Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12691627

Subject: "what type of refund would you expect in this scenario?" Previous topic | Next topic
dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"what type of refund would you expect in this scenario?"

you rent a vacation home on the ocean. Like unobstructedly on the waterfront, 180 degree views from every room. Secluded. Nice place. Fireplace, hot tub on the water. Romantic. Not crazy expensive, but a splurge for you. Paid in full at time of booking. You arrive after driving 6 hours to find out they double booked the rental, meaning they took both your money, and someone else's money, and the other folks are in the house.

they put you in another rental, which is just a regular house on the edge of town, near the ocean but not on it, no view, no firecplace, etc. Downgrade. The house is clean and well appointed, but has problems with heat (norcal coast - its cold) and hot tub (dirty and only half full).

you stay, because what else are you gonna do. duke it out a little on the front end, but basically are told you have to wait to deal with their customer care team or whatever. have an awesome time, in spite of the house.

after your stay the customer care folks are cagey and hard to deal with. You angle for a full refund, not expecting one necessarily, but as a starting negotiating position. Later suggest they take the true cost of the stay, housekeeping, shared costs like electric and water, so maybe $100 total, and refund the rest.

After many back and forths, they offer you $100 total for your troubles.

There are more details I could include, but that's the long and short of it. Is expecting something more substantial realistic? Worth the fight?

Yall make the call?

__

fairweather

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
probably depends on the management company but i would keep fighting
Jan 07th 2015
RE: what type of refund would you expect in this scenario?
Jan 07th 2015
these are both great suggestions.
Jan 07th 2015
hindsight is 20/20 but had the greatest negotiating power in the beginni...
Jan 07th 2015
yeah no doubt, i think they purposely beg you off til later to gain leve...
Jan 07th 2015
      I feel you...i guesss in that instance, i would have stayed the night at
Jan 07th 2015
i would ask for a full refund, and settle for no less than the differenc...
Jan 07th 2015
that's where i'd be at.
Jan 07th 2015
Call your cc company. They'll get your money back
Jan 07th 2015
RE: Call your cc company. They'll get your money back
Jan 07th 2015
that's his only recourse. they dont fight for you like they used to thou...
Jan 07th 2015
      it should be done. if your business gets a certain amount
Jan 07th 2015
they should refund and pay for gas monies
Jan 07th 2015
its bs.
Jan 07th 2015
That is bullshit, you should get way more than $100
Jan 07th 2015
yup...find out all the places they are listed and do reviews.
Jan 07th 2015
don't deal with shady ass companies
Jan 07th 2015
yep. i've heard this scam before. if you google the co's
Jan 07th 2015
i didn't think of the possibility of it being a scam but you are probabl...
Jan 07th 2015
hahah no these guys are basically legit
Jan 07th 2015
You didn't get what you paid for = full refund
Jan 07th 2015
This whole thing sounds ridiculous, I'm interested in the "more details...
Jan 07th 2015
Yep... sounds like something they do all the time.
Jan 07th 2015
i'ma write a yelp review and i want all my money back
Jan 07th 2015

sndesai1
Member since Feb 02nd 2013
1229 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 02:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "probably depends on the management company but i would keep fighting"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-07-15 02:57 AM by sndesai1

i love to avoid conflict, but that's some bullshit

imperial
Member since May 30th 2003
3792 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: what type of refund would you expect in this scenario?"
In response to Reply # 0

for starters get the difference on the pricing of the two properties, after that it would not be unreasonably to ask for 50% off the price of the lesser rental for your troubles.

most business don't like giving money back ones they have it in their books. See if you can
negotiate for a return visit in the unit you had paid for at a substantially discounted price.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59167 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 09:52 AM

3. "these are both great suggestions."
In response to Reply # 2

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Cenario
59167 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 09:56 AM

4. "hindsight is 20/20 but had the greatest negotiating power in the beginni..."
In response to Reply # 0

I know you were looking forward to it and did the 6 hour drive already, but i would have given the impression that i was prepared to leave with a full refund + expectation of something for the return visit for my troubles.

Why couldn't you talk to the customer care people before you agreed to anything else? that sounds like some bs right there to me.

If they had another available property, they weren't making any cake off it anyway. I would have argued for that spot complimentary, with a full refund.

