Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12747585

Subject: "Fat Faced Chicken loving NYC folks, your dreams have been fulfilled" Previous topic | Next topic
Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 09:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Fat Faced Chicken loving NYC folks, your dreams have been fulfilled"

Chick-Fil-A is scheduled to open up a new Chick-Fil-A that should open up this summer. Have to admit, I'll probabaly head over there on cheat day Saturdays to get some nice waffle fries.

Link and swipe below.

Link: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20150310/RETAIL_APPAREL/150319994/chick-fil-a-to-launch-first-nyc-eatery-on-sixth-ave

Swipe:

Three-story Chick-fil-A to open here this summer
The popular fried chicken sandwich chain will establish a three-story location on Sixth Avenue, but don't expect it to be open on Sunday.

Adrianne Pasquarelli
Courtesy of Chick-fil-A
Rendering of New York City's first Chick-fil-A on Sixth Avenue at the corner of West 37th Street.

Published: March 10, 2015 - 10:20 am

Why did the chicken cross the Hudson? To open the first stand-alone Chick-fil-A in New York City.

The Atlanta-based restaurant chain will debut a three-level eatery at 1000 Sixth Ave., at the corner of West 37th Street, in late summer. The 5,000-square-foot space marks the 48-year-old company’s first foray into the Big Apple market, though it has operated a tiny outpost within the food hall of New York University’s campus for years. The closest location is 15 miles away in Paramus, N.J.

"We are beyond excited about opening our first freestanding restaurant in New York," said Carrie Kurlander, vice president of public relations. "This location will allow us to serve fans who have been asking us to come to New York and to earn the opportunity to serve new customers." She noted that the company is actively working on additional restaurants to open here this year and next.

Like its other 1,850 locations, Chick-fil-A’s New York restaurant, which is a franchise location, will not be open on Sundays, as the company "believes all operators and team members deserve a day off," according to a spokeswoman. Of course, only operating six days of a week will make affording the city’s hefty rents a difficult task. The asking rent for the Sixth Avenue space was $450 a square foot for the ground floor, for example.

It also remains to be seen how the city’s gay community will welcome the chain. Chick-fil-A met with controversy three years ago in Boston following anti-same-sex marriage comments made by company Chief Executive Dan Cathy. Since then, Mr. Cathy has reportedly said he will no longer mix business with social issues.

" believes in doing everything with integrity, and that really comes across," said Michael Cohen, the owner of the Sixth Avenue space.

"We hope that Chick-fil-A's planned entrance to New York City comes with a side of LGBT-inclusivity and a newly-thought strategy for supporting ventures that are equality friendly," said Nathan Schaefer, executive director of Empire State Pride Agenda. "The bedrock of our city is built on diversity and the history of the LGBT civil rights movement took place on our streets; we encourage all new businesses, including Chick-fil-A, to learn from the mistakes they've made and welcome a new era that is reflective of the people they will be serving."
Courtesy of Chick-fil-A

The eatery, whose ground and second floors and basement are 2,200 square feet each, will boast 10 registers—more than any other existing outpost—and as many as 80 seats. Its position on the Sixth Avenue corridor will further connect the growing neighborhoods of Herald Square and Bryant Park, said Jack Terzi, the JTRE Holdings broker who handled negotiations for Mr. Cohen.

"There’s tremendous retail activity in the area," said Mr. Terzi. He noted that he will soon market a space on West 38th Street and Sixth Avenue.

