Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12872648

Subject: "Menjuries, share yours" Previous topic | Next topic
Doronmonkflake
Member since Jan 10th 2007
11078 posts
Wed Aug-05-15 10:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Menjuries, share yours"

Menjury: n. An injury caused by doin somethin you had no business, usually caused by ego, compounded by said ego's inability to admit the severity of the pain. --Flake, 2015.

I bought a Slam Man. Because I miss boxin and my nocturnal life cycle won't let me make it to the gym. I found one cheap on craigslist and it works. I looked up the specs. Filled with sand, it weighs 240. That sounds impressive to me. So I go get it today and rather than use the hand truck to get in the van, the little man voice in my head goes "Dude. You can totally lift that."

Surprise. I totally did.

Not a surprise, I can't move my right wrist past 45 degrees without it screamin in pain.

Why would I do such a thing?

Am I the only one? Ladies, too.

Da bayball, babeh. (c) Charlie Kelly.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Fine, just me. Before today, I fell off my old apt
Aug 06th 2015
Backflip attempt in high school, did not stick the landing.
Aug 06th 2015
Misjudged preparedness for cold weather.
Aug 06th 2015
High school, man. How did any of us survive?
Aug 06th 2015
      when you're that age you're just so. dumb.
Aug 06th 2015
           Was it your... men-iscus? ...That's my time, yall. God bless.
Aug 06th 2015
                that was terrible LOL
Aug 06th 2015
                     I kinda laughed, though
Aug 06th 2015
Trying to fix a ceiling fan
Aug 06th 2015
wooooow
Aug 06th 2015
aw man, there's nothing like getting electrocuted
Aug 06th 2015
      isn't that a thing with pain tho, that it stretches time perception?
Aug 06th 2015
      electrocution stories...the first time I realized that ignition coil pac...
Aug 06th 2015
           jesus. that's terrifying.
Aug 06th 2015
           yeah electricity is like
Aug 06th 2015
just getting over severe neck injury from wrasslin
Aug 06th 2015
ouch, cot damn.
Aug 06th 2015
all my injuries come from playing soccer, so they don't really count.
Aug 06th 2015
Bowling injuries are definitely some man shit lol
Aug 06th 2015
      haha, no doubt. my reply subject should have read "most of my...."
Aug 06th 2015
           youth bowling league, 1994, I saw Andre Rios pick up two bowling balls
Aug 06th 2015
I sprained my ankle during a tight basketball game... and kept playing.
Aug 06th 2015
I have a bad habit of hitting inanimate objects when I get angry
Aug 06th 2015
Injured my knee during a basketball game
Aug 06th 2015
I'm sorry, man. That's not cool at all.
Aug 06th 2015
      RE: I'm sorry, man. That's not cool at all.
Aug 06th 2015
Lunged for a loose football on sunday, felt something go in my back
Aug 06th 2015
prideface. that shit is real. "who me? I'm good." *weep inwardly*
Aug 06th 2015
      Haha exactly
Aug 06th 2015
      two biggest lying words in the world "I'm good"
Aug 06th 2015
fucked up my wrist picking up my roommate in the dorms
Aug 06th 2015
Good Samaritan award, at least.
Aug 06th 2015
dog helped me break my collar bone.
Aug 06th 2015
Your dog's face:
Aug 06th 2015
I think the worst of mine was when my back locked up in the shower
Aug 06th 2015
I howled at that picture.
Aug 06th 2015
I tore my calf muscle playing basketball, and finished the game
Aug 06th 2015
I'm just gonna ask. 12-9? Were yall blindfolded or...?
Aug 06th 2015
      HaHa. I dont get it...
Aug 06th 2015
           That's a baseball score. That's all I meant.
Aug 06th 2015
                RE: That's a baseball score. That's all I meant.
Aug 06th 2015
                     Ohhhhhhhhh, sense!
Aug 06th 2015

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 12:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Fine, just me. Before today, I fell off my old apt"
In response to Reply # 0

I was locked out and wasn't about to pay for a locksmith. I knew I left my window unlocked. Second floor, climbed a door and grabbed a ledge, door swung, hit my chin. Down.

Limped around the corner, sat in Subway and had a soda and waited for the locksmith.

