Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13240358

Subject: "Luke Cage Season 2" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8633 posts
Tue Mar-06-18 11:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Luke Cage Season 2"

Drops June 22nd.

Hope it's better than the first season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU4Xn__5Qjg

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i just need it to be better than everything after episode 7.
Mar 06th 2018
*hard daps*
Mar 06th 2018
      ...and they shot themselves in the foot with the villian
Mar 06th 2018
           i stopped watching after they killed off the villain
Mar 06th 2018
Chop it down to 10 eps, and we're good.
Mar 06th 2018
Shit I'd say 8.
Mar 06th 2018
      TBH, I didn't like the "JJ" series as much as everybody else.
Mar 06th 2018
Killing Cottonmouth was a "L" lol, awful idea G.
Mar 06th 2018
either they couldnt afford him or he had a conflict in schedule
Jun 22nd 2018
i'm not mad at Cottonmouth dying
Jun 25th 2018
Just finished the first episode.
Jun 22nd 2018
The opening....
Jun 22nd 2018
      Yeah that was dope.
Jun 22nd 2018
Black Mariah was amazing
Jun 25th 2018
My thoughts:
Jun 25th 2018
I slacked on a few marvel ones, what do I need to watch?
Jun 25th 2018
RE: I slacked on a few marvel ones, what do I need to watch?
Jun 25th 2018
Loved it.....better than season 1....
Jun 25th 2018
I dug it. Good follow up to season 1.
Jun 25th 2018
LOL @ the Shades Slander
Jul 08th 2018
I don’t like seeing Shades and Mariah hunch.
Jun 25th 2018
Much better than season 1
Jun 26th 2018
Wayyyy better than the 1st season
Jul 08th 2018
RIP Reg. E. Cathey
Jul 09th 2018
Alfre Fucking Woodard!
Jul 10th 2018

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85143 posts
Tue Mar-06-18 11:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i just need it to be better than everything after episode 7."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

bwood
8633 posts
Tue Mar-06-18 11:21 AM

2. "*hard daps*"
In response to Reply # 1

After the flashback prison episode, the writing got very bad.

bigkarma
Charter member
7859 posts
Tue Mar-06-18 11:54 AM

3. "...and they shot themselves in the foot with the villian"
In response to Reply # 2

They kill off one the best Marvel villains in a while, midway through the series, and replace him with a lesser villain...in a stupid powersuit.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
80053 posts
Tue Mar-06-18 12:09 PM

4. "i stopped watching after they killed off the villain"
In response to Reply # 3

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Tue Mar-06-18 12:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Chop it down to 10 eps, and we're good. "
In response to Reply # 0

Back again for the first time.

bwood
8633 posts
Tue Mar-06-18 12:40 PM

6. "Shit I'd say 8."
In response to Reply # 5

They couldn't even make an 8 episode series with Daredevil, Luke, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones not feel like a slog.

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Tue Mar-06-18 12:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "TBH, I didn't like the "JJ" series as much as everybody else."
In response to Reply # 6

but I agree with you in principle.

Back again for the first time.

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Tue Mar-06-18 01:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Killing Cottonmouth was a "L" lol, awful idea G."
In response to Reply # 0

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
80053 posts
Fri Jun-22-18 08:46 AM

10. "either they couldnt afford him or he had a conflict in schedule"
In response to Reply # 8

cause I don't see how you kill him off.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

jrocc
Charter member
6521 posts
Mon Jun-25-18 09:23 AM

13. "i'm not mad at Cottonmouth dying"
In response to Reply # 8

it was just that Diamondback was not on his level. he was the guy that Cottonmouth was supposed to be answering to and it should have been the other way around. had the story just been about the rise of Black Mariah as the new crime boss it would have been much better.

bwood
8633 posts
Fri Jun-22-18 08:14 AM

9. "Just finished the first episode."
In response to Reply # 0

The writing is slightly better so far.

KnowOne
Charter member
39952 posts
Fri Jun-22-18 08:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "The opening...."
In response to Reply # 9

with Shook Ones was dope!

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

bwood
8633 posts
Fri Jun-22-18 04:26 PM

12. "Yeah that was dope."
In response to Reply # 11

Made it to episode 6 for the day. So far it's miles better than Season 1. Still corny at times tho.

jrocc
Charter member
6521 posts
Mon Jun-25-18 09:31 AM

14. "Black Mariah was amazing"
In response to Reply # 0

season 2 is definitely better and Alfrie Woodard is the main reason to me. she gave such a good performance. Bushmaster was also really good.

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17897 posts
Mon Jun-25-18 10:10 AM

15. "My thoughts: "
In response to Reply # 0

Definitely more even and better than season 1. And I really liked season 1.

(mild spoilers below)

Alfre Woodard KILLS it. Some might say she's chewing the scenery, but she brought every bit of her skill as a veteran actress to the forefront. Every bit as menacing as Cottonmouth in season one and a hell of a lot more devious.

