Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Organix topic #1819

Subject: "OkayCyclist: 2018" Previous topic | Next topic
Numba_33
Charter member
16654 posts
Wed Apr-25-18 11:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OkayCyclist: 2018"
Mon Apr-30-18 09:02 AM by CyrenYoung

I don't have much to post here really; hopefully more folks will have more to contribute. Nothing to major on my part, but I'll be taking part in the Five Boro Bike Tour here in NYC. The only two gripes I have are the fact I will have to go across the Brooklyn Bridge to get to the event and to leave from the event as well. That and the fact my Sunday is probably going to be totally consumed by the event as I usually use Sundays as a rest day, but that's a minor concern.

What should I look out for in terms of concerns? I think I saw something last year where there was a bottleneck for the tour because of some type of construction? Also, which of the bridges is fairly steep? Is the Verrazano Bridge tough to traverse?

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
TD Bank Five Borough Bike Tour...
Apr 29th 2018
Thanks for the warning about those two bridges
May 01st 2018
The Five Boro tour wasn't too bad.
May 06th 2018
      congrats!..
May 07th 2018
           I signed up for the Transportation Alternatives Century ride
May 07th 2018
                riding in nyc...
May 08th 2018
                     Thanks for the advise there.
May 09th 2018
                          the boogie down...
May 10th 2018
                               I don't know if I'll EVER ride my bike in the BX
Jul 16th 2018
                                    you've traveled all over the world...
Jul 16th 2018

CyrenYoung
Charter member
31051 posts
Sun Apr-29-18 02:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "TD Bank Five Borough Bike Tour..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun May-06-18 11:31 AM by CyrenYoung

>I don't have much to post here really; hopefully more folks
>will have more to contribute. Nothing to major on my part, but
>I'll be taking part in the Five Boro Bike Tour here in NYC.
>The only two gripes I have are the fact I will have to go
>across the Brooklyn Bridge to get to the event and to leave
>from the event as well. That and the fact my Sunday is
>probably going to be totally consumed by the event as I
>usually use Sundays as a rest day, but that's a minor
>concern.

>What should I look out for in terms of concerns? I think I saw
>something last year where there was a bottleneck for the tour
>because of some type of construction? Also, which of the
>bridges is fairly steep? Is the Verrazano Bridge tough to
>traverse?

about the five borough:

• while the brooklyn bridge is the closest to the starting line (lower manhattan), you can also use the manhattan bridge as an alternative route. *if you're concerned about pedestrian traffic, the bridge is relatively empty at that hour (mostly cyclist & runners).

• this is, indeed, an all-day event. most people won't make it back to the south street sea port ferry until dusk.

• the route will include 5 bridges, with the 59th street & the verrazano being the most arduous inclines. while they aren't extremely steep, the length of their inclines provide a solid challenge.

• this tour attracts thousands of cyclist of all ages/experience (or lack thereof). as such, your awareness is crucial at all times. bottlenecks happen (esp to start the event), but not often.

• weather: be prepared for cooler temps/rain.

as always: have fun, be safe, and keep your head on a swivel.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Numba_33
Charter member
16654 posts
Tue May-01-18 10:26 AM

2. "Thanks for the warning about those two bridges"
In response to Reply # 1

I have no clue how long it'll take me, but I aim to get back home safely towards the middle of the afternoon, since I do have to go back to work the following Monday. This weekend appears to have pleasant weather, so that's one bit of good news. Hopefully the roughest stretch of the event will be using the Brooklyn Bridge to leave Manhattan at the end. I'm assuming using the Verrazano to leave Staten Island to get back into Bay Ridge isn't an option once the event is over.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Numba_33
Charter member
16654 posts
Sun May-06-18 02:23 PM

3. "The Five Boro tour wasn't too bad."
In response to Reply # 1

I was assigned to the second wave of starters, which meant I should have started at 8:10, but I got to the starting mark early enough to leave with the first wave. The first wave didn't move until a good 10-15 minutes after the scheduled time, which was annoying. There was some positive aspects to the event: 1) I didn't have to take any breaks during the event, which I am personally proud of, although I should have take a brief break to blow my nose as I was breathing through my mouth for about the last 3/5th of the event 2) it took me a little under 3 hours to complete the tour. One bad aspect is that I started to hit the wall as I hit the BQE and truly felt the ascend of the Verrazano Bridge. I suppose that's a sign I need to improve on my cardio, which it good motivation to notch up my gym regimen.

It's also good that it didn't rain like it was supposed to today.

This event also piques my interest in taking part in a Century event, but I don't know if I'm in good enough shape for that at the moment.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
31051 posts
Mon May-07-18 01:05 PM

4. "congrats!.."
In response to Reply # 3

..congrats on completing your 1st TD Bank Five Borough Bike Tour.

