Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12798753

Subject: "Why do DJ's hate taking requests?" Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 02:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Why do DJ's hate taking requests?"
Wed May-06-15 02:20 PM by -DJ R-Tistic-

Oh yeah, so I started by blog two weeks ago, called "Behind The Wheels." I will be posting every Wednesday on djrtistic.tumblr.com - each post will be about different topics from a DJ's standpoint. I'm going to have guest DJ's post as well, so definitely let me know if you're a DJ and you're interested!

Today's post is "Why DJ's don't like taking requests"...here it is written out. The previous posts are "25 random thoughts I get throughout the night" and "Setting the mood."

-------------------------------------------------

“So, can you play that Fetty Wap “Trap Queen?” What do you mean you’ll play it later, why can’t you play it now? Play it next!!”

“Can you play something that I can dance to? I don’t even know this song that’s on right now, how can I dance to it? Put on Drip Drop from Empire!”

“Since it’s my friend Caroline’s birthday, can you play Neil Diamond “Sweet Caroline” for her? Wait, you don’t have that song? How do you call yourself a DJ and you don’t have that song?”

“Can you play any song from Beyonce?” *FIVE MINUTES LATER* “Why didn’t you play anything yet? Oh, you played “Get me bodied,” that’s old…how about Dangerously in love?”

“Can you play something more Ratchet? Just, anything, Ratchet. We want to turn up!”

“Why haven’t you played any Calypso music? What do you mean this crowd won’t like it? How do you know if you don’t play it?”

“Can you play “Shoot the club up?” Why can’t you play it? Not even as the last song?”

These are all the types of things DJ’s tend to hear all night, in the case that we’re DJing a club or party where the club goers have the ability to walk up and talk to us. I’ve heard a variant of each of those quotes…and the one about “Sweet Caroline” actually happened to me, while DJing at a bar. Dude was actually mad too, like he was going to revoke my DJ license for not having that song.

So…why don’t DJ’s play certain requests right away, if at all? Why do some DJ’s actually hate requests as a whole? Regardless of how much DJ’s are seen as celebrities, we’re still in the service industry, and our main job is to please the customers and patrons. However, unlike a chef, who’s job is to specifically serve each individual in attendance…our overall job requires us to please the entire crowd, along with the stakeholders (club owner, promoter, client that hires us) and not just individuals.

With that, I’m going to list some reasons that DJ’s may not respond to a person’s requests.

1. In many cases, we plan to play the song that is requested, but we know that it won’t have the same impact if it’s played too early. Most of us wait until the climax of the party to drop the biggest songs, because they’re guaranteed to get the best reaction at this point. Playing a song too early will not incite the same reaction, and we always prefer playing these songs once we know that the party has the peak number of occupants. Also, some song requests are for great songs, but they have to fit in with a specific set.

What’s hilarious is when someone will ask for the absolute hottest song out, and tell you, “I bet the crowd will get HYPE if you drop that!” And when you drop it, they come up to you like “SEE! I told you it would get the crowd hype!” Good DJ’s will always know what the hottest song is, but we realize that the timing is most important.

2. Some songs that are requested just don’t fit the direction we are headed for the night, even when they are great, classic songs. There are songs that we personally love, yet we realize that they aren’t meant to be played at the specific party or event. In these cases, we are happy to hear that someone has the same taste in music that we have….but it still doesn’t mean it’s worth playing, since we’re there to please the entire crowd and not just ourselves.

For example, If I’m on a 2015 Trap set, I’m not going to jump straight into 2Pac “I get around” for my next song. I may get to it in 15 minutes, or 90 minutes, but surely not right away unless Pac himself walks in the club.

In some extreme cases, people may ask for songs that completely clash with the mood of a party or event. Imagine someone asking for Tevin Campbell “Can we talk” at a high energy Sports event…or asking for C-Murder “Down for my N’s” while we’re playing a slow jam set. As bizarre as it sounds, many people want to hear what they want to hear, when they want to hear it…so they’ll completely disregard the crowd and mood and ask for the song of their choice.

3. Some songs are just too inappropriate for the crowd, even when it’s the clean version. One of the wildest experiences I can remember was going to a very upscale party in High School held by Jack & Jill, where it was all teenagers who were dressed semi-formal, and there were just as many parents in attendance. The DJ decided to play Snoop’s “Ain’t no fun”..and this was in L.A., back in 1999…so that’s like a crowd favorite. He thought he was smart by just cutting out the volume at the cuss words, but this gave the complete opposite reaction from what he intended, because this made all of us sing the cuss words extremely loud! I remember when the lines came on that said “So you gave me all ya….” and the ENTIRE crowd sang in harmony about the revered cat, in derogatory terms. And when Kurupt’s part came on…yeah…the DJ just had to abruptly cut it and go into Biz Markie “Vapors.” The damage had been done though…ALL the parents looked shocked at a room full of private school/charter school kids singing those words that were banned in their household. Oh well.

4. If we’ve played a song already, chances are, we’ll avoid playing it again. Playing a song twice in one night is like hearing the same joke twice at a comedy club…it's not going to have the same effect. This relates to #1…we will save a hot song until the time is right, to avoid having to play it twice. Yet, there are people who won’t get to a party until the last hour, and will still ask for these hot songs, and they won’t understand why we don’t want to play it twice.

5. Some DJ’s are too arrogant to realize that some requests may actually make sense. I’ve seen memes and plenty of Tweets from DJ’s who seemingly “hate being told how to do their job.” I’ve seen DJ’s respond to requests by saying “if you worked at McDonald’s, I wouldn’t tell you how to make fries, would I???” But this is surely the wrong attitude to have, and it creates a disconnect between many patrons and DJ’s. I’ve seen DJ’s turn down requests that would actually make the party live, solely because they were too jaded to realize it. DJ’s are a lot more sensitive than people would ever realize, mainly because we have to keep a confident face on at all times in order to maintain control of the crowd.

