Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12685811

Subject: "DNA results, S Carolina = blk Ellis island, Price of success" Previous topic | Next topic
Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 08:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"DNA results, S Carolina = blk Ellis island, Price of success"

The dna testing/analysis company 23&me released some findings from their 160000+ dna sample collection-
Black ppl tested in the study are ~25% white
10% of whites in S Carolina & Louisiana are at least "one drop black"
28% is the tipping point of African genes where, above that, biracial ppl identify as black. Below that, most consider themselves white

~~~~~~OVerall-
On average, the scientists found, people who identified as African-American had genes that were only 73.2 percent African. European genes accounted for 24 percent of their DNA, while .8 percent came from Native Americans.

Latinos, on the other hand, had genes that were on average 65.1 percent European, 18 percent Native American, and 6.2 percent African. The researchers found that European-Americans had genomes that were on average 98.6 percent European, .19 percent African, and .18 Native American.

These broad estimates masked wide variation among individuals. Based on their sample, the resarchers estimated that over six million European-Americans have some African ancestry. As many as five million have genomes that are at least 1 percent Native American in origin. One in five African-Americans, too, has Native American roots.

Dr. Mountain and her colleagues also looked at how ancestry might influence ethnic identification.

Most Americans with less than 28 percent African-American ancestry say they are white, the researchers found. Above that threshold, people tended to describe themselves as African-American.

Katarzyna Bryc, a 23andMe researcher and co-author of the new study, didn’t want to speculate about why people’s sense of ethnic identity pivots at that point.

“We can only take it so far as geneticists,” she said.

The scientists also linked geographical patterns to their subjects’ ancestries. Latinos in the Southwest had high levels of Native American DNA, they found, while Latinos in the Southeast had high levels of African DNA.

The genes of African-Americans varied strikingly from state to state. In Oklahoma, the researchers estimated, 14 percent of African-Americans have genomes that are at least 2 percent Native American. This high percentage is probably due to the unique history of the state.

Some Native American tribes in the South, such as the Cherokee and Choctaw, kept African slaves. When they were expelled to Oklahoma in the 1830s, they brought the slaves with them. In some tribes, Native Americans and African slaves intermarried, and their descendants continue to live in Oklahoma today.

Dr. Saunt was fascinated in particular by the genetic findings among people in South Carolina. Dr. Mountain and her colleagues estimated that 13.3 percent of European-Americans in South Carolina have genes that are at least 1 percent African in origin.

At one point, Dr. Saunt noted, the percentage of South Carolina residents who were slaves was greater than in any other state. But there was also a large population of freed slaves in Charleston permitted to interact with whites.

“We know lots of planters had mistresses in Charleston, and they obviously had children together,” said Dr. Saunt. “So what happened to those children? Some remained in the African-American community, and some moved into the white community when they were able to.”

Jeffrey C. Long, an anthropologist at the University of New Mexico who was not involved in the study, cautioned that the research was not based on a random sample of Americans. Instead, Dr. Mountain and her colleagues studied only people who were curious enough about their DNA to pay for a test.

“Perhaps people who have mixed ancestry are more interested in their ancestry than people who don’t think they have mixed ancestry,” Dr. Long said.

David Reich, a geneticist at Harvard University and a co-author on the new study, acknowledged this was a reasonable concern. “It’s classic survey bias,” he said. But Dr. Reich also noted that the new results were consistent with smaller studies done in the past.

As genetic databases grow, Dr. Reich predicted it would be possible to get even more detailed insights into American history. DNA may be able to illuminate the movements of people across the United States, such as the Great Migration that took African-Americans from the South to Chicago.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/science/23andme-genetic-ethnicity-study.html?_r=0

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
water is wet
Dec 29th 2014
do u acknowledge S Carolina as the black Ellis Island/Plymouth rock?
Dec 29th 2014
80% of African-Americans have an ancestor who came through Charleston, S...
Dec 29th 2014
      this is deep and beautifully written....
Dec 29th 2014
           if u go before the museum is done, there's just the bench, the fort
Dec 29th 2014
                it really makes me want to go
Dec 29th 2014
                     just remember you need to feel it
Dec 29th 2014
tmwk. Price of success: higher status Blk ppl may = more depressed kids
Dec 29th 2014
What kind of Dr. Yakub mess is this...LOL
Dec 29th 2014
this racism is killing me inside! - the Nagger's milkman
Dec 29th 2014
We don't honor the Gullah/Geechee, Juneteenth, Denmark Vessey & Gullah J...