Jeremy Ezra of RKF represented the chicken chain in negotiations.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
3 Story? Wow
Mar 10th 2015
Yeah, at three stories
Mar 11th 2015
Literally an avenue away from the JOB. Problems.
Mar 11th 2015
RE: Literally an avenue away from the JOB. Problems.
Mar 11th 2015
I'm happy and sad that I don't work on 35th anymore
Mar 11th 2015
Damn at the rent
Mar 11th 2015
RE: Damn at the rent
Mar 11th 2015
RE: Damn at the rent
Mar 11th 2015
Par for the course here in the city
Mar 11th 2015
      plus there are probably plenty of concessions in the lease
Mar 11th 2015
           If you can give more info, what do you mean?
Mar 11th 2015
                basically anything that will sweeten or close the deal
Mar 11th 2015
                     RE: basically anything that will sweeten or close the deal
Mar 11th 2015
                          concessions don't only come in the form of tax breaks n/m
Mar 11th 2015
damn @ 3 stories. but trust that service still going be on point
Mar 11th 2015
I'd rather have 3 stores distributed throughout the city.
Mar 11th 2015
I have a feeling the Chick-Fil-A doesn't want
Mar 11th 2015
      my local Five Guys in Flushing closed as well
Mar 11th 2015
employees will be out on the curb taking orders on ipads...
Mar 11th 2015
      yea they do that at the chik fil a in atlanta
Mar 11th 2015
      ya they dont play, they probably still hit you with the "my pleasure"
Mar 11th 2015
Gonna be nuts. Manhattan has 7 Shake Shakes and they stay packed
Mar 11th 2015
what's the verdict on shake shack?
Mar 11th 2015
      Imho, compared to in and out, no
Mar 11th 2015
      Imho, compared to in and out, no
Mar 11th 2015
      The shakes are better than the burgers
Mar 11th 2015
      RE: The shakes are better than the burgers
Mar 11th 2015
           people go to Shake Shack for their health? that's news to me
Mar 11th 2015
                For the prices charged
Mar 11th 2015
      i like em
Mar 11th 2015
      the only thing to come close is Super Duper in SF and its better imo
Mar 11th 2015
Is Ranch 1 still around?
Mar 11th 2015
a. ZOOOOMMMG
Mar 11th 2015
      I'm remembered!
Mar 11th 2015
           woooow
Mar 11th 2015
           dude daytime okp aint the same either lol
Mar 11th 2015
I visited the test kitchen for the 3-story Chik Fil-A
Mar 11th 2015
I would have died to have been a fly on that wall.
Mar 11th 2015
man
Mar 11th 2015
at least its the west side
Mar 11th 2015

Starks dunked on Bulls
Member since Dec 07th 2011
12028 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 10:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "3 Story? Wow"
In response to Reply # 0

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 07:54 AM

3. "Yeah, at three stories"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm worried that's going to be a tourist death trap in terms of how crowded it's going to be. I still plan to treat myself on Saturdays though. I don't know of too many places where I can get waffle cut fries.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49333 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 06:44 AM

2. "Literally an avenue away from the JOB. Problems. "
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 08:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: Literally an avenue away from the JOB. Problems. "
In response to Reply # 2

lol.....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "I'm happy and sad that I don't work on 35th anymore"
In response to Reply # 2

This would be a HUGE problem for me. In the summer when I have my bike though I still might make a run. My GOD I can't wait for those breakfast chicken biscuits! I've only had them MAYBE twice and cursed the heavens ever since.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

DaHeathenOne76
Member since May 11th 2003
29362 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 08:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Damn at the rent"
In response to Reply # 0

he asking rent for the Sixth Avenue space was $450 a square foot for the ground floor, for example.

The eatery, whose ground and second floors and basement are 2,200 square feet each

But between the transplants and the hipsters, CF gonna be alright.
huh

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:18 AM

14. "RE: Damn at the rent"
In response to Reply # 4

>he asking rent for the Sixth Avenue space was $450 a square
>foot for the ground floor, for example.
>
>The eatery, whose ground and second floors and basement are
>2,200 square feet each

I'm assuming that you crunch numbers for a living or own your own business to want to crunch those numbers on your own initiative.

>But between the transplants and the hipsters, CF gonna be
>alright.

I'm sure that location will be quite profitable, even with them closing on Sundays; longtime NYC folks like myself will flock to this store in droves based on the fact they store has been held back for years now, outside of the Chick-Fil-A for NYU students. And holding the initial opening to one location will drive folks there even more than if there were multiple spots in the city.