40+ plus miles of some of the most diverse terrain you will ever find in a major metropolitan area. the neighborhoods are eclectic, the views are incredible. its an entirely unique way of experiencing the heart & soul of nyc. the fact that you completed the route without utilizing rest stops is a solid indicator of strength & endurance. this was also the 1st year without rain in quite some time.

that being said, let's talk about pacing.

if you plan to tackle a century ride this season, its well within your grasp. however, you'll need to seriously consider pacing in order to complete that challenge. rest areas give you a chance to stretch your legs, use the restroom, refuel, and recharge. all of these things are essential to completing tours of 40 miles or more. fortunately, the century rides have options for shorter routes as well.

anyone training to complete the full century route should begin with moderately challenging routes, increasing route length to improve endurance and pacing.

Numba_33
Charter member
16654 posts
Mon May-07-18 02:12 PM

5. "I signed up for the Transportation Alternatives Century ride"
In response to Reply # 4

about 20 or so minutes after I made that response yesterday. I imagine it's going to take 8 or so hours to complete the century ride, so I most definitely will stop at the designated rest stops. I definitely have no desire to ride on my bicycle for the 8 or so hours non-stop.

Regarding the Five Boro Bike Tour, I kind of regret not stopping in a sense because I didn't really look around the city as I was biking; I was just focused on completing the ride as quickly as possible to see what I was capable of. I might try to slow things down a bit if and when I register next year. That leg burn I felt while trying to get up the Verrazano Bridge is good motivation to step up my gym regimen, which I am thankful for.

I was looking at some YouTube videos for the Transportation Alternatives Century ride for last year and I was a bit worried that there weren't enough makers for riders to navigate the route. That coupled with the fact the roads aren't closed off like they are for the Five Boro Bike tour give me some alarm, but hopefully that road marker issue is resolved for this 2018 Century Ride.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
31051 posts
Tue May-08-18 11:52 AM

6. "riding in nyc..."
In response to Reply # 5

>I was looking at some YouTube videos for the Transportation
>Alternatives Century ride for last year and I was a bit
>worried that there weren't enough makers for riders to
>navigate the route. That coupled with the fact the roads
>aren't closed off like they are for the Five Boro Bike tour
>give me some alarm, but hopefully that road marker issue is
>resolved for this 2018 Century Ride.

..your concerns are well warranted. as an avid cyclist in nyc for more than 15 yrs, I'm always concerned about safety hazards on cycling event routes (esp events that don't include complete closure of the route from all other traffic). the road markers and volunteers are crucial components to cycling events (google maps won't always save the day). *please note: they haven't made much improvement on road markers for century rides over the past few years, so i wouldn't expect that to change.

however, that shouldn't discourage you from participating in the events that interest you. it just means that you need to be more aware (ie: prep for the event should include casing the actual route in person, even it it means more than one run in stages).

Numba_33
Charter member
16654 posts
Wed May-09-18 10:00 AM

7. "Thanks for the advise there."
In response to Reply # 6

I suppose I'll take a look at the route on Google Maps and in person this summer to familiarize myself with the route. One thing I have to invest in for that Century ride are those padded bicycle shorts; I was in some serious pain for the last fifth or so of the Five Boro, so I'm sure that'll only ramp up for the Century Ride.

I also hope this Century ride goes through the Bronx more than the Bike Tour did; I think I was literally in the Bronx for less than five minutes on Sunday.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
31051 posts
Thu May-10-18 11:08 AM

8. "the boogie down..."
In response to Reply # 7

>I suppose I'll take a look at the route on Google Maps and in
>person this summer to familiarize myself with the route. One
>thing I have to invest in for that Century ride are those
>padded bicycle shorts; I was in some serious pain for the last
>fifth or so of the Five Boro, so I'm sure that'll only ramp up
>for the Century Ride.

padded compression shorts are certainly a smart investment for tours. what saddle are you currently using?

>I also hope this Century ride goes through the Bronx more than
>the Bike Tour did; I think I was literally in the Bronx for
>less than five minutes on Sunday.

*the 5Boro & century tours only give you a glimpse of the bronx. if you really want to see bx, sign up for the 2018 Tour de Bronx. fair warning: while its less than 50 miles, the steep inclines along this route are a serious challenge.

13Rose
Charter member
19335 posts
Mon Jul-16-18 10:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I don't know if I'll EVER ride my bike in the BX"
In response to Reply # 8

Not for real anyway. They can keep those hills.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

CyrenYoung
Charter member
31051 posts
Mon Jul-16-18 11:24 AM

10. "you've traveled all over the world..."
In response to Reply # 9

..what's a few more hills?

lol.

Lobby Organix topic #1819 Previous topic | Next topic