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 12:59 AM

2. "Backflip attempt in high school, did not stick the landing."
In response to Reply # 0

The point of impact was squarely medulla. Tongue felt like it sploded in my mouth. Talked weird for a few hours. Tried to play it off and return to the campfire like it was all good.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23899 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 02:36 AM

3. "Misjudged preparedness for cold weather."
In response to Reply # 0

Either before The Weather Channel had the capability, or before they gave a shit, they reported cold weather coming in Friday night. I took this to mean that I should bundle up under my band uniform.

Menjury: We go on the field at like, 7:30-8, and it's fucking BLAZING outside. No time to get my thermals off. We do the halftime show, and I'm soaked to the bone. Temperatures didn't drop til Q4, and I go from boiling to freezing. No one else made my assbutt move, so we ride back to school with the windows down on the bus.

Walking fucking pneumonia.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 02:40 AM

4. "High school, man. How did any of us survive? "
In response to Reply # 3

I'm so scared to have kids. I don't know how my parents dealt with me coming to them with gashes and crap constantly.

Rjcc
Charter member
95021 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 03:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "when you're that age you're just so. dumb."
In response to Reply # 4

and you have no idea about how long life is, it's just not a concept you can recognize

my menjury is definitely my right knee, I tripped and twisted it badly my senior year and ran half the season with it still killing me on and off.

Now, whenever I go too hard or the barometer drops real fast I get a reminder of that

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 04:46 AM

6. "Was it your... men-iscus? ...That's my time, yall. God bless."
In response to Reply # 5

Rjcc
Charter member
95021 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 04:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "that was terrible LOL"
In response to Reply # 6

Dstl1
Charter member
56262 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 12:01 PM

17. "I kinda laughed, though"
In response to Reply # 7

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10987 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 07:56 AM

8. "Trying to fix a ceiling fan"
In response to Reply # 0

This was in high school, if I remember... the light kit had a habit of shorting out, so replacing it wasn't a huge deal. One of the wires on the fan needed to be stripped back a bit. I had left the wire strips downstairs. Instead of taking 20 seconds to run down and get them, I decide to strip the wire with my teeth.

The fan, of course, was still plugged up

I remember feeling my brain vibrate around my skull like an unbalanced washing machine. I hit the floor and stayed there for about 30 seconds. My only thought: well, that wasn't very smart, now was it

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4556 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 08:53 AM

13. "wooooow"
In response to Reply # 8

Rjcc
Charter member
95021 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 11:59 AM

16. "aw man, there's nothing like getting electrocuted"
In response to Reply # 8

to give you time to realize how much you fucked up while it's still happening to you

I was taking apart a busted power supply for my computer and I brushed the capacitor or whatever with my finger and got that vibration and a real warm fuzzy feeling.

lasted just long enough for me to realize how dumb it would be to die in a way that was completely predictable and avoidable

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 12:30 PM

19. "isn't that a thing with pain tho, that it stretches time perception?"
In response to Reply # 16

Ye olde chestnut, how do you experience a minute with your hand on hot stove versus minute with Gloria Pritchett?

What if you weren't really in contact with the current that long, but pain/increased intracranial voltage speeds your survival instinct and makes you slightly Neo?

Dstl1
Charter member
56262 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 01:41 PM

20. "electrocution stories...the first time I realized that ignition coil pac..."
In response to Reply # 16

produce a lot of power. Lady at the church I went to at the time told me her check engine light was on and flashing. I'm like....oh, there's a misfire. After church I take off my suit jacket, have her pop the hood and take a look. 04 Impala with a 3.8. I can feel the engine missing. Looked at the front plug wires...didn't see anything crazy. Reached over the intake to feel the back plug wires...one of them was arcing through the insulation...BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZBANG!!! Shit felt like I got shot in my whole right side. I tried to play if off, but my whole equilibrium was fucked up. We ended up going to Autozone and getting plugs and wires for me to do a tune up, but I was damn near working with one hand. My right arm was semi-paralyzed for the rest of that day.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 03:36 PM

25. "jesus. that's terrifying."
In response to Reply # 20

Rjcc
Charter member
95021 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 04:32 PM

32. "yeah electricity is like"
In response to Reply # 20

"so what if you couldn't control this body part at all?"