6. When it comes to most clubs and events, the DJ doesn’t have as much control as you would think. Sure, we do have the library of music, and we likely have 90% of the songs that are requested…but if the person who hired us gives us specific instructions on what and what not to play, we may not be hired again if we don’t follow their direction. In my early days of club DJing, I hated that promoters would make me play ALL R&B for the first hour, and then for the last 30 minutes…but after years of working clubs, it makes a lot more sense.

Although it shouldn’t be a surprise, many club owners and promoters will tell us not to play “too much Rap,” especially in the case that they don’t want the crowd to become too Bl…especially in the case that they don’t want to turn off those in the crowd who may not love Rap as much.

Also, when a DJ is playing for a private event, many clients actually tell us not to play certain songs. Whether it’s a Wedding, Birthday Party, Divorce Party, or whatever it may be…many clients just don’t want us to play certain songs that might actually work great for the crowd. Surprisingly, one of my best friends demanded that his DJ didn’t play “The Wobble” at his Wedding. This can make it challenging for the DJ, especially when we know all the aunties are going to hate us for not playing it.

7. Many of us realize that even if 2-3 people are requesting a song, it doesn’t at all mean the entire crowd wants to hear it. If I played even half the requested songs that I may get in a specific night, people would look at me crazy. The wild thing is when people ask for songs, and then say, “man, I PROMISE the whole club will go wild if you play it!” There have actually been cases on both sides where these requests have worked great for me, and horrible for me, after taking a gamble and playing a song that I wasn’t sure about.

8. Every club night has a different format. Although modern commercial music is always the most common, the format or theme may be 80′s/90′s, or Rare Grooves, or EDM/Electro, or Reggae Night, or Throwback Hip Hop classics. Whatever the case may be, the DJ may not be open to playing songs that don’t fit the format. It can be confusing, especially since most clubs have a different format every night. When songs don’t match the format, it can be difficult or even impossible to slide them in the mix for the night.

—————————————————————-

Now….when do we play requests? Does this mean that you should never request a song, ever? How can you ask for a song without being offensive? Every DJ is different, but there are a good number of us who don’t at all mind requests, as long as they’re made in a courteous manner. Here’s a few examples of what most of us find to be reasonable.

“What’s up! You’re rocking it for real! When you get a chance, can you play anything from Rihanna?”

“Man, it’s my boy’s birthday, and he would go nuts if you played Meek Mill “Dreams and Nightmares!” If you can get that in, we’ll appreciate it!”

“If you happen to get into a Reggae set, can you play Gyptian ‘Hold yuh?’”

“I see you’re playing Biggie ‘Get money’…could you possibly get ‘All about the Benjamins’ in there too?”

Any variant of those works, along with plenty others. Just as with anything else in life, DJ’s respond best to positivity. Telling the DJ that you don’t like the song he’s playing, or constantly begging him for the same song over and over will likely annoy us, and you may not hear your song until you get into your car and play it on your iPod. In this era of social media, you can also use Twitter or Instagram to make requests. Some clubs use hashtags, and the DJ’s can quickly search these hashtags or just check their own mentions to see what is requested.

Oh….and by the way, I downloaded “Sweet Caroline.” I guess I’ll play it if I ever DJ at a 50year class reunion for Simi Valley High School. Otherwise……