Dec 29th 2014
not honored but gullah, juneteenth, etc are known in a vague sense
Dec 29th 2014
How does 1% look on a family tree?
Dec 29th 2014
we start keeping up the pace, they start changing up the tempo(c)
Dec 29th 2014
S. Carolina is hit dog for me. My white & black ancestors, both from SC
Dec 29th 2014
azelia banks suggests u track those folks down on Twitter
Dec 30th 2014

deejboram
Member since Sep 27th 2002
25755 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 08:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "water is wet"
In response to Reply # 0

and hell is hot

pink toes: http://i.imgur.com/WN7DPL1

Riot
14614 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 09:30 AM

2. "do u acknowledge S Carolina as the black Ellis Island/Plymouth rock?"
In response to Reply # 0

(Obvious difference being Africans were not willing passengers)
Point is to recognize s Carolina and Charleston, Sullivans Island, &Fort Moultrie as the main point of entry where slave-holding ships landed in the US for 100 years
Hence S Carolina being the state with highest percentage of blk folks (slave&free) at that time
and Charleston the wealthiest US city at the time

If your lineage comes thru slavery, sullivan or neighboring ports is probably where your ppl landed

and to mark this dubious distinction, there was

basically nothing. For 200 yrs.
then a small plaque was placed up the road (1990)
then toni Morrison crowdfunded a bench (2008), but it's hidden behind the Park Ranger office on the back side of the island, easy to miss(I did)
the fort entry on the NPS website doesn't mention any of this history

But an African American museum is now in the works in charleston-
http://www.iaamuseum.org/
to give context to a piece of history that, whether monuments, museums exist or not- most ppl don't know abt. Scheduled for 2017

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

Riot
14614 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 09:38 AM

3. "80% of African-Americans have an ancestor who came through Charleston, S..."
In response to Reply # 2

There are no large national monuments or even a small sculpture on Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina in memory of the captive West African slaves who passed through this primary gateway of the Middle Passage into the American colonies from 1707 to 1799. Charleston, South Carolina was the wealthiest city in the American Colonies in the 1700s with revenue generated on the export of labor intensive crops like rice, indigo and sea island cotton. It is estimated that in the 1700s, the height of the slave trade, some 40% of West African slaves entered the Colonies through Low Country ports surrounding Charleston.

(Update June 12: The first sentence of this article is not exactly accurate. See the comments to learn about the Toni Morrison Bench Project which began with a bench on Sullivan’s Island July 26, 2008. This bench is a small monument to the African American experience on Sullivan’s Island.)

Sullivan’s Island Pest Houses Historians estimate that around 260,000 African slaves on 882 ships came through Charleston Harbor. Most of these slaves experienced a quarantine period at Sullivan’s Island at the northern approach of Charleston Harbor. The island was used as a quarantine station to hold slaves on ships or in ‘pest houses’ until it was determined the men and women were fit for slave auctions in Charleston. In the 1790s, residents of Sullivan’s Island demanded the pest houses be removed. James Island on the southern side of Charleston Harbor became the new home for quarantine pest houses.

The importation of African slaves was prohibited in the United States beginning in 1808, however, Charleston, South Carolina was the primary slave auction market in the United States for intra-state sales until the end of the Civil War. South Carolina had about 75,000 slaves in 1770 and over 100,000 slaves in 1790. Charleston County in 1790 had three times the number of slaves compared to the white population of 12,000. By 1860, some 400,000 slaves lived in South Carolina, about 10% of the total slave population in the USA. 

Why is Sullivan’s Island not a place I ever heard of until last month? I taught American History for several years in public schools and I don’t ever recall seeing the name Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina in the context of slavery in America. There are no monuments on the island to represent the significance of this island to the slave experience. If not for a sign placed in 1990 and a small exhibit at the Fort Moultrie Visitor Center created in 2009, the significance of Sullivan’s Island would have likely gone unnoticed by me during my days visiting Charleston.

This is Sullivan’s Island

Text of the plaque--

This is Sullivan’s Island

A place where…Africans were brought to this country under extreme conditions of human bondage and degradation. Tens of thousands of captives arrived on Sullivan’s Island from the West African shores between 1700 and 1775. Those who remained in the Charleston community and those who passed through this site account for a significant number of the African-Americans now residing in these United States. Only through God’s blessings, a burning desire for justice, and persistent will to succeed against monumental odds, have African-Americans created a place for themselves in the American mosaic.