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42816 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 08:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "just getting over severe neck injury from wrasslin"
In response to Reply # 0

Taking a BJJ class, went for a one leg takedown.

Was going way too hard for what the class really called for, and was using poor form while doing it, and did the move on a guy who did Judo for 8 years. Recipe for getting spiked head first into the mat with nothing to break the fall (my arms were wrapped around the dudes leg)

Forehead bruising, immediately lost mobility in the neck. I've heard of dudes becoming paralyzed from this very move, which is scary shit. Also had swelling in the nose and a bruise under the eye.

Couldn't move my head from side to side at all for days. It's been three weeks and it's still tender doing certain movements. There are so many levels to it healing up. but I was back in the same class last night shaking the dude's hand who did it

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 08:18 AM

10. "ouch, cot damn."
In response to Reply # 9

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 08:19 AM

11. "all my injuries come from playing soccer, so they don't really count."
In response to Reply # 0

though right now i still have a slightly swollen and tender middle finger knuckle from bowling a few weeks ago, so clearly i wasn't using proper form. that shit's never happened to me before. it had been a while, i suppose that's why.

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42816 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 08:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Bowling injuries are definitely some man shit lol"
In response to Reply # 11

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 09:04 AM

14. "haha, no doubt. my reply subject should have read "most of my....""
In response to Reply # 12

my legs and knees stay banged up from ballin'. like right now. bruises all on my shins and my knee is a little sore.

any other injury i get though? definitely some dumb ass man shit Haha.

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 11:39 AM

15. "youth bowling league, 1994, I saw Andre Rios pick up two bowling balls"
In response to Reply # 14

And put them on his hands and sing " we will, we will--" and before he could say "rockyousockyoupickyouupanddropyou" (as we all did at the time) he made a big dramatic hand clap with the balls. The sound was like a cloonk and then a blinding scream.

He fractured his fingers inside the ball, apparently. That's a thing. So nobody ever do that. We learned that day

Buddy, you're a poor man, indeed.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86684 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 12:08 PM

18. "I sprained my ankle during a tight basketball game... and kept playing."
In response to Reply # 0

The game went on another half an hour. I ended up going from a partial tear to the dreaded *pop.* I felt it. It was devastating.

Of course I kept playing for the next couple of minutes after the pop until the game ended. We won, so I justified it in my head that it was worth it.

When I got home and took off my shoe to reveal my ankle was already the size of a baseball, I determined it was not, in fact, worth it.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13605 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 01:44 PM

21. "I have a bad habit of hitting inanimate objects when I get angry"
In response to Reply # 0

Fortunately, I only bruised my hand when I had to teach that coffee machine a lesson.

Street Poet
Member since Jun 07th 2002
662 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 02:25 PM

22. "Injured my knee during a basketball game"
In response to Reply # 0

I jumped for a rebound and when I landed the pain was so bad that I felt I was going to blackout. I had to sit down for a minute before I could drive myself home.

To make a long story short, I have osteoarthritis in my knee as a result of a torn meniscus that disintegrated over time. At the age of 31 I have a knee of a 60 year old man. My B-Ball days are pretty much done.

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 09:08 PM

34. "I'm sorry, man. That's not cool at all. "
In response to Reply # 22

Street Poet
Member since Jun 07th 2002
662 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 10:53 PM

35. "RE: I'm sorry, man. That's not cool at all. "
In response to Reply # 34

It's okay, I can still do normal every day stuff and light workouts without a limp so that's good. I just can't play ball as hard as I used to.

stankpalmer
Member since Dec 16th 2003
6840 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 03:14 PM

23. "Lunged for a loose football on sunday, felt something go in my back"
In response to Reply # 0

Had to play off the pain because of attractive lady company and kept playing.

I'm still hurting 4 days later.