Simone Missick KILLS it. Her Misty Knight is one of the strongest and consistent characters of the show. She's actually the moral compass for the whole enterprise, save for one almost-misstep in the second half of the season.

Shades? eh. On the fence on how he was played this season. I guess we'll see where they go with it. I really didn't buy the romance angle at first, but they made it work for what it was. His semi-turn at the end was kinda eh too, but early episodes, he's played very well.

Iron Fist, as has been noted in one article I saw, was really redeemed here. I'm guessing someone gave Finn Jones some serious notes. His appearance in the season is the IF we should have had in his own show. Instead of some hippie doofus spouting off about how he's the Immortal Who Gives A Fuck, he's actually played here as skilled, sage and introspective, with a lot more swagger. The fight scene with him and Luke whippin' ass is one of the best of the season.

Speaking of fight scenes, I dunno if it's the budget or what, but Marvel/Netflix overall needs to hire the fight choreographers from Arrow (A show that's sorta jumped the shark, but damn if the action ain't damn near cinema worthy, especially this last season).

Mike Colter still gives us the goods as Luke, but is still a wee bit wooden in the role. He hasn't really inhabited the character fully, but I think that's cause they need to give him more to work with, and the twist at the end was pretty damn good and allowed him to really start to take hold. I can't wait to see how it plays out for the next season.

Complaints? Not many.

1. the Jamaican accents? I mean, i'm not even from there and could tell that some of them were really, really bad and overdone. "raasclaat, raatid and pickny" every third word ain't how all Jamaicans talk.

2. The fan service could be a bit more subtle. The closing Godfather shot? The "it's my show" drop. C'mon b. We're not stupid and you don't have to hit us over the head with it.

3. The character progression of Mariah's daughter just didn't feel too authentic to me. No problem with the actress, but really didn't feel where they went with the character. Though given how things ended, i'll tune in to see where it goes.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Mon Jun-25-18 12:52 PM

16. "I slacked on a few marvel ones, what do I need to watch?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have like 2 episodes of Iron Fist to finish, I have no desire to watch but I will.

I didn't watch The Defenders at all

Didn't watch Jessica Jones season 2 at all

Am I good to dive in this or should I catch up?

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

Wise 7
Member since Nov 27th 2006
237 posts
Mon Jun-25-18 03:05 PM

18. "RE: I slacked on a few marvel ones, what do I need to watch?"
In response to Reply # 16

"Defenders" is mandatory viewing prior to "Luke Cage" Season 2...
Luke, Claire, Misty, Iron Fist and Coleen's story arcs progress
further (especially Misty Knight's). I'd also add that you'd need
to watch "Defenders" if you've watched "Daredevil" Seasons 1 & 2 and
plan on watching the upcoming Season 3. "Defenders" affects "Luke
Cage" and "Daredevil" characters the most.

You don't need to watch "Jessica Jones" Season 2 before watching "Luke
Cage" Season 2. Jessica is the least affected by the MCU Netflix
crossover.

www.facebook.com/DivineExistence1
www.instagram.com/divine_existence
www.youtube.com/@DivineExistence/videos

KnowOne
Charter member
39952 posts
Mon Jun-25-18 12:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "Loved it.....better than season 1...."
In response to Reply # 0

Bushmaster was a great villain with a compelling back story.

They did a better job with Black Mariah this season. I hated her last season.

Nice to see Misty putting in work. Hey did her fight scene in the garage look better than any from Iron Fist? SMH

Danny still sucks, but I enjoy seeing him and Luke play off each other. Bring on Heroes for Hire.

Loved the ending. Def didnt see it going that route!

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14129 posts
Mon Jun-25-18 07:04 PM

19. "I dug it. Good follow up to season 1."
In response to Reply # 0

*spoilers ahead*

I absolutely love Bushmaster's fighting style. Loved pretty much all of the scenes where he fought... especially that scene where he and Luke fight the dealer's goons together. I also like him as a character and an actor. Dude just has that look like he needs to be in every superhero show ever lol. Interesting reading he tried out for M'Baku in Black Panther and the Black Lightening role. Good on whoever at Marvel who said 'we gotta put this dude in something.' Definitely wouldn't mind seeing him return.

Before watching, I was really hoping Diamondback would return after seeing the scientist was working on him last season, but I wasn't disappointed. Maybe he'll return at another time. I actually loved his character in season 1... especially the scene where he walked in on them having the meeting without him "ya feel ya wan tess me?" Plus he tied his purpose to religion, and that shit makes folks extra dedicated to doing crazy shit... he pulled that off well imo. He's gonna be hell if he comes back with enhanced abilities.

Misty is still great, just like last season. She was so damn beautiful in that last scene we saw her in with her hair up. Good lord. Cool to see her irl husband get a lil role on the show. She seems very natural on screen... like somebody I know for real.

