Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12815165

Subject: "FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue May-26-15 11:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges (swipe)"

It's going down!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/sports/soccer/fifa-officials-face-corruption-charges-in-us.html?_r=0

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S.

ZURICH — Swiss authorities began an extraordinary early-morning operation here Wednesday to arrest several top soccer officials and extradite them to the United States on federal corruption charges.

As leaders of FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, gathered for their annual meeting, more than a dozen plain-clothed Swiss law enforcement officials arrived unannounced at the Baur au Lac hotel, an elegant five-star property with views of the Alps and Lake Zurich.

The officers went to the registration desk to get keys, then headed upstairs toward the hotel rooms. One FIFA official was led by the authorities from his room to a side-door exit of the hotel. He was allowed to bring his luggage.

The charges allege widespread corruption in FIFA over the past two decades, involving bids for World Cups as well as marketing and broadcast deals, according to three law enforcement officials with direct knowledge of the case. The charges include wire fraud, racketeering and money laundering, and officials said they targeted members of FIFA’s powerful executive committee, which wields enormous power and does its business largely in secret.

The arrests were a startling blow to FIFA, a multibillion-dollar organization that governs the world’s most popular sport but has been plagued by accusations of bribery for decades.

The inquiry is also a major threat to Sepp Blatter, FIFA’s longtime president who is generally recognized as the most powerful person in sports, though he was not charged. An election, seemingly pre-ordained to give him a fifth term as president, is scheduled for Friday.

Prosecutors planned to unseal an indictment against more than 10 officials, not all of whom are in Zurich, law enforcement officials said. Among them are Jeffrey Webb of the Cayman Islands, a vice president of the executive committee; Eugenio Figueredo of Uruguay, who is also an executive committee vice president and until recently was the president of South America’s soccer association; and Jack Warner of Trinidad and Tobago, a former member of the executive committee who has been accused of numerous ethical violations.

“We’re struck by just how long this went on for and how it touched nearly every part of what FIFA did,” said a law enforcement official. “It just seemed to permeate every element of the federation and was just their way of doing business. It seems like this corruption was institutionalized.”

The Justice Department, the F.B.I. and FIFA did not have any immediate comment.

The case is the most significant yet for United States Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch, who took office last month. She previously served as the United States attorney in Brooklyn, where she supervised the FIFA investigation.

With more than $1.5 billion in reserves, FIFA is as much a global financial conglomerate as a sports organization. With countries around the world competing aggressively to win the bid to host the World Cup, Mr. Blatter has commanded the fealty of anyone who wanted a piece of that revenue stream. He and FIFA have weathered corruption controversies in the past, but none involved charges of federal crimes in United States court.

United States law gives the Justice Department wide authority to bring cases against foreign nationals living abroad, an authority that prosecutors have used repeatedly in international terrorism cases. Those cases can hinge on the slightest connection to the United States, like the use of an American bank or Internet service provider.

Switzerland’s treaty with the United States is unusual in that it gives Swiss authorities the power to refuse extradition for tax crimes, but on matters of general criminal law, the Swiss have agreed to turn people over for prosecution in American courts.

The case further mars the reputation of FIFA’s leader, Mr. Blatter, who has for years acted as a de facto head of state. Politicians, star players, national soccer officials and global corporations that want their brands attached to the sport have long genuflected before him.

Critics of FIFA point to the lack of transparency regarding executive salaries and resource allocations for an organization that, by its own admission, had revenue of $5.7 billion from 2011 to 2014. Policy decisions are also often taken without debate or explanation, and a small group of officials — known as the executive committee — operates with outsize power. FIFA has for years operated with little oversight and even less transparency. Alexandra Wrage, a governance consultant who once unsuccessfully attempted to help overhaul FIFA’s methods, famously labeled the organization “byzantine and impenetrable.”

Law enforcement officials said much of the inquiry involves Concacaf, one of the six regional confederations that compose FIFA. Concacaf — which stands forConfederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football — includes major countries like the United States and Mexico, and also tiny ones like Barbados and Montserrat.