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
or any white frat/college party or any white club/bar haha
May 06th 2015
It's wild, I still haven't heard it at any of those spots! I ALWAYS hear
May 06th 2015
haha, yeah you'll definitely hear don't stop believing.
May 06th 2015
      Ah! Is it even an age thing?
May 06th 2015
      no, it's a white suburban thing.
May 06th 2015
           WTF!!! LMAO I def gotta see it in action. Surprisingly, I hadn't heard
May 06th 2015
      and the HAAAANDS TOUCHING HAAAANDS
May 06th 2015
           ^^^^^
May 06th 2015
                i mean really neil diamond is just all the way the shit
May 06th 2015
any event where white people are the majority
May 06th 2015
      The also play it after the Panthers (NFL) win...pretty lame
May 06th 2015
           its played during 2nd intermission at the LA Kings games
May 06th 2015
for #6
May 06th 2015
Damm, some folks just walk away mad. I'm like....welp.
May 06th 2015
LOVE THESE DJ POSTS
May 06th 2015
Thanks for that!!
May 06th 2015
This is dope. Keep it up. People don't realize how much power a dj has
May 06th 2015
Yea it's wild when a DJ is just completely out of touch
May 06th 2015
sweet caroline is the shit though
May 06th 2015
Yea I never mind if the song makes sense with what I'm playing
May 06th 2015
ever have those people who request like 5 songs at once?
May 06th 2015
Every once in a while, yea...but WTF!!!
May 06th 2015
I tend to blend a lot
May 06th 2015
Man, people really just think we press a quick button to change songs
May 06th 2015
Beautiful. I wanna print it out and just hand it to people when I spin
May 06th 2015
LMAO! This is OKP, of course Y'ALL know it on here!
May 06th 2015
      You know, it might be an East thing....
May 06th 2015
Goldstein would have played it
May 06th 2015
Certain crowds do let you get way more eclectic
May 06th 2015
RE: Why do DJ's hate taking requests?
May 06th 2015
Do you hit em with the head nod, or the "yea I got you" shit?
May 06th 2015
      RE: Do you hit em with the head nod, or the "yea I got you&...
May 06th 2015
Hey if you cant play my request
May 06th 2015
Oh I understand it. I figure some DJ's can be jerks about it
May 06th 2015
I don't make request so much as encourage them when they do good
May 06th 2015
RE: I don't make request so much as encourage them when they do good
May 06th 2015
Also, cause when I play it...
May 06th 2015
Ohhhhhhhhhhh when that happens. And don't let them say
May 06th 2015
my problem is the requests are for music I don't play
May 06th 2015
Man, people give no fux about format or any of that! SMH
May 06th 2015
the most obvious one wasnt really touched on
May 06th 2015
Well with that...those type DJ's don't get many requests
May 06th 2015
yeah after i posted i realized i left out a bunch of hip hop guys
May 06th 2015
      Got you, I wonder if they deal with some of the same type issues
May 06th 2015
           some chick socked him in the face? LOL
May 06th 2015
                Hawtin's a cool dude, just don't irritate him.
May 07th 2015
I disagree.
May 06th 2015
      this is where having house remixes were dope
May 06th 2015
      they still exist.
May 06th 2015
      oh im not saying it doeant happen
May 06th 2015
           that's not a House thing though.
May 06th 2015
                At least you asked...
May 06th 2015
                i do that too actually. or did, pre-shazam lol
May 06th 2015
                That's basically a compliment to me, I never mind folks asking
May 07th 2015
Another annoyance: "You don't have it? Can't you just play it off my pho...
May 06th 2015
Oh that happens WAY too much. They assume computer = internet
May 06th 2015
Oh man, THIS
May 06th 2015
I think I'm kinda glad I'm not spinning right now
May 06th 2015
      First few months of it, I politely broke it down like...
May 06th 2015
Chuuuuch
May 06th 2015
Yea it's allll about knowing the exact crowd that you have each time
May 06th 2015
      pretty much the same...
May 06th 2015
      Next time you book one, let me know. I'll send you a list of tracks lol
May 06th 2015
           LOL yeah I still want to have those type of songs just in case!
May 06th 2015
I've always wanted to know how to scratch
May 06th 2015
I mean, I sucked my first few months as a DJ. HATED those damn
May 06th 2015
#1 thing I didn't see touched on: enabling.
May 06th 2015
The enabling part can def happen. I'm usually like "I just played
May 07th 2015
      lol yeah at juke box EXCEPT that's when I throw in
May 07th 2015
I appreciate good DJ's considering the number of weddings I do...
May 06th 2015
I don't get it, Serato makes it way easier to transition, too
May 07th 2015
      RE: I don't get it, Serato makes it way easier to transition, too
May 07th 2015
a lot of typing. but this is pretty cool.
May 06th 2015
I'll be playing Ain't No Fun for the rest of the day thanks to this post...
May 07th 2015
A few years ago at our monthly, dude slid a bag of weed and a note.
May 07th 2015
Shit!! I never get super huge tips like that. Black folks cheap, SMH!
May 07th 2015
tryna interrupt me right at the CRUCIAL transition point when blending
May 07th 2015
Man. That's def something I coulda mentioned too. People never
May 07th 2015
Last summer at Makossa this girl walked behind the DJ booth
May 07th 2015
lol she was so mad. people are crazy. she was also kinda racist
May 07th 2015
      RE: lol she was so mad. people are crazy. she was also kinda racist
May 07th 2015
The Aint No Fun story is great
May 07th 2015
Some DJs take themselves too seriously though
May 07th 2015
Oh for sure. LMAO at them trying to "set the mood" in that type spot
May 07th 2015
One of my biggest regrets in life
May 07th 2015
how NOT to request a song
May 07th 2015
holding your drink over my turntable and mixer..i get on that onyx
May 08th 2015

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed May-06-15 02:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "or any white frat/college party or any white club/bar haha"
In response to Reply # 0

>Oh….and by the way, I downloaded “Sweet Caroline.” I
>guess I’ll play it if I ever DJ at a 50year class reunion
>for Simi Valley High School. Otherwise……

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 02:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "It's wild, I still haven't heard it at any of those spots! I ALWAYS hear"
In response to Reply # 1

Journey "Don't stop believing" or even Van Halen "Jump"

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed May-06-15 02:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "haha, yeah you'll definitely hear don't stop believing."
In response to Reply # 2

sweet caroline is another big hit though. the crowd really gets into it on the "BAHM BAHM BAHM" part.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 02:48 PM

5. "Ah! Is it even an age thing?"
In response to Reply # 3

>sweet caroline is another big hit though. the crowd really
>gets into it on the "BAHM BAHM BAHM" part.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Wed May-06-15 03:08 PM

8. "no, it's a white suburban thing."
In response to Reply # 5

I was at a party in high school a little further west (read: opposite end of the city from downtown) than I usually hung out attended entirely by kids from more affluent families than mine, and they played Sweet Caroline no less than five times, every time belting it out hardcore. these were seventeen and eighteen year old kids otherwise smoking weed, doing beer bong rips and jamming out to Rick Ross and Lil' Wayne, but Sweet Caroline was easily the biggest hit.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 03:11 PM

9. "WTF!!! LMAO I def gotta see it in action. Surprisingly, I hadn't heard"
In response to Reply # 8

"Don't stop believing" at least to where I paid it any attention until I was 21-22 going to White college bars. They may have played it in HS at the dances, but "White music time" meant "time to go outside and mack until Juvenile comes back on" for us

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Wed May-06-15 03:40 PM

16. "and the HAAAANDS TOUCHING HAAAANDS"
In response to Reply # 3

REAAAACHING OOUUUUT
TOUCHIIING MEEEE

TOUCHIIIING YOOOUUUUUU

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Wed May-06-15 03:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 16

that slow build to the BAHM BAHM BAHM and SO GOOD SO GOOD!