If you start throwing around negative internet reviews, people start being cooperative.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:12 PM

7. "yeah no doubt, i think they purposely beg you off til later to gain leve..."
In response to Reply # 4

they offered me a full refund to leave, but it was night, i was far, and i clearly wasnt going anywhere

i pushed the issue of dealing with it more up front, but they simply wouldn't budge, their follow up team only corresponds by email (crazy), which I challenged via manager etc, but they weren't moving off that

they didnt have anything else to offer pre stay, either leave and take your money, or stay at this other spot. anything else had to go through customer care via email

__

fairweather

Cenario
59167 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:21 PM

10. "I feel you...i guesss in that instance, i would have stayed the night at"
In response to Reply # 7

the night at the other place while i tried to see what my other options were...what other rental homes, hotels were in the area even though it may not have been what you originally planned. If you paid with someone like AMEX, they would have refunded you your money if the new place wasn't up to your standards.

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:01 AM

5. "i would ask for a full refund, and settle for no less than the differenc..."
In response to Reply # 0

between what you paid and what the house you stayed in would have cost for the week. house #2 rents for significantly less than the waterfront nice ass house.

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "that's where i'd be at."
In response to Reply # 5

i think aiming for a free or substantially reduced rate for a future date at the nice beach house is a good idea too.

i still blame hip-hop.

unfukwitable
Charter member
22112 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 11:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Call your cc company. They'll get your money back"
In response to Reply # 0

======================================
http://www.zuitomedia.com/

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 05:02 PM

13. "RE: Call your cc company. They'll get your money back"
In response to Reply # 6

>
>======================================
>http://www.zuitomedia.com/

The first thing the credit card company will do is check the companies refund policy.. if it states they can put you up somewhere else then you just came up short.

i hope you took pictures of what you said.. call the Customer service department and tell them you will post pictures and review on Twitter and Facebook... and Yelp them...

most of the time they will escalate you to someone that can do a little more for you...

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 05:51 PM

16. "that's his only recourse. they dont fight for you like they used to thou..."
In response to Reply # 6

plus he *did* stay in the substitute place.

i mean it's worth a shot but i don't know how solid of an option it is.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

ndibs
Member since Aug 06th 2012
12715 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 06:53 PM

21. "it should be done. if your business gets a certain amount"
In response to Reply # 16

of chargebacks in a set period of time, then your processing fee rates will go up.

a lot of merchants hear that word and quake in their boots. not so much

because of the threat of the money getting refunded, but the rates.

jesustrauss
Member since Jul 20th 2006
1839 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:20 PM

9. "they should refund and pay for gas monies"
In response to Reply # 0

and that email-only scenario is ridiculous.

you should send carrier pigeons.

Cenario
59167 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 03:21 PM

11. "its bs."
In response to Reply # 9

>and that email-only scenario is ridiculous.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 04:56 PM

12. "That is bullshit, you should get way more than $100"
In response to Reply # 0

At a minimum the difference between the cost of the two rentals and honestly they should have thrown in some other shit to smooth it over, too.

You should have squared this away at the start though.

What would I pursue now? Full refund by way of your CC company. You probably won't get it though. Go balls-out ruining the renter's reputation though. The internet is a powerful tool.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Cenario
59167 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 05:20 PM

14. "yup...find out all the places they are listed and do reviews."
In response to Reply # 12

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 05:50 PM

15. "don't deal with shady ass companies"
In response to Reply # 0

ndibs
12715 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 06:50 PM

19. "yep. i've heard this scam before. if you google the co's "
In response to Reply # 15
Wed Jan-07-15 06:51 PM by ndibs

name or number, i'd bet money this scam would come up.

it's a common vacation scam.

Cenario
59167 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 07:58 PM

23. "i didn't think of the possibility of it being a scam but you are probabl..."
In response to Reply # 19

i would have made a big fuss up front anyway tho.

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 10:36 PM

24. "hahah no these guys are basically legit"
In response to Reply # 15

i even know why the error occurred, i understood, but ultimately dont care. its an internal thing, and the result to me as a customer is the same regardless

__

fairweather

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 06:14 PM

17. "You didn't get what you paid for = full refund"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-07-15 06:17 PM by bentagain

the contingent housing plan is the customer service part = the least they could do.

classic bait and switch

they 'mistakenly' double booked the dope spot

but just happened to have an opening in the off brand spot

*sideye*

and are going to charge you for a residence that would have otherwise been empty?

c'mon

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 06:34 PM

18. "This whole thing sounds ridiculous, I'm interested in the "more details..."
In response to Reply # 17

that he left out.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79545 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 07:36 PM

22. "Yep... sounds like something they do all the time. "
In response to Reply # 17

ndibs
12715 posts
Wed Jan-07-15 06:52 PM

20. "i'ma write a yelp review and i want all my money back"
In response to Reply # 0

i'll write reviews elsewhere and call non stop and let them know i have all the time in the world to get my money back.

Lobby General Discussion topic #12691627 Previous topic | Next topic