Concacaf was led from 1990 to 2011 by Mr. Warner, the longtime head of Trinidad & Tobago’s federation. A key powerbroker in FIFA’s governing executive committee, Mr. Warner had been dogged by accusations of corruption. He was accused of illegally profiting from the resale of tickets to the 2006 World Cup, and of withholding the bonuses of the Trinidad players who participated in that tournament.

Mr. Warner resigned his positions in FIFA, Concacaf and his national association in 2011 amid mounting evidence that he had been part of an attempt to buy the votes of Caribbean federation officials in the 2010 FIFA presidential election. A 2013 Concacaf report also found that he had received tens of millions of dollars in misappropriated funds.

But according to the rules of FIFA at the time, Mr. Warner’s resignation led to the immediate closure of all ethics committee cases against him. “The presumption of innocence is maintained,” FIFA said in a short statement announcing his departure.

No recent incident better encapsulated FIFA’s unusual power dynamic than the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup tournaments, which many observers found to be flawed from the start: the decision to award two tournaments at once, critics said, would invite vote-trading and other inducements.

Since only the 24 members of the executive committee would decide on the hosts, persuading even a few of them might be enough to swing the vote. Even before the vote took place, two committee members — Amos Adamu of Nigeria and Reynald Temarii of Tahiti — were suspended after an investigation by The Sunday Times caught both men on tape asking for payments in exchange for their support. It was later revealed by England’s bid chief that four ExCo members had solicited bribes from him for their votes; one asked for $2.5 million, while another, Nicolas Leoz of Paraguay, requested a knighthood.

As new accounts of bribery continued to emerge — a whistleblower who worked for the Qatar bid team claimed that several African officials were paid $1.5 million each to support Qatar — FIFA in 2012 started an investigation of the bid process. It was led by a former United States attorney, Michael J. Garcia, who spent nearly two years compiling a report. That report, however, has never been made public; instead, the top judge on the ethics committee, the German Joachim Eckert, released a summary of the report. In it, he declared that while violations of the code of ethics had occurred, they had not affected the integrity of the vote.

Within hours, Garcia had criticised Eckert’s summary as incorrect and incomplete, charging that it contained “numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts.” Nonetheless, FIFA moved quickly to embrace the report’s absolution of the bid process. Qatar World Cup officials said the review had upheld “the integrity and quality of our bid,” And Russia’s sports minister, Vitaly Mutko, told reporters, “I hope we will not have talk about this again.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
USA to the rescue!
May 27th 2015
US gonna get that 2022 World Cup bid... one way or another
May 27th 2015
Epic opening weeks for the new Attorney General
May 27th 2015
they shouldve never gave that desert shithole our world cup.
May 27th 2015
that E60 feature was damning, huh?
May 27th 2015
John Oliver gave them the business too
May 27th 2015
      nah yo, they been flipping witness up the chain since 2013
May 27th 2015
      Just the very thing I was thinking about.
May 27th 2015
fuck qatar.
May 27th 2015
blatter still free tho
May 27th 2015
^^^^^^
May 27th 2015
I bet you he did the fist shake and "Ill be back!" speech
May 27th 2015
      I'm over here stifling my laughter in class at this, LOL.
May 27th 2015
the NCAA is like:
May 27th 2015
the ncaa has never committed transgressions vs america like this.
May 27th 2015
      i wonder if Loretta Lynch agrees w/that.
May 27th 2015
This means no more soccer, right?
May 27th 2015
man, this next cup is mad tainted
May 27th 2015
Qatar isn't the next one. Qatar is 2022
May 27th 2015
      2018 got russian oil money taint too.
May 28th 2015
man, if they can just get Sepp Blatter up outta there.
May 27th 2015
Soccer >>> Black Lives
May 27th 2015
LOL
May 27th 2015
      CLE PD has been investigated twice by the DOJ...were there charges?
May 27th 2015
           LOLOL @ the US taking offense
May 27th 2015
           lol.2
May 27th 2015
                so the only punishment the CLE PD has faced, twice, is a DOJ
May 28th 2015
                     RE: so the only punishment the CLE PD has faced, twice, is a DOJ
May 28th 2015
                          so much else wrong here TBH...let's start at 24 years
May 29th 2015
                               the DOJ is not the boss of all police.
May 29th 2015
                               ^^^ Called it, dead men tell no tales
Jun 02nd 2015
Why US extradition? Seems kinda weird.
May 27th 2015
i thought the same thing,
May 27th 2015
because they're paychecks are signed over here i believe
May 27th 2015
because they're paychecks are signed over here i believe
May 27th 2015
CONCACAF headquarters is in Miami
May 27th 2015
Used US banks to layer bribes and used US dollars="we got this"
May 28th 2015
So...the US wants the 2022 World Cup...
May 27th 2015
oh I believe it. they fucked over the wrong people
May 27th 2015
It's pattently obvious
May 27th 2015
they were investigating FIFA since before USA lost out on 2022
May 27th 2015
      plus they chose Qatar
May 28th 2015
           dead giveaway
May 28th 2015
           you mean the place least conduscive to outdoor activity
May 29th 2015
documentary on FIFA corruption
May 27th 2015
HAHAHA Loretta Lynch was like..
May 28th 2015
meanwhile bribery is how American LAWS are written on every level
May 28th 2015
Sepp on that Sgt Schultz at today's press conference
May 28th 2015
Lol. FIFA been corrupt. US seeking venegance though
May 28th 2015
24 years.... and then somebody didn't get paid.
May 29th 2015
Sepp Blatter resigned as FIFA President!!
Jun 02nd 2015
Got 'em
Jun 02nd 2015
24 year investigation...is that really a W...for anybody?
Jun 02nd 2015
it's all a power move for him
Jun 02nd 2015
oh no doubt. he is the ultimate villain.
Jun 02nd 2015
      I don't think so. He really thought he was above the law
Jun 02nd 2015
           i meant like a character, like a bond villain or something.
Jun 02nd 2015
                Dude does kind of remind you of Blofeld, doesn't he?
Jun 02nd 2015
Something big must be coming down the pipeline
Jun 02nd 2015
"I am the President of everybody,,,for 4 days"
Jun 02nd 2015
      haha
Jun 02nd 2015
This bamma faked his own resignation and now his own suspension:
Oct 09th 2015