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

teefiveten
33019 posts
Wed May-06-15 03:44 PM

18. "i mean really neil diamond is just all the way the shit"
In response to Reply # 17
Wed May-06-15 03:44 PM by teefiveten

cherry cherry
coming to america
and he bangs for obama

like.me

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

RobOne4
56697 posts
Wed May-06-15 03:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "any event where white people are the majority"
In response to Reply # 1

I have played it at probably every wedding I have done. Every engagement party too. At my brother inlaws wedding they played it at the end of the night and everyone went nuts. But his wife is from Boston. They had lots of people from Boston in town for the big day. They play that song during like the 7th inning stretch at the Sawks games. But yeah white people love Sweet Caroline.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Wed May-06-15 03:36 PM

14. "The also play it after the Panthers (NFL) win...pretty lame"
In response to Reply # 10

We covered by the Blood which never loose it's power

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

RobOne4
56697 posts
Wed May-06-15 03:38 PM

15. "its played during 2nd intermission at the LA Kings games"
In response to Reply # 14

crowd gets into it, but not like they do in Boston. Especially since half of Staples is in the concourse getting refreshments during intermission.

lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Wed May-06-15 02:39 PM

4. "for #6"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-06-15 03:05 PM by lazyboi

when someone keeps asking me for a genre/song that the host told me not to play i'm like "can't play it" if they still wanna push the issue, i be like "there's the host right there.,....if they tell me i can play it, i may play it"

"If you wanna help us, fine. Sit down with your kids and make 'em study at night...otherwise, shoot THIS mothaf*cka!" (c) Morgan Freeman,

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 02:49 PM

6. "Damm, some folks just walk away mad. I'm like....welp."
In response to Reply # 4

Nvncible1
Member since Jun 17th 2011
1900 posts
Wed May-06-15 03:01 PM

7. "LOVE THESE DJ POSTS"
In response to Reply # 0

gonna follow. thanks

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:07 PM

46. "Thanks for that!!"
In response to Reply # 7

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Wed May-06-15 03:26 PM

11. "This is dope. Keep it up. People don't realize how much power a dj has"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-06-15 03:27 PM by Overqualified

I was at a function the other week...a casino night party in Atlanta. $25 cover, good amount of people, everyone dressed to the nines. 27-30+ year old Black professional crowd. The DJ literally killed what could have been a great party. He was DJ'ing like he was spinning a 17 year old birthday party or some hole in the wall on the Southside. I wanted to tell him to play some fly shit, but chilled for some of the reasons you state. But no one was dancing and people started walking out. The party was supposed to go until 2a, but at midnight they packed the tables up and told everyone to go to Gold Room.

Streets won't let me chill.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 04:48 PM

25. "Yea it's wild when a DJ is just completely out of touch"
In response to Reply # 11

And it does suck, because nobody can tell them anything...not even the person paying. Nothing worse that a wack AND arrogant DJ.

teefiveten
33019 posts
Wed May-06-15 03:28 PM

12. "sweet caroline is the shit though"
In response to Reply # 0

lol.

but yes to alladis

rarely do i just out and out refuse to hear a request

most of the time i listen and i say 'i'll try'

every once in a while a request make sense (it's already in the vein of what im playing) so i put it on

that happened last night and she tipped me which is a first. i don't accept them but she refused to take it back so breakfast for me this morning! chaching!

like.me

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 04:49 PM

26. "Yea I never mind if the song makes sense with what I'm playing"
In response to Reply # 12

Hell, I'd say that literally every month, someone will come to ask for a song, then I point at the screen, and it happens to be the next song cued up!

RobOne4
56697 posts
Wed May-06-15 03:31 PM

13. "ever have those people who request like 5 songs at once?"
In response to Reply # 0

before I would have those people who would come up several times. Like if they request something and you play it and they think well if he gave me one let me try again, and again, and again. But a few times I have had those people who come up and ask to play like 5 or 6 songs. The first time it happened this girl came up and asked me to play some shitty song. I said okay I'll try and get it in. Before I could finish my sentence she was like oh yeah and *insert song here* and *insert song here*. All while looking down at her iphone. Not even giving me a chance to answer. I peaked at her screen she was reading some chart off itunes. She gave me like 6 songs. After like the 4th song I just ignored her. When she finished she was like so are you going to play those? I just shook my head no.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 04:50 PM

27. "Every once in a while, yea...but WTF!!! "
In response to Reply # 13

>I peaked at her screen she was reading
>some chart off itunes. She gave me like 6 songs. After like
>the 4th song I just ignored her. When she finished she was
>like so are you going to play those? I just shook my head no.

That's just completely ridiculous...basically saying "I just wanna hear alllll the top hot popular songs! I don't even know what I like, I just like what I'm supposed to like!"

TheStandard
Member since Nov 05th 2007
3642 posts
Wed May-06-15 03:52 PM

19. "I tend to blend a lot"
In response to Reply # 0

It's very annoying for people to talk to me when I'm Djing

I don't mind requests and in some ways I welcome them.....but it can get out of hand.

One thing I've found is that if so many people are making requests either you're not doing a good job or the people are just dumb (requesting songs like trap queen before primetime)

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 04:51 PM

28. "Man, people really just think we press a quick button to change songs"
In response to Reply # 19

and as if we just go in order. I'm sure it seems like we're being rude, but a lot of times, we can't even talk to our friends when we're in the middle of a blend. Or if we're doing that quick Kid Capri style, switching songs within 2-4 bars.

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Wed May-06-15 03:55 PM

20. "Beautiful. I wanna print it out and just hand it to people when I spin"
In response to Reply # 0

But yeah, you're off about the "Sweet Caroline" thing. lol

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 04:52 PM

29. "LMAO! This is OKP, of course Y'ALL know it on here!"
In response to Reply # 20

Might even be a bit regional...I've been to plenty White bars in L.A. and just never heard it.

