Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12881167

Subject: "The power of fake tribalism in athletics" Previous topic | Next topic
Doronmonkflake
Member since Jan 10th 2007
11078 posts
Sun Aug-16-15 11:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The power of fake tribalism in athletics"

I watched the Greg Louganis documentary on HBO today.

Besides being heartbreaking in its portrayal of a man racked with abject loneliness, it underlined a common truth that we continue to ignore: athletes are exploited in a heinous fashion and something should really be done about it.

This dude made good money for the sport of diving, yet he struggles to make ends meet for the majority of the doc. They show his naive financial decisions and everything, but it seems wild that the olympics can make the money they make in endorsements and sales and not set these people up for life. The organization rakes it in, the athletes are supposed to be honored. For national pride.

Coke don't pay in national pride.

The same problem persists in the NCAA. I bet if my son got picked up to play for Chapel Hill, I'd feel some kinda pride in that. Jordan played there. It's a dynasty. But empirically, would it benefit my child to put that much energy into a sport that drives up the popularity of the school and thereby, the price of tuition and doesn't share the profits with him?

Are we that moved by civic pride that these problems shouldn't be addressed?

Da bayball, babeh. (c) Charlie Kelly.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Do something about it and risk fucking up the money?
Aug 16th 2015
I know that's right. But college sports are straight Hunger Games.
Aug 16th 2015
      they usually dont pass the cost to students
Aug 17th 2015
      not really... athletes can stop playing and just enroll
Aug 17th 2015
           Getting away with date rape is a huge perk now?
Aug 17th 2015
                well, i was thinking more along the lines of fans, easy classes, booster...
Aug 17th 2015
                     I hear you. Just taking the piss out of the system.
Aug 17th 2015
if your son was a D1 recruit in one of the big sports, that means
Aug 17th 2015
RE: if your son was a D1 recruit in one of the big sports, that means
Aug 17th 2015
      If he wants to stop playing, they won't chop his foot off
Aug 17th 2015
           ^^^
Aug 17th 2015
           you keep your scholarship without playing?
Aug 17th 2015
                I may have overreached with slavery. indentured servitude.
Aug 17th 2015
                the kids who play with no league already know there isnt a league
Aug 17th 2015
                     RE: the kids who play with no league already know there isnt a league
Aug 17th 2015
                          Most college sports LOSE money bruh...
Aug 23rd 2015
so Greg isn't responsible for his financial decisions?
Aug 17th 2015
RE: The power of fake tribalism in athletics
Aug 17th 2015
oh...well its something
Aug 17th 2015
RE: The power of fake tribalism in athletics
Aug 17th 2015
It was a great documentary
Aug 18th 2015
as a tarheel
Aug 23rd 2015
These kids get a FREE Education
Aug 23rd 2015
      they get a poor education
Aug 23rd 2015
      RE: they get a poor education
Aug 23rd 2015
           RE: they get a poor education
Aug 23rd 2015
                That is a stupid argument bruh
Aug 23rd 2015
                Managers are paid to manage. Workers. Who also should be paid.
Aug 23rd 2015
                     Slavery? You sound desperate
Aug 23rd 2015
                          You drank the kool aid and that's fine. But it doesn't negate truth.
Aug 23rd 2015
                          RE: You drank the kool aid and that's fine. But it doesn't negate truth
Aug 23rd 2015
                               RE: You drank the kool aid and that's fine. But it doesn't negate truth
Aug 23rd 2015
                                    It will never happen...
Aug 23rd 2015
                          they are not the only kids who get free scholarships
Aug 24th 2015
                               This is basically my argument
Aug 24th 2015
                Because its not a job. Its school.
Aug 23rd 2015
                     Exactly
Aug 24th 2015
                     med students dont get paid for going to class
Aug 24th 2015
                     Schools do pay graduate students for their work
Aug 24th 2015
      and actually, this is not true
Aug 23rd 2015
           RE: and actually, this is not true
Aug 23rd 2015
                RE: and actually, this is not true (tiny swipe)
Aug 23rd 2015
                     Texas is a big place and some schools are huge
Aug 23rd 2015
                          You confuse enslavement with slave labor.
Aug 23rd 2015
                               How much does the star player make vs the dude at the end of the bench?
Aug 23rd 2015
                                    $omething. How does a wage get determined for other workers?
Aug 23rd 2015
                                    Whats so hard about free tuition, room and board being their payment?
Aug 24th 2015
                                         Can you put that away in an account for when your knee breaks?
Aug 24th 2015
                                              you mean the kid who is in the cafeteria who is paying for books, room
Aug 24th 2015
                                                   i dont get your argument
Aug 24th 2015
                                                        no other students work in evangelism for the school
Aug 24th 2015
                                                        The gym UNC basketball plays in is called the Dean Dome
Aug 24th 2015
                                                             and if you go outside the states
Aug 24th 2015
                                                             Jordan didnt become a global brand until 4 or 5 years into his NBA caree...
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                  oh so it matters *when*
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                       Dean Smith is a fucking legend in colege basketball you moron...
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                            you really think i dont know about dean smith
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                            i can only go by what you type and that shit sounded horrible
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                            please quote what i typed that sounded horrible
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                            you said.. "shouldnt Dean Smith be more popular since he is still at UNC...
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                            lol@ grammatical nit-picking to score points
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                            I can only respond to what you type...
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                            you went all the way to the grief stage in this debate? just stop.
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                            you admitted you didnt know Jordan went to UNC.. sit down
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                            what are you talkin about? I said jordan = UNC in the OP. re-read.
Aug 25th 2015
                                                                            65... nigga, its right below your post
Aug 25th 2015
                                                                            you illiterate. I said I know jordan went because they sold his college ...
Aug 25th 2015
                                                             niggas sleep outside for Dean shoes?
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                  no one slept outside for Jordans while he was in college
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                       im sure students slept outside to get tickets for the games
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                            you in here disrespecting one of the greatest college coache EVER
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                                 wait, point out where im disprespecting Coach?
Aug 24th 2015
                                                        This is the difference between an academic and an athletic scholarship
Aug 24th 2015
                                                             bruh, this doesnt make sense at all
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                  1) No college debt after school
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                       They graduate with a worthless degree
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                       u in here making zero sense
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                       I'm talking about D1 programs bruh
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                            which is why i mentioned D2/D3 schools
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                                 now you may be right about some of the larger schools cooking the books
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                       none of this really makes sense
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                            RE: none of this really makes sense
Aug 24th 2015
                                    most schools have a student pay rate
Aug 24th 2015
                                         I went to U of Tennessee for a year. Athletic dorms had chefs
Aug 24th 2015
                                              you sound jealous of athletes
Aug 24th 2015
                                                   I'm not jealous at all... I just aw SEC players living the good life
Aug 24th 2015
                                                        it's college. we all missed a meal or 2.
Aug 24th 2015
                                                        yes, i damn sure helped them generate millions by paying for my eduation
Aug 24th 2015
                                                             try again
Aug 24th 2015
                                                        why should they want to be a regular student?
Aug 24th 2015
                                                             a concert? dates? we talking about college
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                  dude? what? college kids dont go to concerts?? or dates??
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                       my school had free shows on campus...
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                            but why does your experience have to be universal?
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                            I'm just giving my opinion on this issue
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                            i actually used to think you were reasonable
Aug 24th 2015
                                                                                 I don't agree with you on this...
Aug 24th 2015
check out this NC State walk-on being given a scholarship
Aug 24th 2015
why do people keep suggesting college is the only place...
Aug 24th 2015
perhaps john oliver says it better
Aug 24th 2015