------
so...if you're into DJing or nightlife...
or DJing AND nightlife...
peep Opening Set Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/openingset

also remixes: http://jonreyes.bandcamp.com

@stankpalmer

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 03:39 PM

26. "prideface. that shit is real. "who me? I'm good." *weep inwardly*"
In response to Reply # 23

stankpalmer
Member since Dec 16th 2003
6840 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 04:16 PM

30. "Haha exactly"
In response to Reply # 26

------
so...if you're into DJing or nightlife...
or DJing AND nightlife...
peep Opening Set Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/openingset

also remixes: http://jonreyes.bandcamp.com

@stankpalmer

Rjcc
Charter member
95021 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 04:22 PM

31. "two biggest lying words in the world "I'm good""
In response to Reply # 26

WHY DO WE SAY THAT SHIT

we are not good.

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 03:28 PM

24. "fucked up my wrist picking up my roommate in the dorms"
In response to Reply # 0

My first roommate in the dorms was this paraplegic chubby kid in a motorized wheelchair. We were out doing the whole freshman meet and greet circuit of events when his chair ran off the sidewalk and he fell. I ran over and tried to pick him up and my right wrist felt like it was about to snap: he looked like a lil chubby dude, but in reality he weighed around 200lbs.

I couldn't budge him no matter how hard I tried.

I hear off in the crowd "MIKEY!!!!!!!" and some big ass lumberjack lookin cat sprints towards us, yanks him up off the ground with ease and puts him back in the chair.

My wrist was fucked up for the first two weeks of college.
---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 03:41 PM

27. "Good Samaritan award, at least."
In response to Reply # 24

tariqhu
Charter member
17925 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 03:56 PM

28. "dog helped me break my collar bone."
In response to Reply # 0

doing a 400 around the track with my dog tied to me. he's on my left. nothing unusual since I did this a lot.

this day a lady happens to have her dog. as we pass, they're chilling on the side of the track. I make a point to watch my dog cuz he's reactive.

just as I feel like we've past them enough, I look up to keep running. perfect time for my dog to react and cross in front of me as I'm sprinting.

smash into the gravel. whole left side bruised. shoulder/arm won't move.

I stopped running with the dog tied to me.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 11:10 PM

37. "Your dog's face:"
In response to Reply # 28

http://crazy-frankenstein.com/free-wallpapers-files/cartoons-wallpapers/muttley-wallpapers/muttley-wallpapers-2-1600x1200.jpg

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 04:07 PM

29. "I think the worst of mine was when my back locked up in the shower"
In response to Reply # 0

Was getting ready for work one morning and was in the shower. Twisted my body to wash my ass and it felt like two discs in my lower back locked together. The pain was unlike anything I've ever experienced in my life and I was genuinely stuck in that position lookin like this

http://www.chrysler.org/images/learning-resources/large_discobolus.jpg

My wife came into the bathroom like "what are you doing?" and I told her my back got a little stiff and I'm trying to work it out, holding back a primal scream.

Eventually it got to the point where I could move again, but I was still in pain from it.

years later I told her what really happened. She laughed 'cause she thought she had walked in on me rubbing one out in the shower and was trying to play it off.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 08:21 PM

33. "I howled at that picture."
In response to Reply # 29

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5631 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 10:55 PM

36. "I tore my calf muscle playing basketball, and finished the game"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-06-15 10:56 PM by Sofian_Hadi

In the process i ended up with a slight bone fracture because it changed my posture immediately...but we won 12-9...and im a dumbass, im 31 and prolly wont be able to ball again...my calf muscle had so much scar tissue it will never be the same again

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 11:11 PM

38. "I'm just gonna ask. 12-9? Were yall blindfolded or...?"
In response to Reply # 36

Sofian_Hadi
5631 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 11:28 PM

39. "HaHa. I dont get it..."
In response to Reply # 38

You mean why do we play to twelve or how did we still win?

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 11:41 PM

40. "That's a baseball score. That's all I meant."
In response to Reply # 39

Sofian_Hadi
5631 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 11:43 PM

41. "RE: That's a baseball score. That's all I meant."
In response to Reply # 40
Thu Aug-06-15 11:44 PM by Sofian_Hadi

Oh. Haha. Yeah it was 4 on 4 at a outdoor college court so we go to twelve since there are bunch of people waiting to play next. I should say "they" since my balling days are over now.

Doronmonkflake
11078 posts
Thu Aug-06-15 11:46 PM

42. "Ohhhhhhhhh, sense!"
In response to Reply # 41

Lobby General Discussion topic #12872648 Previous topic | Next topic