CaptNish
14495 posts
Wed May-06-15 05:05 PM

33. "You know, it might be an East thing...."
In response to Reply # 29

...because the roots of it blowing up are kinda tied to the Red Sox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Caroline#Use

Though, I think that was just the tipping point. I have never heard any one say it, but I think it all started with this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPQ47h-k-nw

_

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Wed May-06-15 04:15 PM

21. "Goldstein would have played it"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-06-15 04:16 PM by TR808

And he would have mixed it with a daft punk Joint,....

this line killed me though

you may not hear your song until you get into your car and play it on your iPod.

lol

Great post though...

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 05:12 PM

35. "Certain crowds do let you get way more eclectic"
In response to Reply # 21

Some folks don't catch that either. They'll see AM, Jeff, or Capri play shit and then say "see, that's why I hate regular ass clubs, the DJ's suck! They not playing this Group Home! They even played Benny and the Jets and it worked!"

But even they wouldn't get away with it at certain spots. I'm starting to train my crowds to where I can throw on crazy shit for fun.

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Wed May-06-15 04:23 PM

22. "RE: Why do DJ's hate taking requests?"
In response to Reply # 0

If it's that persons birthday I will take a "suggestion"

otherwise i refuse

I am a DJ not a jukebox let me do my job

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 05:00 PM

31. "Do you hit em with the head nod, or the "yea I got you" shit?"
In response to Reply # 22

double 0
7007 posts
Wed May-06-15 05:05 PM

34. "RE: Do you hit em with the head nod, or the "yea I got you&..."
In response to Reply # 31
Wed May-06-15 05:09 PM by double 0

Nah.. I tell em no.. lol

more like "Sorry.. Nah" a la the Clark kent

Then again in huge bottle service clubs sometimes you dont have a choice if you wanna get paid. When the tables want EDM u go EDM when they want Turn Up.. U gotta Turn Up

I do get surprised by the request though.. then I gotta put it in the mix..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Wed May-06-15 04:35 PM

23. "Hey if you cant play my request "
In response to Reply # 0

DOn't be a jerk about it dude... just say something like

"hey I like that song too I might try to sneak it in but I cant promise you.."

or use it to promote your website or blog or something like

" I might not get it on tonight but you should check my website I got at least 5 country and western mixes.."

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 04:56 PM

30. "Oh I understand it. I figure some DJ's can be jerks about it"
In response to Reply # 23

I've only had one party recently where the requests just completely got waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of hand. And it wasn't at all because I wasn't playing the "right" songs...but it was a damn college NSBE crowd, meaning everyone was from alllll over the country...so every request was for something completely different, and they kept, kept, kept coming up to me. And not just "hey, can you play this?" but "why are you playing this, this ain't turnt up enough, play this!" and "why haven't you played _____ yet???? I asked for it three times!" Young ass kids.

After dealing with maybe 20 requests, two girls walked up to me and said "hey, can you play Reggae?" and I know my face probably said "get the fuck away!" so they said "ohhh....sorry, wait, are you taking any requests?" and I chilled n told them that I had played it just ten minutes earlier, after being asked all night. And they said "oh....well we just walked in." Had to catch myself, but the whole night was just way too aggravating.

The next night was the grown folks, 25-45....perfect night, crowd enjoyed it all, and the 2-3 requests were completely respectful.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Wed May-06-15 04:42 PM

24. "I don't make request so much as encourage them when they do good"
In response to Reply # 0

In some spots (when the folks are majority white) the DJ can some times lurch about from song to song and when they finally start playing something decent I will go up to them and let them know the good music is appreciated.

Also, do DJs get offended when someone offers money to play certain music?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 05:02 PM

32. "RE: I don't make request so much as encourage them when they do good"
In response to Reply # 24

>Also, do DJs get offended when someone offers money to play
>certain music?

I mean, I don't at all, but sometimes it can mean "you HAVE TO play my song now that I've given you money for it!"

I did a yacht party for this R&B group, and it was mainly 21-25 Black, trendy. Some super extra random 35 year olds were on there, and one was begging me to play "Dirty Diana" and gave me $5. And then said "I gave you money, you BETTER play it!" and I was like "I'll give it back to you, I probably ca..." "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T?!???"

Luckily, his boy was there to grab him away.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43743 posts
Wed May-06-15 05:25 PM

36. "Also, cause when I play it..."
In response to Reply # 0

You'll for sure be outside or at the bar and tell me that you missed it and to play it again.

NOPE DOT COM.

17x NBA Champions

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 05:28 PM

38. "Ohhhhhhhhhhh when that happens. And don't let them say"
In response to Reply # 36

"ohh well I didn't hear it, play it again now!"

Shiiiiiiiiiit (c) Busta/Kendrick

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Wed May-06-15 05:28 PM

37. "my problem is the requests are for music I don't play"
In response to Reply # 0

Was doing a small party at a house near EMU. I was one of 3 DJ's on the menu that night. I typically spin detroit techno, electro/technobass, and a touch of deep house where I can fit it in. Knowing this... Knowing that we were all billed on the flyer with each type of music we all played... Knowing that ain't nobody heard a lick of rap all night, why exactly the fuck was there an Asian chick in my face during my set talmbout "YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! PLAY SOME HOT BOYS OR JUVENILE!!!"

I think I told y'all about the dude that kept shoving a Kid Rock CD in my face during one of my sets. That was probably the most annoying one 'casue the shit just escalated from a request all the way to grabbing the CD and demanding I play it.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:03 PM

43. "Man, people give no fux about format or any of that! SMH"
In response to Reply # 37

Even Sunday, our spot is called "The Revival" and it says Classic Hip Hop, Rare Grooves, Reggae, House. And this girl came with a crew for a birthday, and came up to ask "can you play something ratchet, like Big Sean?" and I'm like...did you even see the flyer, or did you just walk by and see that the spot was open? The spot never caters to that "Ratchet" crowd, either.

But with them shoving it in your face? Ehhh....that shit is beyond out of pocket!