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Sun Aug-16-15 11:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Do something about it and risk fucking up the money?"
In response to Reply # 0

American Capitalism says "no".

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Sun Aug-16-15 11:41 PM

2. "I know that's right. But college sports are straight Hunger Games."
In response to Reply # 1

That fact can't be lost on eevry fan. There needs to be some sort of union. That could be the start of fixing our national higher education crisis.

These schools have been allowed to set tuitions at all-time highs, despite the almost static wage-earning potential of college graduates. The investment is starting to look worse and worse. Sports are at the center of this. As these institutions expand their frankly superfluous olympic level training facilities, they pass the expense to students, recoup the profits off the athletic money and continue as usual.

I imagine they would rather give up some of this rampant expansion than have to share 35% of the profits at the end of every fiscal year. Which would be a steal.

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16804 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 07:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "they usually dont pass the cost to students"
In response to Reply # 2

primary reason tution is going up is tax payer subsidies being reallocated
i went to a major d1 school with major athletic program(clemson)
the way theyve been able to navigate upgrading the university seperate from the athletic programs has been promising
is there a problem with NCAA and college athletics
yes
but more times than not that cost isnt passed to the students
call your state rep about that

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79947 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 09:55 AM

7. "not really... athletes can stop playing and just enroll"
In response to Reply # 2

no one is forced to play...

but if you do play you will definitely be forced to play through injuries, miss class, etc... but most of these schools also have huge perks.

a lot of athletes get away with a lot of shit the average student can't get away with.

and schools don't pass on athletic cost to students. most,of it is through private donations, alumni, etc. Athletic departments aren't trying to share that revenue with the school.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 02:19 PM

15. "Getting away with date rape is a huge perk now?"
In response to Reply # 7

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 03:04 PM

16. "well, i was thinking more along the lines of fans, easy classes, booster..."
In response to Reply # 15

card, money, hoes, etc...

when I went to U of Tenn. the athletic down a had Sega Genises and they has personal chefs cooking steaks and shit.

but umm... I guess you could include date rape but that wasn't what I wasn't high on my list of perks.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 03:41 PM

18. "I hear you. Just taking the piss out of the system."
In response to Reply # 16

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 07:49 AM

4. "if your son was a D1 recruit in one of the big sports, that means "
In response to Reply # 0

hes got a chance to go pro.

if he can go pro, he may make more in 4 yrs then you do in a lifetime. its a chance. maybe a small one but hell he can always be a manager of a ruby tuesdays regardless, why not try

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 10:50 AM

8. "RE: if your son was a D1 recruit in one of the big sports, that means "
In response to Reply # 4

Because it's still slavery in the interim. And as was mentioned, an injury would sideline that kid and potentially take away what he worked for. And I used basketball as an example. What about football? If he doesn't go pro, he gets all the head trauma and body damage and none of the future perks. That's not awesome. The university doesnt wait for him to go pro before they make money off him.

I believe it's wholly unfair.

KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70132 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 01:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "If he wants to stop playing, they won't chop his foot off"
In response to Reply # 8

it's not slavery.

I believe that college athletes should be paid, but the slavery comparisons are dumb. It's essentially an unpaid internship where they are provided housing, food, and educational expenses in exchange for job training for a career in professional athletics.

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4556 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 01:15 PM

10. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 9

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 01:19 PM

11. "you keep your scholarship without playing?"
In response to Reply # 9

I thought they went together. And yes it's an unpaid internship, for 2% of all players. What about the kids who play sports with no league?

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 01:22 PM

12. "I may have overreached with slavery. indentured servitude."
In response to Reply # 11
Mon Aug-17-15 01:25 PM by Doronmonkflake

End of the day, millions exchange hands, people do that work and it isn't the people making the money.

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 03:07 PM

17. "the kids who play with no league already know there isnt a league"
In response to Reply # 11

most try to go overseas or into a sports related field.

some do it for the free schooling and move onto other things...

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 04:20 PM

19. "RE: the kids who play with no league already know there isnt a league"
In response to Reply # 17

Not having a professional softball league doesnt stop schools from makin money on softball players. This is what I'm saying. Pay these kids if you make money on them.

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 09:13 PM

29. "Most college sports LOSE money bruh..."
In response to Reply # 19

Should they charge athletes for playing sports that lose money?

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 08:18 AM

5. "so Greg isn't responsible for his financial decisions? "
In response to Reply # 0

it's called personal responsibility.

As far as D1 athletes go. The only thing I think the NCAA needs to do a better job of is healthcare for all those football players who don't go pro.

But then again, all these athletes know the risk and most are taking due to the love for the game, dreams of going pro or full rides.