GameTheory
Member since Jun 06th 2012
1642 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "USA to the rescue!"
In response to Reply # 0

Blatter about get ratted on so cray

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "US gonna get that 2022 World Cup bid... one way or another"
In response to Reply # 1

lol

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Epic opening weeks for the new Attorney General "
In response to Reply # 0

This is kind of insane seeing how this will go down in US courts too.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:21 AM

4. "they shouldve never gave that desert shithole our world cup."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Hitokiri
Charter member
22103 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:22 AM

5. "that E60 feature was damning, huh?"
In response to Reply # 0

Now get Blatter.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Very-Effortless
Member since May 07th 2011
7452 posts
Wed May-27-15 01:02 AM

6. "John Oliver gave them the business too"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed May-27-15 01:03 AM by Very-Effortless

http://youtu.be/DlJEt2KU33I

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Green Mile is a movie where the magical black man wrongly dies and the white man who let it happen lives forever.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed May-27-15 08:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "nah yo, they been flipping witness up the chain since 2013"
In response to Reply # 6

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nine-fifa-officials-and-five-corporate-executives-indicted-racketeering-conspiracy-and

when they didn't bring one of those two world cups to america they pissed off the wrong people

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:06 AM

16. "Just the very thing I was thinking about."
In response to Reply # 6

I just saw that around a month ago or so.

Since 1976

guru0509
Charter member
45353 posts
Wed May-27-15 02:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "fuck qatar."
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed May-27-15 03:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "blatter still free tho"
In response to Reply # 0

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Wed May-27-15 08:38 AM

10. "^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 8

------------------
One Hundred.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed May-27-15 08:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "I bet you he did the fist shake and "Ill be back!" speech"
In response to Reply # 8

before hopping into a henchman's car.

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:03 AM

15. "I'm over here stifling my laughter in class at this, LOL."
In response to Reply # 12
Wed May-27-15 10:04 AM by The Wordsmith

Since 1976

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed May-27-15 08:37 AM

9. "the NCAA is like:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.randidestefano.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/oh-no.jpg

fuck you.

