Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12747516

Subject: "You find a text message on your child's phone sayng" Previous topic | Next topic
Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 08:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"You find a text message on your child's phone sayng"
Tue Mar-10-15 08:25 PM by Sarah_Bellum

they wish you were dead.

This is after being told by your youngest children that she told them she wants them dead. (siblings are 8 and 10) Note: they all share a room.

The child is 13 or 14 and she is already in counseling but the counselor says she's fine and even "improving."

She's Black (surprise) and going through it with her mother and step father. She wants to run away to live with her dad, who is in an out of jail, gives her no rules and passes her off to grandma to watch.

You're the parent, what do you do?

DJTB YOMM

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Find her a new therapist and also do family counseling
Mar 10th 2015
Safety first.
Mar 10th 2015
honestly... talk it out...
Mar 10th 2015
give her the angie stone special.
Mar 10th 2015
I saw that episode
Mar 10th 2015
was that from this story?
Mar 11th 2015
i sure wished/prayed for my parents' death multiple times
Mar 10th 2015
Would you worry about the safety of the younger siblings kids?
Mar 10th 2015
      I mean, there isn't a shortage of stories about that...
Mar 10th 2015
      that girl thought about it for 10 or 15 minutes...
Mar 11th 2015
      not based solely on those texts.
Mar 11th 2015
hard question: what's up with the stepfather?
Mar 10th 2015
The step father is overbearing
Mar 10th 2015
      she needs an aunt she can stay with
Mar 10th 2015
           maybe.
Mar 11th 2015
                yeah my suggestion is less about the threat of violence
Mar 11th 2015
                     word.
Mar 11th 2015
a teen sharing a room with two younger sibs and has a step dad...
Mar 10th 2015
Just talk... par for the course?
Mar 10th 2015
      Im not saying that, Im saying its understandable
Mar 10th 2015
buy that brat some gifts/presents. sleep with one eye open.
Mar 11th 2015
I'd see if a trusted adult could take the youngest children for a few da...
Mar 11th 2015
Say nothing and watch their behavior. Perhaps consult the therapist.
Mar 11th 2015
there's no real right answer to this. i just know the wrong answer is
Mar 11th 2015
found the text by snooping
Mar 11th 2015
question....
Mar 11th 2015

GirlChild
Charter member
56000 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 08:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Find her a new therapist and also do family counseling "
In response to Reply # 0

She might need to also find some other place for her to live if she's threatening the younger kids

Doronmonkflake
Member since Jan 10th 2007
11078 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 08:33 PM

3. "Safety first. "
In response to Reply # 1

Residential care is available and isn't always terrible. I worked at a kids facility in Hamden years ago. Some places have 1:1 full time counselors who keep a close eye on them and therapists on staff and the family can always visit.

Nobody should have to live in fear, least of all the kids.

Da bayball, babeh. (c) Charlie Kelly.

bonitaapplebaum71481
Member since Aug 04th 2003
22576 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 08:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "honestly... talk it out... "
In response to Reply # 0

most kids don't like being pressed for the truth but getting to the crux of the issue sounds like a good move

I know some folks are just prepared for teens to be difficult/moody but I've seen way too many positive relationships between past classmates and their folks to know it's not impossible

especially considering this chick's got multiple siblings and a step daddy, she probably feels irrelevant in such a big household... obviously there's more to it but Mom should def pull her to the side and take her out for ice cream or something

"i wanna hug all u idiotic bastards & then set you all on fire" -Bin

www.twitter.com/bedstuybetty
http://bedstuybetty.tumblr.com/
DROkayplayer: Giving you good puff since May '05

SHAstayhighalways
Member since Sep 03rd 2014
3696 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 08:33 PM

