Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12818892

Subject: "Tech question but hoping a few geniuses here can help..." Previous topic | Next topic
3CardMolly
Member since Jun 08th 2007
13817 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 12:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tech question but hoping a few geniuses here can help..."

Hello good people,

After transferring video files from a SD card to my external drive I noticed that out of 30 files 3 did not transfer over the mov.sfk files however the actual MOV file did transfer but with 0 kbs so I can't open the file cause apparently there's nothing to open according to the drive but I know there was plenty of footage on that file.

A bigger problem is that the initial SD card was formatted(via camera) and newer footage has been recorded over it, so I'm feeling at a lost to get info that way.

Is there anyway to get that MOV file that's 0 kb to show the actual footage or is there anyway possible to recover the initial footage from the formatted and overwritten SD card?

I know I'm trying to pull 30 teeth out of mad hungry lions mouth but if you have any answers it would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
have you tried 'undo'?
Jun 01st 2015
RE: have you tried 'undo'?
Jun 01st 2015
Mac or PC???
Jun 01st 2015
agreed this is a recovery job
Jun 01st 2015
RE: Mac or PC???
Jun 01st 2015
      standard scan or deep scan?
Jun 01st 2015

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 12:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "have you tried 'undo'?"
In response to Reply # 0

you should probably be copying files from SD to HD, then to External HD, instead of moving them.

3CardMolly
13817 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 01:54 PM

4. "RE: have you tried 'undo'?"
In response to Reply # 1

No, how would that option work in this situation?

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 12:37 PM

2. "Mac or PC???"
In response to Reply # 0

If you're on a Mac, I can't help you.

If you're on a PC, download a copy of Recuva from Piriform's website. Use it to see if you can recover the files from the SD card.

When you delete files, they aren't really removed from your drive. The space that file used is just marked as available for writing but the data is still there but may be partially overwritten if you've saved additional data to it.

This includes formatting operations: Reformatting a hard drive or flash media doesn't delete the data at all so even in cases where you reformatted a hard drive, you can still use Recuva to grab those old files.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

select_from_where
Member since Jan 03rd 2011
4342 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 12:39 PM

3. "agreed this is a recovery job"
In response to Reply # 2

3CardMolly
13817 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 01:55 PM

5. "RE: Mac or PC???"
In response to Reply # 2

On PC, I did try Recuva but it only popped up the 6 new files on the card.

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 03:30 PM

6. "standard scan or deep scan?"
In response to Reply # 5

have it run a deep scan and have it look for -all- files, not just specific filetypes.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12818892 Previous topic | Next topic