Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12828939

Subject: "The trouble with girls? #distractinglysexy" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79690 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 07:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The trouble with girls? #distractinglysexy"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/06/11/trouble-with-girls-female-scientists-mock-nobel-laureate-with-distractinglysexy-photos/

LONDON -- Female scientists were jumping on Twitter on Thursday to voice their views on the controversial comments by a Nobel Prize-winning British scientist, who spoke about his "trouble with girls" when working in laboratories.

Speaking at the World Conference of Science Journalists in South Korea, Sir Tim Hunt reportedly said: "Let me tell you about my trouble with girls. Three things happen when they are in the lab: You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticize them they cry."

The 72-year-old biochemist has since resigned his post as an honorary professor with University College London. He also apologized for his remarks, telling the BBC that it was a “very stupid thing” to say in front of journalists, but that “I did mean the part about having trouble with girls."

He told the broadcaster: "I have fallen in love with people in the lab and people in the lab have fallen in love with me and it's very disruptive to the science because it's terribly important that in a lab people are on a level playing field.”

He added: “I'm really, really sorry I caused any offense, that's awful. I certainly didn't mean that. I just meant to be honest, actually."

Female scientists lampooned his sexist remarks, using the hashtag #distractinglysexy, which for anyone following the thread was distractingly funny.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/distractinglysexy

They trolled the fuck out of him.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
smh
Jun 12th 2015
just goes to show... you can still be the smartest guy in the room and
Jun 12th 2015
who's to say he's the smartest in the room
Jun 14th 2015
there are OKPs who are stupid and nerdy enough to agree with the dude.
Jun 14th 2015
lol, i saw this. now i want to upload pics of me working in the lab
Jun 12th 2015
LMAO @ the female scientists proving his point all along.
Jun 13th 2015
fam, log off and call your mother.
Jun 13th 2015
so women aren't more emotional than men in general?
Jun 14th 2015
Nah we are emotional too
Jun 14th 2015
Can't disagree with dude. I've certainly seen my fair share
Jun 14th 2015
I see both sides... a lot of those photos werent sexy
Jun 14th 2015

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4553 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 07:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "smh"
In response to Reply # 0

bonitaapplebaum71481
Member since Aug 04th 2003
22576 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 09:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "just goes to show... you can still be the smartest guy in the room and "
In response to Reply # 0

say something stupid as fuck

exactopposite
Member since Aug 21st 2002
15132 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 07:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "who's to say he's the smartest in the room"
In response to Reply # 2

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 11:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "there are OKPs who are stupid and nerdy enough to agree with the dude."
In response to Reply # 2

>say something stupid as fuck
>

fuck you.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Fri Jun-12-15 10:48 AM

3. "lol, i saw this. now i want to upload pics of me working in the lab"
In response to Reply # 0

in a mess of algae, trying to figure out how to convert that mess into ethanol

sexy, distractingly
cant help but start crying

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 03:37 PM

4. "LMAO @ the female scientists proving his point all along."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jun-13-15 03:46 PM by Shaun Tha Don

>"and when you criticize them they cry."
>
>
>
>
>Female scientists lampooned his sexist remarks, using the
>hashtag #distractinglysexy, which for anyone following the
>thread was distractingly funny.
>
>

Too bad he had to let himself get caught up in some shit just to finally see the light.

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Sat Jun-13-15 03:45 PM

5. "fam, log off and call your mother. "
In response to Reply # 4

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 06:10 AM

6. "so women aren't more emotional than men in general?"
In response to Reply # 0

i've never had a man blow the fuck up or freak the fuck out at the slightest work related criticism, I've had women damn near have nervous breakdowns over me just mentioning to them that they forgot to file a next to meaningless report. There aren't many women who don't see everything negative that's said to them as a personal attack. Most women know this shit too.

bleekgilliam_420
Charter member
7357 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 08:39 AM

9. "Nah we are emotional too"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun Jun-14-15 08:39 AM by bleekgilliam_420

We just do things like shot our coworkers.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 07:18 AM

7. "Can't disagree with dude. I've certainly seen my fair share"
In response to Reply # 0

of emotional outbursts and disastrous office romances. I think nowadays most women leave the office before they start with the tears (either the women's restroom or just out in the hall somewhere).

This guy was working at a time when women went to college to "find husbands" so how far off are his remarks?

I've never worked in a lab though so maybe that work environment isn't as emotionally charged because we all know scientists are infallible.

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79690 posts
Sun Jun-14-15 10:27 AM

10. "I see both sides... a lot of those photos werent sexy"
In response to Reply # 0

but at the same time, seeing a woman get her hands dirty and discovering new shit can be sexy.

I know women are just trying to do their jobs but are we really going to act like we don't/cant find co-workers attractive?

I'm sure women become attracted to men they work with as well.

but you don't say that shit, not like that.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lobby General Discussion topic #12828939 Previous topic | Next topic