburn

soulfunk
Charter member
11008 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 08:47 AM

20. "We have two main accounts, but are both listed on both. So we are able t..."
In response to Reply # 0

manage our money separately but there are also no secrets - she has all my account info and is on the account and vice versa.

We also have a joint savings account but that is for long term savings so we aren't spending out of that account anyways.

Whatever works best for you is best though, and don't let anyone else ever tell you otherwise.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 11:37 AM

22. "I've always enjoyed the 3 accounts set up."
In response to Reply # 0

One only you can touch
one only they can touch
one BOTH of y'all pay into to pay bills.

Possibly the same on the Savings side, too.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10700 posts
Mon Jun-15-15 01:15 PM

24. "Not married, but when we moved in together we got a joint credit card"
In response to Reply # 0

we put all our food, household wares, and other shared expenses (restaurants, movies, etc) on the shared credit card and we each pay half. It works cause we both make ~the same annually for now. For the non-credit card bills, rent, utilities, etc, i pay those and she transfers me her half. I begged her to let me cover more cause I make a little bit more, but she has always had a "we're in this together. we share the bills" mentality, so it works better for us this way.

Sometimes when she's not noticing, I pay for nights out on my own credit card, but thats harmless. It makes me feel better. I bet she does the same.

Even when we were dating she was very hesitant to let me play Mr. Chivalry. She always liked sharing expenses.

It works for us. If/when we get married, I would be surprised if we opened a joint chequing account for mortgage and whatnot, but it seems to work this way and we each have our privacy. So not sure in the modern age that that's even necessary.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

Lobby General Discussion topic #12830058 Previous topic | Next topic