A place where…We commemorate this site as the entry of Africans who came and who contributed to the greatness of our country. The Africans who entered through this port have moved on to meet the challenges created by injustices, racial and economic discrimination, and withheld opportunities. Africans and African-Americans, through the sweat of their brow, have distinguished themselves in the Arts, Education, Medicine, Politics, Religion, Law, Athletics, Research, Artisans and Trades, Business, Industry, Economics, Science, Technology and Community and Social Services.

A place where…This memorial rekindles the memory of a dismal time in American history, but it also serves as a reminder for a people who – past and present, have retained the unique values, strength and potential that flow from our West African culture which came to this nation through the middle passage.

Erected in 1990 by the S.C. Department of Archives and History. The Charleston Club of S.C. and the Avery Research Center.
Pursuant to a request from the South Carolina General Assembly as Evidenced in concurrent resolution S. 719, Adopted June 3, 1990

http://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea.com/2014/06/09/sullivans-island-sc-is-perhaps-the-most-significant-historical-site-in-the-usa-you-never-heard-of/

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

labcoat
Member since Jun 15th 2006
14585 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 12:50 PM

10. "this is deep and beautifully written...."
In response to Reply # 3

"Only through God’s blessings, a burning desire for justice, and persistent will to succeed against monumental odds, have African-Americans created a place for themselves in the American mosaic."

also it makes me want to visit
yet not visit
i hated how i felt being in jamestown
like i just felt weird
and awful
being on that land
where so many slaves have died and suffered
its like their spirit is still there

--------------
Daren, I'll never forget you
http://www.fayemurman.com/extras/magee/daren/

Riot
14614 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 03:49 PM

11. "if u go before the museum is done, there's just the bench, the fort"
In response to Reply # 10

And ships passing by

But glad to say I've been there

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

labcoat
Member since Jun 15th 2006
14585 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 04:06 PM

13. "it really makes me want to go"
In response to Reply # 11

im just scared on how it will make me feel
once i go

--------------
Daren, I'll never forget you
http://www.fayemurman.com/extras/magee/daren/

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 04:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "just remember you need to feel it"
In response to Reply # 13

we all do.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Riot
14614 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 09:50 AM

4. "tmwk. Price of success: higher status Blk ppl may = more depressed kids"
In response to Reply # 0

http://psychcentral.com/news/2014/12/21/high-socioeconomic-status-ups-discrimination-depression-in-young-black-adults/78871.html

“But the relationship between higher SES and reduced depression is not consistent for black individuals, and our key finding helps explain this inconsistency. For black youth, we found that higher parental education is a double-edged sword, buffering against the development of depression but also leading to increased discrimination, which in and of itself causes depression"

--

While black participants whose parents had a high school education or less experienced more discrimination than those from families in which a parent had some college or vocational training, those whose parents had advanced or professional degrees reported the greatest perceived discrimination of all.

Their reported discrimination was almost twice as high as white young adults from similarly educated families and 1.2 times higher than black participants whose parents had a high school education or less, according to the study’s findings.

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 09:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "What kind of Dr. Yakub mess is this...LOL"
In response to Reply # 0

J/K
"America, stop turning our Court Houses of Justice into Dens for Justified Murderers."

Riot
14614 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 10:09 AM

6. "this racism is killing me inside! - the Nagger's milkman"
In response to Reply # 0

Aka

Study: In Black Men, Internalized Racism Speeds Up Aging

http://m.colorlines.com/archives/2014/01/study_in_black_men_internalized_racism_speeds_up_aging_process.html

Telomere length is associated with mortality and age-related diseases like dementia, heart disease and Alzheimer’s—the shorter they are, the higher the risk, which is why they’re seen as a good indicator of physiologic age. Studies have shown that telomeres are also sensitive to psychosocial stress, which can speed up their depletion. “You could have two 35-year-olds who are of course the same age chronologically, but at a cellular level they might be very different depending on what they’ve experienced in life,” says Chae.

People start out with roughly 8,000 base pairs and they wear down at a rate of 50 to 100 every year. Among black men who had internalized strong anti-black biases, those who experienced high levels of racial discrimination had on average 140 fewer base pairs of telomeres than those who reported low levels of racial discrimination. The combination of high levels of external racial discrimination and internalized anti-black attitudes was a toxic mix.