4. "give her the angie stone special."
In response to Reply # 0

j/k
honestly idk that's just crazy
i saw an episode of snapped where these twin girls (black) killed their mom
because she had gone through some issues and they lived with their grandmother for a while
grandmother was old and couldn't control them so they got to do whatever they wanted
mother gets her life together goes back to school all types of shit just turns over a
new leaf to get her kids back and these lil girls (about 15/16) would gang up on her
because they were like how you gonna just roll back into our lives being a real mother and shit??
they ganged up on her and jumped her a couple of times
the mother says to one of her co-workers one day 'if i come up dead them lil girls did it'
and low and behold she comes up dead and them girls did it
not to scare you or anything but thats the first thing that i thought of while reading this

have they told the counselor about the death threats?
maybe they need a second opinion?

www.royallegacy.org

For Real (Official Video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBRoCPO8esE

labcoat
Member since Jun 15th 2006
14585 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 08:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I saw that episode"
In response to Reply # 4

It was crazy! !!

--------------
Daren, I'll never forget you
http://www.fayemurman.com/extras/magee/daren/

tariqhu
Charter member
17882 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 08:53 AM

16. "was that from this story?"
In response to Reply # 4

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/conyers/2014/05/14/jasmiyah-tasmiyah-whitehead-murder-case-part-3/9107451/

shit was crazy.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 08:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "i sure wished/prayed for my parents' death multiple times"
In response to Reply # 0

b/c, you know, they beat me.

LOL

but i didn't kill them.

if she were my kid i'd bring up the texts w/her therapist since the kid's therapy sessions don't seem confidential. i'd want someone to help me figure out how serious she is if at all. b/c kids say all kinds of stuff w/o knowing the potential implications of what they're saying.

fuck you.

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 10:23 PM

7. "Would you worry about the safety of the younger siblings kids?"
In response to Reply # 5

the 8 year old and 10 year old she said she wanted dead too...

Kids are angsty against their their parents and even siblings but sometimes it ain't just angst. Kinda traumatizing for the other kids, so much so they told their mom.

DJTB YOMM

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 10:56 PM

9. "I mean, there isn't a shortage of stories about that..."
In response to Reply # 7

I don't remember what show it was but it was about parents living with kids that have bipolar disorder and ave threatened to kill them and/or their siblings and some of the kids on the show were institutionalized for that very reason, they attempted to choke their sister out in their sleep or threatened them with a knife over a sandwich.

here's a recent one: http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/23/justice/illinois-sister-stabbing/

"The teen told police she was mad that her sister didn't appreciate all she did for her, prosecutors said at the suspect's detention hearing Wednesday. WLS was at the hearing.

The teen said she cooked dinner for her younger sibling and performed other chores. She was also angry that the 11-year-old girl had recently hit her.

The night before the attack, the teen thought about it for about 10 or 15 minutes, then went downstairs and grabbed a knife, according to prosecutors.

After the stabbing, she took a shower to wash off the blood, called police and made up the story about the intruder, prosecutors said.

The 14-year-old was arrested and was charged with murder."

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "that girl thought about it for 10 or 15 minutes..."
In response to Reply # 9

she didn't send texts talking about it.

fuck you.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 08:48 AM

15. "not based solely on those texts."
In response to Reply # 7

I'd base it on what i also know about my daughter.

fuck you.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 10:25 PM

8. "hard question: what's up with the stepfather?"
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:20 PM

11. "The step father is overbearing "
In response to Reply # 8
Tue Mar-10-15 11:26 PM by Sarah_Bellum

according to the mother and daughter.
He's muslim (one has nothing to do with the other), got out of jail 5-6 years ago and my guess is that the mom made a lot of changes when he came around that were based on him and how he believes a family should be... rules, boundaries, clothing etc. This is all conjecture, but it seems like the kids had little structure and then bam all of a sudden mom is trying to add structure/be strict but not of her own volition, but in response to him, at least that's how I guess it appears to the daughter.

Mom ain't perfect neither. She one of those types that think parenting can come down to a meme and while down playing and glosses over the important shit... Because of that I can't tell whether to take the "i wish you were dead" stuff as nonsense or a warning sign.