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7010 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 09:33 AM

6. "RE: The power of fake tribalism in athletics"
In response to Reply # 0

At least this is happening

http://www.rt.com/usa/310142-ncaa-video-game-settlement/

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 02:14 PM

14. "oh...well its something"
In response to Reply # 6

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Aug-17-15 01:38 PM

13. "RE: The power of fake tribalism in athletics"
In response to Reply # 0

> civic pride

I was in a punk/hardcore band called that

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Tue Aug-18-15 04:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "It was a great documentary "
In response to Reply # 0

And I was touched by his story. But I didn't feel sorry for him from a financial point of view. He would've been ok if he let go of his dream house. I felt sympathy for the emotional hardships and all the homophobia he had to deal with.....but the money part? C'mon. His financial struggles were all based on his reluctance to sell a house that 99% of the population can't afford.

That being said....I found his story heroic. Seems like a great person.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 12:26 PM

21. "as a tarheel"
In response to Reply # 0

>The same problem persists in the NCAA. I bet if my son got
>picked up to play for Chapel Hill, I'd feel some kinda pride
>in that. Jordan played there. It's a dynasty. But empirically,
>would it benefit my child to put that much energy into a sport
>that drives up the popularity of the school and thereby, the
>price of tuition and doesn't share the profits with him?
>

i've never understood why people are against paying the NCAA players
i mean, we pay the kid at the bookshop, no?
and its not like these kids are coming from tremendously wealthy backgrounds
the school makes a tremendous amount of money from the ncaa
and that contributes to the ability of the school to continue fund-raising (that alumni pride also comes from our memories of fuckin up franklin st whenver we beat dook)
its not enough to say... well they have a chance at...
the coach gets paid millions... the players get paid zero
and after the recent unc scandal about players 'learning swahili'
etc how can one even think the schools give a shit about these kids academic achievement?

http://perspectivesudans.blogspot.com/
i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 12:55 PM

22. "These kids get a FREE Education"
In response to Reply # 21

They are using each other. These kids are getting a chance to play at a top university who gets a ton of TV time for them to showcase their skills for the pros.

All of these kids have the option of going overseas to play basketball after HS.

Kids who play football can go to juco colleges or walk on while paying out of pocket and taking all the hard classes they want to get the best education possible.

These kids definitely generate money and most of it is used to keep most of the womens sports afloat. Some womens basketball teams make money but most do not.

If you pay football and basketball players, you end up having to take away womens sports who dont generate money.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 01:29 PM

23. "they get a poor education "
In response to Reply # 22
Sun Aug-23-15 01:30 PM by akon

if you have been reading up on whats been happening at unc,
you'd know that that is not a free education
they spend the majority of their time in practice, with very little time to focus on education
so they were being shoveled in AA classes with a guaranteed A, and swahili classes as well
thats wrong, completely
and it happens because the ncaa has become a cash cow for these schools
so kids who dont go pro (majority of them) end up with... what exactly?

>They are using each other. These kids are getting a chance to
>play at a top university who gets a ton of TV time for them to
>showcase their skills for the pros.

uhm, no. the schools are using these kids
if we are touse the same logic, why pay the coaches millions? in addition to all the endorsements?
arent they also showcasing their skills? perhaps it should be a launching pad for them to coach overseas?

>If you pay football and basketball players, you end up having
>to take away womens sports who dont generate money.

and yet every other student who works on campus gets paid
how do we justify this?
the athletes dont put in work? how many hours a week are they in practice, training etc? when NOT in classes?

i myself would never want to be god,or even like god.Because god got all these human beings on this planet and i most certainly would not want to be responsible for them, or even have the disgrace that i made them.

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 08:44 PM

25. "RE: they get a poor education "
In response to Reply # 23

>if you have been reading up on whats been happening at unc,
>you'd know that that is not a free education
>they spend the majority of their time in practice, with very
>little time to focus on education
>so they were being shoveled in AA classes with a guaranteed A,
>and swahili classes as well
>thats wrong, completely
>and it happens because the ncaa has become a cash cow for
>these schools
>so kids who dont go pro (majority of them) end up with... what
>exactly?

I live in Charlotte, I know all about the scandal at UNC. Here is the thing tho... these kids could always go to school on their own dime and take challenging classes but that aint happening for obvious reasons.
>
>>They are using each other. These kids are getting a chance
>to
>>play at a top university who gets a ton of TV time for them
>to
>>showcase their skills for the pros.
>
>uhm, no. the schools are using these kids
>if we are touse the same logic, why pay the coaches millions?
>in addition to all the endorsements?
>arent they also showcasing their skills? perhaps it should be
>a launching pad for them to coach overseas?

You pay the coaches millions because they attract the best players and help elevate the school. I went to VCU. When we beat Kansas to make the Final Four the university servers saw traffic increase 20% the day after the win.

Coaches also get fired a lot in college. Only problem I see with coaches is if they violate rules they shouldnt be able to move to a new school.
>
>>If you pay football and basketball players, you end up
>having
>>to take away womens sports who dont generate money.
>
>and yet every other student who works on campus gets paid
>how do we justify this?
>the athletes dont put in work? how many hours a week are they
>in practice, training etc? when NOT in classes?
>

Every other student is also paying back school loans 15 years after they graduate.... if they graduate.

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 08:47 PM

26. "RE: they get a poor education "
In response to Reply # 25

>You pay the coaches millions because they attract the best
>players and help elevate the school. I went to VCU. When we
>beat Kansas to make the Final Four the university servers saw
>traffic increase 20% the day after the win.

You just summed it up. The coaches don't play. Without the athletes, they'd have no job. So why, again, are the kids not compensated for their efforts?

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 09:11 PM

28. "That is a stupid argument bruh"
In response to Reply # 26
Sun Aug-23-15 09:25 PM by legsdiamond

Coaches are paid to recruit and coach... cmon.

Kids get a free ride, thats 100k to 150K (maybe more) they get to keep in their pocket. If thry have a decent head on their shoulders they can get a degree in something meaningful.

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 09:26 PM

31. "Managers are paid to manage. Workers. Who also should be paid."
In response to Reply # 28

At any level. How is that stupid?

Overseers deserve checks on the cotton field, but not the pickers?

How do you sound, 1%?

Stop.

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 09:46 PM

33. "Slavery? You sound desperate "
In response to Reply # 31

Athletes are paid 25k or so a year, its called free tuition. When everyone else is paying for college and taking out loans these guys have a chance to get a free education.

