Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12785615

Subject: "How should this situation have gone?" Previous topic | Next topic
MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How should this situation have gone?"

I walked into a store Saturday for record store day. I'm on my bike, so I have a back pack on and I usually don't think about. After being in the store for a minute one of the cashiers asks if she can take it to the front. I say sure, put my helmet in it, and ask her where's the RSD stuff. Just one crate, small, but I found the KMD black bastards in there.

So I'm walking around with it in my hand and I go to look at DVDS, mind you there's like 30-40 other people and multiple employees in this big ass store. She comes back over to me and asks if she can hold that while I look around. I already had picked up a used dvd so I handed her both, but she just said she needed that KMD, so I handed that to her. Stood for about a minute then dipped out.

At the time I didn't care too much, I wasn't gonna make a scene over someone acting funky. And I got money, so I wasn't feeling too pressed on anyone's opinion over me. But the second act felt very unnecessary considering I handed them my back pack which alone costed more than anything I had in my hand, but also contained my camera, iPad, helmet, a book, and second phone.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I wouldn't have spent my money in there either
Apr 20th 2015
I bought that KMD. But I don't think I'll go back.
Apr 20th 2015
this was common practice for 2nd-hand record stores...
Apr 20th 2015
RE: this was common practice for 2nd-hand record stores...
Apr 20th 2015
its really not an issue...
Apr 20th 2015
      RE: its really not an issue...
Apr 20th 2015
i've been to plenty 2nd hand stores and never had that
Apr 20th 2015
      i gotta agree with you...
Apr 20th 2015
           it happened to me the last time i went shopping for clothes
Apr 20th 2015
did anyone else have shit in their hands?
Apr 20th 2015
RE: did anyone else have shit in their hands?
Apr 20th 2015
if they were treating me different than any of the other customers, i wo...
Apr 20th 2015
RE: if they were treating me different than any of the other customers, ...
Apr 20th 2015
      i think you're missing the point...
Apr 20th 2015
hurry up & buy!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIk0abbYgXQ
Apr 20th 2015
I woulda waited a few to see if it was a common thing...
Apr 20th 2015
i would've told her i'll gladly leave the store b/c my presence
Apr 20th 2015
Hmmm...if it was this spot in downtown Silver Spring.....
Apr 20th 2015
I had a friend from college who prided himself on stealing records
Apr 20th 2015
the issue I have with this is...
Apr 20th 2015

SuiteLady
Member since Oct 19th 2004
16194 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I wouldn't have spent my money in there either"
In response to Reply # 0

♥ Inescapably Me ♥

"Love is never any better than the lover" Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye)

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:36 PM

4. "I bought that KMD. But I don't think I'll go back. "
In response to Reply # 1

Record store day.

------

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:30 PM

2. "this was common practice for 2nd-hand record stores..."
In response to Reply # 0

..theft was always a huge problem for them, since most of them didn't employ anti-theft sensors.

most outlets would require that you check all bags and they would walk perspective purchases to the cashier and hold that until you were ready to check out.

they should have clear signage posted explaining store policy when you walk in the door, but i wouldn't make much of it.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:37 PM

5. "RE: this was common practice for 2nd-hand record stores..."
In response to Reply # 2

Interesting. That's a pretty miserable shopping experience.

------

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:42 PM

10. "its really not an issue..."
In response to Reply # 5

..when its established from the door.

people were always boosting from record stores (pre-mp3 era). larger chains chose to employ security sensors (and passed on the cost of stolen items to their customer base). small stores had no choice but to use extreme measures to protect their bottom line.

and it wasn't prejudiced by culture/race. every customer was subjected to the same standards.

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:47 PM

11. "RE: its really not an issue..."
In response to Reply # 10

Got it. And the dvd was just a case, I wonder if she would've held a record. Oh well.

------

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 01:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "i've been to plenty 2nd hand stores and never had that "
In response to Reply # 2

experience. the taking of the backpack - yes. but following me around and offering to hold anything i pick up? no.

i've definitely had store employees follow me and offer to hold items i've selected - it's happened often enough that i feel comfortable distinguishing actual helpfulness from passive-aggressive racist bullshit. but i've not experienced it in enough used record stores to agree that's common practice.

fuck you.