The girl is reacting to a lot. She saw someone pull a gun on her bio dad when she was a kid and threaten to blow his brains out in front of her. She had nightmares behind that for years.

DJTB YOMM

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:26 PM

14. "she needs an aunt she can stay with"
In response to Reply # 11

continue seeking counseling, but it can only do so much if she has to keep returning to what sounds like an unstable environment. the mother is vested in the step-dad. nobody is listening to her. she needs someone to listen to her and put her needs first.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:11 AM

19. "maybe."
In response to Reply # 14

the text could be more of a cry for help than an actual threat.

that's why i'd want some professional to help me sort that out.

at her age she likely lacks the tools to communicate exactly what she's feeling and so i dunno that her texting that she wants to kill her mom and siblings actually means she wants to kill them. it could mean something else that's not threatening at all.

and i wouldn't want to remove her from her mom (me, i guess in this hypo) if she doesn't represent any actual threat.

but i agree the girl needs someone who will listen to her. like, really listen and not overreact.

fuck you.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:58 AM

20. "yeah my suggestion is less about the threat of violence"
In response to Reply # 19

which isn't to underplay that either, but rather acknowledging that she has few healthy outlets to communicate. and just having a counselor isn't enough in some cases (i say from experience). from her perspective it could be seen as a punishment which only fuels her anger. with two younger sibs a strict step dad and an idealized vision of her inaccessible dad... she needs someone she can trust has her interests at heart.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 11:08 AM

21. "word."
In response to Reply # 20

fuck you.

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:09 PM

10. "a teen sharing a room with two younger sibs and has a step dad..."
In response to Reply # 0

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:24 PM

12. "Just talk... par for the course? "
In response to Reply # 10

I don't know, these things are always so delicate. Most kids are just talk but 1 in a couple thousand take it further than that.

DJTB YOMM

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:25 PM

13. "Im not saying that, Im saying its understandable"
In response to Reply # 12

>I don't know, these things are always so delicate. Most kids
>are just talk but 1 in a couple thousand take it further than
>that.
>
>
>___________________________________________________________
>
>
>DJTB YOMM

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 10:04 AM

17. "buy that brat some gifts/presents. sleep with one eye open."
In response to Reply # 0

no_i_cant_dance
Member since Apr 10th 2006
5577 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 11:30 AM

22. "I'd see if a trusted adult could take the youngest children for a few da..."
In response to Reply # 0

Then, talk w/ the child in ? about why she feels this way + ask if she is being sexually abused, verbally abused, etc.
Link up w/ new therapist if able b/c this 1 don't sound on top of it at all.

Tbh, my brain automatically went to possible sexual abuse given the details.

I hope the children get the help & healing they deserve.

<<Mood...Poppy Okotcha in Look 1 at Ashish Fall 2016

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7KBq0q5bU

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 01:37 PM

23. "Say nothing and watch their behavior. Perhaps consult the therapist."
In response to Reply # 0

I had done that. It's teenage angst shit.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 02:13 PM

24. "there's no real right answer to this. i just know the wrong answer is"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-11-15 02:14 PM by BigJazz

doing nothing. you can't ignore this. you have to take action. there are a few actions you can take but you have to pick one or several and do it.

i know alotta people that do nothing thinking/hoping/praying that things work out. and i'm almost always against doing nothing...

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

sosumi
Member since May 30th 2012
858 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 04:08 PM

25. "found the text by snooping"
In response to Reply # 0

or was it like left out to be found?

snooping - kid is just venting

left out - kid is roundabout asking for help or yes maybe making a threat

mother should have a talk sans stepdad

KnowOne
Charter member
39942 posts
Wed Mar-11-15 04:12 PM

26. "question...."
In response to Reply # 0

what brought on the counseling? Is there a history of violence or acting out in any way?

I def fantasized about killing my family as a kid. And they were awesome loving parents. Never acted on it.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Lobby General Discussion topic #12747516 Previous topic | Next topic