College debt is real and these guys are paid in the form of free tuition. You act like not having to pay 25k a year is chump change.

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 09:55 PM

34. "You drank the kool aid and that's fine. But it doesn't negate truth."
In response to Reply # 33

Millions exchange hands for their efforts. Without the players, there is no product. Pay your players.

What if the NFL only paid the Hall of Famers?

That's how you sound.

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 10:17 PM

37. "RE: You drank the kool aid and that's fine. But it doesn't negate truth"
In response to Reply # 34

>Millions exchange hands for their efforts. Without the
>players, there is no product. Pay your players.

Without the universities there is nowhere to showcase their skills. There is a reason NCAA athletes havent gone on strike.

>
>What if the NFL only paid the Hall of Famers?
>
>That's how you sound.

Once you make the NFL you are paid according your potential. I'm not advocating for some players to get paid I college. All of them on full scholarship get paid the same amount and its much more than the average student.

A 100K is a nice chunk of change. They can always walk away of they think its unfair

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 10:21 PM

38. "RE: You drank the kool aid and that's fine. But it doesn't negate truth"
In response to Reply # 37

>Without the universities there is nowhere to showcase their
>skills. There is a reason NCAA athletes havent gone on strike.
>
>
I wish they would. It's a symbiosis and the administration should remember that.

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 10:40 PM

40. "It will never happen... "
In response to Reply # 38

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 09:29 AM

47. "they are not the only kids who get free scholarships"
In response to Reply # 33

every other kid who gets a full scholarship,
if they work on campus? they get paid
as a chemistry major, if i worked in the chem lab?
i got paid
work in the library? get paid
why are athletes the only people not being paid in this scenario?
its not just because they get a 'free' education
and its not free if you are the one bringing in the revenue

Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 08:50 PM

97. "This is basically my argument"
In response to Reply # 47

>every other kid who gets a full scholarship,
>if they work on campus? they get paid
>as a chemistry major, if i worked in the chem lab?
>i got paid
>work in the library? get paid
>why are athletes the only people not being paid in this
>scenario?
>its not just because they get a 'free' education
>and its not free if you are the one bringing in the revenue
>

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20763 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 10:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
36. "Because its not a job. Its school."
In response to Reply # 26
Sun Aug-23-15 10:12 PM by Heinz

Its in prep for the next step. Why don't they pay med students? The argument everyone has as to why student athletes get paid never makes any sense OR have any actual facts. They problems and facts they keep coming up with are the horrible degrees they end up with. WELL MUTHAFUCKA, do better in school. Pick better courses. The reason they don't is to make the it easier for you to get into school and actually stay long enough, but its still up to the parents and kids to want better. Why are mofos taking swahili classes and accepting that shit as a suggestion from the school. LMAO foh. You make your bed lay in it.

The problem is the system and where the money the school makes off the kids GO to. No it shouldnt go into the kids pockets or their families. Obviously it needs to go into the actual school (that has to be in better detail and needs to be addressed). Yeah these programs make HUGE money but thats why you go to those schools because the ones with lots of money is why a lot of them are good football programs. They go hand in hand.

____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 06:11 AM

43. "Exactly"
In response to Reply # 36

Acting like these kids are suffering is hilarious.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 09:35 AM

48. "med students dont get paid for going to class"

but, if they work outside of class?
guess what. they get paid. say if they work in any capacity in the hospital? they get paid.
unless you are talking about rotations - and these are part of their course work.

anyone doing work for the school that is outside of their course requirements, is getting paid

so whats the argument here?

anysenserobbed
Member since Mar 01st 2003
531 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 11:53 AM

63. "Schools do pay graduate students for their work"

The med student isn't a good one because they aren't providing a service for the university. Full-time graduate students--the ones who TA classes & grade papers--do get paid for their work while they also take graduate courses. They also get full tuition remission (like scholarship athletes) but it's recognized that their teaching work should be compensated.

That's the right parallel for "student-athletes." Somehow we have redefined the labor on the field as something other than "work."

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 01:54 PM

24. "and actually, this is not true"
In response to Reply # 22

>These kids definitely generate money and most of it is used to
>keep most of the womens sports afloat. Some womens basketball
>teams make money but most do not.

the notion that these kids are not paying for their scholarships, is a joke
they are probably the only kids on campus who are on full scholarships that they themselves have earned- in the revenues they bring to the school. the school itself admits that teh revenue they generate go to the scholarships

at unc, teh women's basketball team brought in 6.5 million in 2014... and generated a loss of 6.8 mill, granted, but the mens team brought in a profit of 25mil. come on. thats not only about keeping women's team afloat.

now, we can act like its only athletics that generates money for the school, but alumni contributions are also way up
and we cant pay athletes?

whats the reason for that?
even students on full scholarships get a job, on campus, and get paid
these kids schedules does not allow for anything other than sports

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 09:04 PM

27. "RE: and actually, this is not true"
In response to Reply # 24

>
>>These kids definitely generate money and most of it is used
>to
>>keep most of the womens sports afloat. Some womens
>basketball
>>teams make money but most do not.
>
>the notion that these kids are not paying for their
>scholarships, is a joke
>they are probably the only kids on campus who are on full
>scholarships that they themselves have earned- in the revenues
>they bring to the school. the school itself admits that teh
>revenue they generate go to the scholarships

No, this isnt true at all. You think all 50 or so kids in football scholarship are earning their full scholarship? Nah.. the stars of the teams are the main ones generating the revenue and if these athletes went to Arkansas Little Rock best believe they wouldnt be playing in front of a packed house every night. UNC is a brand... athletes play there because they know they will be on TV a ton and get exposure and a chance to make millions if they go pro.

>
>at unc, teh women's basketball team brought in 6.5 million in
>2014... and generated a loss of 6.8 mill, granted, but the
>mens team brought in a profit of 25mil. come on. thats not
>only about keeping women's team afloat.

Not sure what you are arguing. The mens basketball team profits help pay for other sports as well. UNC is a popular school, why shouldnt they profit from their popularity?
>
>now, we can act like its only athletics that generates money
>for the school, but alumni contributions are also way up
>and we cant pay athletes?