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35253 posts
Wed May-06-15 05:30 PM

39. "the most obvious one wasnt really touched on"
In response to Reply # 0

The DJ is an artist himself, particularly in the underground house/techno/dnb realm

No one would stand behind Toni Morrison telling her to use different diction

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:01 PM

42. "Well with that...those type DJ's don't get many requests"
In response to Reply # 39

Even when it is a Kid Capri, Jazzy Jeff Hip Hop type. Or even more so, the Rave/Coachella DJ's who have a million fans in the crowd. Those type can't even get requests, and most DJ's who are basically artists have it blocked off to where you can't even get to them for requests.

Whenever I do the bigger festivals and clubs, it's a whole different thing, and no one is even able to get to me to bother me. But at a regular club or private event, ehhh!

cgonz00cc
35253 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:48 PM

56. "yeah after i posted i realized i left out a bunch of hip hop guys"
In response to Reply # 42

And those guys like the ones you mention are firmly in the "artist" category

But those dance music djs are in smaller clubs all the time. Not guys like David Guetta or Kaskade obviously, but Seth Troxler types are in accessible clubs fairly frequently

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:50 PM

58. "Got you, I wonder if they deal with some of the same type issues"
In response to Reply # 56

I did see when a girl was buggin Capri at an event. Didn't a girl punch him, or was it just security who did?

cgonz00cc
35253 posts
Wed May-06-15 10:23 PM

67. "some chick socked him in the face? LOL"
In response to Reply # 58

I didnt hear about that

I did see some video of Richie Hawtin (techno) pushing over a speaker stack that some girl climbed on...while she was still on it :/

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Thu May-07-15 12:07 AM

68. "Hawtin's a cool dude, just don't irritate him."
In response to Reply # 67

Most likely she was distracting him, and he pretty much hates shit like that, especially if it was one of his old live shows with that QS80 or one of his DE909 shows where he really needs to focus on what he's doing.

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts

47. "I disagree."
In response to Reply # 39

My House DJ homies tell me otherwise. And when I have been with them in the booth I've seen them get ridiculous requests.

Like my dude is playing str8 up underground House and some fool will ask him to play that new Rihanna or some Swedish House Mafia. As the fuck if!!

fuck you.

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:34 PM

54. "this is where having house remixes were dope"
In response to Reply # 47

>My House DJ homies tell me otherwise. And when I have been
>with them in the booth I've seen them get ridiculous
>requests.
>
>Like my dude is playing str8 up underground House and some
>fool will ask him to play that new Rihanna or some Swedish
>House Mafia. As the fuck if!!

In the early 90's damned near EVERYTHING had a House remix and back then my set was more House than Techno. Somebody comes up asking for some random joint from the radio? Just throw on the House remix of it if there was one.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:49 PM

57. "they still exist."
In response to Reply # 54

but DJ's who are aficionados of House (aka House heads) tend to be highly selective about playing remixes of popular music cuts. the remix has to be dope - it's not just about playing a House remix of a Rihanna song b/c someone wants to hear Rihanna.

fuck you.

cgonz00cc
35253 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:54 PM

61. "oh im not saying it doeant happen"
In response to Reply # 47

That Tony Morrison line was to say that if you wouldnt do that to her, you shouldnt ask Carl Craig to play your request

2 years ago at a Movement after party i watched some wasted girl go up to Rick Wilhite or Carl Craig or somebody with the intent of asking for "Get Lucky". My buddy stopped her out of pity and was like "hes playing records so unless you have it he cant play it."

She looked at him like he had a leg growing out of his forehead.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:57 PM

62. "that's not a House thing though."
In response to Reply # 61
Wed May-06-15 06:59 PM by SoWhat

i think any highly-respected/legendary DJ in any genre will get that same treatment - meaning that it's gauche to make a request. the hardcore fans of the DJ or the genre usually get that. it's the casuals and the newbies who don't get it.

on a related note: i have at times approached a DJ to ask for info about a track they recently played. i feel like that's a'ight b/c i'm showing love and i totally understand if they're hesitant to give out the info. but when i've been able to get the face time i can't recall that being a problem.

fuck you.

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts
Wed May-06-15 08:34 PM

63. "At least you asked..."
In response to Reply # 62

>on a related note: i have at times approached a DJ to ask for
>info about a track they recently played. i feel like that's
>a'ight b/c i'm showing love and i totally understand if
>they're hesitant to give out the info. but when i've been
>able to get the face time i can't recall that being a
>problem.

I can't even think of the number of times I've had to shoo or get physical with some asshole (male and female), that wandered up to the decks and stuck their nose over whatever record is playing trying to figure out what I'm playing. I had one dude actually stop the record that was playing while I had my back turned sifting through my crates.

cgonz00cc
35253 posts
Wed May-06-15 10:21 PM

66. "i do that too actually. or did, pre-shazam lol"

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu May-07-15 10:46 AM

76. "That's basically a compliment to me, I never mind folks asking"

I wanted to punch Ray J's DJ though. He had this YG track called "Pop it" that sampled Khia maybe 2-3 months before it came out, so I had never heard it before. I asked him who's song it was, and he said Khia. I'm like dude.........I'm not a fuckin idiot. I would blackball him today if I had the chance to.

CaptNish
14495 posts
Wed May-06-15 05:37 PM

40. "Another annoyance: "You don't have it? Can't you just play it off my pho..."
In response to Reply # 0

Or "Just play it off of youtube."

Fuck off.

_

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:05 PM

44. "Oh that happens WAY too much. They assume computer = internet"
In response to Reply # 40

But yeah, that "Play it off YouTube" or "do you have an AUX cable?" shit is way annoying. In the vinyl days, no way someone would bring vinyl inside unless it's an artist trying to get something played.

And when they ask if they can look on your computer to see what you have??? Ehhhh...........