DaHeathenOne76
Member since May 11th 2003
29362 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:02 PM

28. "RE: Damn at the rent"
In response to Reply # 14

>I'm assuming that you crunch numbers for a living or own your
>own business to want to crunch those numbers on your own
>initiative.

Yes and yes. LOL

huh

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:50 AM

20. "Par for the course here in the city"
In response to Reply # 4

It's amazing how much rent goes for. Whatever Chick fil A is paying in Herald Square, it's probably less than what Shake Shack and Apple pay for their space in Grand Central Terminal. But these places make enough to cover that rent. I'm amazed by it.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

BabySoulRebel
Charter member
19232 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "plus there are probably plenty of concessions in the lease"
In response to Reply # 20

I see this up close and personal everyday

here for dis.

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 11:44 AM

23. "If you can give more info, what do you mean?"
In response to Reply # 21

I'm aware for rental locations there are tax breaks if a certain amount of space is reserved for low income folks, but I wasn't aware retail spots had concessions.

BabySoulRebel
Charter member
19232 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
31. "basically anything that will sweeten or close the deal"
In response to Reply # 23

regardless of whether it's commercial or residential
that's about as deep as I can go on the topic.

here for dis.

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 03:57 PM

32. "RE: basically anything that will sweeten or close the deal"
In response to Reply # 31

>regardless of whether it's commercial or residential
>that's about as deep as I can go on the topic.

Outside of employment practices and maybe space for handicapped/wheelchair folk, I can't think of anything else that could merit a tax break for a retail space. I wish I knew more info just out of want to know more, but I respect that you have to keep your mouth shut since your knowledge is job related and is tied to contracts you're had hands in.

BabySoulRebel
Charter member
19232 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 04:13 PM

33. "concessions don't only come in the form of tax breaks n/m"
In response to Reply # 32

here for dis.

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 08:33 AM

6. "damn @ 3 stories. but trust that service still going be on point"
In response to Reply # 0

that's probably going be 100+ high quality low level jobs (relatively)

~~~~~~

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49333 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 08:46 AM

7. "I'd rather have 3 stores distributed throughout the city."
In response to Reply # 6

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 08:58 AM

10. "I have a feeling the Chick-Fil-A doesn't want"
In response to Reply # 7

to oversaturate NYC at first. I know of two Five Guys spots that closed down late last year; one near the Wall Street area and one that was close to Barclays Arena. Build one spot to properly gauge interest and build further locations if this one spot is profitable. Also, multi-level fast food joints are present in NYC; I know of a Burger King spot near the Wall Street area that is either two or three stories.

BabySoulRebel
Charter member
19232 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 04:20 PM

35. "my local Five Guys in Flushing closed as well"
In response to Reply # 10

to make way for a Nike Clearance Store

here for dis.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79325 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:39 AM

17. "employees will be out on the curb taking orders on ipads..."
In response to Reply # 6

I went through drive through and it was slammed packed with 10 cars ahead of me..

thought it would be a long wait...

an employee walked up to my car in the rain to take my order.

MIND BLOWN!!!

southphillyman
90059 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:10 PM

30. "yea they do that at the chik fil a in atlanta"
In response to Reply # 17

don't matter if the line is around the corner
by the time you get to that front shit will be ready

~~~~~~

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 08:11 PM

39. "ya they dont play, they probably still hit you with the "my pleasure" "
In response to Reply # 17

too

good little chicken drones

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 08:49 AM

8. "Gonna be nuts. Manhattan has 7 Shake Shakes and they stay packed"
In response to Reply # 0

Considering how niche of a product this is, it's gonna be 30+ minute lines indefinately.