No, they cant. Spare me this bull about these kids having it so rough. I was broke in college and so are most students. They get free tuition, housing, food... these athletes arent struggling.
>
>whats the reason for that?
>even students on full scholarships get a job, on campus, and
>get paid
>these kids schedules does not allow for anything other than
>sports

and these athletes know it when they sign the letter of intent. These kids arent slaves. If they dont like it they can find other ways to try and get an education before going pro.

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 09:23 PM

30. "RE: and actually, this is not true (tiny swipe)"
In response to Reply # 27
Sun Aug-23-15 09:25 PM by Doronmonkflake

>No, this isnt true at all. You think all 50 or so kids in
>football scholarship are earning their full scholarship? Nah..
>the stars of the teams are the main ones generating the
>revenue and if these athletes went to Arkansas Little Rock
>best believe they wouldnt be playing in front of a packed
>house every night. UNC is a brand... athletes play there
>because they know they will be on TV a ton and get exposure
>and a chance to make millions if they go pro.
>

That "do it for experience" rap is medieval. Also, this hustle isn't restricted to higher education. Consider these quotes from a former Texas public high school football coach:

"A high school football coach making six figures may seem absurd until you realize that bigger districts near the suburbs of Dallas and Houston can rake in over $2 million per season, based solely on a bunch of teenagers in tights trading aggressive hugs over a ball. It's a cycle: Teams make more when they win, and schools care about making money from the games to pay off the expensive football team.

Football is a legitimate industry-driver here, and everyone reaps the benefits. Restaurants time their hours in order to pick up customers either heading to or from a game. Hotels know they will see a huge spike in business if the opposing teams have made a particularly long drive to play each other. Local television and radio stations bank on advertising revenue generated by the games. In Texas, high school is both your prime-time television and your religion."

(http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1750-bigger-than-nfl-5-realities-texas-school-football.html)

So everybody in town can make money off these kids' feet, except these kids?

And Texas has a fantastic record of sending able bodied young black men to jail for being "hyperactive" in schools. The School To Prison pipeline is well documented. So even the state prisons can make money off these kids' energy. But not the kids themselves?

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 09:38 PM

32. "Texas is a big place and some schools are huge"
In response to Reply # 30

I dont blame them for charging admission to the game. I mean, why wouldnt businesses make money off of the game? They pay city/county taxes that help pay for school salaries.

and I will use the same argument as in college. Texas football players have an opportunity to showcase their talent for a ton of scouts which leads to full scholarships.

These kids arent forced to play

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 10:02 PM

35. "You confuse enslavement with slave labor."
In response to Reply # 32

I'm not saying anyone is forced. In fact, the "fake tribalism" in my OP is the soft power placing this level of importance on a game can have on a developing adolescent mind. Mascots get beat up. Cars get overturned and burned. Over what? A frenzy that somebody advertises and makes money on annually.

And just because it's tradition not to let them have a piece of the pie they themselves made doesn't mean it has to continue.

What would be your perceived disadvantage if they did suddenly start paying these kids to play college ball? The same way they pay kids who work at campus credit unions and eateries?

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 10:30 PM

39. "How much does the star player make vs the dude at the end of the bench? "
In response to Reply # 35
Sun Aug-23-15 10:37 PM by legsdiamond

How much do you pay the swimmer and the feld hockey goalie?

How does a school like Wake Forest or Northwestern pay vs Ohio State? How much do you pay the linebacker or the drum major at Morgan State?

The disadvantage is a lot of schools arent making a lot of money from Football and Basketball. A lot of middle tier schools would kill their programs.

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Sun Aug-23-15 10:49 PM

41. "$omething. How does a wage get determined for other workers?"
In response to Reply # 39

I'm not suggesting they get millions.

Give em something that reflects the time you expect them to spend away from their academics and social life. Wanna set a cap at $9 an hour? Ok. But pay them for gettin up at 5 and running. Because you would pay them to get up at 5am and work in the caf.

What's so hard about this?

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 06:08 AM

42. "Whats so hard about free tuition, room and board being their payment? "
In response to Reply # 41

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 06:13 AM

44. "Can you put that away in an account for when your knee breaks?"
In response to Reply # 42

No. But you could if you were gettin up and working in the caf every day. So money is preferable.

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 08:08 AM

45. "you mean the kid who is in the cafeteria who is paying for books, room"
In response to Reply # 44

board and tuition?

That guy in the cafeteria who breaks his ankle or knee while washing dishes is going to be alright because he gets to put his 20 hours of pay in Vanguard? lol...

ok bruh

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 09:39 AM

49. "i dont get your argument"
In response to Reply # 45
Mon Aug-24-15 09:40 AM by akon

are you saying that other kids on full scholarships dont work?
the only kids working are those who have to pay tuition and board?

cause you seem very concerned about the fact that athletes get full scholarships
and this meaning they dont deserve to work

wel, my tuition was paid for fully... i still worked.
i had other things to pay for...
matter of fact, one of my scholarships when i was at columbia
was predicated on me working 20 hours a week
and guess what? they paid me

give us a good reason why they shouldnt get paid
besides they are on full scholarship

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 10:58 AM

52. "no other students work in evangelism for the school"
In response to Reply # 49

Athletes are the greatest ambassadors a school could ever have. UNC came to mind in my OP because of Jordan. Not whoever coached Jordan. That student worked for his school.

They should pay for it. Cause no brochure could do what he did.

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 11:20 AM

56. "The gym UNC basketball plays in is called the Dean Dome"
In response to Reply # 52

Dean Smith is one of the greatest basketball coaches on earth.

smh. Jordan wasn't Jordan until he got to the pros. They guy played in a UNC system and had a shit load of talent around him.