CaptNish
14495 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:10 PM

49. "Oh man, THIS"
In response to Reply # 44

>And when they ask if they can look on your computer to see
>what you have??? Ehhhh...........

That shit. lol

I also love when I tell someone I don't have something or that I already played it and then they hover like, "hmmm... what do I want to hear then? Um..." I always shoot em a playful snark of, "you know, you don't *have* to request something. It's not an obligation."

_

PoppaGeorge
10384 posts

48. "I think I'm kinda glad I'm not spinning right now"
In response to Reply # 40

>Or "Just play it off of youtube."
>
>Fuck off.

^^^ 'cause that shit would get me heated.

CaptNish
14495 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:12 PM

50. "First few months of it, I politely broke it down like..."
In response to Reply # 48

..."look, my deck takes over the soundcard of the laptop so even if I could jump on youtube, I wouldn't be able to play it." Now, I'm just like, "nah."

_

revolution75
Member since May 07th 2003
3372 posts
Wed May-06-15 05:59 PM

41. "Chuuuuch"
In response to Reply # 0

It's rough being an all vinyl rare groove, boogie and funk DJ in today's world if you're not "known".
I've heard it all from "you need a computer" to "move...let me do this"
Even playing the classics, you have to know when and where to play certain songs.

BTW Bro' Sweet Caroline and Brown Eyed Girl close to the end of the night with an all white crowd KILLS every time!! Lol

Eclectic Soul/Sunday, 2-4 PM est/89.3 WCSB.ORG

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:06 PM

45. "Yea it's allll about knowing the exact crowd that you have each time"
In response to Reply # 41

>It's rough being an all vinyl rare groove, boogie and funk DJ
>in today's world if you're not "known".
>I've heard it all from "you need a computer" to "move...let me
>do this"
>Even playing the classics, you have to know when and where to
>play certain songs.
>
>
>BTW Bro' Sweet Caroline and Brown Eyed Girl close to the end
>of the night with an all white crowd KILLS every time!! Lol

LOL I just found out about Brown eyed girl. I think I've only had two, maaaybe three "ALL WHITE" White crowds in my entire life...wait, actually one was White and Asian, just no Blacks!

revolution75
Member since May 07th 2003
3372 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:19 PM

51. "pretty much the same..."
In response to Reply # 45

Everyone has those songs that you have to have in your arsenal
Like Older Black folks need Maze and line dances lol

Eclectic Soul/Sunday, 2-4 PM est/89.3 WCSB.ORG

CaptNish
14495 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:20 PM

52. "Next time you book one, let me know. I'll send you a list of tracks lol"
In response to Reply # 45

>I think I've only
>had two, maaaybe three "ALL WHITE" White crowds in my entire
>life...

I did a gig with my boy who was like, "someone asked me for 'Cotton Eye Joe.' I ain't playin' that." I was like, "Bruh, you don't even know. Drop it." He did and the dance floor blew up and he's still bitter salty about that years later.

There's songs that are so dead and played out or even never ran that for some reason, certain crowds got absolutely nuts for. Like "Build Me Up Buttercup." Or DJ Otzi's "Hey Baby."

_

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:41 PM

55. "LOL yeah I still want to have those type of songs just in case!"
In response to Reply # 52

even at my Black spots, I like playing shit like "Come together" from the Beatles at the very very end, basically saying "leave and go home, or.....sing along with ya drunk ass!"

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23880 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:25 PM

53. "I've always wanted to know how to scratch "
In response to Reply # 0

But I know I'd be a horrible actual DJ, because of shit in this post. I'd be fighting boyfriends and studs every night.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:51 PM

59. "I mean, I sucked my first few months as a DJ. HATED those damn"
In response to Reply # 53

Florida college girls bugging me to play shit like "Bing ah" and "Crank dat Superman"

Mr. ManC
Member since Jan 26th 2009
11819 posts
Wed May-06-15 06:53 PM

60. "#1 thing I didn't see touched on: enabling."
In response to Reply # 0

as in, if I play your request, then now you gonna keep asking for songs, AND you'll probably be tethered beside me at the DJ booth, god forbid daring to look over my shoulder to try to look in my library.

my main attitude when I spin is most times people don't know what they want to hear, because that's why I'm here. I'm not playing the radio, nor a juke box. I'm gonna spin and blend some shit up like you never heard. Last time I spun I did a "Uptown Funk"/"Skin Tight" mash up live just cause I thought it would mix and people went wild. Most of them didn't even know Ohio Players, but it sounded good. DJ chick even came up to me like "OMG is that Bruno Mars too?" and smh.

bottom line, I'm the controller (and the people who hired me). Get out the way and let me mix up "Staying Alive" into "Yeah!" so you can hear Usher and the Bee Gees in a whole new way.

that, and I put out the "Requests: $5" jar. Always helps too.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu May-07-15 10:43 AM

73. "The enabling part can def happen. I'm usually like "I just played"
In response to Reply # 60

the last song you asked for!" That's not enough for some folks, though.

>my main attitude when I spin is most times people don't know
>what they want to hear, because that's why I'm here. I'm not
>playing the radio, nor a juke box. I'm gonna spin and blend
>some shit up like you never heard. Last time I spun I did a
>"Uptown Funk"/"Skin Tight" mash up live just cause I thought
>it would mix and people went wild. Most of them didn't even
>know Ohio Players, but it sounded good. DJ chick even came up
>to me like "OMG is that Bruno Mars too?" and smh.
>
>bottom line, I'm the controller (and the people who hired me).
>Get out the way and let me mix up "Staying Alive" into "Yeah!"
>so you can hear Usher and the Bee Gees in a whole new way.

I mean, I have always mentioned that it's hilarious to me that people always request certain songs, usually new songs for my crowd...but then they actually react way harder to songs that aren't expected and would never be asked for.

>that, and I put out the "Requests: $5" jar. Always helps too.