Researchers found, on the other hand, that there was a slight positive relationship between experiences of discrimination and telomere length in black men who had strong pro-black biases. That is, a positive racial identity could act as a kind of psychological buffer against the ravages of racism. 

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

Lardlad95
Member since Jul 31st 2002
66340 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 10:15 AM

7. "We don't honor the Gullah/Geechee, Juneteenth, Denmark Vessey & Gullah J..."
In response to Reply # 0

I can't stand you niggas sometimes.

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard

Riot
14614 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 12:15 PM

8. "not honored but gullah, juneteenth, etc are known in a vague sense "
In response to Reply # 7

Ppl become aware thru goofy facebook chains at least

If u ask random americans the significance of Sullivan island, ft moultrie, etc, 999 of 1000 have no idea

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 12:19 PM

9. "How does 1% look on a family tree?"
In response to Reply # 0

So six generations? That means 150 years ago.

In the words of Mooney "they like to look at their family trees. just look, because if they shake em a nigga might fall out."

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Riot
14614 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 03:57 PM

12. "we start keeping up the pace, they start changing up the tempo(c)"
In response to Reply # 0

For Recent Black College Graduates, a Tougher Road to Employment

Among recent graduates ages 22 to 27, the jobless rate for blacks last year was 12.4 percent versus 4.9 percent for whites, said John Schmitt, a senior economist at the Center for Economic and Policy Research.

While there has always been a gap between black and white college grads, this 7.5 percentage point difference was far greater than before the recession burned through the economy. In 2007, for example, there was only a 1.4 percentage point difference, with 4.6 percent of recent black graduates out of work compared with 3.2 percent of similarly educated whites.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/business/for-recent-black-college-graduates-a-tougher-road-to-employment.html?smid=tw-share&_r=2&referrer=

In fact, the unemployment rate in 2013 was lower among whites who never finished high school (9.7 percent) than it was for blacks with some college education (10.5 percent).

sixteenstone
Member since Sep 22nd 2002
27996 posts
Mon Dec-29-14 04:50 PM

15. "S. Carolina is hit dog for me. My white & black ancestors, both from SC"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm descended from the Adger family, an Irish family who attained wealth in SC starting the first US mail steamship boat from SC to NY.

My great grandparents 5 x back James and Sarah Elizabeth Adger:
http://s12.postimg.org/yqf807mfx/adger_grandparents.jpg

Two of their sons took that wealth and had plantations in South Carolina.
Their son John Bailey Adger had a daughter Elvira Jones Adger with one of his slaves Quinny.
That daughter turned out to be my grandmother's great grandmother. Putting Irish ancestry on both sides of her family.
John Bailey Adger tried to leave half of his land to Elvira in his will, but the Irish family was not having it.

I was so salty about having Irish ancestry. I took an DNA test from a similar company like 23&ME and it confirmed it.
I grew up in a Irish Catholic neighborhood where the second biggest St. Patrick's day parade in the nation happens.
Most of the Irish men residents were cops and there was a general racist atmosphere. There was plenty of Black people too.
But we knew the Irish ran things. They would tell you in a minute that Irish people didn't own slaves and were poor.
Yeah okay, the proof in the muthafucking pudding. No wonder my grandmother, half her kids, and some grandkids are redheads.

On the other side, grandma's grandfather is also descended from Irish slave owners.
He was from Georgia. It was also said he was Creole as well.
http://s12.postimg.org/91eqo4ti5/bishop.jpg

The Adger family continued to thrive in Charleston. One of the ancestors was even the mayor at one time.

Remember Novemthree's Courage...
visit on the web:www.16stonevintage.com
like on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/16stonevintage
follow on instagram: http://instagram.com/sixteenstone http://instagram.com/vintageblkmags/

Riot
14614 posts
Tue Dec-30-14 03:40 PM

16. "azelia banks suggests u track those folks down on Twitter"
In response to Reply # 15

And bark on them,make em pay up, or just punch em in the face if u prefer

Dude in 2nd pic definitely looks mixed w something

My non white history is thru south Carolina as
as basically- "slave girl brought to florida from sCarolina"

Then the Cracker-jack owner's son fell in love w her daughter & got "married"

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/