Dean Smith isn't just some coach bruh... do some research on why he did for players AFTER they left the program.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 11:34 AM

58. "and if you go outside the states"
In response to Reply # 56
Mon Aug-24-15 11:35 AM by akon

how many people know dean smith as compared to jordan?

one of the reasons i was very excited about going to unc
was that marion jones went there
it doesnt matter about going pro
im a proud tar heel- and i see tar heel shirts everywhere ive travelled
(including once in south sudan)

you arent seriously arguing that coaches are better known than the players are you?

and you know how shitty the ncaa is?
when dean smith left 200$ in his will for every player who played for him
(not that many of them need it, but you know, he was an awesome dude)
the ncaa had to clarify if it violates some rule
tehy are so concerned about athletes getting any money even AFTER they graduate on things related to when they were in school

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcedelman/2015/03/28/did-dean-smiths-final-act-of-kindness-violate-the-ncaas-absurd-no-pay-rules/

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 01:25 PM

68. "Jordan didnt become a global brand until 4 or 5 years into his NBA caree..."
In response to Reply # 58

Wtf are you talking about? lol

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 01:52 PM

73. "oh so it matters *when* "
In response to Reply # 68
Mon Aug-24-15 01:53 PM by akon

if thats the case, shouldnt dean smith be more famous than jordan since he's still at UNC?
shouldnt we automatically associate tar heels with dean smith??
because to be honest, when im overseas and im talking about the tarheels
i say, 'you know jordan went to unc'

come on,
what are we arguing about, really
people watch the ncaa outside the u.s
they get excited about the current players
most can hardly tell you who the coaches are- outside a handful

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 02:09 PM

76. "Dean Smith is a fucking legend in colege basketball you moron..."
In response to Reply # 73

arrrgh... it's so frustrating arguing with domeo,e with zero knowledge when it comes to coaches popularity in the college ranks.

God help this woman... she doesn't even know about the man who built UNC basketball.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 02:32 PM

81. "you really think i dont know about dean smith"
In response to Reply # 76

a tarheel who does not know about Coach?
wtf?

i have profound respect for Coach
and mainly its not because he was the best coach ever
but because he was an amazing human being to boot - what he did for civil rights, alone

so what does that have to do with the fact taht his players are more popular than he is?
and even on campus? does that mean we dont respect what he did for us?
thats illogical
and you know who would be extremely happy his players went on to fame and popularity?
dean smith. because he was also a very humble human being
so perhaps you need to stfu and stop name-calling

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 02:39 PM

83. "i can only go by what you type and that shit sounded horrible"
In response to Reply # 81

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 02:40 PM

85. "please quote what i typed that sounded horrible"
In response to Reply # 83

because now you are just reaching

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 04:30 PM

88. "you said.. "shouldnt Dean Smith be more popular since he is still at UNC..."
In response to Reply # 85

which implies you didn't know he passed away. You also minimized his popularity because he isn't known half way around the world. That is a silly argument.

It's ok, it's obvious you don't know about college sports and your view is based on athletes popularity once they leave the college and go pro.

how y'all in here with half facts and no knowledge of NCAA basketball history but swear up and down its all due to the athletes?

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 04:50 PM

89. "lol@ grammatical nit-picking to score points"
In response to Reply # 88

i also mentioned that coach left 200$ to his players when he passed
earlier up there.
seriously? you are stooping this low? just to score points
*i* dont know about the NCAA? me? a tar heel? really.

do you know how humble coach actually was?
he wasnt seeking popularity- he never did.
he'd be quite happy to be less popular than his athletes
if you knew anything about coach dean smith, this is one fact you would know for sure.

>how y'all in here with half facts and no knowledge of NCAA
>basketball history but swear up and down its all due to the
>athletes?

lol

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 08:17 PM

94. "I can only respond to what you type..."
In response to Reply # 89

No need to ask me about Dean Smith, I know more about him than most.

I followed UNC basketball since the mid 80's. I know all about Dean and what he meant to UNC basketball.

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 04:56 PM

90. "you went all the way to the grief stage in this debate? just stop."
In response to Reply # 88

Jordan is more of widely recognized icon for UNC than Dean Smith.

Water is wet.

Accept these things or do not, but makin it about coach respect is Reed Richards shit.

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 07:45 PM

93. "you admitted you didnt know Jordan went to UNC.. sit down"
In response to Reply # 90

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Tue Aug-25-15 07:28 AM

98. "what are you talkin about? I said jordan = UNC in the OP. re-read."
In response to Reply # 93

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Tue Aug-25-15 07:44 AM

99. "65... nigga, its right below your post"
In response to Reply # 98

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Tue Aug-25-15 07:57 AM

100. "you illiterate. I said I know jordan went because they sold his college ..."
In response to Reply # 99

The name Dean Smith means nothing to most people. So Jordan means more.

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 12:11 PM

65. "niggas sleep outside for Dean shoes? "
In response to Reply # 56
Mon Aug-24-15 12:18 PM by Doronmonkflake

Also, the only reason I know Jordan went to UNC is because they STILL get paid sellin his college jersey. And I bet he doesn't get a dime.

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 01:29 PM

69. "no one slept outside for Jordans while he was in college"
In response to Reply # 65

you guys sound dumb as fuck right now

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 01:50 PM

72. "im sure students slept outside to get tickets for the games"
In response to Reply # 69

you know... like we always do, for basketball games

because.... we love to support our athletes
in fact, we buy t-shirts of our favourite players.. no one ever buys dean smith shirts

you seem to really want to win this argument even when you are not saying anything
if thats whats going on here, carry on
but dont sit here and call us dumb as hell when...

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 02:18 PM

78. "you in here disrespecting one of the greatest college coache EVER"
In response to Reply # 72

a man who built the UNC program

a program that YOU are a part of and you calling me out?

LMAO

no one buys Dean Smith shirts...

y'all sleep outside a stadium named after him but you act like he is a nobody.

someone needs to swoop in with a cape.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 02:39 PM

84. "wait, point out where im disprespecting Coach?"
In response to Reply # 78

>no one buys Dean Smith shirts...

i actually do shop, for unc apparel regularly
its the only school gear i wear
so i actually know what im talking about
or....http://shop.goheels.com/North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_T-Shirts/pg/1/ps/60/so/top_sellers

>
>y'all sleep outside a stadium named after him but you act like
>he is a nobody.

dude, whats with the extreme talk?
where have i acted like dean smith is a nobody?