People tell me to do that, but I always feel that actually turns me into a jukebox, on some "ok, so if I pay him, he HAS TO play it now!"

Mr. ManC
Member since Jan 26th 2009
11819 posts
Thu May-07-15 11:22 AM

77. "lol yeah at juke box EXCEPT that's when I throw in"
In response to Reply # 73

"oh I don't have that song, sorry" and blame it on the Wifi.

nope, I can't download it or stream it either.

I'll kindly give them back their $5 and let the others pay me for good ideas.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

daryloneal
Member since Jan 08th 2005
9267 posts
Wed May-06-15 09:01 PM

64. "I appreciate good DJ's considering the number of weddings I do..."
In response to Reply # 0

Most of the selections are the EXACT same.

So whenever a DJ slips a few joints in I wasn't expecting, I give him the point and nod.

I also respect DJ's that transition well from song to song, because most these days just....can't.

It's irritating.

Not really on topic at all, just a general comment...

---
but have you ever checked out my website? www.dtaylorimages.com

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu May-07-15 10:43 AM

74. "I don't get it, Serato makes it way easier to transition, too"
In response to Reply # 64

double 0
7007 posts
Thu May-07-15 01:14 PM

83. "RE: I don't get it, Serato makes it way easier to transition, too"
In response to Reply # 74

Yea like there is a sync function that I would assume any wedding style DJ would be murdering..

Maybe they are on scratch live though

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Wed May-06-15 09:35 PM

65. "a lot of typing. but this is pretty cool. "
In response to Reply # 0

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44615 posts
Thu May-07-15 05:32 AM

69. "I'll be playing Ain't No Fun for the rest of the day thanks to this post..."
In response to Reply # 0

Damn you DJ!!!

"Seasons may come and your luck just may run out, and all that you'll have is some memories..."

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Thu May-07-15 09:21 AM

70. "A few years ago at our monthly, dude slid a bag of weed and a note."
In response to Reply # 0

"Play more OutKast."

I mean....we always play a ton of OutKast at that party anyway, but hell yeah. Let me cue up "ATLiens."

We have the brand fully established at this point (the 7-year anniversary was in January), so requests are really few and far between. Every other month you'll get a first-timer asking for something ridiculous, but it's all good.

Man....one time there was this dude who would have his girlfriend walk up to us and hand over a $100 bill. Dude must have tipped us $500 throughout the night and he never said shit! God bless that man.

Bowls
http://twitter.com/Bowls615

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu May-07-15 10:44 AM

75. "Shit!! I never get super huge tips like that. Black folks cheap, SMH!"
In response to Reply # 70

lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Thu May-07-15 09:52 AM

71. "tryna interrupt me right at the CRUCIAL transition point when blending"
In response to Reply # 0

"If you wanna help us, fine. Sit down with your kids and make 'em study at night...otherwise, shoot THIS mothaf*cka!" (c) Morgan Freeman,

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu May-07-15 10:41 AM

72. "Man. That's def something I coulda mentioned too. People never"
In response to Reply # 71

get that part. They think we're blatantly ignoring them for no reason, but they'll come right at that moment. Almost like, "he must not be doing anything since nobody's talking to him right now, so let me tell him."

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Thu May-07-15 12:11 PM

78. "Last summer at Makossa this girl walked behind the DJ booth"
In response to Reply # 0

and was livid because one of the dj's we had one started playing Bobby Womack (who had just passed away that same week). She had braces too and had her lip stuck out. She looked like a kid having a temper tandrum. She wouldn't move either. It was totally weird.

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

teefiveten
33019 posts
Thu May-07-15 12:31 PM

79. "lol she was so mad. people are crazy. she was also kinda racist"
In response to Reply # 78

i think she was mad and thought he was gonna play boring ass music b/c he was white

but by the end of his set he was in a completely different spot genre wise

that's why i love our party

like.me

cwtchy
Member since Jun 11th 2014
16 posts
Thu May-07-15 12:41 PM

80. "RE: lol she was so mad. people are crazy. she was also kinda racist"
In response to Reply # 79

Great breakdown.

It's so annoying, when people demand that you play something.
So many reasons why that ain't possible.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Thu May-07-15 12:45 PM

81. "The Aint No Fun story is great"
In response to Reply # 0

I can just picture it.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

stattic
Charter member
29791 posts
Thu May-07-15 12:58 PM

82. "Some DJs take themselves too seriously though"
In response to Reply # 0

Especially DJs that play lounges and bars with small areas for dancing and relatively few clientele. I don't know when this exactly happened, but sometime in the early 2000s or whenever simulation software was released, I noticed this quality among DJs in NYC who play relatively small venues, and it's hilarious. Dude, no one is paying you for your artistic ability to create the perfect vibe for this cocktail lounge in Alphabet City with 35 people in it.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu May-07-15 01:36 PM

84. "Oh for sure. LMAO at them trying to "set the mood" in that type spot"
In response to Reply # 82

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Thu May-07-15 02:29 PM

85. "One of my biggest regrets in life"
In response to Reply # 0

Is not learning this shit from Roc Raida

I lived next door to dude for a few years before he died, talked to him all the time. Great guy, amazing stories.

The ability to rock a party like that, something I always wanted to learn.

These DJ post are really making me want to try this out just for fun to see how good I can get.

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

teefiveten
33019 posts
Thu May-07-15 03:46 PM

86. "how NOT to request a song"
In response to Reply # 0

i love this series.

http://www.jonolivermusic.com/category/how-not-to-request-a-song/

like.me

lazyboi
Charter member
134473 posts
Fri May-08-15 09:05 AM

87. "holding your drink over my turntable and mixer..i get on that onyx"
In response to Reply # 0

bacdafucup

Lobby General Discussion topic #12798753 Previous topic | Next topic