>Chick-Fil-A is scheduled to open up a new Chick-Fil-A that
>should open up this summer. Have to admit, I'll probabaly head
>over there on cheat day Saturdays to get some nice waffle
>fries.
>
>Link and swipe below.
>
>Link:
>http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20150310/RETAIL_APPAREL/150319994/chick-fil-a-to-launch-first-nyc-eatery-on-sixth-ave
>
>Swipe:
>
>Three-story Chick-fil-A to open here this summer
>The popular fried chicken sandwich chain will establish a
>three-story location on Sixth Avenue, but don't expect it to
>be open on Sunday.
>
>Adrianne Pasquarelli
>Courtesy of Chick-fil-A
>Rendering of New York City's first Chick-fil-A on Sixth Avenue
>at the corner of West 37th Street.
>
>Published: March 10, 2015 - 10:20 am
>
>Why did the chicken cross the Hudson? To open the first
>stand-alone Chick-fil-A in New York City.
>
>The Atlanta-based restaurant chain will debut a three-level
>eatery at 1000 Sixth Ave., at the corner of West 37th Street,
>in late summer. The 5,000-square-foot space marks the
>48-year-old company’s first foray into the Big Apple market,
>though it has operated a tiny outpost within the food hall of
>New York University’s campus for years. The closest location
>is 15 miles away in Paramus, N.J.
>
>"We are beyond excited about opening our first freestanding
>restaurant in New York," said Carrie Kurlander, vice president
>of public relations. "This location will allow us to serve
>fans who have been asking us to come to New York and to earn
>the opportunity to serve new customers." She noted that the
>company is actively working on additional restaurants to open
>here this year and next.
>
>Like its other 1,850 locations, Chick-fil-A’s New York
>restaurant, which is a franchise location, will not be open on
>Sundays, as the company "believes all operators and team
>members deserve a day off," according to a spokeswoman. Of
>course, only operating six days of a week will make affording
>the city’s hefty rents a difficult task. The asking rent for
>the Sixth Avenue space was $450 a square foot for the ground
>floor, for example.
>
>It also remains to be seen how the city’s gay community will
>welcome the chain. Chick-fil-A met with controversy three
>years ago in Boston following anti-same-sex marriage comments
>made by company Chief Executive Dan Cathy. Since then, Mr.
>Cathy has reportedly said he will no longer mix business with
>social issues.
>
>" believes in doing everything with integrity,
>and that really comes across," said Michael Cohen, the owner
>of the Sixth Avenue space.
>
>"We hope that Chick-fil-A's planned entrance to New York City
>comes with a side of LGBT-inclusivity and a newly-thought
>strategy for supporting ventures that are equality friendly,"
>said Nathan Schaefer, executive director of Empire State Pride
>Agenda. "The bedrock of our city is built on diversity and the
>history of the LGBT civil rights movement took place on our
>streets; we encourage all new businesses, including
>Chick-fil-A, to learn from the mistakes they've made and
>welcome a new era that is reflective of the people they will
>be serving."
>Courtesy of Chick-fil-A
>
>The eatery, whose ground and second floors and basement are
>2,200 square feet each, will boast 10 registers—more than
>any other existing outpost—and as many as 80 seats. Its
>position on the Sixth Avenue corridor will further connect the
>growing neighborhoods of Herald Square and Bryant Park, said
>Jack Terzi, the JTRE Holdings broker who handled negotiations
>for Mr. Cohen.
>
>"There’s tremendous retail activity in the area," said Mr.
>Terzi. He noted that he will soon market a space on West 38th
>Street and Sixth Avenue.
>
>Jeremy Ezra of RKF represented the chicken chain in
>negotiations.

southphillyman
90059 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 08:56 AM