StephBMore
Member since Sep 11th 2014
1373 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 02:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "i gotta agree with you..."
In response to Reply # 16

the backpack, bag thing...that's common. but coming up to me asking to hold the records or dvds I picked out? that's odd, especially if I don't notice you doing that with anyone else...I probably would have said "nah, i'm good, just trying to figure out what I want" to gauge the employee's response. If she would have been huffy, I probably would have bought the KMD (since he really wanted that) and then told her about herself...like really? Where am I hiding a damn record?

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 02:11 PM

19. "it happened to me the last time i went shopping for clothes"
In response to Reply # 17

every time i picked up an item some store clerk showed up offering to put it in a dressing room for me or to hold it at the counter. keep in mind i wasn't carrying a bag and wasn't wearing a heavy coat. i allowed it though i was a bit uncomfortable b/c i told myself she was working hard for a commission. but she gave me that 'racist bullshit' feeling at the same time. and i really liked the hoodie i had selected and i wanted a new pair of jeans too. so i kept shopping. and then i started fucking w/her and picked up items i didn't want just to see her scramble. i had her walk back and forth between me, my fitting room and her register about 8 times. finally i decided i'd had enough and left that store w/o buying or trying on anything.

fuck you.

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:33 PM

3. "did anyone else have shit in their hands?"
In response to Reply # 0

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:38 PM

7. "RE: did anyone else have shit in their hands?"
In response to Reply # 3

I don't know. I was in get up and get my music mode. I grabbed the last Dilla at the next store.

------

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:38 PM

6. "if they were treating me different than any of the other customers, i wo..."
In response to Reply # 0

dipped.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

MEAT
22257 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:41 PM

9. "RE: if they were treating me different than any of the other customers, ..."
In response to Reply # 6

I feel like the second part was different. I cant remember someone asking to hold my planned purchase in almost 20 years. If it's that serious lock it up.

------

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:48 PM

12. "i think you're missing the point..."
In response to Reply # 9

>I feel like the second part was different. I cant remember
>someone asking to hold my planned purchase in almost 20 years.
>If it's that serious lock it up.

they DID. that same method was applied years ago and it became more of a hassle (imagine having to unlock a case for EVERY customer each time they considered making a purchase while browsing).

i don't know if you were being unfairly profiled (based on your info) or if the store was simply following a relaxed protocol in place to prevent overall theft. while profiling has certainly been an issue, its fairly reasonable to consider the security issues the stores might be facing.

SooperEgo
Charter member
11338 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:41 PM

8. "hurry up & buy!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIk0abbYgXQ"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIk0abbYgXQ

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79601 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:52 PM

13. "I woulda waited a few to see if it was a common thing..."
In response to Reply # 0

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 01:02 PM

14. "i would've told her i'll gladly leave the store b/c my presence"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Apr-20-15 01:02 PM by SoWhat

is making her so uncomfortable. and i'd let her know i planned to post about this incident on Facebook, Twitter and Yelp.

and i wouldn't have spent a dime.

fuck you.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 01:02 PM

15. "Hmmm...if it was this spot in downtown Silver Spring....."
In response to Reply # 0

then that's their common practice.....
I haven't been in YEARS....maybe since like 2000 even....but I distinctly remember they had to hold my bag and my potential purchases....well...they offered for the potential purchases...but I was done so I just rolled up to the cashier and dipped....

Cy's right about theft at music stores....... when I worked at The Record Exchange back in NC we had a 2-way mirror in the back and we'd frequently catch the most blatant and flagrant thievery you could imagine.
At this other spot I worked, CD Superstore, we used the magnetic strip things....and we'd stick them on people we SUSPECTED but didn't witness.... we had about a 75% hit rate though...so we kept it up.... race wasn't a factor.... redneck, preppy white kids, black kids, snotty old white men.....people in general are some thieves yo....

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79601 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 02:13 PM

20. "I had a friend from college who prided himself on stealing records"
In response to Reply # 15

he came over and my Jimi hendrix was missing.. I thought he cuffed it but it turned up.

Damn shame I thought he stole it but that was his thing.

StephBMore
Member since Sep 11th 2014
1373 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 02:03 PM

18. "the issue I have with this is..."
In response to Reply # 0

she didn't offer any other assistance (based on your OP) and he just took it and left...that's odd to me. Granted I have been in clothing stores and they asked to hold or start a room for me...which makes sense because clothes, for the most part of bulky...but I would have been put off if she asked to hold one particular record...like I said above...I would have said "nah I'm good" and based on her reaction, decide whether I was going to spend my money or not.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12785615 Previous topic | Next topic