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 11:14 AM

54. "This is the difference between an academic and an athletic scholarship"
In response to Reply # 49

if they want the benefits of working while getting a full ride they are free to work harder in class and walk on to the team.

life isn't fair, all scholarships are not equal. I bet you had to keep a higher GPA then athletes to keep your scholarship.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 11:18 AM

55. "bruh, this doesnt make sense at all"
In response to Reply # 54
Mon Aug-24-15 11:19 AM by akon

>if they want the benefits of working while getting a full
>ride they are free to work harder in class and walk on to the
>team.

the reason they cant work is because they spend all their time in practice
not because they are in class
the reason they have to take easy classes
is because they spend all their time in practice
so how is this your remedy?
this, well, you shouldve known better and go do something else?
these kids want to play sport, they work hard as hell to get to where they are

why do you want them to not do something they love?

this is still not a reason for not paying them

lets make this easier; give us 3 reasons why you dont thinnk athletes should be paid
and it shouldnt be because they are student-athletes

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 11:24 AM

57. "1) No college debt after school"
In response to Reply # 55

2) Exposure
3) smaller programs would go broke and stop having athletic programs altogether

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 11:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
59. "They graduate with a worthless degree"
In response to Reply # 57
Mon Aug-24-15 11:39 AM by BigReg

its not like in 2015 HR is gonna get a hard-on for someone who was forced to major in "Sports Communications". That free ride ain't worth shit at the end of the day except for a chance MAYBE to get looked at by the majors. Graduating 'debt free' with a degree that can't get you a job isn't exactly winning.

It's the shitty unpaid internship of sports; a bulk of them play for 'free' in hopes that they get into the major league. The problem is the interns in this case are the main attraction and generate millions of revenue that they get a minimal amount of cut on.

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 11:42 AM

60. "u in here making zero sense"

this is one of those times where reply chains is a horrible way to debate anything bc the points have to be tied together

presenting the random quasi-facts that hold little weight means absolutely nothing when you look at the big fucking picture

let's tie as much of it together as possible

nobody is saying all collegiate athletes need to be paid...D2/D3 schoosl in fact don't usually have the same money or generate the same money (some D3 schools do)...

they have a hard time recruiting athletes who will help generate revenue to begin with and don't pay their coaches millions of dollars to largely exploit...

so it should be scaled...it can be easily scaled...

yes, they receive free room and board...which pales into comparison what they gain from their athletes...yes they get free tuition (which isn't guaranteed if GPA is low or when injury occurs)

also add to the fact that their degrees are often worthless (paper) degrees and the declining value of that degree in the first place...they simply aren't being fairly compensated

they are student athletes that largely have to prioritize their athletic careers over their academic...no worker's comp

this shit is easy...the reality is that if you can make billions off of them in 1 year...compensate them more fairly...it's that simple

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 11:52 AM

62. "I'm talking about D1 programs bruh"
In response to Reply # 60

Roughly 50% of D1 programs aren't making bank off their athletic programs.

MiracleRic
45200 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 12:35 PM

67. "which is why i mentioned D2/D3 schools"
In response to Reply # 62

saying that it's not difficult to scale at all based on revenue

but here is where the issue lies...pun intended

a lot of schools spend money on shit so that they can appear to not make as much as they actually do from their programs

or make a shit ton on 1 or 2 sports and act like so-called losses on other sports programs justifies it...and sometimes that's even true...but again..easy to scale

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 02:37 PM

82. "now you may be right about some of the larger schools cooking the books"
In response to Reply # 67

but let's be honest, outside of football and basketball how many schools are making money off these other sports like track, gymnastics, swimming, softball.

Akon even admitted UNC women were in the red. When you add up travel and recruiting expenses you start seeing how little these schools are making outside of men's basketball and football.

Start paying these basketball and football players and other sports will definitely get dropped.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 12:00 PM

64. "none of this really makes sense"
Mon Aug-24-15 12:01 PM by akon

) No college debt after school

so they shouldnt earn any money while in college?
when other full scholarship students are able to earn money?
and this makes sense? they are students first, athletes second
and yet the schools treat them like they are only athletes

>2) Exposure

to what? injury with no compensation? loss of scholarship? poor education?
because what happens to those who *dont* get that exposure?
how many athletes benefit from that exposure? do 100% of them get to the pro leagues 80% 70% (and you can include the overseas leagues)
this is a pretty shitty reason not to fairly compensate someone for the work they put in to generate you revenue
i get the slavery comparison, to be honest

>3) smaller programs would go broke and stop having athletic
>programs altogether

how do you know this?
where's the information that supports that if you pay athletes 10$ an hour, you will go broke?
when every other student working on campus gets paid and the schools seem to be doing fine

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 02:01 PM

75. "RE: none of this really makes sense"
In response to Reply # 64

>) No college debt after school
>
>so they shouldnt earn any money while in college?
>when other full scholarship students are able to earn money?
>and this makes sense? they are students first, athletes
>second
>and yet the schools treat them like they are only athletes
>
Athletic scholarships are different. if they want the flexibility to work than study in HS and get an academic scholarship. Plenty of smart kids do this... they have a choice.

>>2) Exposure
>
>to what? injury with no compensation? loss of scholarship?
>poor education?
>because what happens to those who *dont* get that exposure?
>how many athletes benefit from that exposure? do 100% of them
>get to the pro leagues 80% 70% (and you can include the
>overseas leagues)
>this is a pretty shitty reason not to fairly compensate
>someone for the work they put in to generate you revenue
>i get the slavery comparison, to be honest

exposure to scouts, exposure to alumni, etc. it's much easier to get a job in North Carolina when you played sports at UNC or Duke or NC State. Not every one will make the league and most won't even have a huge impact on the program. poor education? lmao... study hard in HS and you won't have a poor education. Some of these kids are athletes and that's it. Who's fault is that?
>
>>3) smaller programs would go broke and stop having athletic
>>programs altogether
>
>how do you know this?
>where's the information that supports that if you pay athletes
>10$ an hour, you will go broke?
>when every other student working on campus gets paid and the
>schools seem to be doing fine
>

when I get time I will dig for the info. I'm on a phone so that ain't happening right now. Too many people look at the UNC's and Texas and think money is pouring at all these schools in division 1. Most are breaking even because only the football and basketball teams turn a profit.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 11:07 AM

53. "most schools have a student pay rate"
In response to Reply # 39
Mon Aug-24-15 11:08 AM by akon

i think when i was at unc it was 6.50

i just looked it up, the library pays 7.50 an hour

im sure the schoools can figure out compensation for the athletes

so that these athletes can at least have some money in the bank,
and if they want to support their families- they could do so
we seem to forget the background these kids come from

and perhaps if schools have to pay- it would mean student athlethes actually have time to be students
because we can then regulate/ see how much time they spend in practice

and we also seem to forget they still gotta buy clothes, shoes, eat at a restaurant (no one should have to eat cafeteria food daily for 4 years), go for a show/concert, travel etc
they arent doing this with scholarship money

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 11:49 AM

61. "I went to U of Tennessee for a year. Athletic dorms had chefs"
In response to Reply # 53

cooking steaks to order.