9. "what's the verdict on shake shack?"
In response to Reply # 8

i'm going to one in april (plan my fat days out in advance)
but i recently heard it ain't really all that compared to something like in & out or fatburger

~~~~~~

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:42 AM

"Imho, compared to in and out, no"

Shake Shake has great seasoned quality meat & some cool ideas (their fried mushroom+cheddar patty is to die for, particularly stacked on top of their regular burger).

However the fries suck ass, along with waiting 20 minutes in some location to get one.

Imho, factoring price and everything else, I prefer In and Out. But it's still a good burger. Not a huge fan of Fatburger, and while I mess with 5 Guys its mainly because of the ten tons of fries they throw at you.

>i'm going to one in april (plan my fat days out in advance)
>but i recently heard it ain't really all that compared to
>something like in & out or fatburger

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:42 AM

18. "Imho, compared to in and out, no"
In response to Reply # 9

Shake Shake has great seasoned quality meat & some cool ideas (their fried mushroom+cheddar patty is to die for, particularly stacked on top of their regular burger).

However the fries suck ass, along with waiting 20 minutes in some location to get one.

Imho, factoring price and everything else, I prefer In and Out. But it's still a good burger. Not a huge fan of Fatburger, and while I mess with 5 Guys its mainly because of the ten tons of fries they throw at you.

>i'm going to one in april (plan my fat days out in advance)
>but i recently heard it ain't really all that compared to
>something like in & out or fatburger

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:47 AM

19. "The shakes are better than the burgers"
In response to Reply # 9

The burgers are aight. You can get comparable or better burgers for the same price anywhere. The shakes stand out to me. In any event, it's NOT worth the 20 minute wait tourists endure just to go there. It's just a burger place.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 11:58 AM

25. "RE: The shakes are better than the burgers"
In response to Reply # 19

>The burgers are aight. You can get comparable or better
>burgers for the same price anywhere. The shakes stand out to
>me. In any event, it's NOT worth the 20 minute wait tourists
>endure just to go there. It's just a burger place.

That sounds horrible, given that the prices are fairly high and from what I see, the burgers aren't organic or too healthy compared to other standard burger joints. I'm glad I never took the plunge and made the trek to the one in Downtown Brooklyn.

BabySoulRebel
Charter member
19232 posts

37. "people go to Shake Shack for their health? that's news to me"
In response to Reply # 25

here for dis.

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 08:00 PM

38. "For the prices charged"
In response to Reply # 37

I was expecting to see healthier burger options, like Bison or Ostrich burgers. They looks like average burgers found in normal burger spots.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 11:59 AM

26. "i like em"
In response to Reply # 9

but yes just slightly above average

shakes are better
fries i think as well

in and out only messes up because they don't offer bacon

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 04:16 PM

34. "the only thing to come close is Super Duper in SF and its better imo"
In response to Reply # 9

http://www.superdupersf.com

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

doublearon258
Member since Sep 04th 2003
3876 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:13 AM

12. "Is Ranch 1 still around?"
In response to Reply # 0

Most bland chicken fingers I've ever encountered in life!

BabySoulRebel
Charter member
19232 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:14 AM

13. "a. ZOOOOMMMG"
In response to Reply # 12

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN????

and b. Yes, yes they are and they are horrible.

here for dis.

doublearon258
3876 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:18 AM

15. "I'm remembered!"
In response to Reply # 13

The last couple of companies I've worked for blocked sites like OKP. I would have to wait until I got home to post. Night time OKP just aint the same, so I've been lurkin like a mug, lol.

lfresh
92696 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:00 PM

27. "woooow"
In response to Reply # 15

*waves*
=)
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32079 posts

36. "dude daytime okp aint the same either lol "
In response to Reply # 15

doublearon258
3876 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:32 AM

16. "I visited the test kitchen for the 3-story Chik Fil-A"
In response to Reply # 0

Chik-Fil-A headquarters are located here in Atlanta and for work we went to visit them. We got a chance to see a mock-up of the NYC stores. The three story stores are BEAUTIFUL! They def put a lot of work and research into the design and customer usability of those stores.

BabySoulRebel
Charter member
19232 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:56 AM

22. "I would have died to have been a fly on that wall."
In response to Reply # 16

here for dis.

lfresh
92696 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 12:04 PM

29. "man"
In response to Reply # 16

we are going to tear those up
=(

the sheer volume of people

i need to get in early while its good
~~~~
~~~~

lfresh
92696 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 11:54 AM

24. "at least its the west side"
In response to Reply # 0

a train ride away

i'm SO in there

Lobby General Discussion topic #12747585 Previous topic | Next topic