BrooklynWHAT
85066 posts
Wed May-27-15 08:40 AM

11. "the ncaa has never committed transgressions vs america like this."
In response to Reply # 9

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed May-27-15 11:33 AM

20. "i wonder if Loretta Lynch agrees w/that."
In response to Reply # 11

fuck you.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Wed May-27-15 09:25 AM

14. "This means no more soccer, right?"
In response to Reply # 0

*fingers crossed*

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:10 AM

17. "man, this next cup is mad tainted"
In response to Reply # 0

so many people dying in Qatar, everyone turning on the sponsors, etc. It's a shit show.

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22103 posts
Wed May-27-15 11:03 AM

19. "Qatar isn't the next one. Qatar is 2022"
In response to Reply # 17

2018 is Russia

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

BrooklynWHAT
85066 posts
Thu May-28-15 10:39 AM

39. "2018 got russian oil money taint too."
In response to Reply # 19

PROMO
Charter member
30962 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:53 AM

18. "man, if they can just get Sepp Blatter up outta there."
In response to Reply # 0

dude is on some straight dictator shit.

he's a terrible human being and he needs to be stopped, seriously.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed May-27-15 11:54 AM

21. "Soccer >>> Black Lives"
In response to Reply # 0

so the DOJ can indict FIFA officials

but not Cops

noted.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:02 PM

22. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 21
Wed May-27-15 12:06 PM by SoWhat

chile, please.

unfortunately those officers weren't indicted on federal charges b/c the law doesn't support charging them. however, there is a federal statute that provides a way for the various families and survivors in those cases to file federal civil rights lawsuits in civil court.

fuck you.

bentagain
16595 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:12 PM

23. "CLE PD has been investigated twice by the DOJ...were there charges?"
In response to Reply # 22
Wed May-27-15 12:13 PM by bentagain

http://www.politico.com/multimedia/video/2015/05/loretta-lynch-remarks-on-fifa.html?hp=b2_r2

let me know what I missed

Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Wed May-27-15 02:54 PM

31. "LOLOL @ the US taking offense"
In response to Reply # 23
Wed May-27-15 02:56 PM by Selassie I God

at others for using money and power to influence decisions.

The US would surely NEVER do such things....GTFOHWTBS

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed May-27-15 05:49 PM

34. "lol.2"
In response to Reply # 23
Wed May-27-15 05:57 PM by SoWhat

The law didn't support charges federal civil rights criminal charges against the officers. Those charges are tough to prove and the Feds don't pursue cases they can't win. To win they'd have to prove the officers and/or the department behaved in a way that robbed citizens of protected civil rights due to race. It's easy for us to read articles and say of course the pigs acted badly bc they hate nigggers - but to have to actually prove it beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law where the defendants are protected by Constitutuonal provisions and the whole affair is subject to federal rules of evidence and procedure is tough! The fact that the Feds didn't charge the officers is likely more about proof problems with the cases than its about an unwillingness to proceed bc the Feds dont care about black ppl.

The Cuyahoga county prosecutors for the state of Ohio might have easier cases under state law. I dunno. But they have also declined to prosecute as most prosecutors decline to prosecute police defendants. That feels dirtier to me and more of an injustice bc the officers can be prosecuted for reckless and/or negligent conduct or even intentional conduct that wasn't race-related. Proving the race hate is likely the main problem for the Feds in criminal civil rights cases against the officers. The state wouldn't have to prove race hate to secure convictions, depending on the charge(s). So I'm more upset at the state prosecutors than the Feds.

fuck you.

bentagain
16595 posts
Thu May-28-15 10:22 AM

37. "so the only punishment the CLE PD has faced, twice, is a DOJ"
In response to Reply # 34

investigation

?

can you agree that the optics of the last 2 weeks are strange

county/state prosecutors vs feds

got it

in the context of the last 2 weeks

would you agree that it looks strange

to the general public (those of us not versed in law)

to watch the DOJ make a spectacle of indicting FIFA officials

DAYs, days after an officer is acquitted in a double homocide

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu May-28-15 10:32 AM

38. "RE: so the only punishment the CLE PD has faced, twice, is a DOJ"
In response to Reply # 37

>can you agree that the optics of the last 2 weeks are strange

yes and i'm disappointed that the Cleveland PD hasn't faced some kind of punishment yet but i understand that kind of thing takes time.