These kids aren't eating trash like the rest of us.

They also get lunch stipend when they practice and school isn't in session.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 12:14 PM

66. "you sound jealous of athletes"
In response to Reply # 61

a kid had to go on t.v to complain about going to bed starving
before the ncaa would allow schools to feed their students
(outside the 3 meals a day, i.e.)
think about that. he had no money to go buy food, and the cafeteria was closed because he was late practising

>cooking steaks to order.

whats wrong with this? they are paying for it. that profit they generate every year? i do think they deserve the best healthy nutritious over the top meals they can order
why the hell not?
and on the days they just want to go to franklin street to buy a meal and hang out, they should also have the money to do so

and now... think about what you just said.. how many schools have these expensive over the top cafeterias?
and how many student athletes still have to get their food from the school cafeteria?

one of the best parts of being at UNC was hanging out at franklin st.
and yes, getting food off franklin st
that takes money.
which i had because i worked and got paid
i want student athletes to have this option as well

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 01:33 PM

70. "I'm not jealous at all... I just aw SEC players living the good life"
In response to Reply # 66

so I'm not falling for the starving kid with no money who plays at a D1 school.

it's college. we all missed a meal or 2.

hell, I had friends who were practice squad dummies who were paying out of pocket to get a chance to make the team.

I'm not jealous of college athletes, they can always become a regular student and work like the rest of us in the cafeteria or library if things get too tough.

MiracleRic
45200 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 01:46 PM

71. "it's college. we all missed a meal or 2. "
In response to Reply # 70

were all of you making millions for that SEC school though?

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 02:11 PM

77. "yes, i damn sure helped them generate millions by paying for my eduation"
In response to Reply # 71

MiracleRic
45200 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 02:32 PM

80. "try again"
In response to Reply # 77
Mon Aug-24-15 02:32 PM by MiracleRic

think profits and revenue this time

and again...try again

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 02:01 PM

74. "why should they want to be a regular student?"
In response to Reply # 70

when they are more talented than the average student?
wtf?
and you missed a meal or two after playing a game? thats stupid. if the school expects you to expend a crazy amout of calories, they should feed you. its not separate from the training

>so I'm not falling for the starving kid with no money who
>plays at a D1 school.

oh so these kids come from money? do you think the sec buys them clothes? and shoes? and gives them money to travel home? take their girl out? go for a concert?
uhm, they probably cant cause... practice.
are you saying sec is giving the kids money? and thats how they are not broke?

>it's college. we all missed a meal or 2.

and unlike you, i dont think any college student should miss a meal or two.
there's something wrong when most of us cant afford a meal plan (i couldnt).
guess what, at unc its tradition to protest things like this, because its completely against what we stand for a public institution.

>I'm not jealous of college athletes, they can always become a
>regular student and work like the rest of us in the cafeteria
>or library if things get too tough.

^^this sounds like a logical argument to you?
seriously, are you just typing to win?

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 02:24 PM

79. "a concert? dates? we talking about college"
In response to Reply # 74

what type of college experience did you have because the average college kid ain't doing none of that shit.

date night is late night in the dorms.

concerts? shiiit. if they didn't come to the student union it didn't happen.

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 02:43 PM

86. "dude? what? college kids dont go to concerts?? or dates??"
In response to Reply # 79

which shitty ass school did you go to?

geez,
thank god for carolinablue

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 04:21 PM

87. "my school had free shows on campus..."
In response to Reply # 86

and we threw dope ass hip hop shows in art galleries and dive bars.

we were the first promoters to bring Black Starr to VA. Jeru, Heiro, Bobbito, Rich Medina, etc...

and we made sure they were affordable because we knew college kids were broke.

and yes, my college dates were broke nigga dates... and I got a chance to really get to know them instead of spending what little I had trying to impress at Applebees.

It worked, I was very popular in campus.

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 04:59 PM

91. "but why does your experience have to be universal?"
In response to Reply # 87

Maybe things can change.

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 08:45 PM

96. "I'm just giving my opinion on this issue"
In response to Reply # 91

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 05:21 PM

92. "i actually used to think you were reasonable"
In response to Reply # 87

how wrong i was.

since you really want to win points,
here's a cookie.

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 08:42 PM

95. "I don't agree with you on this..."
In response to Reply # 92

sorry.

I also think talking about how popular Jordan is outside the States is a stupid argument.

If you said a current college athlete was a superstar outside the States you would have a point.

legsdiamond
79947 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 08:24 AM

46. "check out this NC State walk-on being given a scholarship"
In response to Reply # 0

he looks so sad.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ59F8Wz8-k

Now this dude won't make the league, prolly won't even see the field but he no longer has to pay for his education and that is fucking awesome.

College debt is real in America. These guys know what they sign up for.

MiracleRic
45200 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 09:43 AM

50. "why do people keep suggesting college is the only place..."
In response to Reply # 0

to showcase your athletic skills?

wtf

then have the nerve to bring up overseas...

High School, AAU, overseas ALL get scout visits nowadays...all you need is good film and the NFL scouts will be right there next to the colelge scouts...despite the fact that the 2 entities collude to keep the status quo

the amount of money student athletes gross these universities definitely should result in payment IN ADDITION to what often amounts to an honorary degree

pay them niggas...slavery and indentured servitude is mad strong

this is more akin to strong-arm pimping

akon
Charter member
27010 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 09:45 AM

51. "perhaps john oliver says it better"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8BXH3SJn0

Lobby General Discussion topic #12881167 Previous topic | Next topic