Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12741203

Subject: "on: quitting a perfectly good job for no reason other than" Previous topic | Next topic
dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 05:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"on: quitting a perfectly good job for no reason other than"

you've been doing it many years and you wanna do something else

and i mean full on escape chute quitting, no other job in the wings, no substantial savings

how does that strike you?

my everyman wisdom tells me never to quit a job without having something else lined up, yet I find myself in a situation where I've done just that, for the first time in my life. I have mixed feelings about it

I mean, it was the right thing to do. In many important ways, it kinda had to be done. The timing, my hand, was forced a little bit. But I've needed to move on for some time now. But yeah, the whole no set plan thing. That's tough for me to stomach. I'm going a little crazy over it.

__

fairweather

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
nothing like having no ledge to push one to greater glory
Mar 03rd 2015
^^^
Mar 03rd 2015
Got wife and kids? If not, do what you like.
Mar 03rd 2015
nah altho i do have an aging parent im needing to support
Mar 03rd 2015
it's not uncommon in our line of work
Mar 03rd 2015
hook me up w a job T! my resume is bangin
Mar 03rd 2015
i'd rather get fired. but i understand.
Mar 03rd 2015
i'd be looking forward to severance pay.
Mar 03rd 2015
if your pillow is fat, do it.
Mar 03rd 2015
this was me last year
Mar 03rd 2015
It's gotta be nerve wracking, but ...
Mar 03rd 2015
i came close to doing this a couple times...
Mar 03rd 2015

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 05:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "nothing like having no ledge to push one to greater glory"
In response to Reply # 0

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 05:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 1

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 05:30 PM

2. "Got wife and kids? If not, do what you like. "
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 05:36 PM

6. "nah altho i do have an aging parent im needing to support"
In response to Reply # 2

but yeah maneuvering toward more income directly informed my decision to leave, only so much i can make here, even at the top

__

fairweather

teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts

4. "it's not uncommon in our line of work"
In response to Reply # 0

you'll be fine

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 05:48 PM

8. "hook me up w a job T! my resume is bangin"
In response to Reply # 4

n/m

__

fairweather

MrThomas43423
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
67613 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "i'd rather get fired. but i understand."
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------------
it's true what they say...people are strange, when you're strangers.

not compassionate....only polite.

I am not like you at all and i cannot pretend.

Deadzombie
Member since Aug 21st 2008
13358 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 08:42 PM

10. "i'd be looking forward to severance pay."
In response to Reply # 5

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 05:41 PM

7. "if your pillow is fat, do it. "
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

monifah
Charter member
10009 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 08:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "this was me last year"
In response to Reply # 0

Felt like I needed to do something drastic in order to get results, gave myself a date to be out and everything. Sadly I chickened out.

I don't believe in luck, I believe in Jesus...(c)Farnsworth Bentley

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24376 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 09:10 PM

11. "It's gotta be nerve wracking, but ..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-03-15 09:13 PM by Brew

I think, judging by the little info you gave us, you probably made a sound decision. Additionally it sounds like you have enough sense in you to use your anxiety about it as motivation to find something better, and you'll end up back on your feet in no time. Granted I have no idea what kind of career you're in...I'm just judging by the fact that it sounds like you have the proper positive attitude about it, despite some (natural, understandable) anxiety.

I found myself stuck in a job I hated for many years but never quit just because I was afraid of all the things you speak of...not having a back up plan, draining my savings, etc. I finally found a job worth leaving that other one for but I still always wish I had done so sooner, because it would've motivated me to get out there and find something good that I'd actually like. In the end, it worked out fine, I really like my new job...but I suffered in misery about 4 years longer than I probably should have considering, you know, life is short, etc. Oh well. Live and learn.

Anyway - didn't mean to post jack I just remember being in that position and am happy to hear you looked past your fear and went for it, unlike I did. I wish you the best. I'm actually interested to know how it works out for you.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 10:32 PM

12. "i came close to doing this a couple times..."
In response to Reply # 0

i never pulled the trigger. now i'm not in a position to ever even think about that shit again. i wish i woulda had one dramatic/random quitting though. i supposed the time i walked out of that standardized test grading job after 45 mins will have to do.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Lobby General Discussion topic #12741203 Previous topic | Next topic