>county/state prosecutors vs feds
>
>got it
>
>in the context of the last 2 weeks
>
>would you agree that it looks strange
>
>to the general public (those of us not versed in law)
>
>to watch the DOJ make a spectacle of indicting FIFA officials
>
>DAYs, days after an officer is acquitted in a double homocide

sure.

fuck you.

bentagain
16595 posts
Fri May-29-15 03:45 PM

45. "so much else wrong here TBH...let's start at 24 years"
In response to Reply # 38
Fri May-29-15 03:49 PM by bentagain

heard some commentary hyping this as multi-generational

pause

how is letting an investigation span 24 years a W?

I'd bet some of the MFers they were watching already died

but wouldn't you want to wrap that shit up B?

24 F'n years...WOW!

and you're still gonna try to roll some of these dudes...WTF

coulda done that in 2-4 years.

the assumption would be, they wanted to reel in the big fish

but I didn't hear any indictments for the banks/bankers/financial institutions

that made all of this possible

why do the $$$ men always avoid any culpability?

will they even be fined?

we know nobody is going to jail from the banks

and today this MFer gets re-elected

the fok was the point?

Loretta Lynch branded her run as attorney general with this shite

while the police killings keep piling up

SMH

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri May-29-15 09:14 PM

47. "the DOJ is not the boss of all police."
In response to Reply # 45

Police killings by local law enforcement ain't on the DOJ.

fuck you.

bentagain
16595 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 09:13 AM

49. "^^^ Called it, dead men tell no tales"
In response to Reply # 45

I'd bet some of the MFers they were watching already died

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/02/fifa-scandal-jerome-valcke-described-as-sender-of-10m-to-jack-warner

"Fifa corruption scandal: Jérôme Valcke described as sender of $10m to Jack Warner"

and what does he do, blames a dead guy

Julio Grondona

now whether Julio did it or not is up for debate

but letting this 'investigation' continue for 24 years is a f'n joke.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:24 PM

24. "Why US extradition? Seems kinda weird."
In response to Reply # 0

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed May-27-15 01:39 PM

28. "i thought the same thing,"
In response to Reply # 24

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Wed May-27-15 02:19 PM

"because they're paychecks are signed over here i believe"

hardware
42304 posts
Wed May-27-15 02:19 PM

29. "because they're paychecks are signed over here i believe"

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Wed May-27-15 03:54 PM

32. "CONCACAF headquarters is in Miami"

the other confederations were doing dirt through them basically on U.S. soil and using U.S. banking institutions.

and ya know, cuz they can.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Thu May-28-15 03:31 PM

43. "Used US banks to layer bribes and used US dollars="we got this""

Had they done everything in Swiss francs using offshore accounts in the BVI and never involved a US company or citizen, we wouldn't have given a shit. But you can't involve an American institution without opening the door to Government having an opinion on your shaddy shit.

Selassie I God
10355 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:31 PM

25. "So...the US wants the 2022 World Cup..."
In response to Reply # 0

Gets denied.

It decides that it will "expose improprieties" in FIFA (improprieties that have gone on forever) for "the good of the sport".

Main beneficiary of this; the US, if it gets the 2022 World Cup.

Yet, the ongoing shadiness of the IOC (and the USOC) remain hush hush.

Morality when financially beneficial...AKA the American way.

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed May-27-15 01:36 PM

27. "oh I believe it. they fucked over the wrong people"
In response to Reply # 25

you can steal, use slave labor, whatever.

but we gotta get our taste

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Wed May-27-15 02:53 PM

30. "It's pattently obvious"
In response to Reply # 27

that DOESN'T mean the charges are huff tho. FIFA BEEN corrupt, this ain't new.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Wed May-27-15 04:00 PM

33. "they were investigating FIFA since before USA lost out on 2022"
In response to Reply # 25

but yeah losing out on the bid was probably the last straw.

hardware
42304 posts
Thu May-28-15 08:52 AM

36. "plus they chose Qatar"
In response to Reply # 33

it could have been any country but Qatar is wildy suspicious

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Thu May-28-15 02:10 PM

42. "dead giveaway"
In response to Reply # 36

that was almost like they wanted to get caught.

