Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12682187

Subject: "Nothing better AND worse than a house full of family" Previous topic | Next topic
John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 10:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Nothing better AND worse than a house full of family"

In the past couple of years, my nuclear family has become an anchor family. Our house has become the holiday destination. It was a logical choice since we have the young kids and the most space. I really enjoy having a house full of fam, that is until I actually have a house full of fam.

Few things make me happier than serving a big meal. Christmas/Thanksgiving dinner and one big breakfast, I got, but all the other meals, lord jesus. Dining out? My in-laws don't like anything except, Chinese, Korean and Fried chicken/seafood. They're slow AF and it takes at least two hours to get the group out the door.

And then there's the HOUSING of said people. We have a decent sized home, by city standards, but I don't think we can comfortably house 9 adults, a teen and two small children...especially since I don't want anyone sleeping in the living room. I don't have an issue with living room sleeping in general, but I don't want anyone sleeping there on Xmas eve. It's a high traffic area, plus I don't want to get up before the kids and clean that area for the pictures. Of course, EVERYONE has to stay at the house. Koreans believe as long as you have floor, you have room for people, and I can't tell MY side of the fam that they're the ones who have to stay at a hotel.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
that does sound awesome and terrible
Dec 22nd 2014
i will just use this post to rant
Dec 22nd 2014
I've opted out of Christmas this year. Thanksgiving was enough for me
Dec 22nd 2014
this post could also be about Colombians verbatim
Dec 22nd 2014
Why would anyone want their family to not stay with them?
Dec 22nd 2014
This alone may make me move to the Suburbs
Dec 22nd 2014
empty nest
Dec 22nd 2014
I was looking forward to that this year...
Dec 22nd 2014
it is my sincere aspiration to be the Anchor house
Dec 22nd 2014
Sounds equal parts exciting and nerve racking....this though-->
Dec 22nd 2014

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 10:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "that does sound awesome and terrible"
In response to Reply # 0

that many people in my house for more than a few hours would drive me absolutely insane.

even if my house was big enough for it.

one nice thing about a small place, nobody assumes they can stay here unless specifically invited.

i still blame hip-hop.

kinetic20
Charter member
19156 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 10:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i will just use this post to rant"
In response to Reply # 0

my aunt drove to milwaukee from dallas to visit my gram in her nursing home
last night i get a text asking can i come up on the 25th from chicago
NO
NO I CANNOT
why are you even asking me that?
why are you asking me that three days before christmas?
do you think i dont have plans?
do you think i was just waiting on your text?
do you think my gigantic pregnant ass wants to be in a car for three hours round trip on christmas day?
does that make ANY SENSE AT ALL???!?!?!?
no, it does not

i mean i give a fck but i don't give that much of a fck

napturalmystic
Member since Feb 15th 2006
6542 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 10:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I've opted out of Christmas this year. Thanksgiving was enough for me"
In response to Reply # 0

I could not have that many people in my home with out being driven crazy.

I love my family I really do. I'm just not up for it. I haven't told them yet and don't plan on telling them until Christmas eve bc I don't want to deal with the back lash.

--------------------------

BabySoulRebel
Charter member
19232 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 10:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "this post could also be about Colombians verbatim"
In response to Reply # 0

except we open presents at midnight on Christmas Eve after the baby Jesus is born then party all night
meanwhile my ass been up since 6:30, I wanna go to sleeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!
2 years ago, got a migraine so bad that I crawled into my uncle's sauna in the basement and wrapped myself in towels to drown out the music.

here for dis.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 10:47 AM

5. "Why would anyone want their family to not stay with them? "
In response to Reply # 0

unless it's endless fights that the whole point of the holiday.

There have been times when a few of us had to stay at hotels but that made for a miserable holiday. You spend half the time shuttling people back and forth and the other half trying to retell a funny story they missed while they were at the hotel.

but when it's my house, yeah.. after 2 days I'm ready for people to bounce...

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 11:02 AM

6. "This alone may make me move to the Suburbs"
In response to Reply # 0

I got my little brother and his friend at my house and they have been here since college break. I am looking at the friend like don't you want to go home for Christmas? Why should he, my house is too much fun. fridge and stocked with food and beer.

I had to teach these fools the basic rule when living with women, my wife ain't trying to clean up behind you able bodied men and don't nobody want to see naan nigga sleeping at 12:00 in the afternoon.
Y'all got to get up and get out and make something of the day.

We should be the anchor house because we have the kids and are good at feeding everyone but we just don't have the room. First year my parents won't be around for Christmas

My West Indian inlaws will be at my house Christmas Eve and they will drink up all my liquor and not go home at respectable hour. The invitation said dinner is at 3pm but many won't roll around until 9pm.

NJ suburbs is calling my name.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 11:09 AM

7. "empty nest"
In response to Reply # 0

we got the room and the young kids

but I just sent the girls to R.I. with family.

It's just me and the Mrs; and this is her first Xmas since her mom passed in March 2014.

It's supposed to be jovial...but it isn't.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 11:13 AM

8. "I was looking forward to that this year..."
In response to Reply # 0

we bought a house last year. We were ready to host Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. We were the only ones in the family with the space for everyone. Room for the kids to play. Finally we can do the holidays with both sides of our family and not have to split time. Then my inlaws buy an even bigger house than ours. a few months ago. It makes more sense to hold the events there. We didnt even get a chance to do any holidays here. Oh well. Drama is starting already and we still have a few days. So I guess its good I dont have to deal with it.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

JellyBean
Charter member
16875 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 11:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "it is my sincere aspiration to be the Anchor house"
In response to Reply # 0

I want that soooooooo bad. Even though all family is local...it would be so nice to have them all under one roof for a holiday weekend.

baking cookies with the kiddies, making breakfast in the a.m. and just going all out Christmas...but I wouldn't mind doing a 4th of july family vacation in a beach house...

"Holier than thou never sits well with me."(c)janey

"OKP spends way too much time looking for ways to be offended." ~legsdiamond

http://twitter.com/jeleighbean

RaphaelSoulLee
Member since May 21st 2003
3765 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 02:06 PM

10. "Sounds equal parts exciting and nerve racking....this though-->"
In response to Reply # 0

>I can't tell MY side of the fam that they're the ones who have to stay at a hotel.

It takes all kinds to make up a world, son. -My pops

I just live for the comments -Da wiz

Lobby General Discussion topic #12682187 Previous topic | Next topic