Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12797956

Subject: "How hard is it to find a mid-level part-time job???" Previous topic | Next topic
NikaMandela
Charter member
35230 posts
Tue May-05-15 02:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How hard is it to find a mid-level part-time job???"

anyone here have one?

i NEED one.

there aren't many out there on the job sites, but I'm wondering if there's a treasure trove just for part time work that i didn't know about.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
what's mid-level?
May 05th 2015
in my job search I have seen some
May 05th 2015
Can you clarify a bit further what you desire out of the job?
May 05th 2015

tariqhu
Charter member
17911 posts
Tue May-05-15 03:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "what's mid-level?"
In response to Reply # 0

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

afropuff
Charter member
7580 posts
Tue May-05-15 06:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "in my job search I have seen some"
In response to Reply # 0

That are if u r in the accounting field. Like ar/ap, or if u know QuickBooks or something. Some ppl don't need a full time person to do their acctg

But in general that's hard to find, would be found more at a small company that can't afford to pay someone full time

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Tue May-05-15 08:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Can you clarify a bit further what you desire out of the job?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-05-15 08:30 PM by kfine

Is your priority to do something specialized, make a set amount of extra income each month, build a brand,etc.?

Or, is it the flexibility you're after? As in you desire a little extra income, but the amount you make and the type of work you do is negotiable as long as you're not bored to death?

If you identify more with the first option, have you tried searching for consultancies or fellowships? Those usually call for more seasoned professionals and are frequently fixed-term, short-term or as-needed/flex arrangements. Then, I would expect to do more leg work than usual since organizations/institutions aren't always advertising their need for some temporary help. And have you tried idealist.org? I find that the opportunities posted there are a little more off-the-beaten-path compared to the job aggregator sites. A lot more non-profits, special projects, etc. Also, craigslist can be good for short little specialized gigs.

If you identify more with the latter option, then perhaps look into a placement agency. I once worked with an older management professional/mom who strongly preferred temping as a career: she loved the flexibility, the clearly defined work and relief from office politics. Plus, she could still enjoy some degree of stability/structure working for an agency. The agency does all the grunt work to place you.

From what I recall about your posting, you do writing/editing and graphics/visual art correct? You could try assisting business development activities at some small to medium sized company/institution, helping with proposals, reports, graphics requests and such. And aren't you in the DC area?? Have you tried looking into any of the museums or galleries?

Lobby General Discussion topic #12797956 Previous topic | Next topic