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Fri May-29-15 09:31 PM

48. "you mean the place least conduscive to outdoor activity"
In response to Reply # 36

in the dead of summer?

nah!

woe.is.me.
Member since Aug 06th 2007
13957 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:34 PM

26. "documentary on FIFA corruption"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP1mZDdAtdE

in case you missed it on ESPN

---
www.ikirejones.com
FW16: After Migration.

neuro_OSX
Member since Oct 29th 2004
1157 posts
Thu May-28-15 05:58 AM

35. "HAHAHA Loretta Lynch was like.."
In response to Reply # 0

"I told you muhfuckas once I got in here it would be on!!!"

"You used to be so cool, but now, you know you're so cold"

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Thu May-28-15 11:34 AM

40. "meanwhile bribery is how American LAWS are written on every level"
In response to Reply # 0

of government, lol

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Thu May-28-15 01:24 PM

41. "Sepp on that Sgt Schultz at today's press conference"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVG1q49yPaY

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Thu May-28-15 06:37 PM

44. "Lol. FIFA been corrupt. US seeking venegance though"
In response to Reply # 0

cold revenge
smh

south africa should have hired american "lobbyists"
they are experts on the invisible paper trail

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri May-29-15 06:40 PM

46. "24 years.... and then somebody didn't get paid."
In response to Reply # 0

"with your last mooched nickel from Gysin; Burroughs called the law."

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 12:12 PM

50. "Sepp Blatter resigned as FIFA President!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-02-15 12:13 PM by KiloMcG

hold on, lemme get the link. just read it on B/R.

here ya go:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-fc-yahoo/sepp-blatter-resigns-as-fifa-president-165551478.html

FIFA president Sepp Blatter, who has faced calls, even since his reelection, to stand down, has expressed doubts about the raid (AFP Photo/Fabrice Coffrini)

Sepp Blatter, FIFA’s long-time president, announced on Tuesday that he will be resigning as soon as an extraordinary FIFA congress has elected a successor.

Blatter had won a fifth term as president just last Friday and seemed to feel vindicated in two victory speeches, after yet another round of scandals had beset him and his organization. A recent indictment by a the Department of Justice had led to the arrest of nine of his close associates last week.

The move comes as a total shock to the soccer world, which had assumed Blatter would remain in power through the end of his new four-year term, extending his reign to two decades.

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 01:10 PM

51. "Got 'em"
In response to Reply # 50

This is an impressive start for Loretta Lynch. Granted, she didn't have a whole lot to do with it, but she better take the credit.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

bentagain
16595 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 03:28 PM

60. "24 year investigation...is that really a W...for anybody?"
In response to Reply # 51

what exactly is she taking credit for?

did she get the AG job and say enough with this shite

bring me what you have today?

because after 24 years

it doesn't appear that they have the dirt on ol' boy

is that a W?

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 01:28 PM

52. "it's all a power move for him"
Tue Jun-02-15 01:29 PM by jrocc

he could have just not gone up for re-election and let Prince Ali take over, but i think he wanted to get re-elected and step down so that there would be all this spotlight on him. on some ol "you can't fire me, I quit".

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 01:29 PM

53. "oh no doubt. he is the ultimate villain. "
In response to Reply # 52

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 01:39 PM

54. "I don't think so. He really thought he was above the law"
In response to Reply # 53

This cat thought his game was impregnable. But his right hand man falling was the finale.

FIN

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 01:41 PM

55. "i meant like a character, like a bond villain or something."
In response to Reply # 54

his voice, message, arrogance all that. he could be in a movie.

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 01:53 PM

56. "Dude does kind of remind you of Blofeld, doesn't he?"
In response to Reply # 55

Like he has a cat in his lap.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 02:00 PM

57. "Something big must be coming down the pipeline"

He thought he could teflon his way through, but he got some new info.