Everyone seems to be loving Mariah this season, but I was disgusted with her and Shades' intimacy. It's like they had her trying to be sexy, and it just was not translating for me... like Anne Hathaway playing Catwoman... just no. That scene where Shades walks in while she's talking to Tilda. She talks to him in the hall and then sticks her finger in his mouth and licks it.... fam, I literally had a gag reflex. Not only was it not sexy... it didn't even look *sexual* at all. It just looked like she was just tasting spit lol. Pretty much how I felt every time she walked up to him w/ that look and kissed him. All of that has to be some of THE most cringeworthy shit I've ever seen on film. But it wasn't just that... I also couldn't get into her as a crime boss. She's a great actress for sure, but that role for her just wasn't a good fit imo. I mean, I was wishing they'd had Sam Jack's wife (LaTanya) play her instead of Mama Mabel... I buy her "crazy" more than Mrs. Woodard's. I was hoping during the season that all of this wylin Mariah was doing was gonna lead to her death, because I really couldn't take anymore, so I was VERY happy with the ending. I felt bad, because I love to see our legends working, but her in that role was also greatly hindering my enjoyment of the show.

And Shades' acting is terrible. Dude always looks like he's just reciting lines to me... no believable emotion. How can you not even pull off believable anger? Take some acting classes my dude. I've spoken before about how I hate that he just so happened to be the "smartest" guy in the bunch and ended up taking over... mainly b/c... man nvm.

I had no problems with Tilda. I really like Gabrielle Dennis in general tho. She had that Viola Davis snot when she was crying too lol. She's a good fit for that role, and it's nice to see her get some work after Rosewood got canceled. I'm interested in seeing what her and Luke's chemistry will be like next season with the jealousy she seemed to feel about him getting the club.

It was legit sad when Anansi died too. Dude really was innocent... trying to elevate everyone around him.

D.W. is a cool addition to the show. Kinda funny how he always had on a Luke Cage shirt.

Iron Fist was... still corny to me. I mean, they had him trying to appear more down to earth and stuff, but dude is just lame to me. I guess I was supposed to think "oooo he know about BOTH Chronic albums" but that was weak pandering imo. The "patty cake" part was cool tho. As was the part where he said "you know why... at least that's what she told me say... I didn't ask her why" lol. That made me chuckle. His character and his show are still complete garbytch tho.

Overall I liked this season. I can't say I liked it more or less than season 1. This one had the benefit of already having a story built, and it did what it was supposed to do with that.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40950 posts
Sun Jul-08-18 12:56 PM

23. "LOL @ the Shades Slander"
In response to Reply # 19

For someone who is portrayed as a bad ass, calculated killer about 85% of the time he's on the screen, he comes off like a giant dork the remaining 15% of the time, which oddly makes me like his character.

I was also surprised towards the end when they mentioned he was 40, for some reason I was thinking he was in his lat 20s.

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23902 posts
Mon Jun-25-18 09:32 PM

20. "I don’t like seeing Shades and Mariah hunch."
In response to Reply # 0

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

bwood
8633 posts
Tue Jun-26-18 11:58 AM

21. "Much better than season 1"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-26-18 11:59 AM by bwood

It's consistently entertaining. Bushmaster, Shades, and Black Mirah were all dope villains. Shades and Mirah seem better written this season. The MVP is still Simone Missick as Misty. She was also written better this season.

That said, the writing is still bad in spots as is the green screen stuff. And ole girl who played Misty's rival who ended up being corrupt was a terrible actress b.

This show works best when its a combination of Luke, Misty, Colleen, and Danny hitting the streets doing what they do. Just fold this into Iron Fist and do Heroes for Hire.

An interesting place we leave the characters at. I really wish this would be 8 or 10 episodes

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40950 posts
Sun Jul-08-18 12:43 PM

22. "Wayyyy better than the 1st season"
In response to Reply # 0

and I really liked the 1st season.

This was a really good Drama series with splashes of action.

Alfre Woodard was acting her ass off in this picture and was giving me dirty thoughts.

Bushmaster was a cool ass character

I'm surprised people aren't talking about this more

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon Jul-09-18 10:38 AM

24. "RIP Reg. E. Cathey"
In response to Reply # 0

I REALLY like him as an actor; did he give the last of himself to this role? if so....DAMN.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

kevb
Charter member
16580 posts
Tue Jul-10-18 09:11 AM

25. "Alfre Fucking Woodard!"
In response to Reply # 0

I not sure I've ever seen her in a better role. She really impressed me with her range.

Reg E. Cathy was a treat too.

All the criticism aside from the Jamaican accents, Shakir Mustafa really shined in his Bushmaster Role.

Season 2 kept getting better and better and better and better that it fucked my goal of trying to readjust to an East Coast sleeping schedule due to playing multiple episodes per night.

Season 3 will be interesting to say the least.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13240358 Previous topic | Next topic