They probably found some bodies.
Where's Ronaldinho, Sepp? Where's Ronaldinho?

Selassie I God
10355 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 02:21 PM

58. ""I am the President of everybody,,,for 4 days""

____

(c) Luciano

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 02:23 PM

59. "haha"
In response to Reply # 58

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Fri Oct-09-15 03:10 PM

61. "This bamma faked his own resignation and now his own suspension:"
In response to Reply # 0

Associate says Blatter hopes to be back within 10 days
By ROB HARRIS (AP Sports Writer)
2 hours ago
AP - Sports

LONDON (AP) -- Suspended and shamed, Sepp Blatter is still hoping to return to power as FIFA president within the next 10 days.

Blatter was banned for 90 days on Thursday, essentially ending his 17-year reign as the leader of soccer's governing body. But Klaus Stoehlker, a close associate of Blatter, told The Associated Press on Friday that the Swiss official is aiming to be back at work very soon.

''He has made an appeal and everybody hopes there will be a decision in the next 10 days,'' Stoehlker said. ''He is very, very tough ... he is sure he will have the right to be back. He doesn't feel he is out of the job. That's a huge misunderstanding.''

Both Blatter and UEFA President Michel Platini were given 90-day bans in the wake of a Swiss criminal case investigating financial misconduct at FIFA.

Blatter has lodged an appeal, his lawyers said Friday, and has asked for the ethics committee to release the reasons for the suspension. Platini has also said he will fight the decision.

Even if Blatter's appeal fails, he could be back to work before the emergency presidential election scheduled for Feb. 26. Platini, however, would likely be forced out of the running to succeed Blatter if his expected appeal fails.
View gallery
Associate says Blatter hopes to be back within 10  …
FILE - In this May 29, 2015 file photo FIFA president Sepp Blatter, right, shakes hands with senior …

Given the extent of the crisis, however, the election could be postponed. That would be a decision for the FIFA executive committee, which will meet on Oct. 20.

''We have to discuss this among ourselves and then we decide,'' Cypriot executive committee member Marios Lefkaritis told the AP. ''It's not something automatically (to say) 'Yes or no.' It's a very important topic item.''

One option could be to shift the election to the annual congress, which is due to be held in Mexico in May.

The acting FIFA president is Issa Hayatou, the head of the African soccer confederation. Hours after taking over as president on Thursday, Hayatou defended himself from accusations of corruption, denying that he and another former FIFA executive committee member received bribes of $1.5 million from Qatar at a meeting in Angola in early 2010.

''Someone said he was there when we were given $1.5 million each in Angola?,'' said the 69-year-old Hayatou, who is from Cameroon. ''It's cash. How do you give each of us $1.5 million in Angola?''
View gallery
Platini retains UEFA title, with no interim leader …
FILE - In this Saturday, July 25, 2015 file photo UEFA President Michel Platini, left, FIFA vice pre …

Hayatou has said he will not stand in the upcoming election, leaving the field wide open.

Presidential contenders have to submit their candidacies by Oct. 26 to the FIFA ethics panel, which will assess whether they pass integrity checks. As it stands, Platini would almost certainly be deemed ineligible - even though his ban his due to expire before the election.

UEFA's 54 members, who are due to meet on Thursday in Nyon, Switzerland, are still backing Platini.

''We need to discuss (calls for an election postponement) in more detail and understand the timeline and implications for those involved, including Mr. Platini,'' Scottish FA chief executive Stewart Regan said. ''Only then would we be able to make a balanced judgment.''

It has been two weeks since Swiss investigators turned up at Blatter's office at FIFA headquarters and interrogated him. The criminal case centers on whether Blatter misused FIFA money by making a $2 million payment to Platini.

In a separate FIFA corruption case, Switzerland's justice ministry granted an American request to extradite Costas Takkas, a former assistant to CONCACAF President Jeffrey Webb and the former general secretary of the Cayman Islands Football Association.

Takkas was among the seven officials arrested on May 27 in Zurich. He is accused of accepting bribes in exchange for awarding marketing contracts.

------------------
One Hundred.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12815165 Previous topic | Next topic